• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Montresor

So I practically blind bought the 1600-point pack yesterday night. I needed a massive Red Dead fix. I'm reading up on everything Liars and Cheats came with... and I come across 7 new gang hideouts. My heart is melting. ^_^ I used to love getting a big posse and just going from hideout to hideout. Now there's 7 new places to add to the mix. ^_^ Should be fun to go for that posse point achievement.

edit:

Can someone please answer this question:

Liars and Cheat has 4 new hunting grounds.

Err, what do they mean by that? Are there four new areas to explore in free roam or what?

OchreHand

I still ocassionally pop this game in just to marvel at the world... I think it has some of the best sunsets and sunrises I've ever seen in a game. But why oh why can't we
play as John again? Hmm, it would be a brilliant move for R* to DLC another single player campaign as John..i bet it would sell well because a lot of people, including me, can't stand that wimpy kid's voice :-/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ShinAmano said:
I just finished Undead Nightmare and have to say this was a massive letdown after how fantastic the main game was. Everything in UN felt like a chore...oh well I wont let it sour my thoughts on RDR as it is a fantastic game.

Yeah, Undead Nightmare is boring, unlike RDR, it did nothing for me, it was an opportunity missed to do a unique and brilliant idea with the setting and the gameplay, Alien invasion, a war,cowboys with new guns in that old setting, or something with Red ( from Red dead revolver) would have been more interesting than zombies.

I wonder if Rockstar will do Episodes like h The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony or go straight to Red Dead 3.

Totobeni said:
Yeah, Undead Nightmare is boring, unlike RDR, it did nothing for me, it was an opportunity missed to do a unique and brilliant idea with the setting and the gameplay, Alien invasion, a war,cowboys with new guns in that old setting, or something with Red ( from Red dead revolver) would have been more interesting than zombies.

I wonder if Rockstar will do Episodes like h The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony or go straight to Red Dead 3.

Well in true Rockstar fashion, I don't think they'll revisit New Austin again, which is a little sad.

daviyoung said:

Well, I haven't bought it yet.

Before now all I'd been hearing was "best DLC ever",this is the first negative criticism I've heard and it's got me rather conflicted. I wouldn't want it to sour my opinion of the game.

daviyoung

Banned
Well I enjoyed it, fun little diversion but nothing groundbreaking that's for sure. It's just Red Dead Redemption with zombies, mythical creatures and a few new missions and weapons.

Maybe wait for a sale if you're not too sure about it.

Hey You

I think the majority of the people who Bought Undead Nightmare really liked it, don't get turned off by a few negitive reviews.

Look into it if your really not sure, if you have that Red Dead Itch or want to get a DLC but don't know which one, get Undead Nightmare.

Pennybags

I had a good bit of fun playing in a free-roam party yesterday. An enemy posse was busy harassing and following us wherever we went, so we high-tailed it on over to El Presidio.

We recruited some random players and defended against the enemies' multiple-day siege of our fortress, cannon and gatling fire raging constantly!

toasty_T said:
Well, I haven't bought it yet.

Before now all I'd been hearing was "best DLC ever",this is the first negative criticism I've heard and it's got me rather conflicted. I wouldn't want it to sour my opinion of the game.

Why the hell are you letting the minority affect your opinion? There's a few people on this forum that hate RDR and think it's a horrible game, a sentiment I'm sure you disagree with. If you liked RDR, odds are you'll love Undead.

Can someone tell me how far away from the end of the game am I.

I am up to the bit where I finished using the machine gun, and was told the guy fled to mexico.

P.S sorry but I don't know how to use the hide tags on gaf.

burgerdog

flipswitch said:
Can someone tell me how far away from the end of the game am I.

I am up to the bit where I finished using the machine gun, and was told the guy fled to mexico.

P.S sorry but I don't know how to use the hide tags on gaf.

Not close, you just reached the 33% mark(story wise.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Totobeni said:
Official Threads for DLCs are the worst trend in Gaf history ever (yeah even worse than X-company appreciated threads and Miyamoto's gifs)

Having OTs for DLC that offer significant new content aren't a bad idea at all. It's not as though there are OTs for Mega Man 9's Hard mode or RE5 Versus.

Anyone know what the release date is for the GOTY/Ultimate Edition of RDR is? I was googling and read something about a strategy guide being listed, so a GOTY should be coming out soon.

I hit 100% on 360, got a PS3 recently and was thinking of hitting 100% on that too. By 100%, I mean 100% in single player, I didn't do the grind to level 50 or any of those super rough MP achievements.

Gribbix

nismogrendel said:
Anyone know what the release date is for the GOTY/Ultimate Edition of RDR is? I was googling and read something about a strategy guide being listed, so a GOTY should be coming out soon.

I hit 100% on 360, got a PS3 recently and was thinking of hitting 100% on that too. By 100%, I mean 100% in single player, I didn't do the grind to level 50 or any of those super rough MP achievements.
Both Amazon and Gamestop have product entries for the GOTY edition strategy guide. Amazon lists an April release date which is obviously incorrect. Gamestop lists a July release date. A summer release makes a lot of sense to me.

Gribbix said:
Both Amazon and Gamestop have product entries for the GOTY edition strategy guide. Amazon lists an April release date which is obviously incorrect. Gamestop lists a July release date. A summer release makes a lot of sense to me.

It will probably be just like GTA4 complete right? Two discs, one with the game and one with undead nightmare?

When I got the DLC on live I bought them as they came out, does all of the current DLC come on the undead nightmare disc?

coldvein

Banned
having trouble getting to sleep tonight so i decided to pop in red dead redemption. i'm hunting rabbits and picking flowers. i think sleep will come soon. ahhh it's a pretty game tho.

Yeah boy! 100%!!! Took 37 hours and 44 minutes.

Usually I'd find picking up the odds and ends to reach 100% in a game to be excruciatingly tedious but there was something oddly satisfying about skinning skunks and chasing down bears with a hunting knife.

I was disappointed in the last few Master Hunter challenges. I understand that the legendary animals weren't going to exactly have superpowers and miraculously put a greater fight against 5 .45 cal rounds to the head but they should have at least been hard to track down. Maybe they only showed themselves at certain times, or they needed bait, something. The last two Master Hunter challenges were a cake walk.

I still have a few single player achievements I haven't done so I'll get on those before I move onto Undead Nightmare (or something else entirely)

Question about the DLC; will I get my inventory from the main game later on? I played a bit and I had this busted down horse and my first revolver. I want my Legend of the West outfit!

toasty_T said:

Usually I'd find picking up the odds and ends to reach 100% in a game to be excruciatingly tedious but there was something oddly satisfying about skinning skunks and chasing down bears with a hunting knife.

I was disappointed in the last few Master Hunter challenges. I understand that the legendary animals weren't going to exactly have superpowers and miraculously put a greater fight against 5 .45 cal rounds to the head but they should have at least been hard to track down. Maybe they only showed themselves at certain times, or they needed bait, something. The last two Master Hunter challenges were a cake walk.

I still have a few single player achievements I haven't done so I'll get on those before I move onto Undead Nightmare (or something else entirely)

Question about the DLC; will I get my inventory from the main game later on? I played a bit and I had this busted down horse and my first revolver. I want my Legend of the West outfit!

By DLC, you mean undead nightmare right? If I remember correctly, you will unlock weapons by saving towns/forts/etc.

If you are looking for a good hunting challenge, the last beast you have to track down in UN is pretty tough to locate (at least it was for me).

Montresor

I think I'm going to have to give up on completing Red Dead Redemption. I've 100%'d the main single player and I'm close to 100%'ing the Undead campaign, but there are three Free Roam achievements that are going to be my bane. =(

toasty_T said:

Here's a post I made on the Undead thread (that thread is a corpse right now):

My initial thoughs on Undead Nightmare:

--In the first hour of the game there are so many good cutscenes it makes you cry. I love the voice acting in this game, and I adore the characters.

--The game's missions are fun. They're nothing extraordinary, just like the first Red Dead, but what makes the game so beautifully compelling is how they somehow make mundane aspects of a cowboy's life (like herding cows, lassoing people, breaking horses, patrolling farms, hunting treasure, collecting desert sage, etc...) so addictive.

--Snake Oil salesman asks me to collect him 5 desert sage, and all I could do was grin profusely. That brings me to my next point. So I love collecting desert sage. But the reason I loved doing it so much in the original single player and in free roam is because of the feeling of isolation in the majority of Red Dead's overworld. You're a lone cowboy, exploring a vast, deserted and beautiful landscape. I want that feeling of loneliness when playing this game. The single player has a myriad of NPC encounters, sure, but when you're hunting grizzly bears in Tall Trees, it's just your knife, the crickets chirping, the moonlight shining on your back, and the heavy footsteps of grizzly bears lurking in the shadow. When doing those mundane side quests there should just be your character and the beautiful wilderness and nothing else.

But in Undead Nightmare, there's zombies freaking everywhere. I can't sit down in between Armadillo and Hennigen's Stead and just calmly take in the sights, looking to skin a snake, or hunt a rabbit, or pick up a plant, etc...

Aside from that, I like all the new DLC in the game.

Montresor

Finally got every achievement in the game and I still can't put the game down. There's no reason for me to touch single player again, but I cannot put the free roam mode down. I still want to harvest wooly blue curls in Perdido to complete free roam journal challenges, ride my horse around to hit travel milestones, hit up hideouts for experience, try to earn my buffalo at level 40, etc...

Most of all I love playing free roam just to take in the game's landscape. I was hunting for prairie poppies in the Great Plains area in free roam. I was at the northernmost portion of the Great Plains, so I was near the roaring river. There was an in-game sunset and my brother and I were in awe at how good it looked, how the river looked with pink light bouncing off it.

The only problem is some stupid ass achievements that are stupid hard to get legitimately, but whatever. Beauty of a game, if only for its amazing landscape.

I picked this game up the other day and have barely put it down.

Just beat the main story. Holy shit.
What a masterpiece.

Jesus that ending was so sad. I'm pretty much depressed over it.

Man. What a game.

Angst

Buckethead said:

What a masterpiece.

Man. What a game.
Did you see the credits? If not, you still have things to do :)

I'm basing this on your spoiler, which makes me think you
quit playing when Marston died

Angst said:
Did you see the credits? If not, you still have things to do :)

I'm basing this on your spoiler, which makes me think you
quit playing when Marston died
Yes I saw the credits.
About 70% complete at the moment, will get 100 soon enough.

Did they really need to kill him goddamn ,_,

Angst

Buckethead said:
Yes I saw the credits.
About 70% complete at the moment, will get 100 soon enough.

Did they really need to kill him goddamn ,_,
I really liked the ending, it felt very true to the genre.
too bad Marston Jr has a pretty whiny voice though, makes you miss John all the more

Fjordson

Buckethead said:

What a masterpiece.

Man. What a game.
Such a crazy ending.

I'm hoping for a prequel next. Complete with John in his younger days as part of Dutch's gang.

Plus, that would
solve the issue of dealing with Jack. Even if they brought in a new protagonist.

Angst

Fjordson said:
Such a crazy ending.

I'm hoping for a prequel next. Complete with John in his younger days as part of Dutch's gang.

Plus, that would
solve the issue of dealing with Jack. Even if they brought in a new protagonist.
Unfortunately I think they're done with the western setting (for now at least).

Indeed. I understand his motivation or whatever but he is annoying as hell.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to another RD game but I'd like to see R* SD tackle something else to be honest.

And yeah the ending
was good in regards to storytelling but so painful as a player. Dude got fucked proper and is pretty unsatisfying in many ways. Especially that Abagail died and your son is a swarmy Johnny Depp hipster looking douchebag

Fjordson

Angst said:
Unfortunately I think they're done with the western setting (for now at least).
Oh, I agree. I don't think another Red Dead game is about to hit any time soon, but I don't doubt at all that Redemption's success has them wanting to do another one eventually.

I really hope it happens. RDR is easily one of my favourite games of this generation.

Hey You

Fjordson said:
Oh, I agree. I don't think another Red Dead game is about to hit any time soon, but I don't doubt at all that Redemption's success has them wanting to do another one eventually.

I really hope it happens. RDR is easily one of my favourite games of this generation.
Indeed. I do hope for another Red Dead Game. Doesn't matter to me if its San Diegos next game or later down the road.

I just hope/wish that more Single Player DLC's (Thinking on the scale of GTA's TBoGT) are in the works for RDR. So much potential and I'm sure alot of people would buy it, right?

Didn't Undead Nightmare sell pretty well?

Angst

Hey You said:
Indeed. I do hope for another Red Dead Game. Doesn't matter to me if its San Diegos next game or later down the road.

I just hope/wish that more Single Player DLC's (Thinking on the scale of GTA's TBoGT) are in the works for RDR. So much potential and I'm sure alot of people would buy it, right?

Didn't Undead Nightmare sell pretty well?
Same here, I would buy it day 1. Didn't really like Undead Nightmare as I didn't really enjoy the big change. RDR is grounded in reality with some wacky things, but UD was wacky things with a realistic location. But it was pretty cheap so no biggie.

Fjordson

Hey You said:

Absolutely. I loved UN.

Any and all future excuses to go back to RDR's single-player would be fine by me.

Moobabe

Fjordson said:
Absolutely. I loved UN.

Any and all future excuses to go back to RDR's single-player would be fine by me.

I always thought they should have given other characters their own DLC - imagine playing as Seth before his meeting with John!!

Moobabe said:
I always thought they should have given other characters their own DLC - imagine playing as Seth before his meeting with John!!

See, Seth was the only character I hated in RDR. He seemed a throwback to GTA, and I didn't think he fit the 'tone' of the story. It felt out of place.

Was that just me?

Lesath

Kermit The Dog said:
See, Seth was the only character I hated in RDR. He seemed a throwback to GTA, and I didn't think he fit the 'tone' of the story. It felt out of place.

Was that just me?

I think he fit in just fine as an insane greedy treasure-hunter type, and seems to be the norm as far as all the other self-serving douchebags you have to help in this game to get what you want.

As an aside, I accidentally spoiled myself to the ending quite a ways back. It didn't stop me from loving the game after I beat it, but
damn did it make me lose motivation to do stuff in the early game

Moobabe

Kermit The Dog said:

Was that just me?

He was annoying - but I always thought playing him before and during his madness would have been interesting. He always talked about being a treasure hunter with a partner I think.

bengraven

The only way they could have improved the game would be swimming and
Not using the same voice actor for Jack's two incarnations.

Beyond obsessed with this game.
Just passed 80% currently clocking in at 20 hours.

R* Social Club for this game is awesome. Makes going for 100% more managable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Undead Nightmare question :
Is there a quick and sure-fire way to get the Chupacabra to spawn? I've looked at guides that give locations, but unlike other 'rare' creatures, I can't get this one to appear on any of the supposed locations he spawns at. I've reached the final rank of the hunting challenge, so I really should find this thing at some point, but no luck so far

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Stuck at 98% or something here. One more challenge, some bounties and something else I can't remember. I so want to get back to this. Have to knock off my backlog a bit first, though.

Top Bottom