• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

bengraven

I actually consider RDR to be GTAIV, since it's the only worthy successor to GTA San An, which until RDR was my favorite R* game and one of my favorite games of all time.

Maybe a crafting system? Make new clothes from leather and furs, make necklaces out of teeth and claws to sell for more money. Upgrade guns.

I'd like to see Natives also. I could actually see R* make a Native American the hero of RDR2.

bengraven said:
I'd like to see Natives also. I could actually see R* make a Native American the hero of RDR2.

GOD YES, how did I forget to mention this? Imagine the dynamics if they had Confederate vs. Union, outlaws vs. lawmen, Native Americans, and animals all thrown into the mix with dynamic random events. They could even have a Native territory where 5 hours of the game basically turn into Dances With Wolves in order for you to gain their trust.

As much as it pains me, I would wait 4-6 years for this to come to fruition on hardware that wouldn't gimp the vision.

I'm glad this thread got bumped. This game is probably my single player game of the generation.

Super curious about something.

Through multiple play throughs I am pretty sure there are subtle differences in all the horses.

What I mean is I can swear that a Quarter Horse you get from Reyes ranch is faster than a horse deed Quarter Horse but even then a wild caught Quarter Horse has more stamina then both of them even after they all "trust" you.

I really do think they made it a little bit deeper than "all 2 Star horses are the same."

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bobs99 ... said:
Sorry for the nooby question, but is there a version of this game that comes with the add ons? I want to get the game, but the Undead DLC seems like a pretty big thing and I would love to get it along with the game if thats possible?
no, and DON'T pick up the Undead Nightmare disc like I did............. I don't even get why R* released Undead Nightmare and made it so it couldn't install as DLC. worst idea ever. Of course I didn't realize this until after I opened the disc and couldn't figure out how to install it. Sold it back to Amazon for a $17 loss and just bit the bullet and downloaded the DLC instead.

as for this game.... the fanboy part of me wants to see a sequel (or prequel, or just another story using the same engine/setting). But the true fan portion of me wants them to leave the franchise alone. Pretty sure they would never be able to live up to the expectations on a sequel. One of my top 5 favorite games of the generation. Undead Nightmare was fun and a great departure... but that's what it was.. a departure. leave RDR alone at this point. You'll never be able to top it.

spidye

cacophony said:
SO I'm finally gonna get this. One question: PS3 or 360? or does it even matter
I don't have a 360 but the framerate of the ps3 version ist pretty bad in the towns. it's quite distracting for me.
it's pretty safe to say rockstar games tend to run better on the 360.

borghe said:
no, and DON'T pick up the Undead Nightmare disc like I did............. I don't even get why R* released Undead Nightmare and made it so it couldn't install as DLC. worst idea ever. Of course I didn't realize this until after I opened the disc and couldn't figure out how to install it. Sold it back to Amazon for a $17 loss and just bit the bullet and downloaded the DLC instead.

as for this game.... the fanboy part of me wants to see a sequel (or prequel, or just another story using the same engine/setting). But the true fan portion of me wants them to leave the franchise alone. Pretty sure they would never be able to live up to the expectations on a sequel. One of my top 5 favorite games of the generation. Undead Nightmare was fun and a great departure... but that's what it was.. a departure. leave RDR alone at this point. You'll never be able to top it.

Thanks! Thats a huge shame though, its going to suck having to buy MS points to buy Undead redemption, I much prefer having physical stuff if im gonna pay cash. Why exactly should I avoid the physical version, will my gamesave not pass over or something?

bengraven

Anerythristic said:
I'm glad this thread got bumped. This game is probably my single player game of the generation.

Super curious about something.

Through multiple play throughs I am pretty sure there are subtle differences in all the horses.

What I mean is I can swear that a Quarter Horse you get from Reyes ranch is faster than a horse deed Quarter Horse but even then a wild caught Quarter Horse has more stamina then both of them even after they all "trust" you.

I really do think they made it a little bit deeper than "all 2 Star horses are the same."

If I remember correctly, there's even a little tooltip that pops up when you first break a horse that says horses you catch and break will be better than the ones you buy.

I might be wrong, let me wiki it.

Edit: guess I'm wrong, loyalty is earned by the way you treat the horse. Give it apples, don't push it so much (a lesson I need to learn while playing UN).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kuran said:
Egh, we need this on Windows ASAP.

I've played dozens of hours on both the PS3 and 360 ports, but I would gladly buy and play it again on PC. I can only imagine how amazing it would look on modern hardware.

dammit Rockstar :(

ZeroRay

This game would look mindblowing on PC. It's already the best looking 360 game (well, this and Crysis 2).

Too bad RS doesn't see it that way.

dustin

Neo Member
Snuggler said:
badass trailer, dude, that could have easily slipped by as an official trailer
Thanks guys. I wanted to make a longer one but I didn't really have the right amount of footage. Glad you liked it, show your friends!

Bukana

Just bought this.

I will try platinum it if I can. Can anyone tell me if there are missable trophies I should be aware of !?

Fjordson

Bukana said:
Just bought this.

I will try platinum it if I can. Can anyone tell me if there are missable trophies I should be aware of !?
I feel like the only one that I've seen people miss, and one that you're technically unable to do after you finish the story, is the "Spurred to Victory" achievement: Complete 20 missions with the same horse. Just keep that one in mind. Sticking with the first horse a certain someone gives you is the best way to get it I think.

I didn't play a ton of multiplayer so I'm not as familiar with those, but they're all pretty much just progression and performance related, achievable over time.

dustin

Neo Member
soldat7 said:
I'm just ticked that we never got any proper expansions like GTAIV. I can only hope that means a full-blown sequel is in the works...

Undead was incredible, I can only hope we'll get at least one more. I'd love to see one about Marston back in his outlaw days. And thanks a lot for the compliment!

njean777

I wish we got more SP content a la GTA4, also this on pc would be nice, 60fps would be nice. This coming from somebody that plays it on ps3.

Bukana

Fjordson said:
I feel like the only one that I've seen people miss, and one that you're technically unable to do after you finish the story, is the "Spurred to Victory" achievement: Complete 20 missions with the same horse. Just keep that one in mind. Sticking with the first horse a certain someone gives you is the best way to get it I think.

I didn't play a ton of multiplayer so I'm not as familiar with those, but they're all pretty much just progression and performance related, achievable over time.

Thank you.

So I got the random encounter where the guy says "they're going to hang my friend!"

Went over there, saved his ass, and guess what he does first thing?

Steals my horse.

W.T.F.

So I shot him.

$40 bounty, bunch of lawmen spawn all around, blam, blam, blam, I dead.

Double W.T.F.

No wonder they were trying to hang him.

Edvardelis said:
So I got the random encounter where the guy says "they're going to hang my friend!"

Went over there, saved his ass, and guess what he does first thing?

Steals my horse.

W.T.F.

So I shot him.

$40 bounty, bunch of lawmen spawn all around, blam, blam, blam, I dead.

Double W.T.F.

No wonder they were trying to hang him.

:lol

That made me want to play this again.

aristotle said:
He was talking about the DLC....

tumblr_lc9ge9dK1R1qzado8o1_500.gif

Vyer

hahaha

And yeah, great game. I actually kind of feel like the western setting works better for the GTA game type than anything else.

So I bit the bullet and purchased this. I notice a few bits of DLC are free? Should I save downloading them till after I complete the game or should I download them now? I know some games change a bit after you download the DLC like Assassins Creed.

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
So I bit the bullet and purchased this. I notice a few bits of DLC are free? Should I save downloading them till after I complete the game or should I download them now? I know some games change a bit after you download the DLC like Assassins Creed.
One DLC is free, the rest is not.

Most of its Multiplayer stuff, but I would recommend avoid getting Undead Nightmare till you've finished the game. I strongly recommend UN DLC after you've completed the game though.

The Free DLC is multiplayer type story missions. As far as I remember, it doesn't really spoil the story or anything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I sort of want to buy this game but is it just a shooting gallery + cutscenes? Or is there more to that?

Docpan

borghe said:

What's wrong with getting Undead Nightmare and RDR both on disc, used?

It would be a better value for me rather than buy each DLC piece individually.

Are you saying I can't play Undead Nighare from the hdd after installing in the dashboard? Or that I have to switch discs if I want to play Undead or the main campaign. If the latter, that's a no brainer and not a problem. If the former, it is, because the sound of my 360s DVD drive is deafening.

The undead nightmare disc doesn't come with a code card to redeem right? So no worries about buying used?

Montresor

bobs99 ... said:

Free DLC #1: Co-op missions. These are accessed from the multiplayer free roam menu. They dont affect the single player.

Free DLC #2 and #3: two new outfits for single player. If you download this you just get two new side quests (in other words, you get two new outfit checklist pages in the pause menu).

subversus said:
I sort of want to buy this game but is it just a shooting gallery + cutscenes? Or is there more to that?
It's an open world-title, very much like GTA. If you want to spend an entire day doing nothing but hunting Elk in the mountains, you're free to do so. If you want to tie up young women and place them on the train tracks, go right ahead. If you want to proceed the story, find a quest-giver and get shootin'. Or horse-breakin'. Or herdin'. Or huntin'.

bengraven

subversus said:

There's a lot of stuff to do. A lot of distractions. The action is fast paced and fun and sometimes challenging. Especially when you're hunting to finish challenges.

Top Bottom