• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Lesath

RevDM said:
Just dragged a roped nun for about a mile behind my horse. I kind of feel guilty about doing it lol

I looted her dead body too

You monster. The train would have ended her suffering sooner.

JaseMath

SuperAngelo64 said:
Is there really Ennio Morricone music in this game? I'm thinking of picking it up for this reason alone.

I REALLY enjoyed Red Dead Revolver, but I'm not very fond of 'sandbox' or Rockstar games.
Neither am I...at all and generally ignore most sandbox/R* games. But RDR is completely amazing. Give it a few hours though; for me, its been one of the best experiences I've had this gen.

JasonMCG said:
Neither am I...at all and generally ignore most sandbox/R* games. But RDR is completely amazing. Give it a few hours though; for me, its been one of the best experiences I've had this gen.

I actually just remembered that my brother has it so I'm just going to swipe it from him later. I'm just a huge fan of spaghetti westerns.

EDIT: Blah, after some research I realize Morricone didn't do any of the music :[

Chris R

Does skinning and gathering do anything? Haven't really seen what they do (if there was a popup I missed it). Digging the game so far though, the spontaneous side quests are also pretty damn cool. Had one where a guy said his friend was being hung, rode there, red dead mode head shot three dudes and then cut the rope ala Eastwood. LIKE A BOSS. Story is also getting pretty good. Never really been into Westerns too much before this but this seems to be doing a good job of roping me in (hahaha).

Dacon

Banned
rhfb said:
Does skinning and gathering do anything? Haven't really seen what they do (if there was a popup I missed it). Digging the game so far though, the spontaneous side quests are also pretty damn cool. Had one where a guy said his friend was being hung, rode there, red dead mode head shot three dudes and then cut the rope ala Eastwood. LIKE A BOSS. Story is also getting pretty good. Never really been into Westerns too much before this but this seems to be doing a good job of roping me in (hahaha).

Skinning animals gives you loot which sells for pretty good cash. Plants too, but I picked those mostly for challenges.

Lesath

rhfb said:

Well, you can sell the skins for cash, but I only really hunted to complete specific challenges. If I wanted to make some buck, I would just play Five Finger Fillet a few times.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game is not fun.

good:
-story
-presentation
-characters
-world details

bad:
-gunplay (too slow and easy even on hardcore)
-lack of variety of random events
-all missions are shooting galleries except some cowboy missions at the beginning which are horrible
-exploration is rewarded with more shooting galleries
-95% of mission can be solved only in one way, there are no multiple paths to tackle the objective

The game could be very good if it was an RPG and had
-dialogue choices that could affect missions and the story
-loot which could reward exploration in a proper way
-upgradeable armor and weapons
-some character progression

Then I could overlook a bland combat in some way.

I had doubts about the game and as I see now I should've listened to them.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and have no time for it.

subversus said:
The game is not fun.

I completely disagree. Watching the sunset is fun for me in RDR. Exploring Tall Trees and kneecapping bears keeps me entertained for ages.

I feel sorry for you, because RDR's charm clearly didn't resonate with you. A shame.

JaseMath

subversus said:
The game is not fun.

good:
-story
-presentation
-characters
-world details

bad:
-gunplay (too slow and easy even on hardcore)
-lack of variety of random events
-all missions are shooting galleries except some cowboy missions at the beginning which are horrible
-exploration is rewarded with more shooting galleries
-95% of mission can be solved only in one way, there are no multiple paths to tackle the objective

The game could be very good if it was an RPG and had
-dialogue choices that could affect missions and the story
-loot which could reward exploration in a proper way
-upgradeable armor and weapons
-some character progression

Then I could overlook a bland combat in some way.

I had doubts about the game and as I see now I should've listened to them.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and have no time for it.
Obviously you want RDR to be Mass Effect... which it isn't nor does it need to be.

subversus

JasonMCG said:
Obviously you want RDR to be Mass Effect.

well, as I said it could save it from mediocrity.

Well, I could settle at this:

-different ways to tackle objectives (no such thing in ME btw)
-MORE varied random encounters. I stopped counting how many wives I saved from hanging
-loot
-more weapons and better gunplay so I could feel that there are a lot of weapons not 1 reskinned weapon with various rate of fire

Screw dialogues and character progression, this would be too much for them to handle.

Unfortunately the game offers breathtaking vistas, best cutscenes and very strong story (so far) this gen but very light on actual gameplay. At least they could make combat more interesting. Enemies don't flank you. WTF I say.

bengraven

This and Halo 3 are my only Xbox 360 games. I use my Xbox for streaming.

Decided I wanted to replay this game and got the urge BAD. Unfortunately in the three or four months since I last played RDR my Xbox has started to overheat when playing games, apparently, and now I can't play 5 minutes without the game freezing. :/ Yes, it makes me even angrier that there wasn't a PC port.

bengraven said:
This and Halo 3 are my only Xbox 360 games. I use my Xbox for streaming.

Decided I wanted to replay this game and got the urge BAD. Unfortunately in the three or four months since I last played RDR my Xbox has started to overheat when playing games, apparently, and now I can't play 5 minutes without the game freezing. :/ Yes, it makes me even angrier that there wasn't a PC port.
Why don't you trade in that system while you still can towards a $199 4GB 360? Best to do it now and get some credit for it before it red rings. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6JKLC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Okay, I'm sure what I'm about to write has been said ad nauseum in this thread but from the moment you step on the raft through the moment you enter the first town in Mexico could be the most orgasmic videogaming experiences I've had this generation. The gunplay, the music, the atmosphere -- the only other thing I could compare it to was the Bioshock fight with Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers playing in the background. Simply superb, Rockstar.

That said, can someone please link me that epic Johnny Cash-like song that plays as you first ride through Mexico? Infinitely appreciated.

I just completed it a little earlier today, god im depressed, that was a fantastic experiance, I didnt really want it to end.

Im really depressed because I am not playing as whiny Jack, R.I.P. John :( It did feel good to kill Edgar Ross in the stranger mission where you hunt him down afterwards, and I was suprised that the credits played without a grand sweeping bunch of camera angles around the game world Bully and GTA style, missed opportunity there I think but considering the tone of the end of the game im not suprised.

It was amazing how the last few missions of the game were essentially 'training' missions for the new main character, and the interactions between John and his family were so different to how we see him the rest of the game.

Im going to have fun in multiplayer now, and finish off the single player stuff I didnt get around to like the Gang hideouts and stranger missions.

Are there any Bounty targets that are really interesting? I assume they are all along the same format, and ive done a few of them so may not bother doing anymore.

Dacon

Banned
Unfortunately the game offers breathtaking vistas, best cutscenes and very strong story (so far) this gen but very light on actual gameplay. At least they could make combat more interesting. Enemies don't flank you. WTF I say.

I'm sorry, what? If RDR offers anything it's an assload of gameplay.

I don't see how anyone could say that. Fun is a matter of opinion but there is plenty to do in the game for those that enjoy it.

Poona

24FrameDaVinci said:
That said, can someone please link me that epic Johnny Cash-like song that plays as you first ride through Mexico? Infinitely appreciated.

I hear about this so often, but for some reason I never had this song play. Just the usual ambient tunes in the background.

As soon as I got off the raft, it gave me another horse to get on. I didn't use it but called my own and then just went onward and saw that guy trying to fly (the Daedalus & Son mission), went up there checked it out and then got chased by some wolves so galloped onward.

Dead Man

Poona said:
I hear about this so often, but for some reason I never had this song play. Just the usual ambient tunes in the background.

As soon as I got off the raft, it gave me another horse to get on. I didn't use it but called my own and then just went onward and saw that guy trying to fly (the Daedalus & Son mission), went up there checked it out and then got chased by some wolves so galloped onward.
Yeah, some poor design by R* there. If you loot the bodies, use any horse other than the 1 provided, get off the horse in any way, the music will not play.

24FrameDaVinci said:
I started playing this roughly a week ago, without a doubt one of the finest games I've had the pleasure of playing.
I truly do wish I could forget everything about RDR and fall in love with it again. It's that good.

Mik2121

Dead Man said:
Yeah, some poor design by R* there. If you loot the bodies, use any horse other than the 1 provided, get off the horse in any way, the music will not play.
Woah.. so you got like 1/10th of the experience in that scene... :(

Dead Man

Mik2121 said:
Woah.. so you got like 1/10th of the experience in that scene... :(
Yep. Seems a pretty odd oversight. I had to go back quite a way when I found out I had missed out, it was worth it, but I should not have had too.

Raging Spaniard said:
I liked the idea and concept behind the ending, but not the execution.

Jack was just not developed enough, the whole idea of killing John is good but should have happened earlier in the story so that theres more to the ending than just find bad guy and shoot him, plus there are plot holes. Why wasn't John shot right after killing Dutch? Doesn't make sense to let him live for like, 3 days.

I dont dislike it because it made me upset, being upset is fine. I just dont think the dialogue and presentation lived up to the idea.

That's the point son!

John got murked before he could be there for his kid! = sad times

Sullen

subversus said:
well, as I said it could save it from mediocrity.

Mass Effect, the definition of mediocrty, is going to save Red Dead Redemption? While I love RPGs, not every game needs to be one. Especially not this game.

Also, using Mass Effect as some kind of RPG example to follow for reference is laughable to the point where I wish we still had the lol smiley. If you are going to use a Bioware RPG as an example (ugh) then at least use the only great one. I'll give you a hint, it's two words and it starts with a B.

Hey You

Played some Undead Overrun for the first time since last year. Damn its fun, funner than Black Ops zombies.

Rockstar should totally make a full blown zombie game complete with Undead Overrun and Zombie Free Roam.

Probably would be a hit.

Fjordson

thewesker said:
I truly do wish I could forget everything about RDR and fall in love with it again. It's that good.
If only, if only. Haven't been able to get quite as excited about any game since. Listening to the incredible soundtrack makes things slightly easier, but it's not enough =[

They've said pretty definitively that there's going to be no more DLC, right? What I really want is a sequel, but that's years away at best so DLC is my only hope.

Dat score.

Fjordson said:
If only, if only. Haven't been able to get quite as excited about any game since. Listening to the incredible soundtrack makes things slightly easier, but it's not enough =[

They've said pretty definitively that there's going to be no more DLC, right? What I really want is a sequel, but that's years away at best so DLC is my only hope.

Dat score.
I'm still questing in Mexico for the first time, and I'm going through what you had that first sacred runthrough and loving the hell out of it. This will likely be my game of the gen if everything keeps up as is. Nothing compares.

Dead Man

Fjordson said:

Dat score.
Dat soundtrack, too. *Massive spoilers* Made by a gaffer too, if I remember correctly.

Spoiler free version.

Edit: Also I seem to remember some mention of free dlc, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

Lace

Playing this on my PS3 recently did I notice how much I wished it was ported to the PC. Is there any possibility of this happening anytime in our lifetime. Great vistas in 1080p resolution... my eyes are ready.

ribbonlace said:
Playing this on my PS3 recently did I notice how much I wished it was ported to the PC. Is there any possibility of this happening anytime in our lifetime. Great vistas in 1080p resolution... my eyes are ready.
I could see a Red Dead Redemption: Stories for Vita coming out before a PC port ever does.

subversus

Sullen said:
Mass Effect, the definition of mediocrty, is going to save Red Dead Redemption? While I love RPGs, not every game needs to be one. Especially not this game.

Also, using Mass Effect as some kind of RPG example to follow for reference is laughable to the point where I wish we still had the lol smiley. If you are going to use a Bioware RPG as an example (ugh) then at least use the only great one. I'll give you a hint, it's two words and it starts with a B.

I never said that being ME could save it from mediocrity, ME was mentioned by somebody in the post above. All I said is that it could have RPG elements because gameplay is so barebones that it needs something to push you through except story.

For now it's like playing some euro-rpg but without any rpg elements and with wonderful presentation and story.

I put the game on hold anyway. I'm not enjoying saving some wife for 100th time, bringing back somebody's horse for 100th time and picking up some flowers in the desert.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I am trying for the second time to get into this game...and I just can't seem to. Presentation and voice acting are terrific, but everything else...especially the missions are very mediocre.

subversus

Chiggs said:
I am trying for the second time to get into this game...and I just can't seem to. Presentation and voice acting are terrific, but everything else...especially the missions are very mediocre.

That sums it up pretty much.

Poona

Dead Man said:

Oh.. you would have thought they'd have fixed that then if you really do miss out on a lot.

That was the other thing I did too. Loot the bodies. Saw them there, thought they might have had something good! :)

spidye

Chiggs said:
that's the problem with all rockstar games lately. gta4,red dead and la noire suffer from mediocre gameplay.

aparisi2274 said:
I loved RDR as well, but where do you go with a sequel?

Marston is dead, and his son got the revenge he was seeking. So do you continue the story with his son? Or do you do a prequel when Marsten was still running with Dutch and the rest of the gang?
No Country For Old Men?
i.e. western set in modern times

handofg0d said:
:( I didnt even know that there was a first time in mexico song. Now I feel ripped off.
I'm sorry you didn't get to experience it. It totally caught me off guard, I was floored by how seamlessly it all came together when the music came on and I was riding through the plains in a thunder and lightning storm. Awesome, very ominous. Someone else I read had the song come on during an orange and blue sunrise, too.

subversus

spidye said:
that's the problem with all rockstar games lately. gta4,red dead and la noire suffer from mediocre gameplay.

A liked GTA4 but because the city is so dynamic that you never get the same path every time you do a mission. It has a lot of clunkiness to it, but at least it's interesting to play. RDR doesn't have clunkiness (well, much less clunkiness) but it's not interesting to play.

also I looted the bodies and got the song.

spidye said:

It's clunky, yes. They all suffer from the clunky factor, especially GTA and LA Noire.

RDR suffers from it significantly less.

RDR doesn't have clunkiness (well, much less clunkiness) but it's not interesting to play.

You have no soul.

Antagon

I love the setting of the game, but at times it does get really boring. Missions are way too focussed around shooting. Killing hundreds of people also feels out of place with the general atmosphere of the game, which is somewhat realistic even with the weirdo characters.

Also, I think that the game should give you some choices. Right now I'm in Mexico and I've finished all the rebel missions. This means that I have to help the army, even if I don't want to. Helping the army rape women and kill rebels just doesn't feel right.

OneMoreQuestion said:
My first experience with handling a gun in the game was shooting rabbits.

I love rabbits :(

Never played the game since.
You stopped playing the best game of the past decade because you decided to off a few rabbits...? I have that right?

Top Bottom