• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

RevDM

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
My first experience with handling a gun in the game was shooting rabbits.

I love rabbits :(

Never played the game since.

I killed so many animals in that game t's not even funny.

brotip: killing wolves is the best way to get money since they always travel in packs and killing them seems to respawn more packs. you get a lot of money for the meat and pelt, and especially heart.

Wiggum2007

aparisi2274 said:
I loved RDR as well, but where do you go with a sequel?

Marston is dead, and his son got the revenge he was seeking. So do you continue the story with his son? Or do you do a prequel when Marsten was still running with Dutch and the rest of the gang?

I don't get why people keep asking this, why would the next game need to be a direct sequel to the events of Redemption? Just like Redemption had nothing to do with Revolver, and all the GTA installments are standalone stories, I'd expect the next game to take place in a different locale on the western frontier in a different time period with different characters. I'm sure a few characters from Redemption will show up in cameo roles too as they've done with GTA, but other than that I'm hoping for a completely separate story.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Antagon said:
I love the setting of the game, but at times it does get really boring. Missions are way too focussed around shooting. Killing hundreds of people also feels out of place with the general atmosphere of the game, which is somewhat realistic even with the weirdo characters.

Also, I think that the game should give you some choices. Right now I'm in Mexico and I've finished all the rebel missions. This means that I have to help the army, even if I don't want to. Helping the army rape women and kill rebels just doesn't feel right.
Yeah, John basically keeps powering through whatever task he has to do to get his family back.

He has no emotional involvement in most of the missions, even the particularly questionable ones. He's not a hero.

OneMoreQuestion said:

so killings people wouldn't be a problem. ... but since the game make you kill animals => stop playing.

mmm ok...

Fjordson said:
If only, if only. Haven't been able to get quite as excited about any game since. Listening to the incredible soundtrack makes things slightly easier, but it's not enough =[

They've said pretty definitively that there's going to be no more DLC, right? What I really want is a sequel, but that's years away at best so DLC is my only hope.

Dat score.
Theres going to be a few free bits of DLC but I don't expect much.

http://www.rockstarnetwork.net/content/1368-Free-RDR-DLC-Soon!

Fjordson

Wiggum2007 said:
I don't get why people keep asking this, why would the next game need to be a direct sequel to the events of Redemption? Just like Redemption had nothing to do with Revolver, and all the GTA installments are standalone stories, I'd expect the next game to take place in a different locale on the western frontier in a different time period with different characters. I'm sure a few characters from Redemption will show up in cameo roles too as they've done with GTA, but other than that I'm hoping for a completely separate story.
Exactly. As I said before, setting Redemption so late in time was actually a smart move. They have the entire old west to use for future games. And like you mentioned, GTA is the perfect example. Vice City and San Andreas were technically sequels, but took place decades before III with brand new characters and stories.
thewesker said:
Theres going to be a few free bits of DLC but I don't expect much.

http://www.rockstarnetwork.net/content/1368-Free-RDR-DLC-Soon!
Yeah, sounds like mostly multiplayer stuff. I'd love a new single-player episode, but it seems kind of late at this point =[

soldat7

Fjordson said:
Exactly. As I said before, setting Redemption so late in time was actually a smart move. They have the entire old west to use for future games. And like you mentioned, GTA is the perfect example. Vice City and San Andreas were technically sequels, but took place decades before III with brand new characters and stories.

Yeah, sounds like mostly multiplayer stuff. I'd love a new single-player episode, but it seems kind of late at this point =[
Still makes me sad that we just got zombie junk for the single-player. Oh well, as long as the sequel is well underway. I'm contemplating finishing some of the missions I never finished. So good.

I really dug Mexico, but it did overstay it's welcome a bit.

Hootie

OneMoreQuestion said:

vdoKj.gif

I am fiending for another Red Dead game! I'm thinking about replaying RDR all over again just to get my fix, but I don't usually replay games that much anymore. The first time is always the best, and I don't want the experience to be soured by over exposing myself to it. Anyone replayed it and still find it enjoyable as the first time?

Fired this up recently after I got a new PS3 following a YLOD and was bummed to discover that save files are locked. I didn't think Rockstar did this. No way am I playing through the whole story again, so I guess that means the game is useless to me now.

If anybody has any insight into unlocking a save file without hacking my ps3, I'd love to hear it.

DTKT

Quick question regarding Mexico. Im about to enter it through Irish but I still have some stuff left to do in the first area. Can I enter Mexico and go back to Armadillo later?

gblues

Banned
I don't have my own PS3 (yet), but I was able to play RDR for a few hours on a buddy's system, and I was pretty blown away.

I awoke in a tavern. I took a few minutes to stroll around town and get my bearings. I didn't have any real direction, so I perused the town. I found a wanted poster for a local pissant gangster, and thought that sounded like fun. According to the poster, the last known location of the outlaw was Rio Lobo. I didn't much feel like walking all the way there, so I went towards the stagecoach. Important life lesson: when you want to legitimately ride the stagecoach, approach from the passenger side. If you approach the driver's side, the driver gets nervous like you're going to mug him or something. I gave him $10 to keep his mouth shut and drove off.

The road to Rio Lobo was challenging. Sometimes the trail turned into nothing more than a pair of wagon ruts in the sand. When I got close to the town, I got down out of the carriage. As you might expect, my arrival wasn't exactly a quiet one and one of the gangsters approached me. He didn't like my attitude and tried to adjust it with his pistol. I fumbled for my gun, but got tripped up and soon blacked out. Next thing I knew, I was back in the tavern and very sore.

I was otherwise healthy, so I went back to the stage coach. I used the passenger side this time, and he dropped me off a good ways from the bandits' hideout. I approached again by foot, but I was still green with my guns and soon after I encountered the bandits again, I blacked out again and woke up back in the tavern again. I'll give these bandits credit--at least they were good sports and didn't loot my stuff.

Tired of getting clobbered, I went to the train station and climbed onto the roof. From here, I got out my rifle and practiced using the scope and targeting various objects and people. The townspeople either didn't see me or didn't think anything strange of a rifleman standing on the roof. I didn't actually shoot anything, but I felt a little more confident in my weapons now.

I caught another stagecoach to Rio Lobo, and this time I approached slowly and found a great spot on a hill with a pretty clear line-of-sight. I stayed low, got a good view through my scope, and put a bullet through one of the bandit's chest. He dropped instantly. Two others came running towards me, but decided to come around the hill instead of up it. I switched to my shotgun and waited for them to come around the bend, and took them both out without too much trouble. Unfortunately, in the scuffle, my actual target managed to get away. Coward.

By this time the sun had set. I captured one of the bandit's horses and started riding back towards town. My horse startled, and soon I knew why: I could hear bullets ricocheting through the canyon. But whoever was shooting, didn't seem to be shooting at me. I watched for a telltale muzzle flash, and soon found the shooter who was shooting into the sky.

I looked up. Silhouetted against the night sky were some birds--buzzards by the way they were circling. The shooter issued me a challenge: $10 to shoot down a handful of birds. It seemed like an interesting challenge, so I paid the man and started shooting. As you might expect, targeting black birds in the dead of night is not the simplest task in the world, and in the end the man ended up walking away with my money, laughing.

That's about as far as I got in that play session. I was very impressed with the animations, and even more impressed with the nighttime graphics. Probably the most accurate representation of night that I've ever seen. When I get my PS3, this will probably be one of the first games I get.

bengraven

Damn, thanks for that.

I love first impressions of a game, but you rarely get them beyond the first week of a game's release. You reminded me why I love this game so much.

And why it sucks my Xbox is freezing on me.

Agreed, love reading impressions like that. Red Dead's story/ending really stuck with me a while, quite a few days after beating it. I listed it on gametz to trade but after a few weeks I took it down and added to its rightful place in my collection. The game is just too special and I honestly don't see a western game being this good for a very long time. Plus am only half-way through Undead Nightmare which will be fun to pick back up this fall during October.

24FrameDaVinci said:
I could see a Red Dead Redemption: Stories for Vita coming out before a PC port ever does.

I would buy a Vita just for that. Easily my favourite game this generation, I've never even liked Westerns before but fell in love with the game.

Playing LA Noire recently made me realise how much I loved RDR, driving around in LA Noire and GTA just feels so dull to me now.

GIVE ME MORE RDR!

I want Red Dead Revolution set during the American Rev war. Hot shit if you ask me. You'll have the colonials, the British, Native Americans etc etc for plenty of faction variety and historical drama. Sure, it's a step backward, timewise but maybe we can see John's ancestry.

I didn't know that the map was roughly twice the size of San Andreas, I must have been too engrossed within the marvelous world that I hadn't noticed. The game is unconventionally beautiful. Usually when I'm exploring a natural world in video games, I wonder where all the animals are, this game delivered on that front even if you're encouraged to slaughter and skin them all.

MesserWolf said:
so killings people wouldn't be a problem. ... but since the game make you kill animals => stop playing.

mmm ok...

Agreed. Plus, it's a game featuring fictional rabbits. No real rabbits were hurt during the development of this game.

Good thing he didn't get to the part of the game where you have to shoot other animals and have to skin them :x

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I want Red Dead Revolution set during the American Rev war. Hot shit if you ask me. You'll have the colonials, the British, Native Americans etc etc for plenty of faction variety and historical drama. Sure, it's a step backward, timewise but maybe we can see John's ancestry.
Epic idea, actually it would be exciting to see the sand box genre cover more historical settings. Samurais please.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Me from a few pages back:

Net_Wrecker said:
Hell yeah. I want a game where the outlaws vs. lawmen is still in full effect, and everyone still lives and breathes "Wild West" without the looming sense of change in the air from 1911 RDR. Also, I want Indian territories, full bank robberies (both random events + player led), notorious gangs running a muck, Civil War backdrop, gold prospecting, etc. etc. etc.

Red Dead Revolution, baby. Bring it on.

Safe to say that I'm fully in support ideas like that. A game in those settings would be one of the few ways to surpass RDR, and make a really wide, epic story.

Fjordson

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Hell yeah. Would be amazing.

They could do the Civil War as well, ala The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. So man possibilities.

King of the Potato People said:
Epic idea, actually it would be exciting to see the sand box genre cover more historical settings. Samurais please.

I couldnt shake the feeling that I was in the Animus while playing Red Dead lol, it would be pretty epic if Rockstar could make a free roam game in Fuedal Japan, but it should probably be a whole new style of game.

Rockstar really do have the ability to set a free roam game in any scenario and it will be awesome. The GTA formulae has so far worked in a High school, The West, and in a bunch of modern day cities, im more excited to see where they go next than for the next Gta tbh.

On a unrelated note. Hearing that the working conditions sucked and that the game went through vast changes shocks me, I really dont see that in the end product, but maybe things like train robberies and so one were meant to happen?

Klocker

bobs99 ... said:
..., I really dont see that in the end product, but maybe things like train robberies and so one were meant to happen?

yea. as amazing as the game is, bank robberies, train hold ups, joining a gang and partaking in all manner of random outlaw crap would have been fun. As well as turning lawman and chasing down outlaws in random events. (not just the passer by stuff)

Wiggum2007

Klocker said:
yea. as amazing as the game is, bank robberies, train hold ups, joining a gang and partaking in all manner of random outlaw crap would have been fun. As well as turning lawman and chasing down outlaws in random events. (not just the passer by stuff)

All stuff we can hopefully look forward to in Red Dead Ravioli or whatever they're calling the next one.

Net_Wrecker said:
Me from a few pages back:

Safe to say that I'm fully in support ideas like that. A game in those settings would be one of the few ways to surpass RDR, and make a really wide, epic story.
Nice. I may have even brought it up way earlier in this thread too, because its not my first time thinking of this idea. I have the same setting idea for Assassin's Creed... but it wasn't popular because of the lack of AC-esque cities.

Also, didn't someone mention a pirate themed game a while back? Now that would be sweet, too. Sailing the seas to various ports and partaking in numerous pirate activities... the imagination runs wild.

Was wondering why I haven't gotten the stupid "20 missions 1 horse" trophy even though I completed like 33 of them.

I found out that if the horse dies, you are boned, even if the new one is the exact same type.

:(

Oh well, I'm never going to platinum the stupid thing anyway.

the chris

seattle7997 said:
are there still people playing online on the PS3 version these days?
I've been playing a little bit these past couple of days, but there seems to be very little people around to play with.

theDeeDubs

My opinion on RDR has changed immensely. I rushed through this game when it first came out. I enjoyed it but didn't see what all the fuss was about. I recently took off from work during E3 and planned to sink my teeth in while watching live streams. After getting 100% in it, I was blown away. I was ashamed that I almost dismissed how amazing this game is. After finishing up all the challenges, I found myself forgetting I was playing a single player game. The world just felt so alive to me; way more immersive than any MMO I've played. Now, I find myself missing it. Thankfully, I still have Undead to play. I'm trying to hold out until Halloween though.

Hey You

reddead_quadXP.jpg

In honor of America's birthday and in keeping with its celebratory traditions of spectacle and excess, we're unleashing the first instance of Red Dead Redemption 4XP for multiplayers all around the world on both PS3 and Xbox 360 this July 4th Weekend.

Beginning by 12:01AM Eastern this Friday July 1st and running until 11:59 PM Eastern on Monday July 4th, all online multiplayer modes including Free Roam and Undead Overrun in Undead Nightmare will earn you quadruple the experience points during this extended holiday weekend.
[Blog Post]

That's pretty awesome. I got my 50 and passed into legend during the past triple xp event, but will play some RDR to rank up even more.

quadruple exp for 4 days is probably enough to go up the entire ranking scale lol. I have just casually played a little and ranked up to like 20ish - the multiplayer just didnt excite me as much unfortunatly.

seattle7997

Neo Member
If I get the Undead Nightmare disc, will the liars and cheats and the other dlc that's included be installed to the HDD and be able to be used while I have the RDR disc in my PS3 or do I need to have the Undead disc in to use the dlc?

Hey You

seattle7997 said:
If I get the Undead Nightmare disc, will the liars and cheats and the other dlc that's included be installed to the HDD and be able to be used will I have the RDR disc in my PS3 or do I need to have the Undead disc in to use the dlc?
You will need the disc to be in your PS3.

Am I the only one here that wishes Rockstar released an episode dealing with John's departure from Dutch's gang? Specifically, the botched robbery that took place that served as the catalyst for his leaving? I would've loved to see the "other side" of Marston's persona. The darker side from his past, along with what his relationships were like with his gang brethren and soon-to-be(?) wife.

i would gladly buy ANY single player DLC...

It was discussed earlier that they could cash in with Lost & Damned style episodes easily with this universe. Same map, different main character.

Labadal

It would be interesting to have a DLC about gang wars in a town. I like the wilderness, but it would be awesome running around and inside buildings in crazy shootouts.

Top Bottom