• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay, one more time people. GIVE US A PC VERSION ROCKSTAR!

I'm going to pretend that this new DLC is extra content that is included in the upcoming PC version of the game.

mclem

King of the Potato People said:
Epic idea, actually it would be exciting to see the sand box genre cover more historical settings. Samurais please.

I thought that Rome had a lot of potential for that sort of thing.

mclem said:
I thought that Rome had a lot of potential for that sort of thing.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood did the open world, Rome thing pretty good. Not TOTALLY the same thing as GTA/RDR-style sandbox, obviously.

Anth0ny

Finally beat the game.

About that ending...
I hate when bad end is the mandatory ending for a video game. It's not like multiple endings hasn't been done before, one where John lives and one where John dies would have been better I think.

Regardless, it was a fantastic game. Galaxy 2 is still definitely the best game of last year, but I had a blast with RDR.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Noisepurge said:
i would gladly buy ANY single player DLC...

Yeah, I would have killed for single player DLC, and it's very disappointing that they didn't create any aside from Undead Nightmare. Don't get me wrong, UN was a cool idea for DLC, but I'd rather have content added to the base game instead of monsters and zombies and stuff.

I know it's significantly cheaper, but it still sucks that they focused on adding content to the MP mode that I hardly touched.

Fjordson

JumpingTheGun said:
Am I the only one here that wishes Rockstar released an episode dealing with John's departure from Dutch's gang? Specifically, the botched robbery that took place that served as the catalyst for his leaving? I would've loved to see the "other side" of Marston's persona. The darker side from his past, along with what his relationships were like with his gang brethren and soon-to-be(?) wife.
A lot of that will be explored in RDR 2.

Believe.

Piano

Banned
Got this game through Gamefly last week. I played a couple of hours, did a few missions and upon trying to load my save today...it just starts me over at the beginning.

Is this a known issue? It shows me that I have two saves but trying to load either just starts the game at the intro cutscene. I really don't want to have to go through hours of boring intro missions again...

EDIT: If it matters I was connected to XBL when I played last and now I'm not. Would that cause saves to not load correctly or something?

Just had my first encounter with a few Grizzly Bears. Had my semi-auto pistol equipped when the first of two ran straight at me and unloaded into its head, killed him. The second was a different story, one shot and I was dead =(

Hey You

TheEastonator said:
Got this game through Gamefly last week. I played a couple of hours, did a few missions and upon trying to load my save today...it just starts me over at the beginning.

Is this a known issue? It shows me that I have two saves but trying to load either just starts the game at the intro cutscene. I really don't want to have to go through hours of boring intro missions again...

EDIT: If it matters I was connected to XBL when I played last and now I'm not. Would that cause saves to not load correctly or something?
Did a quick browse at Rockstar support and this sounds sorta similar to your issue.

If not, Browse the rest of the RDR issues or contact support. Don't know what else to tell you.

Finally beat it. All I can say about the ending is...

HNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ='''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
24FrameDaVinci said:

HNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ='''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

You sure that's the ending? ;)

24FrameDaVinci said:

Did you see the credits yet?

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
Are you kidding me!?? I just brought the 800 MS point version a week ago. Doh!

So far I have to say that I enjoyed the main game more, but only because im SO sick of the fact that towns I saved keeping needing help. What a god aweful mechanic, this is worse than the friends from GTA4
Yeah, too bad we didn't see that coming :/

And Yeah, the town thing is annoying. Thieves landing always seems to be one that always needs
saving
. I'm amazed I got the Spinning Plates achievement.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
After the way RDR developed and wrapped up, I feel it wouldn't be appropriate to make a sequel that takes place after the events of RDR. A game like that just wouldn't be a western, considering that
the entire story arc is about the government using John Marston to pacify the wild west to such an extent that he is the only wild one left, at which point the government offs him, and as a result, ending the wild west as we know it

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm probably going to pick this game up today!

Just a couple quick questions:

1. Do the Dead Eye / War Horse power-ups you can buy from XBL/PSN turn off Achievements/trophies? I'm thinking not, since they were pre-order bonuses.

2. When is the best time to play the Undead Nightmare DLC; Befor, during, or after I finish the main story?

Thanks, GAF! :)

EDIT: Yeah, I know buying those power-ups may be cheating a bit, but I don't care. If they make RDR a little more fun, then it's worth the $3 or so cost.

24FrameDaVinci said:
I did, and though there was a bit of satisfaction that his son took revenge, it felt empty.
For me
that's exactly how it should feel. You get a sense of Marston's daily emptiness and fatigue.

eshock

LosDaddie said:
I'm probably going to pick this game up today!

Just a couple quick questions:

1. Do the Dead Eye / War Horse power-ups you can buy from XBL/PSN turn off Achievements/trophies? I'm thinking not, since they were pre-order bonuses.

2. When is the best time to play the Undead Nightmare DLC; Befor, during, or after I finish the main story?

Thanks, GAF! :)

EDIT: Yeah, I know buying those power-ups may be cheating a bit, but I don't care. If they make RDR a little more fun, then it's worth the $3 or so cost.

1. No.

2. After. Though it technically takes place during the last chapter of RDR, before the end.

NullPointer said:
For me
that's exactly how it should feel. You get a sense of Marston's daily emptiness and fatigue.
Maybe, but it also could have been Rockstar trying to make us feel the emptiness John felt after offing Bill and Dutch. There was no joy for him in killing his two best friends, just his duty.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Maybe, but it also could have been Rockstar trying to make us feel the emptiness John felt after offing Bill and Dutch. There was no joy for him in killing his two best friends, just his duty.
Good point.
End of an era really, in more ways than one for John

Luthos

King of the Potato People said:
Epic idea, actually it would be exciting to see the sand box genre cover more historical settings. Samurais please.
The open-world wishlist games I always have are an asian themed one like ninjas or samurais. And a colonial/pirate themed one. Especially the second one. Compete with flintlocks, swords, ships and crews.

Dibbs

One of my favorite moments with this game was when I was walking all by myself in the desert in Mexico when I stumbled across a deserted house; I entered it and saw that someone had scribbled "I dont understand infinity" on a wall.

Awesome.

Luthos said:
The open-world wishlist games I always have are an asian themed one like ninjas or samurais. And a colonial/pirate themed one. Especially the second one. Compete with flintlocks, swords, ships and crews.

1. Blade Runner
2. Pirates
3. Samurai

My top 3 open world wishes. A Western used to be #1, but Rockstar took care of that.

Net_Wrecker said:
1. Blade Runner
2. Pirates
3. Samurai

My top 3 open world wishes. A Western used to be #1, but Rockstar took care of that.
Open world neo-Los Angeles like Blade Runner would melt my fucking face with awesomeness.

Hyunkel6

Just bought the game and the Undead Nightmare Collection.

Would I be missing anything (easter eggs, subtle references to the main game, etc) if I play Undead Nightmare first or go back and forth between the main game and the DLC?

Also, anything you guys recommend for someone to experience the game to its fullest? I know I heard that one should not play the game like GTA and just rush through the story, but what else?

Thanks in advance.

RDR first THEN Undead Nightmare. You'll appreciate it much more that way.

And yeah, don't rush through the game. Take in the sights, the world, the wildlife, stop for all the random events until they start repeating, mess with the animals, go into bars every now and then to see if a fight breaks out, etc. etc.

Marleyman

Banned
The Crimson Kid said:
After the way RDR developed and wrapped up, I feel it wouldn't be appropriate to make a sequel that takes place after the events of RDR. A game like that just wouldn't be a western, considering that
the entire story arc is about the government using John Marston to pacify the wild west to such an extent that he is the only wild one left, at which point the government offs him, and as a result, ending the wild west as we know it

It wouldn't be appropriate at all, but that has never stopped developers from doing it.

Speaking of random events, in one of the very first missions (the one where you race Bonnie), two boars knocked me off my horse and killed me. Those were the only boars I have ever seen in the game.

Fjordson

Net_Wrecker said:
1. Blade Runner
2. Pirates
3. Samurai

Dude. Something sci-fi/noir similar to Blade Runner from Rockstar would blow my god damn mind. I need it. Someday.

Nori Chan

Ending:

:( Before I beat the game, I was thinking to myself, it would be awesome to make a sequel to this game with Jack being the protagonist. Then next thing you know John goes....:(

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Noriega said:
:( Before I beat the game, I was thinking to myself, it would be awesome to make a sequel to this game with Jack being the protagonist. Then next thing you know John goes....:(

Yeah thats what I thought too....then the idea wasn't so great anymore. Such a great game, I think its time to playthru again.

CrankyJay

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
RDR first THEN Undead Nightmare. You'll appreciate it much more that way.

And yeah, don't rush through the game. Take in the sights, the world, the wildlife, stop for all the random events until they start repeating, mess with the animals, go into bars every now and then to see if a fight breaks out, etc. etc.

I'm doing this right now. Just got the Mexico. Pretty fun game. The environment is amazing. I like going exploring.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm slowly warming up to this just because of awesome writing and cutscenes. It's a good game to play if you want to relax.

Top Bottom