• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I watched part of that intro, but not all of it (I've been on a semi media blackout for a while now).

One thing I've always thought about the Old West is that it's a little bit of a sad era... it's an era where the world was just on the brink of becoming much much smaller. It's the end of the era of not knowing what was out there. Soon the entire world is mapped, etc.

It's really great to see that Rockstar seems to get this, and that this is one of the themes of the game.

Magnus

Rikyfree said:
Just going through some of my OST selection and GODDAMN does Kill Bill go great with the feel of this game. Like seriously sickeningly good mix. Picked out 18 songs to go with it. And yes a nice deal are Morricone songs.

Oh fuck me, that's an amazing idea. I'm going to fire that up with the game tomorrow.

Definity

Played for about 3 hours now and it's a really amazing game both from a technical and presentation perspective. The amount of detail and love that Rockstar poured into this thing is apparent everywhere you go in the game. I probably spent an hour just walking around observing people, animals, weather....the list goes on. I invested close to 70 hours into GTA and from the looks of it I will go way over that in RDR. There is just so much to do and see. The ecosystem/hunting is a whole other game inside of the game, the random events that just happen in the world are kick ass, and the world itself is phenomenal.

No major issues for me (360 version installed to HDD 60GB). The visuals are light years ahead of GTA IMO. Much more crisp and clear on everything. Frame rate is more stable than GTA and I've only seen a few dips here and there but nothing to worry about. The controls are smoother than GTA as well. It's so simple to ride a horse at full sprint and either shoot or lasso something.

Darkman M

Definity said:
Played for about 3 hours now and it's a really amazing game both from a technical and presentation perspective. The amount of detail and love that Rockstar poured into this thing is apparent everywhere you go in the game. I probably spent an hour just walking around observing people, animals, weather....the list goes on. I invested close to 70 hours into GTA and from the looks of it I will go way over that in RDR. There is just so much to do and see. The ecosystem/hunting is a whole other game inside of the game, the random events that just happen in the world are kick ass, and the world itself is phenomenal.

No major issues for me (360 version installed to HDD 60GB). The visuals are light years ahead of GTA IMO. Much more crisp and clear on everything. Frame rate is more stable than GTA and I've only seen a few dips here and there but nothing to worry about. The controls are smoother than GTA as well. It's so simple to ride a horse at full sprint and either shoot or lasso something.

Great impressions thanks.

Magnus

Horseback riding is what makes this wonderfully different from GTA, really. It's just so damned liberating to tear off into the wilderness.

I got a chance to throw GTA4 in for comparison since I hadn't looked at it in a while, and man, I'd forgotten how it looked, I guess. RDR really is quite a bit ahead, at least on the PS3.

Definity said:

Awesome, thanks for the impressions!

Hopefully my 20gb hdd will be ok to install to as well.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Definity said:
Played for about 3 hours now [...]

thank you for this. This reminds me when I first got GTA 4(back when it was really technically impressive) and how awestruck I was. I spent hours and hours just driving around, experiencing the game's culture, the detail was what really stuck out. From the tallest building to a tiny leaflet blowing through the street, it was obvious a lot of care and attention went into the the game and I'm glad that R* has continued this with RDR.

Magnus said:
Horseback riding is what makes this wonderfully different from GTA, really. It's just so damned liberating to tear off into the wilderness.

I got a chance to throw GTA4 in for comparison since I hadn't looked at it in a while, and man, I'd forgotten how it looked, I guess. RDR really is quite a bit ahead, at least on the PS3.

This is awesome news!

Definity

Forgot to mention -

The social club is really integrated into the game now. Make sure you're signed up and have your gamertag linked. I'm pretty sure I was awarded a special suit in-game for being a member. Plus it's cool to see the challenges that Rockstar throws up there that everyone can compete in.

The social club stuff sounds awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Especially this:
The Blackwater Ledger – A special and dynamic Red Dead Redemption community edition of the in-game newspaper keeping community members apprised of all the latest goings on across the game world – from New Austin to Nuevo Paraiso to West Elizabeth. The newspaper will report daily news from the frontier including who’s earned the highest bounties, a business column on what products are most purchased from local merchants, and a blotter of which weapons are being used the most. Registered members will see a snapshot report of their own latest status of Honor and Fame, as well as Experience, Rank, Game Progress and more.

From this article on a few of the social club aspects integrated in RDR.

Definity said:
Forgot to mention -

The social club is really integrated into the game now. Make sure you're signed up and have your gamertag linked. I'm pretty sure I was awarded a special suit in-game for being a member. Plus it's cool to see the challenges that Rockstar throws up there that everyone can compete in.

Thanks for the reminder! I've never bothered to do this before for GTA IV. Man I'm happy I grabbed Red Faction today, otherwise I might start watching way too many streams and get mixed up.

You never want to cross the streams. :lol

The stream guy on the pirated version just said that even though he's broke and unemployed, he's still going to pick up the retail version. :lol

Pretty convincing review there.

Damn, apparently he unlocked something for his avatar(1 out of 3 or 4 avatar awards) and it's a big ass sombrero. Cool I guess, I haven't ever unlocked any avatar items through a game.

BeeDog

Really can't wait for this game, but I wish a version comparison would release before the game comes out. That probably won't happen though.

I honestly don't know why people keep waiting for comparisons, just get the 360 version; you know it'll be better. :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
The stream guy on the pirated version just said that even though he's broke and unemployed, he's still going to pick up the retail version. :lol

Pretty convincing review there.

Damn, apparently he unlocked something for his avatar(1 out of 3 or 4 avatar awards) and it's a big ass sombrero. Cool I guess, I haven't ever unlocked any avatar items through a game.

yay avatar rewards!

love getting free stuff for my avatar :lol

DannyCool

So, i too have played this game now. Simply put: If u like GTA, your gonna love Red Read. If you like western, your gonna love Red Dead. If you like games, your gonna love Red Dead.

Im very strict too reviewing games, but this game - has already gone into my top 10 list of best games ever. I feel like im riding around in a real world, this is so amazing and im 100 % sure this is going to be a clear GOTY candidate. Best western game ever, and at the moment my top 10 game of all time.

Its also the best "GTA" type game ever.

DennisK4 said:
The best part of this video is the last part (gameplay) where we see the shadows. They look great when they ride on the horses.

I don't want to spoil too much more than I have from watching the streams so I'm not going to watch the youtube video, but there was one moment I saw where the guy was riding near a mountain and the sun was rising and the shadow of the mountain was at his feet so in the shadows it looked like he and his horse were riding on top of the mountain. So badass.

Whew what a sentence, I should go to sleep. :lol

bridegur

MazingerDUDE said:
I seems pretty obvious that the PS3 version is sub HD. In fact, VERY sub HD. I'm looking somewhere around 540P.

If this is the case, wow. I was going to wait until it hit $30, but I may just forget about it altogether. Also, the horse animation in the gameplay portion of that intro video looks incredibly hokey.

bridegur said:
If this is the case, wow. I was going to wait until it hit $30, but I may just forget about it altogether. Also, the horse animation in the gameplay portion of that intro video looks incredibly hokey.

I'd need direct grabs for some accurate analysis, but taking a possibility of overscan into account, the game probably runs at the same res as GTA4 (640P).

CozMick

Banned
Wait!

We're getting really contrasting stories here.

Someone is saying the PS3 is beautiful looking and a lot cleaner than GTA4

And then somone else is saying it looks fugly and is very Sub-HD..............

So GAF, which one is it?

MazingerDUDE said:
I'd need direct grabs for some accurate analysis, but taking a possibility of overscan into account, the game probably runs at the same res as GTA4 (640P).

How can you tell that from those pics, do you know what settings his tv is on? what lead hes using? i cant tell shit from heavy compressed images shot from a dodgy angle off screen like that.:lol

bridegur said:

I don't understand this POV at all.. why even play games if all you're worried about is the picture quality? A few posts up someone posted impressions of this being one of their top 10 games of all time and you'd write it off because it's sub-HD?

Pooya

CozMick said:
Wait!

We're getting really contrasting stories here.

Someone is saying the PS3 is beautiful looking and a lot cleaner than GTA4

And then somone else is saying it looks fugly and is very Sub-HD..............

So GAF, which one is it?
That's MazingerDUD , he's never wrong :/
How can you tell that from those pics, do you know what settings his tv is on? what lead hes using? i cant tell shit from heavy compressed images shot from a dodgy angle off screen like that.
He found the resolution of Halo 3 from off-screen pics IIRC, don't doubt him.

Dead Man

Damn it GAF, I had to pre order, didn't I? Even though I am worried about the gameplay. Damn you for my weakness. And damn R* too.

PS3 version will be fine. GTA 4 was more than playable on the PS3, so if it's running at the same resolution it won't be an issue. As for the jaggies, those didn't stop inFamous being a brilliant game and it doesn't look like the jaggies are anywhere near the same level in Red Dead on a consistent basis. It's be a massive suprise for me if the engine isn't at least as up to date as TBOGT on PS3 which was generally regarded as an improvement over vanilla GTA4. Throw in that the vast majority of people playing it on PS3 have told us that it's a substantial visual improvement and we've got a whole load of worrying about nothing.

miladesn said:
He found the resolution of Halo 3 from off-screen pics IIRC, don't doubt him.

Actually, that was Quaz, not me. And yes, it is entirely possible to get readings from off screen shots as long as aliasing is clearly visible as of those shots.

The fuzzy image quality of GTA4 PS3 is more to do with its post processing filter than its running res. In fact, a properly upscaled image would make a surprisingly little difference in image clarity. (ie. FF13 360)

a0037809_4bd2646284774.jpg

a0037809_4bd26487e53a3.jpg

These are direct grabs from GTA4 PS3. The top one is from the original GTA4. and the bottom one is from Gay Tony.

As you can see the Gay Tony shot is much sharper despite they're running at the same 640P res.

KTOOOOM

Banned
MazingerDUDE said:
Actually, that was Quaz, not me. And yes, it is entirely possible to get readings from off screen shots as long as aliasing is clearly visible as of those shots.
:lol :lol :lol

Mr_Brit

Banned
Seriously, aliasing is the worst thing to crop up in multiplatform games. I don't mind lower framerate or worse textures but running at a lower res or running without any AA is just shameful.

Dead Man

Mr_Brit said:
Seriously, aliasing is the worst thing to crop up in multiplatform games. I don't mind lower framerate or worse textures but running at a lower res or running without any AA is just shameful.
Like aliasing was never present before this gen? Seriously, some of you people must never had any console before, or even a PC before 2000

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mr_Brit said:
If aliasing is your pet peeve, I wonder how you can enjoy any Halo game on the 360.

GTA looks like ass even on my PC so I would say that is just an ugly looking game. RDR looks much better and part of that is due to its art direction.

Unicorn

This is a beautiful game. Its a sandbox game. Gotta account for the scale of the game and the amount of detail that IS there. Phenomenal attention paid to every aspect.

CozMick

Banned
godhandiscen said:
If aliasing is your pet peeve, I wonder how you can enjoy any Halo game on the 360.

GTA looks like ass even on my PC so I would say that is just an ugly looking game. RDR looks much better and part of that is due to its art direction.

AbandonThread.gif

See you guys at launch.

Denzar

MazingerDUDE said:
It seems pretty obvious that the PS3 version is sub HD. In fact, VERY sub HD. I'm looking somewhere around 540P.

It's Ghostbusters all over again.

As long as it runs fine, I can live with that.

Does not make a big difference in the end.

Still, kind of a bummer though...

The biq questions for me are:

1. Are the main missions more varied than in GTA4?
2. Is there anything meaningful to do in the gameworld besides the main missions? Or ist just collecting a bunch of stuff and cut&paste side quests?

Top Bottom