• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Macattk15 said:
The auto-aim in the multiplayer looks disgusting.

Yeah, this guy playing is just camping behind cover, and "scanning" with the autoaim until he locks on to someone. Definitely going to avoid casual/normal as much as possible.

Absinthe

Multiplayer looks great! Quite a bit of auto-aim, but seems to fit for the style of game.

Anyone know if you can turn off the auto-aim in your matches online?

edit: Stream down

Sethos

Banned
Is it possible to tweak the Multiplayer settings, like "No respawns", ie. a round based match - So when you're dead, you sit it out until next round. I hate regular deathmatch and team deathmatch.

R* ninjas strike again on nskinnear's stream link....well I'm going on a blackout from now, have been too spoiled already. See you guys on the 21st because Europe is retarded and gets the game 3 days later :lol

bunbun777

Trying to keep up here: Is there a 'cinema' camera mode with right stick angle changes? So beautiful in GTA4

And I was rereading the OP about bringing back evidence of criminals...does that mean you get to
scalp
them?

thx-- only 35 and a half hours to go!

mintylurb

Death Dealer said:
It doesn't look blurry, the textures are nice. The horses look like the videos, with the bulging muscle details. You walk along a rock wall early on in the game, and the rock textures seemed crisp. Some other rocks by a river had some normal mapping or one of those fake depth masks, it looks good.

But like I've been saying, at times, the jaggies are very noticable. Does anyone remember the original VF4 on PS2 ?
Every once in a while, it looks like that. You get the texture crawl along a sharp edge. The towns are where you notice it the most. Out in the wilderness, the IQ looks great.

I'm no expert but I'll be surprised if the PS3 version has zero AA. It seems to me like it's not a constant FSAA, but there is some form of edge smoothing, at least on some things.

I know there is a lack of PS3 streams. Wished I could help, but I don't have the equipment. My X1800 can only capture s-video or composite.
It sounds like the ps3 version has selective quincunx aa.

BeeDog

The only concerns I have regarding this game is how the late/end-game is structured. GTA4 lost a lot of steam past the middle mark, and you noticed how unpolished the second half was when compared to the first half. I'm afraid that the later parts of this game will be the same. Definitely hope I'm wrong though.

xxracerxx said:
What did they say?
It was part of the rockstar employee complaints about labor conditions. Spouse was quoted saying basically that RDR was a piece of crap because of how poor working conditions were ... kind of like "you'll see what I'm talking about once that game comes out and you see how bad it is" type comment. (not actual quotes, just the gist of what I remember reading)

andylad_uk

Neo Member
im pretty sure this will be in the top 3 games of the year for me...havent been so hyped since bioshock and gta 4............i think i know the answer as no ones mentioned it but i presume theres no fishing in the game?

Because thread moves so fast...

AgentOtaku said:
Can someone who has played it tell me:

Is the camera the same as it was in GTAIV? As in, it automatically tracks in the direction your heading and if you try and rotate it, it will recenter itself?

I FUCKING HATED IT IN GTA (>__<)

Mt Heart Attack said:
Oh man that was awful. What's the point of even having a free camera if it isn't free?

I had to force myself to never use the right stick and that wasn't easy at all. I'm like, a camera whore.

So anyone who's played it know?

dread9

Banned
nskinnear said:

Im way too distracted by the mess over at Gamefaq's,
"This was the same deal with GTA4. On the PS3 it was a little blurry looking, the 360 version was crystal clear.

These games are built using the same technology, why does anyone think the PS3 version will look as good as the 360 one is beyond my comprehension.

That said, im still getting the PS3 version and couldnt care less."
I love this.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Meus Renaissance said:
Why are publishers so tight about the game launching on a specific date? Why are R* scrambling to close down any videos and streams? I remember before the GTA launch reviews, most people didn't even know what the gameplay looked like.

It's not all publishers... it is just Rockstar. I used to work in the gaming press and Rockstar has always been super weird about their coverage.

One year at E3 Rockstar paid to have a big booth, just like every other big company. But the booth was completely closed off. You couldn't go in and see anything unless you were on a list.

I think the company does it intentionally, because they had an actual velvet rope, big dudes with sunglasses wearing suits at the front, etc. It's all stupid theatrics.

But then again maybe it isn't theatrics, considering the streams being shut down.

Point is, Rockstar literally doesn't give a fuck about traditional hype cycles and never has. They seem to be more from the Nintendo school of game marketing (don't show off or publicize a game until someone can walk in and buy it from a store). I think from both company's perspective, if you get someone hyped about something but then they find out they can't buy it for 6 months, that is a marketing dollar wasted.

Edit: And couple that with Rockstar's notorious need for information control, and the end result is streams being cut off crazy fast.

So the Episode from New Austin:

1. The Lost and The Dag Nabit - SHG (Steel Horse Gang) See Fist Full of Dynamite for motor cycle

2. The Ballet of Super Happy Tony - See Deadwood bar owners for plot points.

GDJustin said:
It's not all publishers... it is just Rockstar. I used to work in the gaming press and Rockstar has always been super weird about their coverage.

One year at E3 Rockstar paid to have a big booth, just like every other big company. But the booth was completely closed off. You couldn't go in and see anything unless you were on a list.

I think the company does it intentionally, because they had an actual velvet rope, big dudes with sunglasses wearing suits at the front, etc. It's all stupid theatrics.

But then again maybe it isn't theatrics, considering the streams being shut down.

Point is, Rockstar literally doesn't give a fuck about traditional hype cycles and never has. They seem to be more from the Nintendo school of game marketing (don't show off or publicize a game until someone can walk in and buy it from a store). I think from both company's perspective, if you get someone hyped about something but then they find out they can't buy it for 6 months, that is a marketing dollar wasted.

Edit: And couple that with Rockstar's notorious need for information control, and the end result is streams being cut off crazy fast.

Yeah, it's still all so bizarre though...

UrbanRats

speculawyer said:
:lol

http://trueslant.com/stephenwebster...demption-lets-players-hogtie-and-murder-nuns/
I haven't read the article but it looks like it contains spoilers so you might want to avoid it if you don't want to be spoiled. I just love that headline.
I read the article and it's fucking sad..
I really hope it's a troll article, because his obsession repeating how WRONG it is to hurt nuns it's scary.
It's almost as if, to his strange moral system, hurting a hooker it's bad but kinda ok, but hurting a nun it's outrageous!
A few quotes:
GTA IV allows players to pick up a health boost by purchasing the services of a prostitute, then get their money back by murdering her … But, the nun is worse, I’ve got to admit.

There’s plenty of design sensibility in the game development industry to legitimately prevent a player from going so far. The developers of Fable and Fable II, though they allowed players to become evil and lure villagers out of their homes into the dark temple to be sacrificed, blocked gamers from becoming a sort-of pied piper character, leading a caravan of unsuspecting children out of a city to their slaughter.

A similar type of roadblock was possible here — maybe the main character has a point of empathy for nuns or operates on his own twisted sense of honor, perhaps leading the avatar to simply object to doing something so corrupt.

At the end though, it reads like a troll article, so i'm not sure:
Thank God it’s no longer 1998 and this isn’t The Matrix, or the whole entertainment industry might start wearing spurs and treating forced nun bondage like the new black.

Personally, I can’t wait for the totally skewed “Mass Effect treatment” by Fox News, where they’ll likely declare that Rockstar has made a game which encourages children to molest the clergy. Now that will be a priceless piece of footage.

Teknoman

gibration said:
Anyone going to make a PSN GAF chat?
If not, I can make one later on today when I get home.

I dont think its been done yet.

I'll make sure to turn off autoaim whenever possible (I guess it's whoever wins the standoff that gets to pick the match type/options?)

dread9

Banned
BTW I just looked up the ps3 auto upgrade to limited edition preorder deal, now im seriously debating on whether I should get it for my triple!

Top Bottom