• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

This just occurred to me... but wouldn't it be neat if for an add on to Red Dead Redemption they had it set in Liberty City circa that time period? Of course you would have an outlying New York area to offer an environmental side still.

Cobra84

UltimaPooh said:
This just occurred to me... but wouldn't it be neat if for an add on to Red Dead Redemption they had it set in Liberty City circa that time period? Of course you would have an outlying New York area to offer an environmental side still.
It wouldn't really be RDR then, it would just be Mafia with GTA gameplay.

Mik2121

UltimaPooh said:
That would be one hell of a BIG add-on. Also I don't think both games share the same world? Maybe they do, but still not sure..

Magnus

EnjoyIncubus said:
How does the game feel controlwise? One of my least favorite things about GTAIV was the sluggish/clumsy controls. Have they been improved at all?
After some more time with it yesterday, I can confidently say that between the solid horseback riding and more precise shooting and cover controls, the overall control experience is improved over GTA. But the on foot running around is just as clumsy and laggy as ever.

Magnus said:
After some more time with it yesterday, I can confidently say that between the solid horseback riding and more precise shooting and cover controls, the overall control experience is improved over GTA. But the on foot running around is just as clumsy and laggy as ever.

Have been reading this thread from my cellphone the past two days, as I was away from home...

What a mess that was, with all negativity that surrounded the PS3 version of the game.

@ Magnus: If I understood correctly, you now own both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version, am I right?

mujun

Mik2121 said:
I preordered the game on Play-Asia (I live in Japan, so Play-Asia is usually the fastest way to get games) yesterday and hopefully receive it within this week...

Do you normally get them that fast? Mine usually ship Tuesday and arrive the following Monday or Tuesday so I won't be getting mine for another 8-10 days :(

Magnus

magicaltrevor said:
Have been reading this thread from my cellphone the past two days, as I was away from home...

What a mess that was, with all negativity that surrounded the PS3 version of the game.

@ Magnus: If I understood correctly, you now own both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version, am I right?
Yeah, I'll have access to both tonight. I unfortunately only have a launch 360, so no HDMI/1080p, but of course, got component cables. Some friends want to play it tonight, so I'll probably start them on the 360 version and make comparisons while they look at me strangely. :lol

UltimaPooh said:

Would it still be lacking any side missions?

Couldn't help myself.

Magnus

panda21 said:
does your horse lean way left/right as you turn like you do when you run? that annoys the crap out of me in gta4
Nah, riding feels fucking awesome. It's clear they spent time on making that experience solid.

I guess that would be a good way to kill time tonight is to add people on the 360 list. Since I've basically lived in this thread the last few days I will send invites to the people I've seen the most active in this thread, obviously better chances that those same people will be playing the game longer.

Mik2121

mujun said:
Do you normally get them that fast? Mine usually ship Tuesday and arrive the following Monday or Tuesday so I won't be getting mine for another 8-10 days :(
I always pre-order from Play-Asia using Fedex which has a 1-3 days delivery, so if they get stock for the game, say, today.. I could get the game as soon as tomorrow morning, which would still be earlier than the release in the US. Worst case scenario would be them getting stock by Wednesday or Thursday, so I would get the game by Friday.

UFRA

Game Analyst said:
Is there a list yet of what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions?

Considering that this is the same dev as GTAIV, I doubt there will be any significant differences between the two.

Game Analyst said:
Is there a list yet of what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions?

oh shit, it has been over 10 posts since the version question came up. Ha! Time flies when you're having fun.

mujun

Mik2121 said:
I always pre-order from Play-Asia using Fedex which has a 1-3 days delivery, so if they get stock for the game, say, today.. I could get the game as soon as tomorrow morning, which would still be earlier than the release in the US. Worst case scenario would be them getting stock by Wednesday or Thursday, so I would get the game by Friday.

Oh, I see. I'm a cheapass and get the standard shipping :D

Now I regret not getting the faster one.

Magnus said:
Yeah, I'll have access to both tonight. I unfortunately only have a launch 360, so no HDMI/1080p, but of course, got component cables. Some friends want to play it tonight, so I'll probably start them on the 360 version and make comparisons while they look at me strangely. :lol

Great! :D

For me, it's 2 AM right now, so I'll check it out when I wake up... but will you do (direct-feed) video's/screens, or just write about your findings?

Also: I picked up some talk about unlockable avatars for Xbox Live. As PSN (finally) provides extra/premium avatars as well now, are these in on the PS3 version too?

O and what's up with the multiplayer using Gamespy again on PS3? GTA IV was laggy as hell, the matchmaking was horrible and the voicechat was of a depressingly low quality... FUCK! Not again... =(

Magnus

panda21 said:
yay. horse riding is pretty much the only reason i'm buying it
It's little things like finding yourself against a fence, and being able to just press Square to leap over it and run, instead of having to double back, get a running start and maddeningly fail to make the horse jump half the time like in other games.

It's great.

Trevor: can't do direct feed and would kind of fear doing it if I could. Haha

Chaplain

UFRA said:
Considering that this is the same dev as GTAIV, I doubt there will be any significant differences between the two.

So the resolution is the same on both consoles? What about screen tearing?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Not trying to troll, but I'm surprised people are still considering the PS3 version after it was revealed it will be using Gamespy. It seems like that should be the answer to all the "which one is better, PS3 or 360?" It seems pretty clear to me that the 360 version has the leg up.

dread9

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Not trying to troll, but I'm surprised people are still considering the PS3 version after it was revealed it will be using Gamespy. It seems like that should be the answer to all the "which one is better, PS3 or 360?" It seems pretty clear that the 360 version has the leg up.

Can you clarify with clear facts as to why Gamespy hurts the Ps3? I was thinking about picking that version up.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Not trying to troll, but I'm surprised people are still considering the PS3 version after it was revealed it will be using Gamespy. It seems like that should be the answer to all the "which one is better, PS3 or 360?" It seems pretty clear to me that the 360 version has the leg up.
Depends I guess on whether you're about the single player or mp. Lots of people never touch the mp in games like GTA4.

mujun

Mik2121 said:
For RDR they are still in Pre-order / backorder, so you could go and change it now :p

It would end up costing me a lot more coz I managed to preorder it before the price got changed to 59.95 :)

Still got Skate 3 and Alan Wake coming this week so I'll be patient :D

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Big Ass Ramp said:

Stop trying to measure the game's quality by examining a feature that will dramatically affect actual play performance and ease of use!

Big Ass Ramp said:

This is getting old. Plus when a post begins with "Not trying to troll", that is usually all you are doing.

dread9 said:
Can you clarify with clear facts as to why Gamespy hurts the Ps3? I was thinking about picking that version up.

magicaltrevor said:
O and what's up with the multiplayer using Gamespy again on PS3? GTA IV was laggy as hell, the matchmaking was horrible and the voicechat was of a depressingly low quality... FUCK! Not again... =(

Basically what was said above.

MercuryLS

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:

I never played GTAIV online and I won't for this either. I'm more concerned about its technical performance, but from all the impressions it seems to run just fine on PS3.

After the many complaints about GTA IV's laggy and unplayable multiplayer on PS3, one would think Rockstar would've listened to this...

Unless Gamespy's multiplayer-servers have improved, I really can't see why they would use their services again...

nskinnear said:
Man, sending this many friend requests on PSN sucks. I'm going to try to add everyone on the list tonight...

That would be amazing, but it would require them to basically re-create New York City in the early 1900s. With that amount of work, they might as well charge $60 and sell it as a completely new game :p
everyone, thats alot of people.

I'm gonna have to start adding some people too, can't believe the game is almost here:D

Top Bottom