• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare |OT| "Aaaaargh, zombie cougars!"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I had absolutely no hype for Undead Nightmare -

a) Zombie expansion? A little played out.
b) I don't buy "bite size" single player DLC on principle. Ignored it in Fable, Prince of Persia, Oblivion, etc.

... but HOLY SHIT this looks amazing. Rockstar once again showing the industry how something should be done. In this case, DLC. I haven't downloaded it yet, but is it safe to say this is the best DLC released this entire gen? Excluding full-price expansions like Shivering Isles or Gay Tony of course.

I'll need to free up some HD space unfortunately, but Undead Nightmare WILL be mine. I was sure I was done with RDR... I'm happy R* gave me reason to spend more time with John Marston. Hopefully I can get back into the groove and remember the controls :lol

Hopefully this sells well so we can get more meaty RDR content, although I know that it is very unlikely at this point.

Man if the person watching you play RDR likes to gallop everywhere and run on foot everywhere and you like to take it slow and actually look at the scenery and get a feel for your enviroment... it can get annoying as fuck. :lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Where do you find the first treasure map? It says to find it at a wilderness camp, but that's pretty vague. Also, I got Pestilence and War.
I came across a man who had his zombie wife tied up and was feeding her other people, this was on my way to Tall Trees. They were right off the road with a tent and campfire going.
The treasure map was in the chest in the camp.

Trying for the achievement for all towns safe at once, can I not get this till further in the story as I have only done 1 or 2 proper missions?

I think I have all the US ones, hope they don't come under attack every five minutes now :(

Reknoc

xxracerxx said:
I came across a man who had his zombie wife tied up and was feeding her other people, this was on my way to Tall Trees. They were right off the road with a tent and campfire going.
The treasure map was in the chest in the camp.

That reminds me, people at camps are crazy in this :lol

Holy crap at the ending to the
Birth of Conservation
side-mission.

I actually felt kind of terrible.

ConradCervantes said:
Is there a way to keep horses after you found the next one. I had Pestilence and eventually found War, but I didn't want to give Pestilence up.

I'm pretty attached to War right now... I saw Pestilence in the distance, but decided to just hunt him down later. Having your own little army of horses would be awesome. Just keep them hitched together.

abundant

Jeff Albertson said:
Trying for the achievement for all towns safe at once, can I not get this till further in the story as I have only done 1 or 2 proper missions?

I think I have all the US ones, hope they don't come under attack every five minutes now :(

You can't get the achievement until later in the game, once you unlock Mexico. And don't worry about save towns being attacked every 5 minutes, they stay save for about an hour, so getting the achievement is really simple.

And for those who want all four horses of the apocalypse, just complete all 5 ranks of the HoA challenge. You will then get a deed for all four. You have to beat the game though, as you only unlock Death once you beat the game.

Zeliard

Heh, this is so tempting to buy even though I haven't even beaten the main campaign yet.

I'd only buy this for the single-player. Is it worth it for that alone?

abundant

Zeliard said:
Heh, this is so tempting to buy even though I haven't even beaten the main campaign yet.

I'd only buy this for the single-player. Is it worth it for that alone?

Yes, for $10, it's probably the best bang for your buck DLC ever.

So it seems a section of the game causes my 360 to freeze. Repeated entering this location 4 times already with the same results.
Undead Nightmare incomplete.

Hey You

Holy fuck Zombie
John
! I didn't expect to
Actually play as him, I just assume they showed him as a zombie for Advertising

Is there anything else left story wise after the
burial ground
mission?

Neiteio

Does it rain more often in Undead Nightmare? I love the rain in RDR, as seldom as it occurs. :) Also, can someone describe the lighting differences? The tweaks to the atmosphere? I'm most interested in this aspect as for me, the world itself was RDR's strongest character. Most impressive sense of place since Rapture.

AniHawk

AniHawk said:
Uh, so I'm at Riley's Charge, looking for the thing for West Dickens quest thing and I don't know what I'm looking for. I am getting the shit mauled out of me though.

anyone?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wonder if those Stormfront guys from that DJ Hero 2 ad thread will pick up on Herbert Moon.

I can just see their reaction. "Finally, someone's talkin' sense!"

Teknoman

So what if I havent beaten the game, yet downloaded the Undead DLC. Can you start it up seperately like Ballad of Gay Tony?

Hey You

Ken Masters said:
can I DL this without the disc?
Nope. You can if you buy the retail version with all the DLC's on the disk.

Teknoman said:
So what if I havent beaten the game, yet downloaded the Undead DLC. Can you start it up seperately like Ballad of Gay Tony?
Yep.

Dabanton

Teknoman said:

When you select single player it gives you the choice of starting RDR or Undead Nightmare.

stolin

I just finished the story part, now working on the endgame cleanup & Trophies.

This is the first DLC I purchased, mostly because of the single player story content. Fantastic A+. This is my personal bar for any new DLC that comes along.

I don't get the "6 years in the making" achievement, can anyone fill me in on what it means?

Was hunting Sasquatch yesterday and it said "a mythological beast" has appeared in this area. I figured it meant the Sasquatch but after a bit I saw it was Pestilence! I was chasing it on foot and desperately trying to switch to lasso AND whistle for my horse so I could catch up to it all at the same time, twas a complete clusterfuck of failure and it got away

the chris

Gryphter said:
I don't get the "6 years in the making" achievement, can anyone fill me in on what it means?

Was hunting Sasquatch yesterday and it said "a mythological beast" has appeared in this area. I figured it meant the Sasquatch but after a bit I saw it was Pestilence! I was chasing it on foot and desperately trying to switch to lasso AND whistle for my horse so I could catch up to it all at the same time, twas a complete clusterfuck of failure and it got away

The name comes from the rumors of Sasquatch being in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas which came out in 2004.

Double D

Gryphter said:

Here's an example of one message board 6 years ago

so many people probably think the disc version is dumb. But its gonna be a godsend for me. I beat the singleplayer on 360. Just recently got a new ps3 slim and i have quite a few friends really into the multiplayer. I told them there was no way i'd rebuy the game, just to hop online with them. So this is perfect, if i understand right, I can play all undead dlc, and multi-player, but not have to have a copy of the original red dead redemption game.

Dabanton

Gotta say bravo to R* San Deigo this game constantly keeps you on your toes.

There have been times when i've got a bit too cocky and almost come a cropper as i get overwhelmed by zombies.

I'm actually scared to get off my horse as that means you open yourself to danger.

abundant

Gryphter said:

FYI, the "a mythological beast has appeared in this area" message only pops up when a horse of the apocalypse shows up. Theres one in each of the three regions and the fourth either shows up randomly or you can beat the DLC to unlock it.

dexterslu

stolin said:
I just finished the story part, now working on the endgame cleanup & Trophies.

This is the first DLC I purchased, mostly because of the single player story content. Fantastic A+. This is my personal bar for any new DLC that comes along.

Completely agree, however, I will admit that this DLC has kind of got me interested in the rest of the DLC - anything worth picking up? or is this it?

EDIT: I realize this is the only portion of the DLC thus far that contains single player content, but are the multiplayer modes worth getting? are they fun?

abundant

dexterslu said:
Completely agree, however, I will admit that this DLC has kind of got me interested in the rest of the DLC - anything worth picking up? or is this it?

The other two DLC are multiplayer only. This is the first single player DLC for RDR.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
dexterslu said:

EDIT: I realize this is the only portion of the DLC thus far that contains single player content, but are the multiplayer modes worth getting? are they fun?

In my opinion no. I haven't bought any of the other DLC, but they just add new multiplayer maps, new multiplayer skins, or MP features that should have been in fron the start (Liar's Dice and Poker). There's FREE DLC that added more co-op missions. Funny that it's free and it's the most compelling DLC of all. Besides undead nightmare, of course.

I believe the last DLC prior to UN added some new MP modes... they might be fun. At least it's more than maps. I don't have any impressions though.

Top Bottom