• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

UrbanRats

I think it was to close all this VCR sidestory thing in one stroke.
It wasn't bad, imo, though of course i like it when they review stuff better, also it was fairly short, so no big deal.

So with George Lucas dead, VHSs and VHRs dead, does that mean they will move on to the DVD powerhouse that was... The Matrix series?!

Also, was the plinkett thing just the commentary, or are we still getting a proper review?

Cheerilee

So with George Lucas dead, VHSs and VHRs dead, does that mean they will move on to the DVD powerhouse that was... The Matrix series?!

Also, was the plinkett thing just the commentary, or are we still getting a proper review?

Nah, he said in the promo for the commentary track that he's still working on a real Plinkett review.

Izick

We can only hope. It seems so perfect for him, plus it'd be cool to see a positive Plinkett review again, for the first one that is.

Listened to the Star Wars commentary. Some insightful/funny parts but it wasn't great.

Mike is at his best when he's making a point which in the prequel reviews he could usually focus around a particular gripe with/flaw in the movie. At times he of just making weird noises to fill the space.

Probably a good idea to bring some revenue in, though. My bet is he'll start making all Plinkett reviews like this to get cash and avoid copyright stuff. Still, more succinct Plinkett is best Plinkett.

Also I don't know why but I'm super attracted to the girl that plays Nadine. Meowwwww.

BigDug13

I wouldn't mind him going back to a shorter format if it meant we got more reviews. He started doing reviews that were as long as the movie he reviewed (not talking about the one commentary track). Some of his older reviews were like 30--40 minutes, were still spot on, got to the point quicker, etc like the Star Trek reviews.

But I did enjoy the behind the scenes stuff he did during the Star Wars reviews.

We can only hope. It seems so perfect for him, plus it'd be cool to see a positive Plinkett review again, for the first one that is.
Ah, if the plotholes and nonsense storytelling bothered them in Episode 1-3 then the 1st Matrix movie shouldn't really be a positive review.

Izick

Ah, if the plotholes and nonsense storytelling bothered them in Episode 1-3 then the 1st Matrix movie shouldn't really be a positive review.

It depends though. In their Dark Knight Rises review, him and Jay discussed about how a lot of the time it's more about the message of the movie, and being a nitpicky asshole doesn't always feel right. Something like that anyway. I'm sure either way, he'll have a lot to say.

Their point in the Star Wars prequel reviews isn't to be nitpicky, it's that they're completely broken, horrible films; crispy fried puke right down to the fucking bone marrow. People could nitpick The Matrix, but it does not fit into the same category of shit. Reloaded and Revolutions, maybe, but not the first one.

UrbanRats

Let's be honest, they nitpicked Ep1 because it was a boring ass shitty movie, but they also largely addressed all its other foundamental flaws.
Matrix 1 may not be a masterpiece, but it's definitely not as bad by a long shot.

If the only thing they did was underline the plotholes, they wouldn't have had this following, stuff like the language of cinema, in the Ep3 review, is what made these reviews so interesting, or my favorite part, in the Ep2 review, when he explains how the final combat Yoda-Dooku completely ruined the Yoda character from the old trilogy.
-
Fuck i had this tab open since forever, hadn't see you post Kramer.

Aselith

Gotta disagree about RLM saying Nolan movies are about the emotional core of things. Inception was 50% exposition and 50% "isn't this trippy?" Characters were cardboard. The "main conflict" was, I think, one scene in the movie, maybe two. Batman, on the other hand, maybe has some emotional core to them, but they're mired in a soup of cool and bwaaaah and grittiness and bwwwaaah.

What do you think the main conflict was? Because there are a hell of a lot more scenes dealing with the main conflict than just 2.

Their point in the Star Wars prequel reviews isn't to be nitpicky, it's that they're completely broken, horrible films; crispy fried puke right down to the fucking bone marrow. People could nitpick The Matrix, but it does not fit into the same category of shit. Reloaded and Revolutions, maybe, but not the first one.
No, I'm not definitely not saying that The Matrix is as bad as the Star Wars prequels, just that nothing in the movie makes sense if you think about it for more than two seconds. Still has nice action scenes though.

edit:
My point more being that if he/they are willing to spend time pointing out things like the 'diouxswhatever' gas in episode 1 and all of the nonsensical dialogue and explanations in most movies then The Matrix should be no different.
The mere fact that it's a movie about humans living in a cave hacking an advanced computer mainframe, but not really hacking it effectively enough to give them infinite ammo or really explain why they even use guns that abide by the laws of physics that were made by the very program that they are fighting and are somehow able to 'fight against', why do the agents bullets ever miss or need to abide by the laws of physics when they are a construct of the AI that this entire sequence(s) are taking place in?, etc, etc. I could go on, but again.....

It has some nice action scenes.

Cheerilee

So was the trailer just for the audio commentary of Star Wars, or are we still expecting a proper review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=788LCADvhfo&t=56s

"Now for those of you who are already complaining that this [the A New Hope commentary track] is not another video review, well hold tight, I'm working on one right now. In fact, I might be working on two at the SAME TIME! Hey, I didn't punch my way out of a fucking coffin for nothing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=788LCADvhfo&t=56s

"Now for those of you who are already complaining that this [the A New Hope commentary track] is not another video review, well hold tight, I'm working on one right now. In fact, I might be working on two at the SAME TIME! Hey, I didn't punch my way out of a fucking coffin for nothing."

Two reviews at once sounds like Matrix to me, but who knows? What's strange to me is that they aren't really updating their twitter, so hopefully a release is imminent? I dunno.

So I just hopped onto redlettermedia.com and noticed that the layout of the site has changed. Possibly something they've been working on in the meantime and might mean that they're about ready to release some new content.

inm8num2

I love when he says, "Haaaalf in the baaaaaag."

Really enjoy the RLM guys and their reviews of movies, old and new. Silliness aside I find my taste and criticisms to align with theirs.

Izick

New design is okay, but not great. Eh, fuck who cares, I don't come to their site to marvel at its design anyway I guess. As long as the new shit is right there at the front of the page, then I'm good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Their site's still better than TGWTG.

And I'm sure a Plinkett review will be around in a few weeks or so. Those ones take time. A whole lotta precious time. It's gonna take patience and time, ooh ooh, to do it right, child.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Izick

iUDYDpNh66BzP.gif

Gui_PT

That part where they completely break down and laugh for 5 minutes straight is the funniest thing I've seen in a looooong time :lol

Shouta

The end of Part 1 was awesome indeed. I can't believe that's how the sequence in the movie turned out. That was AWFUl.

I can't believe these movies have such ardent supporters who keep defending them. It's one thing if you enjoy the mindless schlock, but I still see people get pissed when someone criticizes these things. "They're just mindless fun! Jeez! Turn off your brain!"

The action is so fucking awful. It's got that Star Wars prequel green screen look all the time, without even those movies' choreography. The awful CG. The laughable clone effects. Everything is so boring.

I love bad movies. Ghost Rider: SoV was awesome. But the RE movies are just shit. I guess I should have been drinking while watching them, but there's no way I'm giving them another chance now.

Top Bottom