• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Davey Cakes

I'm at the point where I like Half in the Bag nearly as much as a Plinkett review. So fucking good.
Same here.

That said, I'm getting to the point where I'm really in the mood for a Plinkett review, just to break things up.

Half in the Bag is great. I wrote it off at first but grew to love it.

Izick

Same here.

That said, I'm getting to the point where I'm really in the mood for a Plinkett review, just to break things up.

Half in the Bag is great. I wrote it off at first but grew to love it.

Yeah, I just wanted Plinkett at first, but the more of the HitB I saw, the more I loved it. I would love to finally get that new Plinkett review though. I just love how Mike portrays that character, and how they write his dialogue.

Yeah. I was reluctant to get into it, but now I think it's the best review show on the internet.

It's one of those shows like Spoony Experiment, Clan of the Gray Wolf, and a couple others that I willingly check every once in a while to see if they have new stuff out.

Endo Punk

The RE movies review had me in stitches. What really set it off is how Mike and Jay's friend laughs, what the hell lol. That was funnier than the review. Im gonna watch Looper review after I see the film later today.

Do the Half in the Bag videos have any kind of plot, or recurring gags? I want to get into them, but I'm not sure where to start. Is it worth just starting from the beginning?

Do the Half in the Bag videos have any kind of plot, or recurring gags? I want to get into them, but I'm not sure where to start. Is it worth just starting from the beginning?

I watched a couple of the newer episodes before eventually going back and starting at the beginning. You definitely don't have to because the plotline is secondary to everything else, but it's definitely worth it.

Izick

I watched a couple of the newer episodes before eventually going back and starting at the beginning. You definitely don't have to because the plotline is secondary to everything else, but it's definitely worth it.

Yeah, pretty much. You should just go back and start watching as far back as you want to. I'm pretty sure no real "plot" stuff has happened since like early this year or late last year. They're all great videos though so I'd recommend just starting from the beginning.

Fjordson

So I haven't followed the Blu-Ray/DVD release, as I didn't plan to pick it up because of how I felt about the movie; does it actually answer questions, or dodge them? Is there still a likely chance of a sequel?
I'm almost positive I read about a Prometheus sequel being greenlit a few months ago. Not too surprising, Prometheus made a decent chunk of change.

SmithnCo

That was great! Mike's Paranormal Activity Universal Studios Ride rant was hilarious.

That needs to be a Halloween Horror Nights house. Just a facade of a rich white guy's house that you walk through and hear one loud noise and a door slowly opening.

Davey Cakes

The Sinister portion was okay (they actually weren't as hard on it as I thought they would be) but I loved how they just tore Paranormal Activity 4 apart. And, they were completely logical about it; questioning what the appeal of the movie is, and criticizing how the jump scare nature of the movie makes for the complete opposite of "tension."

You know what's actually scary? That there exist movies less compelling than Jack and Jill.

inm8num2

LOL they spoiled Sinister immediately.

RLM does great movie reviews. The only people who seem to not enjoy them are the SW prequel fans.

Cheerilee

Im gonna watch Looper review after I see the film later today.
Do they completely spoil sinister? I kinda wanna see it.
Yeah, there are spoilers.
I was thinking about this the other day. I've heard that there are two kinds of film reviews, journalistic, and academic.

The journalistic review is like Siskel & Ebert. It's the "movie reporter" in the paper or on the 5 o'clock news. They watch movies and then they simply tell you if the movies were good or not. Or if they're suited for a particular audience, maybe they tell you which audiences will like it and which ones won't. Basically you watch a journalistic review in order to decide if you want to watch a particular movie or not bother with it.

An academic review breaks down a movie, judges it, and tells you what it did right and what it did wrong. You kind of need to have seen a movie first before you watch it's breakdown.

The Plinkett reviews are perfect academic reviews. Half in the Bag seems to have the style and formula of a journalistic review series, but it's more like a set of smaller, earlier academic reviews. And I don't think that smaller and quicker are traits that lend themselves well to the academic style of reviewing. Of course, this is an underserved niche. Nobody else is doing it. And it Redlettermedia seems to enjoy making them. And I wouldn't ask them to change their style.

The thing I concluded from this line of thought is just to remind myself that Half in the Bag is not a Siskel & Ebert-style journalistic review that can tell you if you want to watch a movie or not (even though they often conclude their reviews by asking whether they'd recommend the movie or not), it's a mini-academic review, like a Plinkett review but weaker and there are more of them, and they only really work if you've already seen the movies they watched.

jerry113

Banned
Ok so I've just watched the Star Trek reviews, and damnit, the intentional "shoddy editing" and cut-off of lines just gets me lol'ing every single time.

UrbanRats

It's coming.

They're in the editing phase..

ijXcTeHhxA1mF.gif

Khezu

I hope its not another Baby's day out or Cop dog, I mean sure those were pretty funny reviews, but I want something more interesting.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't seen the Matrix movies in a while, so I'd love a really detailed breakdown of how little they made sense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the Twilight films either.

Twilight would be too easy. I like the Baby's Day Out review, but what made the Trek/Wars movies so much fun was that you felt his disappointment. You could tell that he loved the series, and so it made him more poignant about expressing what he thought was wrong with the Trek/Wars stuff. It felt legit, like you were right there with him, and you knew the feeling.

Twilight would just be too negative. It would be like pointing and laughing at the annoying kid in class rather than laughing at your best friend who turned into a jerk.

Fjordson

It's coming.

They're in the editing phase..

ijXcTeHhxA1mF.gif
Hype!

Twilight would be too easy. I like the Baby's Day Out review, but what made the Trek/Wars movies so much fun was that you felt his disappointment. You could tell that he loved the series, and so it made him more poignant about expressing what he thought was wrong with the Trek/Wars stuff. It felt legit, like you were right there with him, and you knew the feeling.
Haha, totally read my mind. Hoping for something similar from the next Plinkett review(s).

UrbanRats

Yup, seriously invested Plinkett it's the best Plinkett.

The one about obviously trashy movies are still fun of course, but not as interesting.
On the other hand, the Indy4 one wasn't that memorable (maybe because i haven't seen the film?).

Won

Star Trek V please!

Doesn't really matter what they do as long it's entertaining, though I would prefer having seen the film.

rekameohs

Banned
Maybe he really will review Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire this time. It totally ruined Kidō Senshi Z-Gundam: Hot Scramble and was total bullshit that they would even release a game like that for Playstation.

Fjordson

The Indy review wasn't as great as Star Wars or some of the Star Trek ones, but as a lifetime Indy fan I was pretty into it.

I'll always remember the bit about that "Part time!" line being a really bad take. Where the trailer actually had a better take than the final movie :lol so random but hilarious.

Top Bottom