• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Grinchy

Banned
I was laughing my ass off when Mike asked why Iron Man, War Machine, and Vision would have ever needed a teenage, untested Spider guy to help them fight. It's so true. There's no logical reason that Tony had to rush over to NY and get his help.

I don't care about that, though, because unlike Wonder Woman in BvS, Spiderman was awesome in this. The actor playing the part was perfect and the character was just so cool in the movie.

I was laughing my ass off when Mike asked why Iron Man, War Machine, and Vision would have ever needed a teenage, untested Spider guy to help them fight. It's so true. There's no logical reason that Tony had to rush over to NY and get his help.

I don't care about that, though, because unlike Wonder Woman in BvS, Spiderman was awesome in this. The actor playing the part was perfect and the character was just so cool in the movie.

Taking into account the situation, Spidey is actually something of a perfect storm for the situation. Tony's looking for someone who:

1) Can immobilize or incapacitate other superheroes without killing them (how do i shot web)
2) Is fast, strong and durable enough to keep up with a bunch of A-listers without getting put out of commission (or having to worry about reeling a kid in only for them to die in their first real fight)
3) Can be convinced in an extremely short amount of time to work for / under Stark
4) has an unusually attractive aunt

While it's also not as big a deal, running on Iron Man / War Machine / Vision alone also leaves his group really prone to EMP-based weaponry, which is being handed around like candy in the MCU.

I was watching the Pre-Rec video on Quantum Break and it was hard to finish. After (rightfully) shitting on console warriors/fanboys, they went on to explain why they (or rather Jack, as Rich didn't get to play much of it) didn't like the game, which is fine. But then Rich comes in with a broad statement and sells it as the truth.

Basically, all third-person shooters are lazy games made by failed wannabe movie directors who didn't give a shit (after talking about QB, they mentioned Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Order as examples).

I'm not a fan of the Uncharted series and thought TLOU was okay, but it should be perfectly fine for a game to have its focus on the story instead of gameplay. That doesn't mean the gameplay was an afterthought (like Rich said) and that the directors didn't give a shit. What a shitty thing to say.

It's okay to not like a certain genre of movies or games, but that doesn't mean people don't put their heart and soul into these games. I thought the shooting in Quantum Break felt great and that TLOU had some neat little additions that weren't handled as well in other games.

Personally, I'd take most games that focus more on atmosphere and telling the story over one that simplifies it for the gameplay. That doesn't mean that I see other games as garbage games from people who couldn't come up with a proper story. They have every right to exist, especially if others enjoy them.

He said that's something he associates newer 3rd person shooters with. And I agree. I hate the games he/you mentioned for exactly that (I couldn't even take UC2 for longer than 4-5 hours before selling it). Btw Rich loves Vanquish. But then again, Shinji Mikami is a master game designer and not a failed film student.
The Nathan Drake murderer meme shows that they didn't think the gameplay through all that well. Kids nowadays really like shooting shit... so we'll go with that! I remember when The Order was unveiled and I was getting excited for something fresh in a 19th century setting. Then I yawned when they pulled out fucking space guns or whatever in the first trailer. Also relevant

Also Jack really seemed to enjoy Ace Attorney so far. Probably because AA has fun writing and presentation, while being honest about the things it does instead of lusting to become some c-tier Hollywood drama (though I have other problems with that series). And didn't they both love Undertale? Plus Jack actually defended Firewatch. I.e. another problem is that videogame writing simply is shit way too often. And in cases like these shooters they're often unbearably pretentious too, which is easily what irks me the most. I like story focused games, but examples like The Order and QB immediately give me ,,nope"-vibes.
I'm surprised they don't have a giant dislike-bar on the QB review though.

Did Mike REALLY conflate Black Panther with the Black Panther Party and get a look of annoyance and disapproval toward the character and/or organization in his fat fucking face because of his own ignorant assumption? Ugh.

Shy

No stream tonight guys.
Did Mike REALLY conflate Black Panther with the Black Panther Party and get a look of annoyance and disapproval toward the character and/or organization in his fat fucking face because of his own ignorant assumption? Ugh.
*sigh* Yeah, it was disappointing when that happened.

"There's lots of Them™ in this movie" irked me, too. His diet-racist bullshit (if you can even call it diet) is really trying to get me to stop watching these.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"There's lots of Them™ in this movie" irked me, too. His diet-racist bullshit (if you can even call it diet) is really trying to get me to stop watching these.
Fcxk0e7.jpg

"Together Grimace, we could own this town."

Also the weird "where did he get that supersuit from?" thing at the very front.
Yeah, Mike's attempts at "edgy" humor in this episode were duds.

They've been doing this more and more for about 12-16 months, it seems. From the "SJW" "jokes" in Age of Ultron, to all the "-shaming", Rich and his constant defense of "tranny" and "retard", and so on, they've been pushing into this direction for a while now. Sure, lots of jokes since the beginning have been "edgy", but they've been hanging a lantern on them more and more.

inky

But then Rich comes in with a broad statement and sells it as the truth.

Rich does a lot of that, and it's either you find him entertaining enough, or you give up on trying to listen to an argument that feels like it comes from a 12 year old child used to getting his way, even when you kind of agree with what he says.

Let me give another example: in one of their gaming streams, they were talking about the Steam Controller. Which fine, it's probably not that great (I certainly don't see the need for one for myself, but you kinda understands what they are going for), but for the half an hour I had the stream on my second monitor, Rich wouldn't move on from: Mouse and Keyboard is better, you should just use M&K.

And people in the chat from what I can tell were saying: but Rich, this is for those games that you want to play with a controller, but don't have native support, or in a case where you don't want to carry your M&K around to your couch. You know, normal stuff people would suggest in what was supposed to be a back and forth discussion. Yet all Rich would ever say over and over was; it sucks, M&K is better, end of discussion, to the point where I just closed the stream.

I get where he is coming from with the 3rd person shooter one size fits all genre for gaming, yet he pushes the points in such a pendantic way there is no point listening to anything he has to say at that point. And like I said, sometimes that absolutism works, especially when making fun of "bad" things, but when you are expecting a nuanced conversation, it's just extremely tiresome to listen to.

In the CW review, the "Iron Man was right" point is that. And heck, I agree that Iron Man was right, but it's not conducive to anything when you stubbornly refuse to listen to anything else.

Sephzilla

I kind of get the feeling Mike went into the movie not wanting to like it, because he just didn't seem like he payed attention to half the movie. I've already accepted that Rich doesn't have the same taste in movies that I do but it irked me that he kept trying to drive home that Iron Man's side was so clearly the right side when, in all honesty, it wasn't.

It was weird that Jay was the guy who liked the big summer blockbuster and Mike wasn't.

He said that? I must've been distracted cause I didn't hear that part. Jesus Christ, Mike.

I did enjoy him calling Rich a cracker.

I didn't. It might be the least overt of the jokes that were shitty this time around, but it comes off with everything else as him making fun of what he thinks black people say, with a thin veneer of "us vs. them" coming across because there's prominent black heroes in the movie. The context to his comments this time just felt....different than they usually do from him, and I've noticed that being the case off and on in the last few months with other stuff too.

He also did it because he knew how Rich would react, and he's been greatly enjoying tormenting Rich and making him go "What the fuck, Mike" for a while now. I like seeing Mike fuck with people, but I hope the diet racist jokes aren't going to become a trend with him.

Sanjuro

I disagree a little. While he does fuck with Rich, it seemed this episode both Rich and Mike were both equally gleeful in their malcontent for Civil War where Jay played the straight man for once.

Shy

I didn't. It might be the least overt of the jokes that were shitty this time around, but it comes off with everything else as him making fun of what he thinks black people say, with a thin veneer of "us vs. them" coming across because there's prominent black heroes in the movie. The context to his comments this time just felt....different than they usually do from him, and I've noticed that being the case off and on in the last few months with other stuff too.

He also did it because he knew how Rich would react, and he's been greatly enjoying tormenting Rich and making him go "What the fuck, Mike" for a while now. I like seeing Mike fuck with people, but I hope the diet racist jokes aren't going to become a trend with him.
Completely agree.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I kinda wish they'd reviewed both Civil War and Civil War in the same episode just for the heck of it. Maybe Rich could have turned into a history buff or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised FOX News hasn't dedicated an hour to the character and his "links to a radical organization" that I would expect them to promote.

Shy

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised FOX News hasn't dedicated an hour to the character and his "links to a radical organization" that I would expect them to promote.
It's still early. And they definitely will when his solo film comes out.

It's funny, this is honestly the first time i had even registered the connection in the names. (not that they are connected somehow, just that they both have the same name)

He said that? I must've been distracted cause I didn't hear that part. Jesus Christ, Mike.

https://youtu.be/mJvUTFVqwJQ?t=129

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mike hasn't shown any on camera sincerity in a long time, and the show is so much worst for it

I get it, if you stick your leg out online it makes you assailable. being detached makes it super easy to always have the intellectual high-ground. it's also super predictable... boring.

Mike hasn't put in any on camera effort/sincerity in a long time, and the show is so much worst for it

all of his sincerity goes to Plinkett and the laughter he has from Best of the Worst which are my favorite moments when you see him genuinely laughing his ass off at some joke or moment on screen.

Let us not forget Half in the Bag is a "review lite" where these guys go watch a movie and with little to no research or preparation get in front of a camera and discuss their feelings while it's in fresh in their minds. They're much more eloquent than others but are also in the heat of the moment from watching a movie with a friend. Mike just doesn't seem to care for most of the movies that come out for half in the bag honestly.

His most sincere moment in that from what I've seen is how much fun they were having ragging on Boyhood.

I think it is weird that the black hero is called "black panther". It reminds me of the old super friends where the one black hero was "black vulcan"

He's a completely awesome character and I loved all the Wakandan stuff. I don't read comics. how did his name come about?

BLACKLAC

I think it is weird that the black hero is called "black panther". It reminds me of the old super friends where the one black hero was "black vulcan"

He's a completely awesome character and I loved all the Wakandan stuff. I don't read comics. how did his name come about?

761st Tank Battalion.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but to me, their recent videos make it seem like Mike and Rich are getting burnt out with their process. They don't come across interested when either watching the movies or talking about them anymore. Maybe its different in the RLM stuff I don't watch, I don't know.

I like story focused games, but examples like The Order and QB immediately give me ,,nope"-vibes.
I'm surprised they don't have a giant dislike-bar on the QB review though.
Have you played Quantum Break? Because it's totally not a cover shooter, and like Vanquish, encourages aggressive gameplay, evasive moment, and smart combined usage of your abilities. I made a thread about how surprisingly refreshing and active the combat was
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215313
SimpleSlushyChimneyswift.gif

And honestly, I thought their portrayal of QB was pretty unfair. Those story bits they singled out, the walking around moments they showed, etc. were mostly all in the first 20-30 minutes of the game, and before you get your abilities or a weapon

Cheerilee

Tony was wall-to-wall wrong in Civil War (probably because it's a Captain America movie, not an Iron Man or Avengers).

General Ross, aka the guy who is worse than useless when it comes to containing the Hulk and causes massive collateral damage with tanks while only making Hulk madder, says that the Avengers cause too much collateral damage and need some sort of government oversight (because it works so well for him). The proof? Avengers 1 in New York, where the Avengers saved the world from alien invasion, while operating under the direct oversight of a government agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D. And CA:TWS, where the world leaders tried to give SHIELD a ridiculous amount of power and HYDRA almost used it to completely destroy the world (SHIELD and the government directly involved and basically responsible). So SHIELD was disbanded and the Avengers became a private security firm under Stark Industries. And then Tony built Ultron, who wrecked a city in an attempt to wipe out humanity (while thousands of lives were being saved illegally by rogue SHIELD agents).

Cap doesn't want to sign the hero registration bill and become a pawn of General Ross, because he believes it will criminalize acts of heroism and force heroes to run missions that aren't exactly heroic. Tony is then forced against his will by his government to take up arms against his friends for acts of unauthorized heroism and drag them into an undersea supermax prison, proving Cap right on both counts. Also note, the ridiculously-expensive undersea prison was likely built by General Ross to contain the Hulk, which is laughable, although it can contain that guy who's pretty accurate with a bow, provided you don't let him have his bow, and that guy who can shrink, provided to don't let him wear his shrinking-suit, and that guy who flies a rocket-wing, provided you don't let him wear his rocket wings. Also, Steve Rogers can evidently break into this prison unarmed and release everyone. This is the government entity that Tony's getting into bed with.

And speaking of Falcon, Vision shot and crippled War Machine, but he could have even more easily injured the guy whose spine he was actually aiming at, which was Falcon. Nice control there Tony. And Falcon abandoned his escape to try and help War Machine. What thanks does he get? KO'ed by a sucker punch from Tony who's upset that his better friend got hurt. But I guess it's easier to punch Falcon than it is to punch Vision, who BTW, isn't making much of a positive hero impression. Doesn't bother helping with the opening fight, acts like a creepy stalker imprisoning Scarlet Witch, beats down the bow guy without even letting him use his bow (beyond that one moment where he briefly powned Vision), and cripples his own teammates.

Also, Tony works with Black Panther, the guy with diplomatic immunity who openly wants to take the law into his own hands and murder a suspect before trial. Which fits, because after the reveal, Tony wants to take the law into his own hands and murder the suspect before trial, and will kill his friends to do it. This movie really needed to have Black Panther step in and stop Tony, in order to complete Black Panther's face-turn. But I guess friends punching each other was more exciting.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I saw CW yesterday and I got almost angry because both sides are so ridiculously stupid

Captain Planet: "Nobody is telling ME what to do! If I want to go into a foreign country and beat up the GSG9 I WILL do that and you can't stop me!"

Iron Maiden: "Oh no, 31 people were killed when we saved the entire world. Look, here is a photo of a dead guy! Clearly everything we do is wrong!"

And of course for all the "Which side are YOU on" marketing, the movie made it pretty clear which side it thinks is the "wrong" side.

I saw CW yesterday and I got almost angry because both sides are so ridiculously stupid

Captain Planet: "Nobody is telling ME what to do! If I want to go into a foreign country and beat up the GSG9 I WILL do that and you can't stop me!"

Iron Maiden: "Oh no, 31 people were killed when we saved the entire world. Look, here is a photo of a dead guy! Clearly everything we do is wrong!"

And of course for all the "Which side are YOU on" marketing, the movie made it pretty clear which side it thinks is the "wrong" side.
You didn't expect cap to be wrong in his own movie, did you? It's not about being right or wrong it was more about "can I understand why both sides are supporting their equally stupid agendas." I think they did pull that off well despite the conflict being stupid and unnecessary from a rational perspective.

Top Bottom