• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I think the pirate video could have been longer and more entertaining but oh well.
Are there any other penalties for pirating QB besides the eye patch? Seems kinda dumb.

how is that a replacement for contacting customer service? support forums aren't customer service, and it isn't exactly good form to have employees of a developer going around trolling people on support forums. not to mention people can actually see that you've purchased games on steam on your profile.

if a bug is prevalent in a paid copy of a game, you have a record of purchase and can contact your vendor for a refund or to get the developer to fix it otherwise. if the developer doesnt fix the issue then they dont deserve your business in the future.

how is this any different than a normal game-breaking bug?

Not every game ever was, is, or will be on Steam. Nor is Steam the only way to get a lot of games that are on Steam. There are companies that offer official support through their forums, and companies that do not offer official support on their official support forums should not have official support forums to avoid confusion.

And I completely agree with the idea that employees shouldn't go around trolling people on the support forums. That was my whole freaking point. I don't dislike this form of DRM any more than any other, I dislike how I've historically seen some companies handle it. That is, unprofessionally. Yes, Steam help immensely with this, but only for games that are only available on Steam.

And the difference between this and any other game-breaking bug is that with any other game-breaking bug, you don't have to jump through hoops to prove you actually own the game before anyone will bother listening to you. As for refunds, Steam only gives a refund if you've played fewer than a certain number of hours, which this bug (or any other game-breaking bug) could rear its head well after that point, and no physical retailer I know of accepts returns on opened games.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Not every game ever was, is, or will be on Steam. Nor is Steam the only way to get a lot of games that are on Steam. There are companies that offer official support through their forums, and companies that do not offer official support on their official support forums should not have official support forums to avoid confusion.

And I completely agree with the idea that employees shouldn't go around trolling people on the support forums. That was my whole freaking point. I don't dislike this form of DRM any more than any other, I dislike how I've historically seen some companies handle it. That is, unprofessionally. Yes, Steam help immensely with this, but only for games that are only available on Steam.

And the difference between this and any other game-breaking bug is that with any other game-breaking bug, you don't have to jump through hoops to prove you actually own the game before anyone will bother listening to you. As for refunds, Steam only gives a refund if you've played fewer than a certain number of hours, which this bug (or any other game-breaking bug) could rear its head well after that point, and no physical retailer I know of accepts returns on opened games.

but you're talking about such fringe cases its ridiculous. it is in no way even 1% of the issues out there, and really the whole thing is a strawman argument.

you need to provide examples of this happening. you're talking about all of these theoreticals and it comes down to one thing -- you buy your thing from a retailer, you are entitled to a refund if it is broken or to support if you so desire.

if the support forums are the only way to get customer service, then its time to get a refund from your retailer. Steams not the only vendor, obviously, but any legitimate vendor provides a receipt. there are consumer protections in most of the modern world.

why is your supposed game-breaking bug any different from any other game-breaking bug? just because its something designed for pirates? why is it any less legitimate?

The moment Mike made that face when Rich explained Black Panther I was half-expecting some sort of racist remark... I got one but it wasn't the one I expected.

I pretty much agreed with Jay 100% and it's usually pretty obvious when Mike is bored because he forgets or misremembers major elements of the plot. As a huge comic fan I always find it funny that Rich is the comic expert of the group (and video game "expert"). The major issue in the comic version has to do with secret identities which the MCU doesn't have. The problem with these movies is also the strength of their format which is that they work pretty poorly as standalone tentpoles. I thought everyone's position made a lot of sense if you consider their experiences in iron man 3, age of ultron, and winter soldier. Tony feels really shitty about everything and there's no way cap is going to trust the government after the events of winter soldier.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I pretty much agreed with Jay 100% and it's usually pretty obvious when Mike is bored because he forgets or misremembers major elements of the plot. As a huge comic fan I always find it funny that Rich is the comic expert of the group (and video game "expert"). The major issue in the comic version has to do with secret identities which the MCU doesn't have. The problem with these movies is also the strength of their format which is that they work pretty poorly as standalone tentpoles. I thought everyone's position made a lot of sense if you consider their experiences in iron man 3, age of ultron, and winter soldier. Tony feels really shitty about everything and there's no way cap is going to trust the government after the events of winter soldier.

Spoilers, I guess, but:
The whole movie is about how he's being manipulated by some no name villain. He doesn't need a big evil government to tell him to do the wrong thing, because he is more than capable of doing that himself.

Spoilers, I guess, but:
The whole movie is about how he's being manipulated by some no name villain. He doesn't need a big evil government to tell him to do the wrong thing, because he is more than capable of doing that himself.

Except:
Cap turns out to be right all along because he's learned to be suspicious of people associated with the government. He notices something is off about the psychologist right away. The only person who was manipulated at all in the movie is Tony.

I did like how all three of them laughed at the idea of the UN being able to do anything at all regarding the Sokovia Accords. There's what over 200 sovereign nations in the world and only half wanted to sign the accords...I would have loved the "OK I guess we're moving to Costa Rica, then. See you next time there's an alien invasion."

Great episode. Haven't seen the movie, but it went pretty much how I expected review wise.
Rich has become HiTB's version of Kenny from South Park. Can't wait to see what his next character will be like.

Houndi101

Thought Butch was Jack from the preview image
All bald people look alike

Edit: the hack frauds had less shakey cam in the fight scene than ScarJos scenes in Civil War

I liked the review. I was a little surprised by Mike's reaction, but I definitely get where he's coming from. Comic book movies start to bore me personally, because there's usually this huge battle with gigantic explosions in the third act and I can't see that shit anymore. Civil War kinda avoided that, which was nice. I also didn't think the tonal shift with Spider-Man was too jarring.

Sanjuro

I liked the review. I was a little surprised by Mike's reaction, but I definitely get where he's coming from. Comic book movies start to bore me personally, because there's usually this huge battle with gigantic explosions in the third act and I can't see that shit anymore. Civil War kinda avoided that, which was nice. I also didn't think the tonal shift with Spider-Man was too jarring.

Mike is a lot like me in some ways. Marvel just kept pumping out generic stuff to the point I didn't care anymore.

The last few entries have reigned me in back in a bit.

NotLiquid

Team Jay on the movie, he really went in when it came to defending it. Surprised Mike didn't like it but I can't imagine it held his attention much. I expected the opening impressions to be a joke on his part at first and Rich didn't feel like he got in too deep in how different the comic/movie was in it's political angle.

Also agree with Rich on Steve not having much of a moral high ground in this movie.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Team Jay on the movie, he really went in when it came to defending it. Surprised Mike didn't like it but I can't imagine it held his attention much. I expected the opening impressions to be a joke on his part at first and Rich didn't feel like he got in too deep in how different the comic/movie was in it's political angle.

Also agree with Rich on Steve not having much of a moral high ground in this movie.

How does he not have a moral high ground?
Tony and the UN was to execute a man on sight with due process. UN doesn't even want to look at evidence that might clear him.

Yeah Team Jay as well, I felt like Rich and Mike we're both angry at the film for the wrong reasons. The fact both took complete opposite sides on "team x/y was completely correct" should have made them realize that the political angle of the story worked.

Yeah Team Jay as well, I felt like Rich and Mike we're both angry at the film for the wrong reasons. The fact both took complete opposite sides on "team x/y was completely correct" should have made them realize that the political angle of the story worked.

I don't think that necessarily works against their argument that it was two different movies crammed together and somewhat rough around the seams, because it's true that if they didn't bring in most of the avengers it probably would've been a more tightly-plotted and emotionally resonant movie. They had that whole airport sequence as fan-service and fans responded better to it than jaded hacks like Mike and Rich did.

I liked the movie a lot but I agree with their criticisms, what they disliked about it didn't seem nitpicky or reaching. Granted, it's difficult to reconcile with Mike actually liking TFA and JW, but that's a bad rabbit hole to go down.

I actually agree with Mike and Rich about it being an okay movie and tonal shifts that kind of irked me.

As much as I liked Spider-Man in the movie, his presence reminded me a bit of how Wonder Woman was kind of thrown into Batman V Superman, but he had a bit more reason to be there with the bedroom speech he had with Stark.

I wish Ant-Man was given a bit more reason to throw away his family life to help out Captain America as well.

I even was talking to my brother about how I thought Don Cheadel was looking really old and how it was kind of laughable that the UN would pass something of consequence.

The end fight scene was hilarious. I wonder how long until they completely destroy the Plinkett set beyond repair.

I don't think that necessarily works against their argument that it was two different movies crammed together and somewhat rough around the seams, because it's true that if they didn't bring in most of the avengers it probably would've been a more tightly-plotted and emotionally resonant movie. They had that whole airport sequence as fan-service and fans responded better to it than jaded hacks like Mike and Rich did.

I liked the movie a lot but I agree with their criticisms, what they disliked about it didn't seem nitpicky or reaching. Granted, it's difficult to reconcile with Mike actually liking TFA and JW, but that's a bad rabbit hole to go down.

They did bring up a good question, though. Is Bucky really enough to carry the plot for two movies? I already didn't care much for him in The Winter Soldier and I sure as heck didn't care more for him in Civil War. Of course, that might be because Bucky is barely a character in those movies.

Mike's idea about someone pulling the strings behind the UN was pretty bad, as it's basically a rehash of the Winter Soldier plot.

So, I haven't seen any of these Marvel movies in a while, probably Winter Soldier was the last one I saw and I'm still baffled that people think it is a 70's thriller, but was the Hydra stuff ever addressed in subsequent films? Or, was it something that was just brushed off at the end of Winter Soldier like the stupefying ending of Iron Man 3 where Stark says "Eh, I'll fix you later" to Gwyneth Paltrow's character? And, did THAT ever get addressed?

So, I haven't seen any of these Marvel movies in a while, probably Winter Soldier was the last one I saw and I'm still baffled that people think it is a 70's thriller, but was the Hydra stuff ever addressed in subsequent films? Or, was it something that was just brushed off at the end of Winter Soldier like the stupefying ending of Iron Man 3 where Stark says "Eh, I'll fix you later" to Gwyneth Paltrow's character? And, did THAT ever get addressed?

This annoys me more than it should. How did that even get started?

I was watching the Pre-Rec video on Quantum Break and it was hard to finish. After (rightfully) shitting on console warriors/fanboys, they went on to explain why they (or rather Jack, as Rich didn't get to play much of it) didn't like the game, which is fine. But then Rich comes in with a broad statement and sells it as the truth.

Basically, all third-person shooters are lazy games made by failed wannabe movie directors who didn't give a shit (after talking about QB, they mentioned Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Order as examples).

I'm not a fan of the Uncharted series and thought TLOU was okay, but it should be perfectly fine for a game to have its focus on the story instead of gameplay. That doesn't mean the gameplay was an afterthought (like Rich said) and that the directors didn't give a shit. What a shitty thing to say.

It's okay to not like a certain genre of movies or games, but that doesn't mean people don't put their heart and soul into these games. I thought the shooting in Quantum Break felt great and that TLOU had some neat little additions that weren't handled as well in other games.

Personally, I'd take most games that focus more on atmosphere and telling the story over one that simplifies it for the gameplay. That doesn't mean that I see other games as garbage games from people who couldn't come up with a proper story. They have every right to exist, especially if others enjoy them.

Top Bottom