• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

UrbanRats

I don't know. I find that excerpt pretty weird to be honest. It is just asinine to completely ignore that sexism has been an important factor. It just doesn't reflect well on whoever does that.

I think that's undeniable, because the hate was disproportionate, even for a reboot of a beloved nerd franchise.

Thing is, since the film does look pretty bad in general (from trailers) i think it's fair not to want to take part in that whole thing, because if you do criticize the movie, you risk getting on your side a lot of awful people, for the wrong reasons.
But at the same time, you really can't say the movie is great just because these people exist.
Personally i'm not even a big Ghostbusters fan, i enjoy it, but that's about it, so i'm not really invested in how this movie will be doing.
If you're a fan though, it mustn't be an easy line to walk, if you want to avoid any sort of drama in your comment sections.

komplanen

I underatand why some people don't want to step on the minefield that is reviewing Ghostbusters. I just don't think it's "the sjw army's" fault though. Sexist little fuckers ruined this for both sides.

After seeinf trailer #2 I said I'd never want to watch it but I'v changed my mind. I'm gonna see the movie regardless of it looking like absolute shit because I was initially excited about the premise of an all-women Ghostbusters and I'm gonna make my own opinion that isn't influenced by bad trailers or people with rose tinted glasses or sexists. I've watched movies with bad trailers before so why stop now.

komplanen

Cjex41qUUAE1PrH.jpg:large

RLM just posted this on their twitter, oh god lol

Not getting the joke. Does she speak weird or something?

Or is it sexism? It's sexism isn't it? Fucking hell, RLM! The sausages represent the man parts of Jay, Mike, Rich and Josh. Disgusting. /s

Or fingers? Really chubby fingers,

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know. I find that excerpt pretty weird to be honest. It is just asinine to completely ignore that sexism has been an important factor. It just doesn't reflect well on whoever does that.

But the trailers have been terrible, so how do you determine that everyone's sexist when the trailers have been absolutely terrible.

So I've only just discovered this. Is there any must watch or hugely recommended videos? Or should I just start at the begining and go nuts?

Honestly?

Best of the Worst is your best bet to see the guys at the best, it is absolutely 100% their best series outside of Plinkett.

Then since there aren't that many Plinkett reviews, watch all of those as well.

Unfortunately with Half in the Bag, even though they can be amazing, they are still reviews/discussions of movies that are relatively recent for the most part. So your best bet on that is to go through the list once you've gotten used to the guys, and look at a HitB of a movie you wouldn't mind hearing their opinion over after they had JUST seen it.

Previously Recorded imho is only worth watching once you've caught up with everything else. Their opinions on games aren't all that great where they have some ridiculously high standards and don't really express their feelings over the game all that well or in depth so it comes off as shallow for the most part.

Watch all plinkett reviews

Then all botw

Then whatever hitb are for films you think would be interesting to see plus the ones we'll recommend like haunted house 2 and the resident evil retrospective

Then pre recorded

El Topo

But the trailers have been terrible, so how do you determine that everyone's sexist when the trailers have been absolutely terrible.

The response to the movie was unbelievably negative long before they had started shooting, see e.g. the 13-page thread at GAF for the cast announcement or when they visited a hospital. As has been pointed out by others in the various threads (e.g. MHWilliams), the reaction to the trailer on Youtube was above and beyond anything before. One could also point at the many, many social media reactions that are blatantly sexist, from Reddit to Twitter to Youtube. I have also no idea where this claim comes from that everyone that dislikes the movie is sexist or labeled sexist. That is just a sad attempt to diverge criticism by some.

It is just embarassingly dishonest to pretend that sexism has not been a significant factor. You can dislike something and still admit that there are assholes out there that feel similarly. That doesn't make you an asshole.

Nah. You can talk about the movie in a reasonable manner and criticize it (or since it is not yet out more specifically the trailers) without being labeled a sexist.
It is of course understandable if they are afraid that they might say things that could put them in a bad light. Good, smart, reasonable people can say things that may seem stupid.
Did you know that Mike hates El Topo lol

Aiii

So not worth it
The response to the movie was unbelievably negative long before they had started shooting, see e.g. the 13-page thread at GAF or when they visited a hospital. As has been pointed out by others in the various threads (e.g. MHWilliams), the reaction to the trailer on Youtube was above and beyond anything before. One could also point at the many, many social media reactions that are blatantly sexist, from Reddit to Twitter to Youtube. I have also no idea where this claim comes from that everyone that dislikes the movie is sexist or labeled sexist. That is just a sad attempt to diverge criticism by some.

It is just embarassingly dishonest to pretend that sexism has not been a significant factor. You can dislike something and still admit that there are assholes out there that feel similarly. That doesn't make you an asshole.

Every remake ever had this though, it is easy to point to it calling sexism, but was the reaction to the Robocop remake sexism? Was the reaction to Total Recall? The reaction to Transformers?

If you point at comments that are sexist and call them out for being sexist, that is fine and just, but that is not what I am seeing in most of these cases. It appears everyone is sexist just for looking at these terrible trailers and calling them terrible. That is weird. And that is what Rich points out in his comments, too, you are pretty much damned either way. Rolfe might be petty in saying he won't review this movie because he loves the original so much that he dislikes the remake pretty much by default, but that doesn't make him sexist, just a petty fanboy of the original.

Yet still, despite not knowing anything about the guy, people are calling him sexist. Which is weird. If sexism ruins the chances of female-led comedies, I can't explain the success of all-female comedies like Bridesmaids, or Mean Girls, or Trainwreck.

I think the dislike for this movie stems way more from "oh no my childhood" than it does from "ugh no women"

Cheerilee

So I've only just discovered this. Is there any must watch or hugely recommended videos? Or should I just start at the begining and go nuts?

The Plinkett reviews are amazing. Watch them all. Start with the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" movies (they're how RLM got started) and then the Star Wars Prequels (they're how RLM got famous). Also "Baby's Day Out" and "Cop Dog". Eventually watch Indiana Jones, Titanic, and Avatar.

For Half in the Bag, you can either watch everything from the beginning (if you like the silly little continuing storyline), or just the reviews of movies that you've seen or are interested in knowing what they thought of them. HitB pretty much became amazing with their review of the Adam Sandler movie "Jack and Jill".

Best of the Worst is a pretty steady, reliable series.

PreRec became big with their review of "The Order 1886". Some people sometimes hate PreRec because Rich Evans has strong opinions about what he does and doesn't like, and sometimes he hates the things you like and it feels like he's being unfair.

The response to the movie was unbelievably negative long before they had started shooting, see e.g. the 13-page thread at GAF for the cast announcement or when they visited a hospital. As has been pointed out by others in the various threads (e.g. MHWilliams), the reaction to the trailer on Youtube was above and beyond anything before. One could also point at the many, many social media reactions that are blatantly sexist, from Reddit to Twitter to Youtube. I have also no idea where this claim comes from that everyone that dislikes the movie is sexist or labeled sexist. That is just a sad attempt to diverge criticism by some.

Comes from being an outsider to the situation and then being asked by an SJW on social media to watch this hilariously sexist rant on youtube put together by hated misogynist James Rolfe. And then you go watch it and find a well-reasoned rant about Hollywood ruining childhoods which has nothing to do with women, and realize that you've just stepped into some sort of toxic minefield.

El Topo

Every remake ever had this though, it is easy to point to it calling sexism, but was the reaction to the Robocop remake sexism? Was the reaction to Total Recall? The reaction to Transformers?

I cannot recall a single remake, or a movie (or cast) for that matter, that ever got such an enormously negative reaction, especially not from the moment it was announced. If we look e.g. at the Youtube dislikes, they are historically bad. No video before even came close to such numbers. Other than Star Wars I cannot recall when a casting announcement got such a reaction at GAF (1200+ posts). Even the "Scarlett Johansson/Ghost in the Shell" thread never reached such heights. As for the movies you mention, how exactly was the reaction at the announcement? If I look at various Youtube videos it seems the general reaction before release was very positive. Reaction at GAF, I only checked Total Recall, seems to have been pretty negative at the announcement, but still very low key, with few people caring. If we then also keep in mind that all these movies had white men as leads and (mostly) did not change the gender of (important) roles, I assume sexism was never brought up (for good reason).

If you point at comments that are sexist and call them out for being sexist, that is fine and just, but that is not what I am seeing in most of these cases. It appears everyone is sexist just for looking at these terrible trailers and calling them terrible. That is weird. And that is what Rich points out in his comments, too, you are pretty much damned either way.

I think I have seen way more people complain about supposedly being labeled sexist than I have seen people be accused of sexism.

I have noticed that many people seem to have a very simplistic idea of sexism. Sexism is not just an extreme, like "Women are less intelligent than men". Similar to racism it comes in all sorts of nuances, nor does it necessarily happen consciously. The point is not that most responses have been sexist, few people are foolish enough to be blatantly sexist, but that sexism has been an important factor in the general response. Context matters. For example I have seen people (at GAF) call the all-female cast a PR stunt. Is that a sexist remark? The complaint is (to my knowledge) never brought up for all-male casts (see e.g. the Magnificent Seven remake) and seems downright nonsensical. Is the person implying that he/she has a double standard? Is he/she making a comment that is specific to this project and if so, what is he/she trying to say? What about those that accuse the movie of reverse sexism due to Chris Hemsworth' role? It is often nontrivial to determine whether or not an individual statement is the result of (to some extent) sexist views. If we take a step back and look at the grand picture, sexism however seems like an obvious answer (as a general factor to some).

Rolfe might be petty in saying he won't review this movie because he loves the original so much that he dislikes the remake pretty much by default, but that doesn't make him sexist, just a petty fanboy of the original. Yet still, despite not knowing anything about the guy, people are calling him sexist. Which is weird.

The criticism aimed at Rolfe goes beyond simply not wanting to review the movie. I would not call him sexist, but all things considered (friends/context/history/video) I can (to some extent) understand why *some* would accuse him of being sexist (to some extent). I should mention though that for this particular incident I *do* have seen pretty dumb articles (from both sides), such as someone ignoring that Rolfe is a self-proclaimed Ghostbusters fan and instead pointing out that Rolfe seems to not have covered Jem. I also have not kept up about how Rolfe has responded to all this. Either way, he is a bad example for "Anyone tackling the issue is labeled a sexist".

If sexism ruins the chances of female-led comedies, I can't explain the success of all-female comedies like Bridesmaids, or Mean Girls, or Trainwreck.

If racism is real, then how come Obama got elected?

As with many things, we are not talking about something that is necessarily reflective of mainstream or commercial success. This may be a matter specifically regarding a very vocal minority, maybe even specific to geek culture. One could however argue that these incredibly negative reactions may have an impact on movies with female leads (and specifically regarding big budget and/or geeks). After all, this is an industry that pointed at Catwoman/Elektra to claim that women should not be leads (of big budget movies). This is an industry that has used whatever excuse it can find to keep women (and minorities) down again and again and again, behind and in front of the camera.

I think the dislike for this movie stems way more from "oh no my childhood" than it does from "ugh no women"

I have to disagree.

This is a world where Gamergate is a thing. As with Gamergate, this is another case where a lot of people have suddenly discovered that they care strongly about ethics, in this case regarding filmmaking, the moment women were involved with a big ("geek") property. Fortunately, unlike Gamergate, things have not escalated much and have been comparatively civilized.

Is this really a problem specific to Ghostbusters, a franchise with one great movie, one pretty bad sequel (almost twenty years ago), two animated TV series (the latter one pretty bad), comics, a manga, novels, many horrendous videogames and all sorts of shitty merchandise? Their fans now, at all times, decide that enough is enough?

Edit:
Can't believe I have to talk about this movie again. Jesus. Can we please switch to less annoying things? I really, really don't want to de-rail this thread and I'm honestly sick of talking about Ghostbusters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the video with Mike at that convention is the best one.

I tend to rewatch their Best of the Worst playlist every few months, because them eviscerating bad movies never gets old

Honestly?

Best of the Worst is your best bet to see the guys at the best, it is absolutely 100% their best series outside of Plinkett.

Then since there aren't that many Plinkett reviews, watch all of those as well.

Watch all plinkett reviews

Then all botw

The Plinkett reviews are amazing. Watch them all. Start with the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" movies (they're how RLM got started) and then the Star Wars Prequels (they're how RLM got famous). Also "Baby's Day Out" and "Cop Dog". Eventually watch Indiana Jones, Titanic, and Avatar.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I'm starting with the Plinkett reviews and moving onwards from there :D

keep in mind that outside of Episode 1, Episode 2 and 3 plinkett reviews are full feature length in time. As in I'm pretty sure they're like an hour and a half in time. They're super entertaining though.

Should I watch the non wheel best of the worsts? I watched the first few when they came out and didn't like it I imagine they are better now?
Wheel of the Worst has some amazing episodes (the recent one being one of them) and the one about being cool with fire safety, but it also has some duds.

I'd say if you aren't crazy about them so far, just stick with regular best of the Worst which are always fantastic.

Maybe skip the first few and start from a later point once they find their groove.

That was a wheel

Regular Best of the Worst works best if you enjoy seeing them watch C/D-tier movies and talking about them later. They aren't always going to be balls to the wall crazy. But they still tend to choose a movie at the end they all liked the best.

It's like a more in-depth Half in the Bag imho, where they can show clips.

Top Bottom