• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

They were going to review it but Rich ended up streaming it. They both seemed to hate it on stream.
To be fair as someone who is enjoying the game, it's a game that loses its oomph fairly quickly. Planets may be procedurally generated but I've yet to come in to a planet thinking "oh fuck this is like the water planet or the frozen clouds from Interstellar" where it truly is alien.

Game has long legs where I'll likely always play a bit here and there. But it's not good for binging.

inky

They thought Uncharted 4 was boring. NMS never stood a chance.

They thought Uncharted 4 was boring because they don't usually like narrative driven games in that style.

They are much more open to crafting/survival/gameplay driven games, which is a category I would put NMS under. They didn't like it for different reasons.

I've been a fan of Uncharted since the first one and even I thought U4 was boring.
I played all 3 recently in the ps4 collection, then played uc4. Honestly I can see why people aren't thrilled with it as its a lot more cinematic than the other ones, but personally as someone who likes games when they're cinematic as long as it has great characters and fun gameplay, I loved it.

I don't know if I'd rank it above uncharted 2, but it's either above it or tied depending on the day I'm comparing it.

UrbanRats

I played all 3 recently in the ps4 collection, then played uc4. Honestly I can see why people aren't thrilled with it as its a lot more cinematic than the other ones, but personally as someone who likes games when they're cinematic as long as it has great characters and fun gameplay, I loved it.

I don't know if I'd rank it above uncharted 2, but it's either above it or tied depending on the day I'm comparing it.

The big problem is how much time is dedicated to empty, pointless climbing, not how much cinematic it is.
Infact, the climbing sections often times break the pacing even storywise, removing a lot of momentum.

komplanen

Haha I love Jack sliding that FOV slider all the way because he probably thought it's "maxing out the settings".

EDIT: In the live stream for HL2

Haha I love Jack sliding that FOV slider all the way because he probably thought it's "maxing out the settings".

EDIT: In the live stream for HL2

It was really weird to hear Jack complain about the PS4 version lacking the graphics setting. Seemed like complaining for the sake of complaining. Reminded me why I stopped caring for Pre-rec unless Jay was in it.

Oreoleo

To be fair they're not the only ones when it comes to NMS. Outside of the hardcore stans even people who like it admit the illusion wears off quickly.

No, I know. I've got the game and it's fine. It's not terrible but it's also far from perfect. So NMS is definitely not the right hill to die on for this, but their shtick of being seemingly incapable of having a balanced opinion about a game is so, so tired.

No, I know. I've got the game and it's fine. It's not terrible but it's also far from perfect. So NMS is definitely not the right hill to die on for this, but their shtick of being seemingly incapable of having a balanced opinion about a game is so, so tired.

yeah I still don't tend to like their reviews since usually they're so fucking negative. Though the MN9 review was surprisingly respectful all things considered. Like they admit many aspects are strong but then ultimately say it's a failure due to the shit surrounding the game.

It's funny if the game din't have Inafune attached to it, not to mention being marketed as the spiritual succesor to MM, it would have done fine critically as an indie MM clone.

yeah I still don't tend to like their reviews since usually they're so fucking negative. Though the MN9 review was surprisingly respectful all things considered. Like they admit many aspects are strong but then ultimately say it's a failure due to the shit surrounding the game.

It's funny if the game din't have Inafune attached to it, not to mention being marketed as the spiritual succesor to MM, it would have done fine critically as an indie MM clone.

You can't separate the two because a MN9 by inticreates without inafune/kickstarter would not have likely targeted all the extra modes and systems that hampered the development of MN9.

theyre going to shit on the game so hard, it might be funny
Even people who were hyped for it are shitting on it. This is Molyneux levels of lies. Even more than that. I hope it was worth it though, because now the gaming community, at least the internet community which is actively involved, is wary as fuck.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Even people who were hyped for it are shitting on it. This is Molyneux levels of lies. Even more than that. I hope it was worth it though, because now the gaming community, at least the internet community which is actively involved, is wary as fuck.

I think I got pretty much what I expected at least from watching the videos. I guess Im underwhelmed at the micro-level stuff but the macro is exactly what I wanted. The gameplay is so-so, but its interesting enough for me since I never play sandbox games really. I think starbounds crafting is too confusing for me due to the UI

I wouldn't mind a simpler crafting exploration game (I find Minecraft can be too complex without having an interner guide up) but I still need more to do then what I've seen from any gameplay footage of NMS.

inky

Well, it looks NMS turned out like many expected it to.

The game kind of defeats itself; they give you this vast, "unexplored" universe for you to lose yourself in, but there's a copy pasted station/aliens/monolith every 50m on every planet you land because we can't have a player go 5 minutes without finding something they need and because the procedural generation system ain't really that robust to begin with.

I can understand people enjoying that kind of thing*, but overall from what I've seen at least, it looks like a game that just launched on Early Access and is a good year or two away from delivering half of what it should.

*(I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 for putting you in a variety of empty planets with beautiful skyboxes and not much to do in them, but it was just a distraction from the real thing, not the actual game).

Sanjuro

Previously Recorded
‏@PreviouslyRec
Jack is currently 171,257 Light-years away from the center of the universe and god damn it does he hate this game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, it looks NMS turned out like many expected it to.

The game kind of defeats itself; they give you this vast, "unexplored" universe for you to lose yourself in, but there's a copy pasted station/aliens/monolith every 50m on every planet you land because we can't have a player go 5 minutes without finding something they need and because the procedural generation system ain't really that robust to begin with.

I can understand people enjoying that kind of thing*, but overall from what I've seen at least, it looks like a game that just launched on Early Access and is a good year or two away from delivering half of what it should.

*(I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 for putting you in a variety of empty planets with beautiful skyboxes and not much to do in them, but it was just a distraction from the real thing, not the actual game).

Rich actually compared it to ME1 and said that since the ME1 locations had stories (which they did), it was at least better than NMS.

Shy

Rich actually compared it to ME1 and said that since the ME1 locations had stories (which they did), it was at least better than NMS.
Thing is though. NMS has little story bites (Like ME1) in the monolith ruins.

I don't think they ever went to them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thing is though. NMS has little story bites (Like ME1) in the monolith ruins.

I don't think they ever went to them.
Rich has basically done nothing and Jack is trying to rush to the end to see the ending, so yeah.

That said, the "story" path doesn't discount the fact that most of the other planets are just... well, exactly what you'd expect from procedurally generated planets.

inky

I thought ME1 was unplayable.

If by "unplayable" you mean in contention for game of the generation maybe only behind Red Dead Redemption then I agree ;P

But that's neither here nor there. It's overall funnier when they hate a game and tear into it, so looking forward to their video.

If by "unplayable" you mean in contention for game of the generation maybe only behind Red Dead Redemption then I agree ;P

But that's neither here nor there. It's overall funnier when they hate a game and tear into it, so looking forward to their video.

My problem is that their reasoning for hating a game is usually pretty bad, that's why I enjoy more balanced reviews from them.

e: And yes, Mass Effect 1 is one of the best games of the last generation.

inky

Well, that's the thing, I don't watch them for their reasonable opinions on games (I've gone into detail before on this), I just keep watching them for the entertainment value, so it's funnier when they don't like something and there's a passion about that dislike.

Well, that's the thing, I don't watch them for their reasonable opinions on games (I've gone into detail before on this), I just keep watching them for the entertainment value, so it's funnier when they don't like something and there's a passion about that dislike.

It's okay to hate something with a passion. But it's annoying when they don't have good arguments to back that up. It makes them look like rambling idiots that rage for clicks.

As over-the-top the ending of their Order 1886 review was, they usually made pretty good points throughout the review, so both is definitely possible.

Sanjuro

Frustrated to the point I just stopped playing. I enjoyed the other two entries in the series, just couldn't believe that lone gameplay element singlehandedly ruined the game for me.

RDR is one of my favorites.

imBask

Banned
Frustrated to the point I just stopped playing. I enjoyed the other two entries in the series, just couldn't believe that lone gameplay element singlehandedly ruined the game for me.

RDR is one of my favorites.

i'm with you on that one, gave up on ME1 because of the controls and garbage framerate on console, never played 2 and 3 because I never finished 1

Dropped Stranger Things, made it halfway through episode 2 and didn't like it at all. Modine was my favorite character, but I didnt like the kids really at all. They were good actors but...Not my thing.

Sanjuro

Dropped Stranger Things, made it halfway through episode 2 and didn't like it at all. Modine was my favorite character, but I didnt like the kids really at all. They were good actors but...Not my thing.

You probably won't like it. last two episodes dragged for me. They could have condensed it a bit more. Solid show. Nothing revolutionary, but solid.

Grinchy

Banned
I enjoyed Stranger Things and I can't wait to watch the HiTB for it. I've been holding off.

I also haven't watched the Suicide Squad episode yet since I haven't seen the movie. I'm going to get spoiled so hard on the HiTB storyline now!

Vanpastel

Watching the last stream it really bugs me that they keep talking about the centre of the universe when clearly it should be the centre of the galaxy. There is no such thing as centre of the universe, but every galaxy certainly has a centre.

Top Bottom