• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I like the round table discussions. Even without Mike, the new guys were entertaining in their own right. Especially the ending "Fuck it, you're right"

I've enjoyed both episodes so far. I'm okay with Mike not being at the discussion table. As long as one of (or two of) Mike, Jay, or Rich is at the table I'll find the segment enjoyable.

Pretty much how I feel. Nothing wrong with them branching out RLM a bit. I do feel more 'comfortable' with Mike, Jay, and Rich at this point, so I'm glad they're there.

Davey Cakes

Movie 43 sounds abominable. Why did all those actors agree to it?
A perfect example of "they didn't know what they were getting themselves into."

As for the review, I'm almost surprised at the their assessment of Warm Bodies. Reviews seemed pretty decent for it.

As for Movie 43, I remember saying in a Facebook comment that the RLM guys should see it. I'm glad that they did, and have a hilarious review of it. I honestly couldn't tell at first if they were describing the actual movie or made-up scenarios either, and I know that was definitely the point. My faith in movies has been slipping; I guess I'm just becoming cynical.

Cheerilee

Did you guys notice what happens at around 21m20s in the review?

For a moment, the funny BGM disappears and is replaced with a constant low growling noise, and Jay is gone, while Mike continues to talk to open air.

The implication is something broke Mike's brain (probably Movie 43), and this ridiculous review is all a hallucination on Mike's part.

For a moment, the funny BGM disappears and is replaced with a constant low growling noise, and Jay is gone, while Mike continues to talk to open air.

The implication is something broke Mike's brain (probably Movie 43), and this ridiculous review is all a hallucination on Mike's part.

I noticed that too. I thought I was going crazy haha

UrbanRats

It's not the first time they use that kind of scene for humor, either.

Wasn't there a post a while ago saying that they were working on two Plinkett reviews at the same time before Titanic came out? I wonder what the second one was, and when it will come out, if I am remembering correctly.

Wasn't there a post a while ago saying that they were working on two Plinkett reviews at the same time before Titanic came out? I wonder what the second one was, and when it will come out, if I am remembering correctly.

hm in the indiana jones review he mentioned the twilight movies...and something else I can't remember right now I think

what am I not getting about RLM?

its always exactly the same snobbish talk with bad impressions of "bad acting". is there something more to it, that I dont see, yet? I have seen the indiana jones 4, jack and jill one and movie 43 one.

SmithnCo

its always exactly the same snobbish talk with bad impressions of "bad acting". is there something more to it, that I dont see, yet? I have seen the indiana jones 4, jack and jill one and movie 43 one.

The Plinkett Indiana Jones one? Definitely not the best Plinkett review, try the Star Wars episode 1 one and see if you like it.

OH MY GAWD the jack and jill episode was fantastic.
hm maybe it's just not your sense of humor. but yeah try the star wars reviews

Medalion

Banned

For every amateurish nitpicking of a movie on the internet, personified into one show, that excellently tore apart the Star Wars prequels to the point of irrefutability... this community found people to look up to

Half in the bag would be infinitely better if they got rid of the blonde haired dude. Mike looks like hes annoyed with his anal-sis most of the time.

The weird thing I find about RLM is that although each episode brings a new movie or movies to review there's this kind of built-in continuity, not only of the gags/skits, but also in the analysis.

It's really worth it to start from the Episode I Plinkett review and the first Half in the Bag.

You also have to break your brain a little bit and realize that they are both incredibly serious but also totally non-serious in the way they present their reviews.

I personally love RLM. It's like Siskel & Ebert and MST3k got smashed together in The Fly's transporter.

Half in the bag would be infinitely better if they got rid of the blonde haired dude. Mike looks like hes annoyed with his anal-sis most of the time.

whaaaaaat? whaaaaat?
they're a team. half in the bag would not work with mike talking to himself. also I think it's good to have some different opinions once in a while. there were several moments I really had to agree with jay while mike had a different view on certain topics
also they are a team. + they are dudebros

386482_10150459531592634_1658298488_n.jpg

whaaaaaat? whaaaaat?
they're a team. half in the bag would not work with mike talking to himself. also I think it's good to have some different opinions once in a while. there were several moments I really had to agree with jay while mike had a different view on certain topics
also they are a team.

Yeah, but hes the half of the team that sucks.

Angry Fork

I like Jay he's a great other half. I actually find Mike to be the slightly boring one when he isn't in Plinkett character, Jay is more level headed and interesting to me. The show wouldn't be good without both.

I don't like the 'real' Plinkett guy though.

They're most famous for Star Wars reviews, watch the first few parts of their episode 1 review on youtube. If you don't like it then I don't know what else to say I guess they're not for everyone, I don't think he's snobbish at all though most reviews provide legit criticisms. There is some nit picking but those are usually small jokes rather than the real review stuff.

Davey Cakes

You definitely have to "get into" Red Letter Media.

The best place to start is the Phantom Menace Review, no doubt. And basically you stick with the Star Wars reviews and then the rest of the Plinkett reviews until you're bored with him. My faves are the three SW reviews, plus Cop Dog and Star Trek 2009, but the other Star Trek reviews were his earlier ones and they are still funny but in my opinion "not there yet."

As for Half in the Bag, I wasn't particularly sold on it until the Jack and Jill review, which was amazing. Then I started picking out other eps for movies I was interested in. And then I was hooked so I watched the rest from the beginning. Now I love it to death, and appreciate it as much as Plinkett if not more.

I'm not sure what I would consider key episodes, though. Perhaps the Paranormal Activity one, What's Your Number, Red Tails, Transformers 3 (splitting the movie, lulz), and the Zookeeper trailer review.

As for the team, Mike and Jay are inseparable. They strike a good balance of comedic and serious movie anal-sis, and their personalities bounce off each other pretty well. Mike seems more like a hard movie "buff" where Jay is a more of a movie "nerd." And I like the inclusion of Rich Evans, both as himself/characters and "fake Plinkett."

Once you become a fan of Plinkett/HitB then you can also branch into the site's miscellaneous material. But all that's more for hardcore fans.

Davey Cakes

I wouldn't have gotten into Best of the Worst without first getting into Half in the Bag. BotW is basically the spiritual successor the HitB episodes like The Black Ninja, Zaat!, and obviously Best Worst Movie.

The old Plinkett reviews are better than the new ones. I dunno if the shtick has worn off, but the jokes were better.

yeah for some reason I just did not like the titanic review, but they were trying kind of a different style there so I hope everything will be back to normal hating the next time.

Titanic is kind of difficult, because it is definitely a very bad movie wrapped in a very good movie.
I think Cop Dog and Attack of the Clones are my favourite reviews though.

Gui_PT

yeah for some reason I just did not like the titanic review, but they were trying kind of a different style there so I hope everything will be back to normal hating the next time.

The Star Wars reviews are pure mockery. The Titanic review was slightly different.

Top Bottom