• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Jacob

Didn't especially care for The Hobbit (but a big fan of the book) so I was curious to see what RLM made of it. Will watch tonight when I have the time.

Mike on the carnival ride is still hilarious.

Wish I could see 48fps for myself to decide, but I'm not driving 3 hours for a frame rate. Their feelings on the movie are similar to my own. It's got its problems, but in the end, it's an overall enjoyable experience.

I absolutely love their summary of (Hobbit spoilers for the next film)
some random dude being the one that kills Smaug
. Peter Jackson just reading that and going "what the fuck am I going to do?"

Wish I could see 48fps for myself to decide, but I'm not driving 3 hours for a frame rate.
I loved the HFR but it's absolutely not worth driving three hours for.

Davey Cakes

It's nice that movie buffs don't enjoy 3D. Makes me feel more relatable even though I'm not close to being a movie buff.

Other than Avatar, I can't think of a 3D movie experience that I would have enjoyed less if it wasn't in 3D. For me it makes movies worse most of the time, so I'll take the lower ticket price when possible. Ticket prices are getting too high as it is.

To me, a nice, clean, digital projection is still amazing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's nice that movie buffs don't enjoy 3D. Makes me feel more relatable even though I'm not close to being a movie buff.

Other than Avatar, I can't think of a 3D movie experience that I would have enjoyed less if it wasn't in 3D. For me it makes movies worse most of the time, so I'll take the lower ticket price when possible. Ticket prices are getting too high as it is.

To me, a nice, clean, digital projection is still amazing.

Tron: Legacy was incredible in 3D

I would also add Hugo, and How to Train Your Dragon to films that were improved with 3D.

UrbanRats

Their talk of 48fps was borderline idiotic.

Yep, i really love HitB, but i was looking forward to hear their opinion on this and it didn't really say anything more than "we're not used to it" and "we felt physically sick" Also their shitty position in the theather should've been enough to not held their opinion about it in that high regard.
Disappointed by that part, as i'm really curious about this 48fps thing.

Their talk of 48fps was borderline idiotic.

For me, and I wonder if they'll get many complaints, is when they said that movies have always been 24fps. Go look at a Chaplin film, or many of the silents, and you'll notice that the FPS were not standard. Some are in the teens, some in the low 30s. Yes, it codified eventually, but not "always".

As for the movie itself (I didn't see it in 48fps):

I felt it was too long. I didn't need two musical numbers in the first part of the movie in the Hobbit house. I didn't need to see every dwarf arrive. The thing with the.. trolls?.. and deciding how to cook the dwarfs went on and wasn't funny or interesting. I don't understand why they had the sequence with the brown wizard. Why did we need to hear the history of every sword from the elves? what was the point of the meeting of the two elves and two wizards in relation to the Hobbit story? Was the troll king supposed to be corny/funny? If so, it sticks out so much when everything else isn't of that tone.

I'm a cautious admirer of the LOTR movies, but I haven't read anything of Tolkein, so maybe that's why I feel so far out of the loop in The Hobbit.

GCX

I usually agree with RLM on most of their movie critique (and when I don't agree I still respect it) but that HFR talk was really really bad.

Eidan

I'm going to check out the HFR version this weekend. But as someone who already hates 3D, I can honestly say I expect to hate it. We'll see.

Chichikov

For me, and I wonder if they'll get many complaints, is when they said that movies have always been 24fps. Go look at a Chaplin film, or many of the silents, and you'll notice that the FPS were not standard. Some are in the teens, some in the low 30s. Yes, it codified eventually, but not "always".
It was (practically) always 24fps since sound was introduced.
I think you're being a bit anal here.
I mean, you can also bring Heavy Metal if you really want to, but the general point still stands (not sure how much you can draw criticism for HFR from that point, I have not yet seen the review yet).

They specifically bring this up within 5 minutes of discussing 48fps

I would like to add Prometheus to that list...
Also Hugo, Coraline/Paranorman, Tintin and the amazing lantern scene in Tangled. Actually any 3D animated film that can be rendered out directly in three dimensions works really well.

I think they have any number of reasons to dislike 3D and HFR, but it's kind of a luddite stance to say that both don't have anything to contribute as an option for filmmakers. It's interesting that this potential change is happening while some directors and cinematographers are fighting tooth and nail to keep shooting on film versus digital.

I wouldn't want to see a Lars Von Trier film in HFR 3D, but I bet someone like Fincher could do something creative with it.

Of course, they're absolutely entitled to their opinion though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Seeing the spliced in footage in what I assume is 24 fps makes me wish I hadn't wasted my money on 48 HFR, really ruined the movie for me... oh well.

Their talk about 48fps and 3d was completely dwarfed in importance by their brief but effective conclusion about many movies no longer being about telling a story but about giving an "experience." The 2 second carnival ride was not only a funny clip but also very effective in reminding me that this so-called experience is me sitting on my ass and looking at a screen while pretty pictures appear before my eyes. So pretty and technologically advanced that I'm suppose to forget about...well, everything else...lest it no longer be an experience but an actual film again. And as a film, these "experience" movies are just okay at best.

It's not an experience though. Doing something is an experience. That's the difference between going to China and watching a movie about China. Ones an experience. Another's a movie...a series of pictures (aka a story). You can't simply make the picture pop out at me and expect that simple fact to change. You can't make the picture anything more than picture at a greater framerate with less motion blur either. Hologram movies from the year 20XX...same thing. None of it has absolutely anything to do with the movie you are watching, which is apparently so uninteresting that one must resort to talking about the machines behind the film rather than the humans that made it. It just shows how uninteresting and cornered we've become as artists and as patrons of the arts...utterly dependent on tech to be creative and be amused.

It's like authors discussing font choice or painters arguing whether a Van Gogh portrait would have been better with a bigger canvas... more immersive if he went 1 to 1 with his actual height. My response would be the same: Wow.

UrbanRats

It's not an experience though. Doing something is an experience. That's the difference between going to China and watching a movie about China. Ones an experience. Another's a movie...a series of pictures (aka a story). You can't simply make the picture pop out at me and expect that simple fact to change. You can't make the picture anything more than picture at a greater framerate with less motion blur either. Hologram movies from the year 20XX...same thing.
You seem to dismiss the idea that (with sufficiently advanced technology) a real experience and a simulated one, can blend and be basically the same thing, to our brain.
I mean i agree with you if we take what we have now in terms of tech, but generally speaking, i don't think we are that sophisticated as perceptive beings.

Jex

Their discussion on High Frame Rate was extremely...odd. I understand that they didn't have a good movie going experience and they felt that the movie looked bad at that frame rate but I don't really understand why they just dismiss it outright. Surely it's far more likely that, at one point, everyone will get used to watching at stuff at 48 fps (or more) and old 24 fps movies are the ones that are going to look odd and jittery?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Surely it's far more likely that, at one point, everyone will get used to watching at stuff at 48 fps (or more) and old 24 fps movies are the ones that are going to look odd and jittery?

only if studios will force this shit on us, then yes, there's no choice but to get used to it. we can only hope they won't try to fix something that isn't broken.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Their discussion on High Frame Rate was extremely...odd. I understand that they didn't have a good movie going experience and they felt that the movie looked bad at that frame rate but I don't really understand why they just dismiss it outright. Surely it's far more likely that, at one point, everyone will get used to watching at stuff at 48 fps (or more) and old 24 fps movies are the ones that are going to look odd and jittery?
Angry Joe didn't like 48FPS either. Nor the 3D. Or the stupid vibrating seats. I'm with him. Just give me normal 2D 24FPS with stationary seats and I am fine and dandy. Can't wait for these gimmicks to go away.

Anth0ny

I didn't think the high frame rate added anything to the film, but it wasn't a bad experience either.

If they made 48 fps standard from here, I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but I wouldn't be outraged either.

I saw it in Ultra AVX at Scotia theatre in Vancouver. 3D and 48 fps. At first everything looked sped up. It looked too real. It wasn't until the last half hour or 45 minutes that it went away and everything was normal. I think if you watched your next 10 films in 48 fps, and then went back and watched a 24 fps movie, it would look slow, or in some way not 'normal'.

3D I think is ok, but it seems like not all 3D is equal. In the previews, like the new star trek, it looked like a bunch of layered 2D images. Nothing had curvature. The Hobbit was much better in this regard. My partner enjoyed it as well, and she is normally put off by 3D movies. I re watched some of the LOTR movies, and they are pretty bad in many ways. I feel like this movie was a better film. I liked the beautiful depictions of the locations. The movie did not drag on for me. I was disappointed that I couldn't watch the next two right after.

Oh, and the added clarity made the costumes seem too clean. Nothing really looks lived in. Everyone is too clean. Costume designers need to step it up. These dwarves etc sleep in the woods 90% of the time, why does their clothing look brand new? Why is their hair pristine? That took me out of the movie a little bit.

Majine

Banned
471696_10151210430012634_526592986_o.jpg

Amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lol @ the Jackson and Cameron shit talking

I maybe would have got mad about their Croods pissing if Dreamworks hadn't fucked over the original character designs.

Mariolee

No specific spoilers, though they do mention vaguely about a point in the film but never go into describing what it is. As someone who has yet to see Django yet, I don't feel spoiled at all.

strobogo

Banned
I've been mainlining RLM stuff lately. Watched all Half in the Bag episodes from the beginning and rewatched the Star Wars reviews. I need more RLM in my life.

SmithnCo

"You frauds can eat a dick. This movie was great."

Haha, so good. I agree wholeheartedly that the actual story and cinematography pulled me in more than any 3D gimmickry could hope to do.

Top Bottom