• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I still think the Plinkett reviews are fine.

It's just that we're experiencing the same thing that happened with Zero Punctuation: people just want to see him hate on stuff when he's perfectly fine with liking some things too.

However Mike Stoklasa doesn't seem like someone who is going to run his gimmick into the ground by being negative when he really doesn't need to be unlike Yahtzee, whose shtick got old as soon as he figured out he could be lazy so every review was exactly the same after that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just wanted to pitch in and say that I love these guys.

Their reviews (both Half in the Bag and the Plinkett) are extremely well done.

Davey Cakes

The Plinkett review for Titanic was probably better than the Indy 4 one. I honestly think that tackling Titanic and giving it a fair shake was quite the undertaking. It was a balanced review as opposed to the Star Wars ones which are completely shitting on the movies the entire time.

Basically, not all the Plinkett reviews are created equal. Not in the sense of quality, but the sense of the movie. Plinkett went from being pure negativity to offering cases for both sides (at least in the cases with movies that are divisive).

mattp

The Plinkett review for Titanic was probably better than the Indy 4 one. I honestly think that tackling Titanic and giving it a fair shake was quite the undertaking. It was a balanced review as opposed to the Star Wars ones which are completely shitting on the movies the entire time.

Basically, not all the Plinkett reviews are created equal. Not in the sense of quality, but the sense of the movie. Plinkett went from being pure negativity to offering cases for both sides (at least in the cases with movies that are divisive).

yeah but there are enough positive aspects of titanic to warrant discussing them for a portion of the review
star wars prequels? not so much

Davey Cakes

Xtro did look really good for a B-movie. Some great uses of practical effects and some genuinely unsettling moments. The "birth" scene was pretty disturbing, like they conveyed.

I wish that more high budget movies of today would go back to practical effects on that level. It really does make a difference when things look real (even when they're over the top).

nick nacc

Banned
Red letter media is incredible. Are there other reviews this good on the net? I ecently watched nostalgia critics review of signs and was surprised how much I liked it. Any others?

Honestly, Xtro is easily one of my favorite movies of all time now. It's very well done in every aspect, but also has those bad movie parts that allow for a lot of fun too.

His best reviews are: Star Wars Episode 1, Star Trek 09, Titanic, Avatar, and maybe a "best of" compliation of his Star Trek movie reviews.

The other Star Wars reviews are kind of just a rehash of the episode 1 one. Indiana jones is also kind of a rehash of the same criticisms. He definitely had some interesting things to say about Titanic, and the other good reviews I listed above.

Davey Cakes

The other Star Wars reviews are kind of just a rehash of the episode 1 one. Indiana jones is also kind of a rehash of the same criticisms. He definitely had some interesting things to say about Titanic, and the other good reviews I listed above.
I love the other two Star Wars reviews. The AotC one is arguably better than the Phantom Menace one. That part with the relationship analysis between Anakin and Padme is hilarious.

UrbanRats

His best reviews are: Star Wars Episode 1, Star Trek 09, Titanic, Avatar, and maybe a "best of" compliation of his Star Trek movie reviews.

The Star Wars episode 3 review is amazing.
I don't consider them rehashes, but of course he's reviewing sequels, so of course there are similarities.
-

Nice Best of the worst episode, i'm telling you that girl is all over Mike.

The Star Wars episode 3 review is amazing.
I don't consider them rehashes, but of course he's reviewing sequels, so of course there are similarities.
-

Nice Best of the worst episode, i'm telling you that girl is all over Mike.

that's because she is his girlfriend as far as I can tell :D

God damnit.

I always think: a new HitB episode via RSS. I will definitely be the first to post the link. But I'm always too late :(
How do you people find out so fast? Do they update their RSS that late?

Still this gonna be gud

They post it on Facebook or Twitter before they update their RSS feed, typically. I went looking for this on their RSS because Blip sucks at times and had to wait...

Have gone through the Trek reviews again recently, and I think they're some of his best easily. During the Wars reviews he walks the line on giving the side jokes too much screen time, the biggest offender being Attack of the Clones. I never liked Nadine being anything other than a short gag, for example. Still love all the reviews, though.

strobogo

Banned
I didn't really care for HITB at first, but now I love it and I think I look forward to it more than Plinkett reviews. I've enjoyed Best of the Worst as well. The Plinkett:TAS is awful, though.

I gained a lot of respect for Jay once I realized his editing is what makes HITB so good.

I didn't really care for HITB at first, but now I love it and I think I look forward to it more than Plinkett reviews. I've enjoyed Best of the Worst as well. The Plinkett:TAS is awful, though.

I gained a lot of respect for Jay once I realized his editing is what makes HITB so good.

Jay does do a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. Evident in the behind the scenes footage.

He's just not quite as off-the-cuff funny as Mike is, though I think Jay's views more often line up with my own.

Have gone through the Trek reviews again recently, and I think they're some of his best easily. During the Wars reviews he walks the line on giving the side jokes too much screen time, the biggest offender being Attack of the Clones. I never liked Nadine being anything other than a short gag, for example. Still love all the reviews, though.

I am definitely a big fan of the Trek reviews as well. What also helps is that Mike is definitely a huge ST nerd, so he brings out so many ways that the TV show addressed similar issues to the movies, but in a better way.

Holy shit at the ending. Perfect pay off, compared to how often they go too over the top with something like that robot skit or the ending to the otherwise amazing Jack and Jill review.

JDSN

Banned
Its the first skit that ive truly loved, the carnival ride coming in second, the skits can be so utterly cruel and bleak.

They just posted an album of weird fan art on Twitter.

Edit: Oh shit, just realized this pic was posted on the same page. Apparently this is older than I thought.

They just posted an album of weird fan art on Twitter.

9fMDa2R.jpg

they have the same stuff on facebook I believe...
some sick shit

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey wtf it says on youtube he reviewed Star Trek V, I don't see it on the site:|

Edit: Oh wtf what is this just audio?:(

Davey Cakes

Saw the new Half in the Bag notification on Facebook. Will watch tomorrow, likely. Looking forward to their take on this stupid trend of "badass" fairy tale movies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"I don't think [Jennifer Lawrence] would come back to a role that small. It would only trip up her career!"
"To soon!"

Perfect ending to a perfect episode.

Top Bottom