• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Was the Gilchrist drama ever discussed here?

I actually only found out about it a few weeks ago when it was dredged up on the RLM subreddit, and was surprised I never heard about it.

I don't know of any drama, but there was a whole bunch of hatred for him during the RLM stream (in the chat, not this thread) when they showed Gorilla Interrupted. It clearly went beyond hatred for his performance so I assumed there was something I didn't know.

rekameohs

Banned
Was the Gilchrist drama ever discussed here?

I actually only found out about it a few weeks ago when it was dredged up on the RLM subreddit, and was surprised I never heard about it.

Well, here's the whole story in two images - the internet is pretty fascinating in how it makes such mountains out molehills with "drama" like this.

[1] , [2]

Long story short, who cares? Modern RLM is awesome and I don't really care what happened in the past.

I don't know of any drama, but there was a whole bunch of hatred for him during the RLM stream (in the chat, not this thread) when they showed Gorilla Interrupted. It clearly went beyond hatred for his performance so I assumed there was something I didn't know.

Essentially, from what I gather, Gilchrist spends most of his time working on remastering The Thief and the Cobbler and doing fan-art commissions of My Little Pony characters to fund his work. He streams his process on a usual basis, and some guys on 4chan decided to hit up his stream to ask him about his RLM days.

He gets surprised by the sudden increase in viewers and goes off about how he is not friends with the guys, and he details this story about how he really hated Jay, and thought Mike was a racist scumbag (Never really explaining why). He also claimed that Jay and Mike had a big fight over both of them liking the same girl which led to them "breaking up" for a long time before making amends and rebuilding RLM. He also criticized Jay for getting drunk for the first time and desperately trying to hook up with the girl, saying something like, "Don't leave me, I'm dying," while vomiting into a trashcan.

Funny enough, while he bashes Jay and Mike he says something along the lines of, "I can't say anything bad about Rich Evans." After the incident some fans started joking about the whole thing by making mini-memes out of "I'm dying [girl's name]" and "Mike is a racist."

It really just sounds like your typical teenager/early-20s drama between friends, except Jay and Mike moved on and Gilchrist still has some bitterness about it.

Edit: Yeah, that graphic above goes into more detail.

Aiii

So not worth it
What in the actual fuck did I just read?

Not sure if glorious or batshit insane. Regardless, I was entertained.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, here's the whole story in two images - the internet is pretty fascinating in how it makes such mountains out molehills with "drama" like this.

[1] , [2]

Long story short, who cares? Modern RLM is awesome and I don't really care what happened in the past.

the internet

I actually kind of find the whole thing cute/endearing. Jay and Mike were best friends and split up over a girl, but re-connected years later and everything went great. It's got this whole "coming-of-age" comedy vibe. Gilchrist is the villain.

Oh man, loved seeing the 3 guys so young!

baR8h8I.png

Rich with hair <3

Khezu

As a Sega kid who loved Sonic at the time.

Sonic 1-3 are ass.
Sonic does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Mario, and him being in Super Smash Brothers is an insult to video games.

Their criticisms are spot on.
Sonic's speed combined with not being able to tell what's coming ahead, plus the maze like maps are frustrating to play.

Cheerilee

I never liked Sonic, and I think RLM's complaints are valid.

But AFAIK, they didn't "get" the game.

-The game encourages you to go fast.
-You have no way to know where you're going.
-You have no time to react to anything.

You're supposed to learn the stages. You're supposed to try and fail and try again. You're supposed to memorize. These were not uncommon things in the NES and Arcade era.

Once you've got it all down, *boom*, you blast your way through a maze in whatever route suits your fancy, dodging enemies before anyone could reasonably know they were even there. Once you have the game figured out, you become the fastest character in gaming. It's a game made for speedrunners. The game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't explain itself to the player, and the process of learning the maps is clunky.

I prefer Final Fantasy VI.

Oh man, some of the loonies in the Gaming thread losing their shit over this is hilarious. The internet is a scary place sometimes. One guy called them "millennials" lol

Rydeen

Oh man, some of the loonies in the Gaming thread losing their shit over this is hilarious. The internet is a scary place sometimes. One guy called them "millennials" lol

Yeah I saw that. What the hell? Rich is old enough to have had a birthday party as a kid at Showbiz Pizza Place. No millenial has any idea what Showbiz Pizza Place is.

markot

Banned
It is over rated >.<

Running is fun but you miss like 90% of the level if you try and speed through (!)

Its a poor poor mans Mario.

And they made a good point. Whys it so hard to make a good 3d sonic? Cause speed doesnt work! And without that he is nothing!

Since we're all in a safe place, I will finally voice my opinion on Sonic; only three types of people like Sonic: kids/babies, people who wrongly chose the genesis over the NES/SNES back in the 90s, and furries.

aravuus

Nvm, found it. Lots of harsh opinions but I can't really disagree with the video not being very good.

Rich Evans being annoying though :( I could see someone saying this about Jack even though I still like him but come on, Rich Evans. Rich Evans.

Since we're all in a safe place, I will finally voice my opinion on Sonic; only three types of people like Sonic: kids/babies, people who wrongly chose the genesis over the NES/SNES back in the 90s, and furries.

And the ones I've seen most on the Internet are the furries. I've always wondered why Sonic furry stuff is so popular, nothing about that character lends itself to that type of.. Stuff.

The edgy something the hedgehog original characters deviantart is filled with are the best tho

Aiii

So not worth it
Never been a huge Sonic fan either, though some of their complaints aren't valid, some very much are.

I did thouroughly enjoy Sonic Spinball though, that's a great game. But Sonic isn't the best the Genesis had to offer, while Mario arguably is for the SNES. It's definitely being overrated on the basis of that alone (which of course is a result of playground console wars over "WHO IS BETTER" and Sonic being the SEGA mascot and what not).

Rydeen

Never been a huge Sonic fan either, though some of their complaints aren't valid, some very much are.

I did thouroughly enjoy Sonic Spinball though, that's a great game. But Sonic isn't the best the Genesis had to offer, while Mario arguably is for the SNES. It's definitely being overrated on the basis of that alone (which of course is a result of playground console wars over "WHO IS BETTER" and Sonic being the SEGA mascot and what not).
Exactly. I grew up a Nintendo kid, but now as a proud Genesis owner I can safely say that Sega made a lot of great games for its system, some even rivaling Nintendo's output, but Sonic is not the Mario killer it was hyped/marketed as. Heck, it's not even Sonic Team's best game on the Genesis: Ristar is better than the Sonic games, IMO.

jman2050

What makes you think you're safe here?

I like RLM just as much as the next guy!

UrbanRats

I don't enjoy their videogame videos, but i do share the hate for Sonic games, it's something i've been voicing for years to be honest.
I just don't get the basic premise of Sonic, a friend of mine who likes them basically told me that the point is to get good at a level so you can go fast; basically going fast being sort of a reward for memorizing a level, which i guess make sense, but don't feel like playing with slow sonic to get there, is worth my time.

That said, they were a bit too quick to write off the game for their suckery (and again, i get it, because it's what i was prone to do also, before asking someone who liked it what did they saw in it).

They should've had someone in there that liked Sonic, to have a more interesting discussion.
This comes off more like two butthurt people riffing on a game they suck at.

Top Bottom