• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I'm finding their Pre rec stuff to be rather redundant. They're opinions the majority of the time are pretty popular/surface level critique packaged as having the same "rock the boat" mentality as the rest of the sites' output but not really delivering.

FPSs are generic and brown
Nintendo is fun and colourful
Sonic is a shallow marketing ploy

While I agree with their points for the most part, I'm not getting anything else from their videos and they aren't offering anything thousands of other reviewers aren't doing already, unlike everything else RLM does.

I think there is room for game criticism on the site but in its current form, I find it to be rather uninspired and perfunctory.

UrbanRats

I'm finding their Pre rec stuff to be rather redundant. They're opinions the majority of the time are pretty popular/surface level critique packaged as having the same "rock the boat" mentality as the rest of the sites' output but not really delivering.

FPSs are generic and brown
Nintendo is fun and colourful
Sonic is a shallow marketing ploy

While I agree with their points for the most part, I'm not getting anything else from their videos and they aren't offering anything thousands of other reviewers aren't doing already, unlike everything else RLM does.

I think there is room for game criticism on the site but in its current form, I find it to be rather uninspired and perfunctory.
I don't think there is.
They just don't have that many members that seem to give a shit about games, and what they had so far wasn't simply as fun as their movie coverage.

It's not like you're getting life altering movie critique from them, but they always know how to frame it in a fun way, whereas their gaming stuff is very straight forward and, as you pointed out, pretty popular and surface level opinions, not dressed up in a particularly funny format, like their movie stuff is.

Since this is my thread, I'm taking the opportunity to crap it up without jumping over to the Gaming Side to see their opinions. (EDIT: I did this anyway lol)

Since we're all in a safe place, I will finally voice my opinion on Sonic; only three types of people like Sonic: kids/babies, people who wrongly chose the genesis over the NES/SNES back in the 90s, and furries.

Well, I'm only #2 on that list, I suppose, even though I did own an NES and got an SNES later in life. So I'm here to defend Sonic 2, at least.

Watching them play Sonic 2 was painful, and it's not because "oh they suck, they don't know the levels". It's because they run through the whole damn level like it's a Mario game. Watch all of their footage. Nary one time do they ever get into the Sonic ball. They just have Sonic running everywhere. Standing up tall. Waiting to get hit and lose his rings.

In Sonic 2 game, you don't just hold right and run. You hold down, spin for a bit, then take off. Every time they ran into an enemy and were all "fuck dis game", they SHOULD have been spinning and they would have killed those enemies no problem. Every time they were shot to the right very fast, if they tapped down, they get into the Sonic ball and going fast kills everything.

(After having looked at the Gaming thread about this, this fact has been brought up, so I'm vindicated)

I feel like had they understood the whole roll mechanic instead of playing Sonic like Mario, they would have had a much different experience.

This is the worst video RLM has put out, and I like RLM. Also, the mentality in this thread that you're either a baby or crazy to like the original Sonic games is just dismissive and shitty.

Why are they asking why Robotnik transforms animals into robots? Of course it's silly. Is that the thing to nitpick? It's a really simple concept. They're WAY overthinking it. The jokes ABOUT IT are funny, but as arguments against the game, it's really lame.

The biggest thing that they missed, especially when PLAYING THE GAME is that Sonic is NOT ABOUT GOING FAST. They were right about Sonic being a marketing tool in a way, but the thing about Sonic that was a marketing tool was the ability to go fast. Going fast wasn't what made the game good. Every time they said the words fast or speed I wanted to stab myself in the brain.

The video is not bad because they are critiquing Sonic. It's bad because they misunderstand the design of the game.

Sonic and speed by Errant Signal is the counter-thesis to this video, and I would recommend giving it a look. It's fine if you disagree with it or me, but it provides some sound reasoning for what Sonic IS, and how Sonic fans and marketing has misrepresented it that I feel RLM missed entirely. Just a far better critique. "If Mario was all about tight, skilled jumps, Sonic was all about the flow of movement and the gain, loss, and control of speed, where going fast was as much a liability as it was a superpower."

Of course, the Errant Signal video is not that popular with Sonic fans, but that's beside the point.

Erigu

Yep, what they have to say about video games is clearly less pertinent and insightful than what they have to say about movies (that being said, I still enjoy watching their videos).

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty sure Pre-Rec is just filler. They obviously know their main content is Half in the Bag, and Best of the Worst. Plinkett Reviews obviously being what people REALLY want, but that shit takes a lot of time. So to me, Pre-Rec is just content to get the site by until they can hit all their other stuff.

I'm okay with that. It seems like even stuff like in Half in the Bag takes a lot of work to do (given their production).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I enjoy Pre-Rec. I find it entertaining enough to hold me over. I like Rich and drawing a blank on baldy's name right now.

The Sonic episode was great. And true.

People taking this all very seriously for a funny video about fucking Sonic of all things.

I wonder, though, do posters on dedicated movie forums get outraged about the film side of things like GAF does about the games?

Myggen

People taking this all very seriously for a funny video about fucking Sonic of all things.

I wonder, though, do posters on dedicated movie forums get outraged about the film side of things like GAF does about the games?

For sure. A lot of fans of pop culture will defend what they like to he fucking death, no matter what kind of pop culture.

Fox318

I still think they are right. For how sonic is ingrained in Video game culture speaks more to his marketing than the quality of his games.

Sonic had great music and imagery but I agree with their criticism of the gameplay.

I also don't think rings as a means of health really encouraged fun. I found it annoying as fuck.

Fox Mulder

it's fine to have criticisms, but calling Sonic the most overrated game is dumb, especially when they obviously suck at it. I'm shitty at and can't get into something like Super Meat Boy or Spelunky, but have seen tons of videos of people being awesome at it, just like you can with Sonic.

Regardless of how the character was created, the original Sonic games were fantastic at the time and nowhere near overrated. They were developed by talented people, looked great, and had amazing music. Dismissing the popularity solely to marketing is lazy and horrible revisionist history.

Sanjuro

it's fine to have criticisms, but calling Sonic the most overrated game is dumb, especially when they obviously suck at it. I'm shitty at and can't get into something like Super Meat Boy or Spelunky, but have seen tons of videos of people being awesome at it, just like you can with Sonic.

Regardless of how the character was created, the original Sonic games were fantastic at the time and nowhere near overrated. They were developed by talented people, looked great, and had amazing music. Dismissing the popularity solely to marketing is lazy and horrible revisionist history.

Who is more overrated? You don't have many choices.

Isn't it? This won't be the first time a MST3K movie has shown up on BOTW. Wonder if they'll mention that Space Mutiny was on MST. They didn't mention it for Santa Claus.
I know Jay has mentioned MST3K when discussing Hobgoblins, so they aren't unaware. But yeah they don't mention anything this time.
They make no mention of MST3K. Kinda weird but it's not like it has the sole right to the films it has riffed, I guess...
yeah. BotW tickles the same part of my brain MST3K did, it sort of fills that same role (at least for me) despite them being very different. Just sort of a strange moment for those who are fans of both.

I know Jay has mentioned MST3K when discussing Hobgoblins, so they aren't unaware. But yeah they don't mention anything this time.yeah. BotW tickles the same part of my brain MST3K did, it sort of fills that same role (at least for me) despite them being very different. Just sort of a strange moment for those who are fans of both.

To a much lesser degree I got the same feeling when they did Yor because of the legacy that film has with Spoony. Knowing him to be a fan of RLM, it must be weird for him to watch.

Fox318

0oPYFJ4.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They mentioned that none of them watch MST3k, or are very familiar with it in one of the live streams.

I don't know why I find this so hard to believe. Given these guys age and their Sci-Fi devotion, it just seems so odd for them not to be fans. There is no reason for them to mention it in their reviews, but it just seems so strange that none of them are fans.

Sanjuro

I don't know why I find this so hard to believe. Given these guys age and their Sci-Fi devotion, it just seems so odd for them not to be fans. There is no reason for them to mention it in their reviews, but it just seems so strange that none of them are fans.

Nobody knows who you are!

I felt this way to. They genuinely might not know/give a shit, or they might just want to avoid talking about it.

Nobody knows who you are!

I felt this way to. They genuinely might not know/give a shit, or they might just want to avoid talking about it.
Yeah, I got lucky and saw MST3K at a friends house when I was younger and have now watched every episode multiple times. Maybe they just missed the boat.

Great episode of BotW. I was listening to the video while mowing my lawn, and when I heard that scene 20 times, I knew Mike was the editor of the episode. (I was proven right!) I'm starting to pick up on Mike and Jay's editing techniques more and more...kinda scary.

On the stream Jay said he was tired because he just watched two movies and shot a discussion about them. So I imagine we can expect a GotG and... something HitB sometime next week.

Or they might not care for the format, seeing as they'd rather watch the movies and riff on them themselves.

Cheerilee

Great episode of BotW. I was listening to the video while mowing my lawn, and when I heard that scene 20 times, I knew Mike was the editor of the episode. (I was proven right!) I'm starting to pick up on Mike and Jay's editing techniques more and more...kinda scary.

The on-screen text right after that scene (Go ahead and count them. I dare you. Assholes.) gave me serious Mr Plinkett vibes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Or they might not care for the format, seeing as they'd rather watch the movies and riff on them themselves.

You're looking at it from a "why wouldn't they like MST3K now" standpoint. What about in the 90s when the show was actually airing and RLM didn't exist? That's what Dr F is talking about, I think.

How was the stream? Who was on and what'd they play?

Josh, Jack, Jessi, Rich, and Jay ( I think he played a few Mario Kart matches?). They were playing just N64 games all night (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Body Harvest, and Dark Rift). Lots of complaining how bad the graphics were, how slow the games were, and how they couldn't find a copy of Star Fox 64 to play. Pretty fun once they got into each game, except Dark Rift that game was awful.

Rich hates the N64

You're looking at it from a "why wouldn't they like MST3K now" standpoint. What about in the 90s when the show was actually airing and RLM didn't exist? That's what Dr F is talking about, I think.

I never watched it until it was already over and on netflix. I don't know. It doesn't really grab me at this point, so I find it easy to understand that they never picked it up.

Listening to the Previously Recored twitch stream is making me laugh at the people discussing mysterious science theater garbage.

btw, the twitch streams are really great podcast-esque material.

Myggen

Josh, Jack, Jessi, Rich, and Jay ( I think he played a few Mario Kart matches?). They were playing just N64 games all night (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Body Harvest, and Dark Rift). Lots of complaining how bad the graphics were, how slow the games were, and how they couldn't find a copy of Star Fox 64 to play. Pretty fun once they got into each game, except Dark Rift that game was awful.

Rich hates the N64

While I love a lot of N64 games, from a technical standpoint that console has aged awfully. So that's an understandable opinion.

Top Bottom