• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
"Guardians of the Galaxy" is the ground breaking film where we watch a young boy named Star-lord grow up before our very eyes..."

I'm surprised at the complaint with Guardians of the Galaxy about the "magic glowing MacGuffin". Especially with Rich, I would think they would know where the films are going with that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They aren't wrong about the film's overall gamble. Still, wish Rich was there to bore them to death.
Marvel has taken a lot of risks. But they haven't half assed it. Look at the relatively unknown heroes in Avengers. The public to large had no idea who Thor and Ironman were before their movies.

I would agree that Guardians is the biggest game gamble so far though.

Marvel has taken a lot of risks. But they haven't half assed it. Look at the relatively unknown heroes in Avengers. The public to large had no idea who Thor and Ironman were before their movies.

I would agree that Guardians is the biggest game gamble so far though.

Marvel may not have half arsed on their strategy but they sure as hell half arsed on film quality. Very little care was taken leading up to Avengers, Thor, CA1 and IM2 were poor but they were marketing beasts, they handled that aspect crazy good. The overall results after Avengers have been good but the build up was rocky from a content vantage point.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They're certainly entitled to their opinion but Boyhood was one of the best theatre experiences I've had. It really resonated with me and everyone in the theatre I saw it with.

Even without the whole "shoot the same kid over 12 years" schtick, it would have been great. The movie had a completely tangible plot, if not one filled with trivialities and unconnected dots. There are movies that I have been annoyed watching because it seemed like they were trying to tell some pseudo pot smoking philosophy as Jay and Mike try to suggest but Boyhood was hardly one of them. It just was what it was.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love that Jay calls Mike out on talking about Parks and Recreation after Mike did the same thing to Jay a few weeks ago when he was talking about Community.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I also think it was funny that they said Boyhood was 'out of touch with today's youth' when on multiple occasions I heard the girls behind me in the theatre and people around me say "omg that's so true" or gasp/grin at some of the long forgotten 00s staples such as DBZ and that skateboard...thing.

A scene where one of Mason's friends gets his head lodged in a saw blade would have been fucking terrible. The scene where he's talking about why he doesn't like/is suspicious about Facebook is realistic as hell. It wasn't an attempt at philosophy on the part of the film, only the character. Everyone I know around my age has had that train of thought and held a similar conversation at one point or another.

from the comment section: Jay definitely would've liked Boyhood more if it focused on Patricia Arquette aging because then it would've been a horror film. lol!

UrbanRats

Definitely the harshest opinion about Boyhood i've heard yet.
I haven't seen the movie, nor any other Linklater movie, so it's hard to put into perspective, but some of Mike's complaints came off as weird, given the description he made of those scenes; he wanted laughably bad melodrama?

I know Mike is a bit of a drama queen, big with hyperboles (he throws "the worst movie i've ever seen!" around a lot) but i'm still surprised at the harshness of their opinion, in contradiction with most of the enthusiastic opinions i've read so far.

Guardians of the Galaxy being a good action movie, instead, doesn't really surprise me.

Myggen

Definitely the harshest opinion about Boyhood i've heard yet.
I haven't seen the movie, nor any other Linklater movie, so it's hard to put into perspective, but some of Mike's complaints came off as weird, given the description he made of those scenes; he wanted laughably bad melodrama?

I know Mike is a bit of a drama queen, big with hyperboles (he throws "the worst movie i've ever seen!" around a lot) but i'm still surprised at the harshness of their opinion, in contradiction with most of the enthusiastic opinions i've read so far.

Guardians of the Galaxy being a good action movie, instead, doesn't really surprise me.

My take from those comments was that he wanted something instead of nothing, even if that was melodrama.

I doubt Boyhood will make its way into movie theatres where I live, but I pretty much hate Linklater's other movies. I think he's a terrible writer, and his direction doesn't do anything for me. Boyhood looks interesting because of the concept, and it must have the highest Metacritic rating for a movie ever. So I'm gonna watch it, but going by past experience I'm probably gonna agree with Jay and Mike.

Almost forgot, Dazed and Confused is alright. Not great, but alright.

Ah man, I hate when they release a new HitB and I haven't seen the movies in question. Any spoiler talk?

I probably won't watch it, anyway. Seeing Guardians on Friday. Boyhood probably won't even be fucking released in this country (Colombia).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ah man, I hate when they release a new HitB and I haven't seen the movies in question. Any spoiler talk?

I probably won't watch it, anyway. Seeing Guardians on Friday. Boyhood probably won't even be fucking released in this country (Colombia).

Nothing in the GotG segment is spoilery. They go into more detail on Boyhood though.

rekameohs

Banned
I've only seen School of Rock and Bernie out of Linklater's films, and I loved them both a lot, so I'm still gonna check out Boyhood despite what HITB says. Still never seen Dazed and Confused or any Before movie.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Daily show had me thinking boyhood was going to be a good movie.

I enjoyed their flip flopping of the descriptions of the movies

"A little boy named... Starlord!"

Fox318

Its nice to know that you can have two different opinions on something and both sides not be wrong.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

So far, Boyhood is literally the best reviewed movie of all time. Redlettermedia seems to be the only review that's even close to mediocre that's been published, even user reviews are averaging high.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So far, Boyhood is literally the best reviewed movie of all time. Redlettermedia seems to be the only review that's even close to mediocre that's been published, even user reviews are averaging high.

yeah, i'll admit not every red letter media review resonates with my own opinion, but they're very similar in my tastes, i think, so i tend to trust them overall.

I'll probably still check it out one day, just because of the concept of the movie.

I hope Rich and Jack know that Twitch is going to start deleting archived broadcasts.

yeah, i just got that email too. hopefully they move all of their stuff to YouTube ASAP.

I feel like some of their broadcasts were already lost, i couldn't find a couple I had been there for in the archive.

jett

D-Member
That first half was the worst half in a half in the bag episode in the history of half in the bag episodes. Seriously, I felt like Rich, completely uninterested in what was going on. :p

TMNT review was surprisingly sensible and not the hate-fest I expected, mostly due to Mike not hating it, and Rich not saying much, since he's the only one that truly loathed it. Rich is a bro for bringing up the current cartoon and how it provides a well written and though-out origin to the turtles instead of the abject mess that is in this movie.

Mike's intro to Into the Storm was great lol

"Can they chew with their mouths closed for christ sake? Shit, it's louder than the movie. And this is a movie about loud ass tornadoes."

B33

Banned
During the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles section, I love that Rich Evans
is the first one to start eating the pizza.

Forsete

Someone at RLM is obviously drunk. Just got spammed with 10 emails from Patreon with the same message about Half in the bag. :p

Top Bottom