• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red meat triggers toxic immune reaction which causes cancer, scientists find

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...tion-which-causes-cancer-scientists-find.html

Red meat has been linked to cancer for decades, with research suggesting that eating large amounts of pork, beef or lamb raises the risk of deadly tumours.

But for the first time scientists think they know what is causing the effect. The body, it seems, views red meat as a foreign invader and sparks a toxic immune response.

Researchers have always been puzzled about how other mammals could eat a diet high in red meat without any adverse health consequences.

Now they have discovered that pork, beef and lamb contains a sugar which is naturally produced by other carnivores but not humans.

It means that when humans eat red meat, the body triggers an immune response to the foreign sugar, producing antibodies which spark inflammation, and eventually cancer.

In other carnivores the immune system does not kick in, because the sugar – called Neu5Gc – is already in the body.

Humidex

Bite me, scientists!

Felicitys-perfect-bacon-s-007.jpg

Pachinko

Everything will kill you somehow , even the air you breath will lead to cellular decay.

Living causes death.

But I suppose this is finally a decent reason to perhaps not indulge in eating a 37 ounce steak 5 times a week.

The Cowboy

I swear one day scientists will say air gives you cancer, it really does seem nowadays like everything gives you it according to some of them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I swear, one day scientist will say air gives you cancer, it really does seem nowadays like everything gives you it.

It actually does depending on the environment you are breathing it in.

edit: FUCK. This is like the 5th time today I'm beaten by a post saying the same thing. Done with GAF today.

Amir0x

Banned
haha I hate red meat and most meat in general. Not a vegetarian, just don't like the way most meat tastes.

Success!

The Adder

Banned
Stopped eating mammals in 2007. This is nothing but good news for me, as once they identify what DOESN'T produce these sugars I can put those animals back on my list.

I always knew lamb was the devil's food. GAF would never hear it though.

Most red meat is disgusting tho. Is it really hard to replace everything with delicious, delicious chicken? ^_^

Martian

Everything will kill you somehow , even the air you breath will lead to cellular decay.

Living causes death.

But I suppose this is finally a decent reason to perhaps not indulge in eating a 37 ounce steak 5 times a week.

This.

If you actually read the first sentence it says its nothing new. Just act like a sensible human being and eat moderately.

Don't care everything will kill you or give you cancers nowadays anyway.

Next week there will be a study proving looking at clouds gives you increased risk of eye cancer.

I love me some red meat, but I've been trying to be healthier. More chicken in my future. Preferably raised in tight little cages and injected with hormones to make them even more delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom