• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red meat triggers toxic immune reaction which causes cancer, scientists find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even breathing will give you cancer at this point.

Well, yeah . . . but that is because we extract, refine, and burn too much coal and oil thus releasing all sorts of toxic shit like benzene, mercury, lead, arsenic, ozone, SO2, etc. We should stop doing THAT . . . the breathing is hard to stop.

The only reason why mercury in fish is such a problem is because of coal plants.

Merc_

m8dDI23.gif

Azulsky

Plants are not any better.

So many chemicals in plants cause inflammation because plants have spent millions of years developing natural pesticides. Caffeine being a prime example of a plant inflammatory.

Wouldn't your body just store the antibodies from the first time you had red meat, then? Unless it's some mutating sugar like a god damn virus

devilhawk

If it was this simple, and it certainly isn't, they could just knockout N-glycolylneuraminic acid in livestock. I wonder if there would be any difference in taste?

BobLoblaw

Banned
If this is the case, then I'm in the clear. If they ever have a study that shows turkey, chicken, or fish causes the same thing then I'm fucked.

Sure, I read this after I have the corned beef sandwich for lunch.

Of course, the next step is to genetically modify the animals we eat for food to not produce this sugar. And the next step after that is to laugh at the Euros that refuse to import it. Revenge of Fat America.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if i stick to what scientists and other report i may aswell just eat the grass outside lol

basically shut the fuck up and everything we eat is shit but at the end of day we have to

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Even the study itself says more research needs to be done regarding humans, it's just a logical extrapolation. I wouldn't let this put you off from eating a steak now and then, and I certainly wouldn't treat it as a justification of vegetarian/vegan lifestyles (tons of plants have similar links to cancer), especially since I know several people in their 80s who eat red meat every damn day. Cancer just isn't that simple, no matter how much we'd like to find the "do/don't do X and you'll live forever!" magic bullet.

Plants are not any better.

So many chemicals in plants cause inflammation because plants have spent millions of years developing natural pesticides. Caffeine being a prime example of a plant inflammatory.
Plants and fish are totally better in reducing cancer risk, according to the research. Everything that is available always skews towards plants and fish. Best case scenario, red meat is no worse (but never, ever, better). Keep praying for the best case scenario.

As interesting as all this is just think if we're discovering new things about foods we've eaten for millennia the idea that we don't need to worry about the effects of additives and foods newly created in labs seems absolutely insane.

I will take this toxic sugar in red meat any day over processed foods with dozens of additives and stabilizers created by food science.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't care. No point in living a long life if you're not enjoying it to its fullest.

JC Lately

So does the sun. But I don’t stay inside all day. Just most of it.

Something, something, moderation.

All though now that we know about this ‘Neu5Gc’, the question becomes: How do we get rid of it so we can consume red meat with relative impunity?

Get to work, scientists. You have 184 days till July 4th.

devilhawk

I'm curious what is the relation between inflammation and cancer? They might appear together but why?
Inflammation is an immune response that brings a lot of cells that promote angiogenesis or blood vessel growth. Angiogenesis is also important in cancer for promoting metastasis.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Next week they will have an article disproving it, the week after someone proving it.

Either way, I don't give a shit. Give me a steak.

Interfectum

If you are going to eat red meat just do things to fight inflammation in the body.

Eat less sugar, take a daily aspirin, season shit with turmeric, eat more fish (salmon is great) and get plenty of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom