• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydranockz said:
Played against Shake three times in a row. Thanks Bungie :p BlueBlur was there too for a round?
Nah, Blueblur's gamertag isn't Blueblur.

Those were good games. Or the first two were, anyway. That third game was horrible. Straight away that one guy betrayed my friend for the banshee, they got in a fight, my friend got booted. Then the same guy betrayed me for sniper. Then he betrayed my other friend for another banshee, and my other friend ended up getting booted. Then the guy doing all the betraying went and quit. So now it's me and two strangers against an organized team of six who have all the weapons and this one guy who has kept finding new banshees all game. :lol

By the end I was just about ready to lay my controller down.

aesop

oddworld18 said:
The casual hardcore people (like myself) who could never really get out of the level 35ish ghettos in halo 3 but loved the game for what it was (especially BTB) are now seeing wildly inconsistent results and punishing trueskill matches. I swear to god, in my few hours in the DLC hopper on Tuesday I got reamed/was reaming so hard in pretty much alternating games. It was like big team social all over again.

When's the last time you went back and looked at your Halo 3 games history? I think it's time to take off your rose colored glasses.

For example:

Team BRs - Your team wins 50-39.
The very next game of Team BRs - Your team loses 50-35.
Two Days Later - You lose 50-20
And the next game - You lose 50-42 (this one had a quitter, but your team still did pretty well)

Seems pretty inconsistent to me. And mind you, these are all in ranked playlists (and in April of this year, so I think trueskill has had it's chance to work).

If you prefer the gameplay, that's one thing and I can respect that. But it seems a large portion of the folks in here who want to hold Halo 3 on high as the pinnacle of Bungie's multiplayer efforts are blinded by nostalgia.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh right new Arena. I'll be switching to Sprint now in preparation for the MLG playlist.

More DLC playlist for a while though.

Shake Appeal said:
Nah, Blueblur's gamertag isn't Blueblur.

Those were good games. Or the first two were, anyway. That third game was horrible. Straight away that one guy betrayed my friend for the banshee, they got in a fight, my friend got booted. Then the same guy betrayed me for sniper. Then he betrayed my other friend for another banshee, and my other friend ended up getting booted. Then the guy doing all the betraying went and quit. So now it's me and two strangers against an organized team of six who have all the weapons and this one guy who has kept finding new banshees all game. :lol

By the end I was just about ready to lay my controller down.
I got royally rolled in that first round haha. The first two rounds were pretty sweet in that regard. I hope you can now see why I was rolling with a group of 4, as cute as it was, it was that many less randoms on our team :p

Watching some films, I noticed my shot is always a hair too late, I'm thinking it might be in part because of the response time on my LCD TV. I can't find a game mode, so I guess I'm going to go grab a VGA cable and see if it improves. I'll still probably suck after I make the cahnge, just hopefully I can suck a little less.

I am so much worse at Reach than I am at Halo 3. I guess the Less skill arguments don't realy click with me, since I play Reach like h3, and I can't win a DMR dual to save my live. I try to slow my fire down, I try to speed it up, but no matter what I do, I just get donged on. Everyone else has gotten good, I've just gotten worse it seems.

In the arena I managed to pull a top 10% in bronze during the beta. First qualification in the retail version and I'm sitting in Iron. Goddamn, I need to suck less.

Gui_PT

ShinAmano said:
We I don't know how many times I post my tag here but I only have about 5 of you bastards on my friends list. I swear I don't suck :lol

Problem is I'm probably not on when you're playing. But I can add you if you're still interested.

aesop said:
When's the last time you went back and looked at your Halo 3 games history? I think it's time to take off your rose colored glasses.

For example:

Team BRs - Your team wins 50-39.
The very next game of Team BRs - Your team loses 50-35.
Two Days Later - You lose 50-20
And the next game - You lose 50-42 (this one had a quitter, but your team still did pretty well)

Oh I was terrible at Halo 3, especially recently. That string of games was probably after a few months break from the game, just based on the timeframe (Mass Effect 2 and WoW devoured my winter). I was wildly inconsistent then - actually I'm probably more consistent now, all things considered. But I still don't get a thrill out of it. Maybe I'm just getting old.

edit: basically what electricpirate said.

ShinAmano

Gui_PT said:
Problem is I'm probably not on when you're playing. But I can add you if you're still interested.
Gotcha...yeah I play usually after 7pm est m-t and sometimes on the weekend. But yeah ShinAmano and I am always up for pretty much any game type.

Gui_PT said:
I can't play this game with randoms anymore
I don't know how you ever did.
I foolishly decided to play a match with randoms while waiting for the group to finish their game last night.
3 players quit, 1 guy was on 0 for half the match and the remaining player was actually quite good.

God it was frustrating.

ShinAmano

Also funny story from last nights games...my buddies 360 RROD while we were getting into our second game...did that stop him? No...he was back in 40 minutes after picking up a new 360. :lol

Tashi

Dax01 said:
I think I've played enough of Tempest to know that it's the best map in Reach.

You haven't played enough.

edit: I'm about to get on and play some DLC playlist. Message me if you wanna play.

Gui_PT

ShinAmano said:
Gotcha...yeah I play usually after 7pm est m-t and sometimes on the weekend. But yeah ShinAmano and I am always up for pretty much any game type.

Yeah, I'll add you ;)

Zeouterlimits said:
I don't know how you ever did.
I foolishly decided to play a match with randoms while waiting for the group to finish their game last night.
3 players quit, 1 guy was on 0 for half the match and the remaining player was actually quite good.

God it was frustrating.

I get that a lot. We really need to party up more often.

Btw, I just got an awesome Extermination on Breakpoint. Could someone be kind enough to render this baby for me? 3 of those guys quit after I did that :lol

Extermination

Arnie

Dax01 said:
I think I've played enough of Tempest to know that it's the best map in Reach.
Agreed.

So we have Tempest as the best. The Cage as the worst. We need to negotiate that middle section.

Yeah, Tempest as best and The Cage as worst definitely seems to be the GAF consensus, at least.

Still can't believe the same person made The Cage and Lockout.

Louis Wu

Mojo said:
When I tried on Spire that was BTB Slayer, so it wasn't that at least. And I'm sure that was a longer distance to what I did on Paridiso.
You sure it wasn't Invasion Slayer (which is an Invasion variant, not a Slayer variant)?

Gui_PT said:
Btw, I just got an awesome Extermination on Breakpoint. Could someone be kind enough to render this baby for me? 3 of those guys quit after I did that :lol

Extermination
I TOTALLY don't understand how this is an extermination.
exterm.jpg

You didn't get an Overkill, which requires 4 kills within 4 seconds. (Your first kill happened at 24.5 seconds in, while the last one didn't start until after 31 seconds in.)

(Editing to point out that the exterm was pretty awesome, all by itself; I'm not griping or anything that you got it, I think it was fantastic series of kills. I simply don't understand why it's an Exterm.)

Tashi0106 said:
You haven't played enough.

edit: I'm about to get on and play some DLC playlist. Message me if you wanna play.
No, I think I have. If you don't think Tempest is the best map you're probably going to be in the minority. I hadn't realized it before Tempest, but when I'm on that map, I'm actually feel like I'm playing Reach's multiplayer. I think it's because I'm playing on a good map that was actually designed for multiplayer, not some messed up child of campaign and multiplayer designs.

Edit: A bit off-topic, but is anyone else having trouble with the latest version of Firefox 4 and Microsoft Silver light? I've downloaded the latest version of Silverlight twice, but when I look at a video on Bnet, it says I still haven't downloaded it yet. :/

Arnie

Gui_PT said:
Nice Gui, that flank with Evade was some ninja shit.
Dax01 said:
I hadn't realized it before Tempest, but when I'm on that map, I'm actually feel like I'm playing Reach's multiplayer. I think it's because I'm playing on a good map that was actually designed for multiplayer, not some messed up child of campaign and multiplayer designs.

Some brilliant stuff emanating from Dax today. To add, I get that feeling when playing Anchor 9 too. That feeling that I said I didn't get with Reach (of wanting to go back and play day after day) I'm finally getting with the Noble Map Pack.

Gui_PT

Thanks guys :D

Except for you Wu. I ain't gonna thank you!

Srsly now. Triple Kill medal came in at 26s. I killed the last guy at 30. What's the dealio?

Edit: I'm kidding btw, I get what you're saying

Tashi

Dax01 said:
No, I think I have. If you don't think Tempest is the best map you're probably going to be in the minority. I hadn't realized it before Tempest, but when I'm on that map, I'm actually feel like I'm playing Reach's multiplayer. I think it's because I'm playing on a good map that was actually designed for multiplayer, not some messed up child of campaign and multiplayer designs.

The maps just came out and you're ready to call it the best in the game. That doesn't sound like you're jumping the gun a little? I'm not saying that it can't be the best, because I like it along with all the other maps but I gotta give it waaaaaaaaaay more time before I'm ready to declare something like that.

Tashi0106 said:
The maps just came out and you're ready to call it the best in the game. That doesn't sound like you're jumping the gun a little? I'm not saying that it can't be the best, because I like it along with all the other maps but I gotta give it waaaaaaaaaay more time before I'm ready to declare something like that.
It's not like other people here haven't done the same. I feel like I have put in enough games to call it the best map in Reach. It's like a mini-Valhalla. I love it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:

I'm with Tashi on this, wait and see. I've enjoyed every game I've played on the new maps - Tempest is particularly full of win but I'll wait and see how it pans out.

I hated Countdown initially and it eventually became one of my favourite maps and I loved Paradiso for a few weeks before I soured on it.

Regardless, seriously <3ing the Map Pack so far. Bungie knocked it out of the park yet again.

Wizman23

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

I agree 100% with what Dax said. I hope Bungie realizes now that the whole Campaign/ MP/ Firefight using the same spaces was one of the dumbest decisions they have ever made. If the maps at launch were half as good as the 3 new ones Reach would be a GOTY contender. Can't wait to hear about the next map pack already

Pete Rock

Louis Wu said:
Don't ask me why - but I just got the overwhelming urge to make this:
I don't know about the trade in value of methane in regards to the others, but I'm sure the unggoy had that written into the covenant contract somewhere :lol

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
FWIW, I read those kinds of opinions as being of the first impresison variety. It's fair as far as first impressions go. I felt that The Cage was terrible the first game I had on it, and Tempest was wonderful and the best BTB map by far on the current set. My opinion may shift over time, but that's where it is now. It's definately too early to cement views on any of the new maps.

Edit: snap, I'll post the new thread in just a few minutes.

ShinAmano

Dax01 said:
It's not like other people here haven't done the same. I feel like I have put in enough games to call it the best map in Reach. It's like a mini-Valhalla. I love it.
It does give the mini Valhalla feel...makes me miss Valhalla. :(

Wizman23 said:
I agree 100% with what Dax said. I hope Bungie realizes now that the whole Campaign/ MP/ Firefight using the same spaces was one of the dumbest decisions they have ever made. If the maps at launch were half as good as the 3 new ones Reach would be a GOTY contender. Can't wait to hear about the next map pack already
Marcus Lehto said in the Legendary commentary that if they had to go back and do it all over again, they wouldn't try to make multiplayer spaces were in campaign (and vice versa).

Tashi

Dax01 said:

I'm not singling you out, sorry if I'm coming off that way. I'm seeing people make the same statements you are. I do think it's more wise to wait and see.

Also, it plays pretty differently from Valhalla from what I've played. I've only played Slayer and Snipers on it but I'm waiting to do some objective. (Just got 1 bomb in matchmaking as I'm typing this) It's more circular than Valhalla and movement seems to be less directing towards 1 side. I'm moving around everywhere on the map.

Also, Sniper pro, has the movement speed been increased? It feels like it.

Dirtbag

Dax01 said:
Marcus Lehto said in the Legendary commentary that if they had to go back and do it all over again, they wouldn't try to make multiplayer spaces were in campaign (and vice versa).

I think firefight spaces in Campaign would have been acceptable given their intended uses, but typical MP maps in Campaign didn't work for me.

Louis Wu said:
You sure it wasn't Invasion Slayer (which is an Invasion variant, not a Slayer variant)?

I TOTALLY don't understand how this is an extermination.
exterm.jpg

You didn't get an Overkill, which requires 4 kills within 4 seconds. (Your first kill happened at 24.5 seconds in, while the last one didn't start until after 31 seconds in.)

(Editing to point out that the exterm was pretty awesome, all by itself; I'm not griping or anything that you got it, I think it was fantastic series of kills. I simply don't understand why it's an Exterm.)

Yea, I don't think the overkill thing counts a all. I got an exterm (my first!) in an assault game with two double kills. The second set of which Came from the bomb blowing up, and me having done just enough damage to get credit for their kills.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:
I think firefight spaces in Campaign would have been acceptable given their intended uses, but typical MP maps in Campaign didn't work for me.
Also, Lars said at the PAX panel that Firefight spaces were carved out from Campaign, since they were already set up for AI battles, not built for FF and injected into campaign. Probably due to resource/space issues, and how the AI already had pathfinding on them which could be tweaked for the FF setups. We basically play on Campaign spaces in FF, which I think works just fine. One or two aside, I think it's a great set of maps.

The cost/benefit for MP spaces is different, of course.
Tashi0106 said:
Also, wtf is with this stuff coming out about how the maps were built with campaign in mind or even that the maps were taken straight out of campaign?! I thought all along they were saying that the maps were multiplayer first and designed like they had been for the previous Halo games and the campaign guys took them and shoe horned them into campaign.
Correct, with the exception of Boneyard, which was a Campaign space pulled out to use for Invasion.

Tashi

Also, wtf is with this stuff coming out about how the maps were built with campaign in mind or even that the maps were taken straight out of campaign?! I thought all along they were saying that the maps were multiplayer first and designed like they had been for the previous Halo games and the campaign guys took them and shoe horned them into campaign.

Tashi0106 said:
This. That's was it clarified as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom