• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Dirtbag said:
I love how a day or two after release everything is all roses and hearts on the new maps.
I'll be real curious to see what people really think about breakpoint in a few weeks.
I personally think its a pretty shitty map but then again I already think invasion is pretty garbo. So any map built with invasion in mind is going to be trash for me anyway. I think breakpoint really points out some of the other weaker points of the game besides armor lock. Like just how ridiculously accurate an unbloomed DMR is, and how it rapes ground movement on breakpoint. Or how weaksauce the warthog is, and just how innefective a jetpack renders a wraith. While armor lock seems to be a poor choice over the jetpack here, an armor lock negated splatter is still just as frustrating as ever and seems to be the only reason to choose AL on the map. Breakpoint is basically a giant version of Rat's nest with even less structure. It reminds me of the bastard love child of Avalanche and Rat's Nest.

Reach killed BTB, and vehicle combat sucks balls now. There I said it.

Well said, like I said months ago, the DMR/NR's range and accuracy completely destroy BTB. Throw in the fact that DMRs can rip vehicles apart and you have a said excuse of a game mode. That said, I think Breakpoint is a lot better than both Spire and Boneyard, but still, it's never going to be great in my mind for the simple fact of how the game's mechanics work with more people in the game.

Ughh Bungies been catering to casuals more and more each Halo. Nothing new. Its hard for them to balance making their game awesome and making it so everyone and their sisters are able to play it.

They just should have left the options for the good kids in the game so we could play it forever, cause my sister moved onto the next Hello Kitty.

Halo 2 was my favorite probably cause I never played Halo 1. I like Halo 2 simply because I could depend on myself to be great. I knew if the game was of decent connection I could grab a 4 shot kill if I nailed 4 head shots. This let me put my emphasis on speed and aim, two of the major skills required for an FPS that each lose importance each iteration of this series.

Halo 3 added randomness to my BR to an absurd extent.

Halo Reach fixed this with hitscan and better net code but added bloom.

Two steps forward, one back.

Additionally, you can see this in the complete domination of the MLG season by Final Boss in H2, yet H3 questionably had no dynasty because it was so even fielded every team could break out during one event, the skill gap between all the top teams was so very small, while clearly Final Boss dominated Halo 2 consistently. You could argue it was because MLG was in its early days but I still think thats only part the reason.

Ramirez

Shake Appeal said:
But it was true! It was harder to dominate individually against worse players in Halo 3 than it was in Halo 2. The Halo 3 BR was pretty sappy compared to the H2 BR, for one thing. And the H3 sniper was slower and clumsier than H2's, and you couldn't swipe-snipe with it the same way. There were plenty of other changes that levelled the field and made it less likely one or two players who could aim really well would dominate. In general, Bungie are slowly but steadily making it trickier for one player to kill another in their games, and especially hard to kill a second person immediately afterwards, and then a third, a fourth...

Reach is just the next step in making the individual player feel less potent. And most people don't want to feel less potent, they want to dong.

(There are obviously a few people like Ramirez who both dong and don't like Reach, I'm just saying that a lot of people have already moved on from Halo because it makes you feel like less of a superstar, minute to minute, than other shooters on the market.)

ohgosh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shake Appeal said:
But it was true! It was harder to dominate individually against worse players in Halo 3 than it was in Halo 2. The Halo 3 BR was pretty sappy compared to the H2 BR, for one thing. And the H3 sniper was slower and clumsier than H2's, and you couldn't swipe-snipe with it the same way. There were plenty of other changes that levelled the field and made it less likely one or two players who could aim really well would dominate. In general, Bungie are slowly but steadily making it trickier for one player to kill another in their games, and especially hard to kill a second person immediately afterwards, and then a third, a fourth...

Reach is just the next step in making the individual player feel less potent. And most people don't want to feel less potent, they want to dong.

(There are obviously a few people like Ramirez who both dong and don't like Reach, I'm just saying that a lot of people have already moved on from Halo because it makes you feel like less of a superstar, minute to minute, than other shooters on the market.)
Trickier is one thing, but swipe-sniping and quickscoping go in the same bucket for me as far as bullshit video game mechanics go. God forbid someone ask you to snipe with the sniper. You do make a good point about Bungie making it tougher to kill people though, even though I don't think it's intentional.

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh Bungies been catering to casuals more and more each Halo. Nothing new. Its hard for them to balance making their game awesome and making it so everyone and their sisters are able to play it.

They just should have left the options for the good kids in the game so we could play it forever, cause my sister moved onto the next Hello Kitty.

Halo 2 was my favorite probably cause I never played Halo 1. I like Halo 2 simply because I could depend on myself to be great. I knew if the game was of decent connection I could grab a 4 shot kill if I nailed 4 head shots. This let me put my emphasis on speed and aim, two of the major skills required for an FPS that each lose importance each iteration of this series.

Halo 3 added randomness to my BR to an absurd extent.

Halo Reach fixed this with hitscan and better net code but added bloom.

Two steps forward, one back.

Additionally, you can see this in the complete domination of the MLG season by Final Boss in H2, yet H3 questionably had no dynasty because it was so even fielded every team could break out during one event, the skill gap between all the top teams was so very small, while clearly Final Boss dominated Halo 2 consistently. You could argue it was because MLG was in its early days but I still think thats only part the reason.
But doesn't bloom pretty much require you to pretty much combine speed and aim and rhythm to combat retarded spam-fests?

enzo_gt said:
But doesn't bloom pretty much require you to pretty much combine speed and aim and rhythm to combat retarded spam-fests?

No, not really. It removes speed from the equation and forces you to shoot at a slower pace that less skilled players can aim and think at.

Yeah I feel since Halo 2, they have slowly narrowed the gap between the skilled and the not so skilled. In Halo 3 I got destroyed by a lot of 50s(I was low 40s) but in Reach I've yet to encounter a single player who I thought was a lot better than me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
xxjuicesxx said:
No, not really. It removes speed from the equation and forces you to shoot at a slower pace that less skilled players can aim and think at.
You imply there is some sort of quick thinking involved in keeping your reticule on someone's head in a BR battle that isn't the same as you keeping your reticule on someone's head in a DMR battle. There isn't. At most, it gives someone in a DMR battle more time to escape, which is another valid point, but a separate one.

Hey You

Firefight Versus: A Message From Designer Lars Bakken
Hey Everyone,
By Now you've seen the first of our Grab Bag playlists is up and it's Firefight Versus. It's a slightly modified version of the gametype that shipped on the disc. We wanted to try and make it a little more Matchmaking friendly. Much like everything in Matchmaking, however, it's a work in progress. If people are into it, we'll update it and attempt to work out the kinks. If it dies in a fiery death, then so be it. Let us know if you like it, or if you find issues. We're here for you...seriously.

Let's go over the rules:
It's a game of 2v2. You'll play as both Spartans and Elites and take turns playing each side twice. You have limited lives, but each turn lasts until either 3 minutes are up or One Wave of AI is killed. Spartans score points for killing things, Elites do not.

What's going on here? As an Elite I'm getting slaughtered! Well, to put it delicately; you're doing it wrong. The Spartans are heavily outnumbered, so we gave them a 2x Overshield and a Damage Modifier increase to even the odds. Because of this, you want to make yourself a little more scarce when on the Covenant side. Be nimble, be sneaky, just try to mess with the Spartan's heads. If you're going in guns blazing as an Elite, you're going to get destroyed. Stock close to your Elite buddy, and use the AI to blend in.

Hope you guys enjoy this playlist, and definitely give us feedback. Enjoy!

Doesn't make me enjoy the playlist anymore. Its still way too easy for the Spartans to win, just kill all the AI Covenant really fast. Especially easy if its VS Grunts.

Arnie

I dong at Reach and think it's the worst Halo multiplayer in the franchise.

Say what you want about Halo 3s BR but I'd take it over any weapon in Reach. Even the Sniper has been dumbed down to a ridiculous extent.

Saying that, I'm having fun with these new maps although once that runs out it's back to other games.

I can't wait for the 343's Halo just so we can get a proper sequel multiplayer-wise, one that isn't a side project which removes all of the mechanics I've enjoyed over the past 6 years.

Alienshogun said:
I like that it's harder to dominate multiple people at once in Reach, makes it that much more rewarding when you get multikills.
Not really. When you dominated multiple people in previous games it was down to skill, now it's down to luck. I don't find that more rewarding. You have to be playing the absolute dregs of the Earth to out DMR multiple opponents like you could BR people in previous games. The movement and bloom make sure of that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey You said:

Doesn't make me enjoy the playlist anymore. Its still way too easy for the Spartans to win, just kill all the AI Covenant really fast. Especially easy if its VS Grunts.

I don't think they are supposed to lose, it's just who scores higher.

Arnie said:
Not really. When you dominated multiple people in previous games it was down to skill, now it's down to luck. I don't find that more rewarding. You have to be playing the absolute dregs of the Earth to out DMR multiple opponents like you could BR people in previous games. The movement and bloom make sure of that.

You act as if luck was never a factor in Halo 3 and luck is ALWAYS a factor in Reach, which is simply untrue.

MrBig

This game makes me so exceedingly frustrated when I'm not playing with friends, yet I just past the amount of games it took me 3 years of Halo 3 to play.
I think the problem is nobody plays customs anymore. In H3 I could always find a game going on to join in on, whether it be a casual gametype or something competitive. The only customs I've played in Reach is Gaf customs and another forum's customs.
e: Am I going to have to look for OT3 tomorrow?

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
You act as if luck was never a factor in Halo 3 and luck is ALWAYS a factor in Reach, which is simply untrue.
No I don't, I just assume I'm speaking to someone who's capable of reading between the lines. Obviously not. I'll dumb it down for you, like Reach ironically:

Reach requires much less skill than Halo 2 or 3 to be competent at, to get a multi kill in Reach it requires much more luck than in previous games because your skill can only do so much when you're hamstrung by bloom and a constricted movement speed.

Better?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
No I don't, I just assume I'm speaking to someone who's capable of reading between the lines. Obviously not. I'll dumb it down for you, like Reach ironically:

Reach requires much less skill than Halo 2 or 3 to be competent at, to get a multi kill in Reach it requires much more luck than in previous games because your skill can only do so much when you're hamstrung by bloom and a constricted movement speed.

Better?

Oh, I understand you, I just think your observations are absurd, and I find your defensiveness cute.

Just because you don't like a game mechanic doesn't mean the game takes less skill. It just makes it require different skill. Even though bloom adds randomness to the game a skilled player will still be better than a less skilled player.

Your skill in Reach will still show, while it CAN be more random at times, a more skilled player will still at the end of the day be a better player, and their stats will show, multi kills and all.

I won't stoop to your level, but I will say perhaps you should step away form the keyboard and take a deep breath.

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
Oh, I understand you, I just think your observations are absurd, and I find your defensiveness cute.

Just because you don't like a game mechanic doesn't mean the game takes less skill. It just makes it require different skill. Even though bloom adds randomness to the game a skilled player will still be better than a less skilled player.

Your skill in Reach will still show, while it CAN be more random at times, a more skilled player will still at the end of the day be a better player, and their stats will show, multi kills and all.

I won't stoop to your level, but I will say perhaps you should step away form the keyboard and take a deep breath.
:lol

I'm trying to breath, I really am.

It seems my point went way over your head.. I never even intimated that skill didn't matter in Reach, but once again you seem to have missed some crucial information. In fact, your reply has nothing to do with my actual statement, regardless of whether I like the bloom mechanic or not, how does slowing the combat down not take less skill? A few fellow Halo Gaffers seem to be on the same page as me, but I would honestly like to know the answer to that question.

What's absurd about saying multi-kills are less reliant on skill because of the increasing bloom factor the longer you persist firing your weapon added to the restricted mobility?

Striker

Arnie said:
I find five-shotting guys with the Pistol immensely satisfying. Of course, it's all subjective. You can boil down and say it's luck if you get a multi-kill with a DMR, Needle Rifle, or whatnot, but in my mind, it isn't any less different than Halo 3 in many ways. Halo 3 BR's spread was fluctuated due to host. The hit detection was also inconsistent.

pakkit

Banned
Bloom is being overemphasized in criticisms. It's a more visual component now, but the reticle in the DMR let's you know the exact pacing and you can throw in crouch shooting to really improve your aiming.

Sure, there are those days where the tiniest bit of bloom will keep me away from those headshots, but there are other days where Reach just clicks, and those moments are the ones I play for.

I think the randomness is one aspect that keeps me coming back, but will eventually burn me out. I played the hell out of Mario Kart Wii because there was always this insane element of randomness that made it impossible to sit tight. At the same time, the thing I loved most about Halo CE was the pro community and how they played in a completely separate way than the regular community (i.e. pistols and sniper rifles), that really opened up the game and made competitions much more skill base.

Arnie

Striker said:
I find five-shotting guys with the Pistol immensely satisfying. Of course, it's all subjective. You can boil down and say it's luck if you get a multi-kill with a DMR, Needle Rifle, or whatnot, but in my mind, it isn't any less different than Halo 3 in many ways. Halo 3 BR's spread was fluctuated due to host. The hit detection was also inconsistent.
Oh as do I, my assertion that Reach is inferior to the previous multiplayer Halos doesn't mean I think it isn't fun, when I get a 5 shot pistol kill or similarly the DMR equivalent I feel good, and I'm rewarded for my skill.

However, when I get a perfect kill with a weapon, well timed bloom and all, there's always the chance that an opponent could not time their shots but still kill me through the random element of the bloom, it is these moments that I despair. Also, my point about multi kills remains, even if I do get a 5 shot on an opponent, if somebody else is in the fight, by the time I've perfectly waited for the optimum amount of bloom he has already received a major upper-hand in combat. This was also present in previous Halos with the fixed fire rate, but the advanced mobility and the complete reliance on aiming ability meant that even at such a stage, a fight was never over. I get that feeling more often when playing Reach, and it doesn't feel like I could do any different.

MMaRsu

Let's hope the matchmaking is up to snuff so that it puts me with other people who have the mappack. I'm a big big fan of FFA so Rumble Pit is my playlist of choice. I need to see the new maps in that playlist soon :).

Striker

MMaRsu said:
Let's hope the matchmaking is up to snuff so that it puts me with other people who have the mappack. I'm a big big fan of FFA so Rumble Pit is my playlist of choice. I need to see the new maps in that playlist soon :).
I think they are adjusting Rumble Pit next in their playlist overhaul, like they did for Team Slayer.

Hopefully they go in and fix up Team Objective and BTB as well. For Big Team, there's too far less skirmish variants and too much slayer oriented. No reason there should be regular Slayer, Snipers, Elite Slayer, and Headhunter all included. There's a serious lack of Assault and regular CTF seems to only come up half the team.

MMaRsu said:

Sorry I didn't match up with you earlier-- I was on a roll in arena.

I'm really liking new season of arena (so far) without Armor Lock and with 1-grenade starts. Cuts down on the grenade spam and allows alot more interesting gunfights to show.

I also played a game of reflection, which used the entire map. I was in awe
The game was pretty good too

Ghaleon, are there weapon maps (like the ones for the Noble maps) for the rest of the maps? I still haven't memorized alot of the pickups.

Ramirez

pakkit said:
Bloom is being overemphasized in criticisms. It's a more visual component now, but the reticle in the DMR let's you know the exact pacing and you can throw in crouch shooting to really improve your aiming.

Sure, there are those days where the tiniest bit of bloom will keep me away from those headshots, but there are other days where Reach just clicks, and those moments are the ones I play for.

I think the randomness is one aspect that keeps me coming back, but will eventually burn me out. I played the hell out of Mario Kart Wii because there was always this insane element of randomness that made it impossible to sit tight. At the same time, the thing I loved most about Halo CE was the pro community and how they played in a completely separate way than the regular community (i.e. pistols and sniper rifles), that really opened up the game and made competitions much more skill base.

That was so cool in past Halo's, oh wait.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:

Killing a couple of Elites is worth killing almost all of the Covenant AI. So if one team exterminates the AI quickly, ignoring or avoiding the Elites, and the other team focuses on killing the Elites, it's the second team that wins.

Bluescrote: I don't remember seeing any, other than for the Beta.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:

It seems my point went way over your head.. I never even intimated that skill didn't matter in Reach, but once again you seem to have missed some crucial information. In fact, your reply has nothing to do with my actual statement, regardless of whether I like the bloom mechanic or not, how does slowing the combat down not take less skill? A few fellow Halo Gaffers seem to be on the same page as me, but I would honestly like to know the answer to that question.

What's absurd about saying multi-kills are less reliant on skill because of the increasing bloom factor the longer you persist firing your weapon added to the restricted mobility?

You're a classic example of a when someone who doesn't like your view point, or does/says something you yourself do not understand a you act as if opposing view doesn't 'get it', or isn't intelligent. I would re-explain myself, but I predict I would just end up saying the same thing over again, which I did indeed already explain myself, and completely understood your asinine point of view. You're wasting my time, and rather than stoop to your level and subject HaloGAF to a series of meaningless posts I'll just ignore you.

Kuroyume said:
This is going to sound weird but it feels like it's much easier to kill and be killed on Anchor 9. Anyone else notice this?

I haven't played the map a ton, but the mixture of wide open areas (with little line of sight breaks) and tight in your face turns may have something to do with that.

One thing I did notice, people in space can't hear people inside. That leads to an easy sprint/assassinate to someone not looking inside the shield from the outside. :D

Ramirez

Kuroyume said:
This is going to sound weird but it feels like it's much easier to kill and be killed on Anchor 9. Anyone else notice this?

I do know that it feels more like a Halo map than any of the stock maps, it's a very fast paced map, especially with 12 people running around on it, which isn't as big a mess as I though it would be.

Dirtbag

Arnie said:

You aren't alone. Every sequel has made a mulitkill harder and harder. I remember what infuriated me in Halo 3 was the slow weapon switching. I was so used to keeping my shotgun/sword in the backpack and only switching to it for that split second kill. Now I'm starting to engage an opponent, kill them, and then run for cover no matter the scenario because I know I'm about to get bitched by anyone with half a brain in the area.

I used to think that Halo3 defenders were just less skilled players that really enjoyed the level playing field. While that may have been true, I still thought H3 was a step forward in the franchise. I don't feel the same with Reach.
I'm listening to people like Ghaeleon more... whom were never amazing at MP but recognize core changes to what made the combat so enjoyable. These are people that didn't even dominate in the past yet are still finding it a less enjoyable experience no matter how the playing field shakes down.

I'm getting older and grumpier I suppose, but I really don't think this is a case of nostalgia for me either. The fundamentals of how you approach an enemy encounter have changed, and I just really dont like it.

Dirtbag

Kuroyume said:

6 vs 6 on a map thats just too small for it.
Nothing else.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was playing Stockpile on Anchor 9 earlier and I spawned right in the middle of the map. I was killed immediately by a guy running flag there. I wish you could block spawns :/

Somnid

Snipers on Tempest is a surprisingly good match. I usually loathe snipers but the map is small enough with enough cover that it doesn't feel like shooting across a football field. There's plenty of opportunities to sneak around the back and get assassination or some close quarters. 2 flag CTF wasn't half bad either.

Stockpile on Anchor 9 was pretty fun as well, as was Slayer Pro (regular slayer kinda sucks on it though). I think Breakpoint might be a dud though, I have not played any good matches on it so far.

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn i keep forgetting halo and all the other mp focused titles are in this forum

missed out all on the free noble map goodness =(

NOKYARD

xxjuicesxx said:
It removes speed from the equation and forces you to shoot at a slower pace that less skilled players can aim and think at.
Ooooohhh, that explains why i am better at Reach than i ever was at Halo 3. :D

Now i actually look forward to playing matchmaking, where Halo 3 MM was an exercise in futility.

What are they feeding these Spartans?

210zx45.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
MMaRsu said:
After 25+ Rumble Pit matches over the past two days, I finally just saw Tempest pop up in the voting, and no one aside from me picked it — six people voted for Asylum. Un. Fucking. Real. I know that the matchmaking process is trying to pair me up with other people who have the DLC, but it doesn't seem to be trying hard enough. :|

I still wish there was an option in search restrictions to only find other people with the same DLC. I know it would cut down the player base a significant degree and probably be pretty slow, but I don't care — I want to play the new maps in playlists that I normally play in without having to cross my fingers that all 7-15 other people have them, too.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So I get the long range DMR achievement from the middle of the ridge on Breakpoint from a guy at the edge of the map who was in Range(Red reticle) of my DMR, but not off the top of Spire.

wat

Ramirez

Plywood said:
So I get the long range DMR achievement from the middle of the ridge on Breakpoint from a guy at the edge of the map who was in Range(Red reticle) of my DMR, but not off the top of Spire.

wat

Doesn't it have to be on one of the new maps?

Been reading the last few pages. Without a doubt Reach killed BTB. Especially vehicles. Its just no point to even get in a warthog now.

I like Reach but it doesnt touch H3 for me, maps included.

Booties

Banned
can't believe the reaction i get from one post. you guys must really like what I do here. i guess I'm an asshole, but maybe you guys are for not being able to see past how ridiculously seriously you take this game. Chillin out bros.

Nutter

Trasher said:
Yesterday. When it let me play for one fourth of a game before disconnecting me. I tried to ask you guys for an invite last night, but I don't think any of my messages went through. This game doesn't even let me play when I want to play it. :lol

So how's it going over there Mr. I'm Not on Facebook Anymore?
:[

Well I hope your connection problems get sorted out soon. Because these maps provided some needed fresh air. Anchor 9 and Tempest are awesome. That is all. Breakpoint I am still iffy on. And about facebook, ill activate it again at some point this week.

In other news. The DMR achievement has to be buggy. I have shot and killed people across the map on Breakpoint and not gotten the achievement in a Slayer game. [unless it means FFA slayer which I also did] so not sure what is going on with that. I also need people with the map to play invasion with, so that I may get the invasion on breakpoint achievement, because currently so far none of my invasion games have given the option for breakpoint which sucks, because its probably just 1 or 2 dudes who do not have the map in the lobby. So if people are going to get on to play invasion for that or any other achievements message me. [TAG = TJ NutterB]

This was meant as more of a reply for Shake Appeal, but I agree with Arnie 100% aswell.

Ultimatly whether I do good or bad the slower pace of the game irks
urks
me. The way the game plays out thanks to the new mechanics just isnt as much fun for me - on Halo 3 even though it was never a situation to be in, having the ability to 2 shot beatdown did speed up the pace of the game - especially on stuff like onslought. Also the slower shield recharge rate just slows down the game for both competative and casual players - I can dong at reach, but ultimatly I want to take that out of the equation when discussing Reach - the way some of the mechanics works now just arent fun.

I also agree a lot with Shake when he says that you get less badass plays - that does make the game less fun. I kinda disagree on his weapon analysis though, the Halo 3 sniper was a much harder weapon to use - but players that mastered it would get the huge multi kills and lesser players couldnt touch them. I would say Reach has done a lot to lower this threshhold of skill. Say what you want, but I argue that the new Reach Sniper allows for anyone to get headshots and all sniping boils down to on Reach is people finding a nice camping spot. That never happened on 3. This sort of goes hand in hand with what you said about map movement being more cowardly, but I would argue that's the case for different reasons than you mentioned.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying there should be a huge skill gap - I dont dislike the Reach sniper because its easy. I dont like it because its not fun - theres no satisfaction to it. Same with landing a 5 shot kill compared to a 4 Shot on Halo 2/3 - I honestly at this point still find the DMR AND Pistol work better when spammed. I dont care about what skill dictates I should do - logic says you should spam the first 4 shots and then line up the 5th? Thats not as much fun as putting 4 clinical shots into someone. If I wanted to spam a gun I would use a AR - I hate using those, so I guess naturally I hate spamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom