• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Snowballo

3.jpg

Playing Vita at home: ok
Playing Vita at office: doens't work

I think that you can leave both boxex checked.
Here you find instructions to remote play using internet
It seems you have to open ports on your router.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

Kajlaurent

Neo Member
How awesome would it be if we have an optimized VITA emulator that makes it possible to make your own customized vita tv (digital only of course) and then use PS4link to play remote play.

[

I've been playing PS4 games on my friends PS4 over the internet and I can't believe how well this works. I mean the lag is noticable, but it works much better then what I was expecting. Knack and Killzone are perfectly playable. Hell, even in Resogun I manage.

Darknight

Is remote play limited to the same PSN account on the Vita and PS4? Because that's a real shame if it is :(

Yes. Makes sense since you could log into your system over the internet but it doesnt when you have a multi-person household with their own PSN accounts and 1 Vita. Everyone must have their own MC or flash the MC in the Vita every time. Very bad, Sony.

Wish it was like PSP Remote play where PSP just streamed the feed instead of forcing you to log into both devices at the same time.

Darknight

Is remote play limited to the same PSN account on the Vita and PS4? Because that's a real shame if it is :(

Yes. Makes sense since you could log into your system over the internet but it doesnt when you have a multi-person household with their own PSN accounts and 1 Vita. Everyone must have their own MC or flash the MC in the Vita every time. Very bad, Sony.

Wish it was like PSP Remote play where PSP just streamed the feed instead of forcing you to log into both devices at the same time.

Edgeward

Remote Play AC4 is incredible. The image quality is outstanding, and the nature of the gameplay allows for controlling over the internet to be a non-issue.

That said, even after opening my ports, the connection will eventually drop. And more often than not, it somehow ruins my vita's wifi. Making it impossible to reconnect to the router since it doesn't even see it. Anyone run into this issue?

I hope there are future updates to improve it because this a good thing that could be great

RaikuHebi

Banned

Really hope they sort this out so you can use any of the PS4's accounts after the initial log on.

It's possible to do it locally if you connect a DS4 while in Remote Play.

GravyButt

Getting my vita in the mail this week. My ps4 is connected to my router via ethernet. Probably only use remote play at home

Can anyone tell me the step by step setup process please and thank you!!

Picked up the PS4 today.

Tried out Resogun on Remote Play. Direct connection with the PS4, sitting maybe ten feet away from the console. Was really impressive for a few minutes. Then the image crapped out and the connection was lost.

About what I expected from Remote Play. Wasn't really thrilled about the lack of triggers in a four trigger game either.

I'll keep messing with settings for a bit, but again, this is about what I expected. People used to say the PS3 remote play worked fine too. Maybe for some people it does. Neither PS3 or PS4 remote play has worked well for me.

Tried finally remote play , fifa is unplayable not because it lag but because not enough buttons( read pad is not enough for what fifa requires in high level play )

NFS rivals work flawlessly too and the new control scheme ( inverted L& R ) is near perfect , i do think that in remote play there are less effects on screen.

Resogun is crack, work flawlessly , technically impressive

Direct connection is king , no problems here ( loved it ).

Can't wait to try playing from 5miles aways in a couple of days.

DieH@rd

Banned
Remote Play AC4 is incredible. The image quality is outstanding, and the nature of the gameplay allows for controlling over the internet to be a non-issue.

That said, even after opening my ports, the connection will eventually drop. And more often than not, it somehow ruins my vita's wifi. Making it impossible to reconnect to the router since it doesn't even see it. Anyone run into this issue?

I hope there are future updates to improve it because this a good thing that could be great

Did you try to see how many WiFi networks you have in your home [inSSIDer app for iOS/Android]? You can change your WiFi channel for your Vita in its settings. Info is in OP.

My friend is playing my PS4 in france. I'm in russia for a week with my Vita. I can't connect to my PS4 even if it's a the very moment, on and online (so am I)

why ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just tried remote play for the first time in anger, playing knack for about an hour, 10ft from the PS4 (wired) so I'm assuming it was directly connected (and power saving wifi turned off)

Image quality generally was excellent, very detailed with a little but of blocking occasionally in dark areas. But the frame rate felt jerky. There is lots of left/right movement in knack and it was almost stuttering. Not unolayable, just felt less than 30fps and less smooth than the game on a TV.

Anyone else noticed this?

Dragon

Banned
Just tried remote play for the first time in anger, playing knack for about an hour, 10ft from the PS4 (wired) so I'm assuming it was directly connected (and power saving wifi turned off)

Image quality generally was excellent, very detailed with a little but of blocking occasionally in dark areas. But the frame rate felt jerky. There is lots of left/right movement in knack and it was almost stuttering. Not unolayable, just felt less than 30fps and less smooth than the game on a TV.

Knack has a variable framerate as it is, so I'm sure it doesn't help. I haven't noticed that, and I've played some of ACIV, NFS, and KZ.

My friend is playing my PS4 in france. I'm in russia for a week with my Vita. I can't connect to my PS4 even if it's a the very moment, on and online (so am I)

why ?

I was able to do it here in the States 600 miles away but I had to mess with my mom's router settings because by default it was blocking shit.

DieH@rd

Banned

why ?

Router ports? uPNP? One of those two things probably.

Sounds like WiFi channel problems. You can change channels in Vita options, and you can check which channels are free with smarpthone app inSSIDer.

Also, try both direct and router connection. Is your PS4 connected to the router via WiFi [that can ruin RP sometimes]?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Remote play via the vita was a godsend to me at the weekend when I was laid up in bed with the flu. I would load up Guacamelee on my PS Vita and play that for a while. I would then decide to see what's happening on the PS4. Pause Guacamelee, start up PS4 link and connect to my PS4 which then handily turns on. Mess about on the dashboard for a few mins and start up Battlefield 4. Decide to then play a game of 64 player Conquest using my Vita and it runs very nicely. Admittedly it's a bit awkward having 4 buttons assigned to the touchpad but it's still very playable and I have a good time with it. After a few matches I turn off the PS4 via the Vita, resume Guacamelee and play for another 20 mins or so. I then decide to get some sleep and turn off my Vita putting it into my bedside drawer and go to sleep for a while.

I fucking love my PS4 and Vita combo. I just wish there was a way of having the 4 buttons on the front touch screen somewhere, at the corners or something. But still, it's cool as hell regardless.

f@luS

More than a member.
i dont understand why my remote play is crappy

im 2meter from my ps4 , in direct connection...

resogun when its too many things, get pixelisated. Killzone is ok. Trines is really not good..... (no lag but pixels not coz of connection , but just pixelisated floor, absolutely for exemple)

i go in sleeping room , and damn, gets quite a bit laggy or blocky...its really not far...

but looks like any fast paced game for me isnt that good...or its wrong just in my case

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds like WiFi channel problems. You can change channels in Vita options, and you can check which channels are free with smarpthone app inSSIDer.

Also, try both direct and router connection. Is your PS4 connected to the router via WiFi [that can ruin RP sometimes]?

PS4 is wired.

Edit: using inSSIDer, my router is on channel 1, my neighbour is on 6 and so is my PS4 access point. Changing the vita ad-hoc channel to 11 doesn't seem to make any difference, the PS4 stays on 6, and I can't see any PS4 settings to change that.

deadpixel

Banned
That's the problem with internal antennaes. Especially the weak ones on the Vita and PS4. I recommend establishing the connection through your wireless router. 1+ if it has an external antennae. Connect your PS4 through Ethernet.

Ulumsk

Loving this feature now. I have the PS4 place in the middle of the basement and it now covers the entire house in direct connection remoteplay goodness. I wish my Wii U gamepad had half the range.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about importing the Vita 2000 for this remote thing.. playing Witcher 3, Final Fantasy XV etc. on my bed sounds too good to be true :3

DieH@rd

Banned
PS4 is wired.

Edit: using inSSIDer, my router is on channel 1, my neighbour is on 6 and so is my PS4 access point. Changing the vita ad-hoc channel to 11 doesn't seem to make any difference, the PS4 stays on 6, and I can't see any PS4 settings to change that.

Did you tried to reboot the Vita?

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok i just read all 1st post tuto

and everything is perfect now

my advice : DIRECT connect sux balls

when my vita is on wifi at home i have all bar...and you know the second you connect through remote play you have the icon showing power....when it goes on ps4 direct, i have just 2 bar....ps4 wifi emeter must sux

couldnt play from my sleeping room or bathroom (understand toilet..)

i follow tuto , picked good channels, unlock power saving, and now its flawless

ps4=> routeur => vita
is much better than ps4=> vita for me

its really amazing now

DieH@rd

Banned
/f@luS

Majority of people have better experience with direct connection. But some like you are reporting better results with routers.

f@luS

More than a member.
/f@luS

Majority of people have better experience with direct connection. But some like you are reporting better results with routers.

well maybe because my ps4 is too close to my modem , and other electronice device then...but i clearly see the wifi level on vita going from max (router) to 2 only (for the second connecting on ps4 direct)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did you tried to reboot the Vita?

Yes, still doing it. The PS4 access point is always there on channel 6

I don't think the adhoc channel setting on vita has anything to do with remote play. It's there for the vita to set up an access point for other vitas to connect to for adhoc play. For remote play it'll be looking for the existing PS4 access point which is entirely controlled by the PS4 (but which doesn't seem to have a setting that can be changed)

f@luS

More than a member.
what is the minimum speed for remote play? i tried to share my 3g from my phone it says too slow

Edgeward

Did you try to see how many WiFi networks you have in your home [inSSIDer app for iOS/Android]? You can change your WiFi channel for your Vita in its settings. Info is in OP.

I made the channel static and at least in direct mode, remote play has been great. Not even blocks during my play tine so far.

Flawless :)

So, I'd love to try out remote play over the internet, but my Vita can't connect to the PSN via my phone's wifi tether. The internet connection test passes everything until it gets to the PSN, where it times out. Last night I switched back and forth between my home wireless and the tether on my phone and confirmed that it works fine on my home wifi but fails to connect to the PSN on my phone's. I found this link that suggests that the issue is changes made in android 4.2 and on (I'm running 4.3). I've tried most of the solutions in that thread short of flashing down to 4.1 (which I really don't want to do).

Has anyone else encountered this problem and managed to solve it? Thanks.

driver116

what is the minimum speed for remote play? i tried to share my 3g from my phone it says too slow

Probably anything less than 100ms ping speed. 3g can be as much as 2000ms or more at times.

Content on TV remains unchanged.

Internal encoder takes that video and creates secondary mirror Remote Play video stream for Vita [544p] or VitaTV [720p].

Seems more logical to disable the TV output, fix internal rendering to 544/720 and benefit from reduced power consumption, heat, and possibly encoding time.

Ok i just read all 1st post tuto

and everything is perfect now

my advice : DIRECT connect sux balls

when my vita is on wifi at home i have all bar...and you know the second you connect through remote play you have the icon showing power....when it goes on ps4 direct, i have just 2 bar....ps4 wifi emeter must sux

couldnt play from my sleeping room or bathroom (understand toilet..)

i follow tuto , picked good channels, unlock power saving, and now its flawless

ps4=> routeur => vita
is much better than ps4=> vita for me

its really amazing now

I assume you're using an Ethernet cable now then? I'm using wireless only and both modes are pretty bad.

DieH@rd

Banned
Seems more logical to disable the TV output, fix internal rendering to 544/720 and benefit from reduced power consumption, heat, and possibly encoding time.

Nah. RP can also be used for coop games where someone continues to play on big TV. They have created one simple system that works in all situations.

Have ditched my BT Homehub and now using this it's working perfectly with Remote Play and also works with BT Sport via my YouView box. Not many routers offer that so it was a case of finding one that wasn't too expensive and ticked all the right boxes.

driver116

Nah. RP can also be used for coop games where someone continues to play on big TV. They have created one simple system that works in all situations.

No that sounds fair for co-op. But it's kind of wasteful for normal remote play I think, although do we get the benefit of downsampling?

RaikuHebi

Banned
So what's the recommended upload speed for this to work swimmingly over the internet? Thinking of upgrading my home internet, currently on phone line 6.5mbit down and 1mbit up.

Hasney

After a long play session of AC4 last night, I woke up this morning and booted up the Vita to go do the fleet management stuff. That convenience is just bliss.

curb

Banned
After a long play session of AC4 last night, I woke up this morning and booted up the Vita to go do the fleet management stuff. That convenience is just bliss.

Half of my 20+ hours of AC4 have been through Remote Play. I've been so happy with it.

DieH@rd

Banned
So what's the recommended upload speed for this to work swimmingly over the internet? Thinking of upgrading my home internet, currently on phone line 6.5mbit down and 1mbit up.

We dont have precise mesurements, but people with 5mbit upload have reported no problems with RP.

suedester

Banned

It worked for me with 3mbit upload. Only tried it for a few minutes though but appeared to play fine. Read a few other successes with the same speed. I'd suggest that's the minimum and 5-6 would be preferable.

Hasney

Half of my 20+ hours of AC4 have been through Remote Play. I've been so happy with it.

I like that Ubi actually bothered to have a decent control scheme away from the default, which made it a lot better. I can't play FIFA without manually editing the buttons and then editing them back again when I play on my TV because the run button is on the damn touchpad.

curb

Banned
I like that Ubi actually bothered to have a decent control scheme away from the default, which made it a lot better. I can't play FIFA without manually editing the buttons and then editing them back again when I play on my TV because the run button is on the damn touchpad.

Having a proper control scheme implemented makes such a difference. I tried playing BlackLight with RP - that's a disaster. At least it sounds like implementing a proper RP scheme isn't hard so hopefully Sony will have lots of good usage stats to give devs to show that it's worth the effort going forward.

JCX

My remote play experience varies depending on the time of day. I've never been able to remotely wake up my PS4 from work, but if I leave the PS4 on and connect from work, it stays on for a few seconds before disconnecting.

Overall a cool feature that I still use a lot at home, but it looks like playing from anywhere is too tough due to varying wifi settings.

Top Bottom