• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Certinty

I love playing me some AC4 through remote play, it works very well. One thing I find weird: Eagle vision and the map won't work for some reason through using the (rear) touchpad, is this the case for everyone or am I missing something? Such a weird thing not to include in your control mapping.
For the map you touch around the center of the touchscreen, for eagle vision the bottom left of the touchscreen or something like that.

DieH@rd

Banned
I love playing me some AC4 through remote play, it works very well. One thing I find weird: Eagle vision and the map won't work for some reason through using the (rear) touchpad, is this the case for everyone or am I missing something? Such a weird thing not to include in your control mapping.

AC4 on Vita RP has its own control scheme. Center of your screen emulates touchpad on DS4 controller. L1//R1 buttons are also on the edges of the screen. L3 and R3 are on backtouch.

Jinjo

For the map you touch around the center of the touchscreen, for eagle vision the bottom left of the touchscreen or something like that.

AC4 on Vita RP has its own control scheme. Center of your screen emulates touchpad on DS4 controller. L1//R1 buttons are also on the edges of the screen. L3 and R3 are on backtouch.

Thanks guys. Somehow I must have missed the giant screen explaining the controls that the game throws in your face when you start remote play lol.

Been playing Resogun and NFS Rivals about 50% of the time over remote play over my LAN.

Works great!

I'm not sure why eurogamer came off so negative about it, but so far my experience has been good.

One thing to keep in mind for those experiencing wifi issues: make sure your vita is not using a low power wifi setting (I think its under settings->power settings, or something like that?)

Anyway that made a big difference to my connection over my wifi router to the PS4.

rukland

Flew from Minnesota to Las Vegas today. About 1300 miles, now sitting in my friends place playing AC IV via remote play on the vita with zero issues. Buying the vita was the best thing I have done in awhile.

DieH@rd

Banned
Flew from Minnesota to Las Vegas today. About 1300 miles, now sitting in my friends place playing AC IV via remote play on the vita with zero issues. Buying the vita was the best thing I have done in awhile.

Can you make a short vid of your Remote Play experience?

DBT85

So I've come home t try and get RP working over the internet, tried it tethered to my phone and it's worked fine. Most odd.

I'll try again at work tomorrow.

Post like these prove how amazing Vita RP is. I bet the WiiU can't do that now can it Leadbetter! As soon as I started reading the article I knew it was by him.

NextGen

I bought Knack for my wife along with a Vita (the main reason being we could play together via remote play) this is where my issue is. when I connect with the vita I take control of the game, I was under the impression once I connected with vita I would press x and jump into the game with a second character.

The only way we can play together is if I take over with the vita then log in as a second user with the DS4. Is this the only way it can be done?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm sure I'm not being OCD here. It seems to be preferring to connect through the router from my room, even though the direct connection reaches just fine. Which is annoying because my Router is only G, so it's far, far slower than the direct N connection. I think this is happening anyway, maybe it's just my imagination. I'm sure I saw more pixelation when I've got my Vita connected to my router. I decided to alleviate the issue by making the Vita have to manually connect to my router.

Doombear

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. But I live in the UK and have a main UK account. If I downloaded some games using my dummy US account, could I still play those via remote play? (The PS4 would be signed into my UK account, which is on my Vita)

Works fine for me the opposite way around (playing War Thunder on my NA main account)

I've been playing it.

So War Thunder works with remote play? Is it weird with the back touch buttons?

Playing War Thunder EU on my NA main, while on my VIta ... wow. So fun and so simple. Back touch (R2 to fire being on the back, top, right handed corner) controls are a bit weird as it is hard enough to target as is, that reaching for that touch pad usually would jog my reticle just enough to miss =P Or perhaps I am just horrible.

Either way it was a blast. I am loving Remote Play so far. Mostly for FIFA and ACIV. War Thunder is nice though. Warframe not so much as ADS being mapped to left d-pad makes it pretty much unplayable for me.

It has, however, convinced me to upgrade my router to cover more of our house and finally put the current one out of its misery.

I just don't know what is happening. Remote play at home has been getting progressively worse and worse, especially Connect Directly. Tried every tweak that's been mentioned. Actually-remote remote play from work has been more stable.

BigDug13

Didnt devs announce that War Thunder is not supporting RP at launch? Did you meant Warframe maybe?

Doesn't that just mean that the devs simply haven't provided their own custom control mapping to Sony? I think everything at least works with default control scheme no matter what, and a dev "supporting remote play" just means they customize the controls in some way.

Or am I wrong?

Was testing RP here at work and it came up with connection lost, I've tried reconncting but it's just not finding the PS4 at home. I'm assuming it's maybe still on or in a remote play state? Is there a certain amount of time in which it will go back to standby?

Jhn

I've not read through the entire thread, but is anyone else having problems with their vita not being able to remotely turn on their PS4?
All the settings are correct, the PS4 is connected directly to the internet, no router. Remote play works, it just can't turn on the PS4 remotely, regardless of what I do.

BigDug13

I've not read through the entire thread, but is anyone else having problems with their vita not being able to remotely turn on their PS4?
All the settings are correct, the PS4 is connected directly to the internet, no router. Remote play works, it just can't turn on the PS4 remotely, regardless of what I do.

And you're putting the PS4 in standby instead of "off"?

Jhn

And you're putting the PS4 in standby instead of "off"?
Yup. I'm not doing anything obvious wrong from what I can tell. It should work, it just doesn't. It finds the PS4 fine, but it fails at the "powering on" stage.

Edit: Ok, bizarrely the PS4 powers on successfully when connecting via internet and not locally. However, the connection fails after that, so the PS4 is on, but I still can't play.

goonergaz

Put this in the other thread but I guess here is a better place...

We have a bit of fun over the whole 'console wars' at work - one guy in particular is very pro MS (he is like a green stick of MS rock lol) and anti Sony, so I wanted to get his views on remote play (he's been playing it down from day one).

I had already had a play at home to test it and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. I had already played SotC a bit back in the day so knew Vita was better than PSP, but a ~30 min trial of several games had me impressed on PS4.

So testing at work was a double whammy, firstly test the RP outside my 'local' network and secondly to (hopefully) prove to my mate it's not a complete waste of time.

Initially I had real issues connecting to the network, and then even when connected I couldn't get the PS4 to switch on. I'd all but given up (to many a jibe at RP expense) when (after a cold re-boot of the Vita) I had success...I was in!

It just so happened as I started to move the sticks it appeared the PS4 had a mind of it's own, only for me to realise my son was logged in and using the PS4. I took over the session by logging in and started FIFA...when in my son decided we'd play 2 player and logged himself in as the opposition. So that was really cool - he was at home playing against me on a VIta at work...great stuff! I passed the Vita around and all were impressed.

I then decided to switch into Resogun - this would be the ideal test for lag...and I have to say, even the MS fan admitted it was impressive, miles better than he expected and actually a neat little feature. I have to say everyone that played agreed the same thing, yes there's lag - but it's not a game breaker.

Remote play (if a little hit and miss to get going- maybe down to the fact my son was messing about?) works and it works well.

R_Deckard

Yep I have been playing this at home upstairs in bed, and at work across the internet and it does search for your PS4 local first and then search on the net, once found away you go and PS4 turns on and you use it like you would at home.

With Resogun (my main played game on Vita remote) you can notice the 30fps drop and the ever so slight lag but for this and other single player games it is not game damaging at all.

I was impressed by COD as when played on Remote as you lack of buttons (Shoulders) it gives you an on-screen Grenade icon Like Uncharted on Vita so you just touch this to throw, a neat touch and just seamless.

To be honest it is one of the best features of the PS4 and most likely the most underused, if you HAVE a Vita then you WILL use this, if you have a Son/Daughter buy a Vita for this (I did last year but not for this) but so glad I did. I can now play full PS4 games even on holiday sitting in the sun...That is just an amazing treat and a real USP IMOP!!.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I just don't know what is happening. Remote play at home has been getting progressively worse and worse, especially Connect Directly. Tried every tweak that's been mentioned. Actually-remote remote play from work has been more stable.
Delete your router from the Vita network settings.

Snowballo

Just a question concerning the Android PSN App:

I was able to remote play with Vita with no problem (putting the XXXX XXXX number on Vita).
I was trying to make the same with my cell phone but no luck at all.

My PS4 is connected by LAN cable.
Phone is of course getting the wifi signal.
Both are under the same home network.

PS4 side: I go under settings and Phone App and a XXXX XXXX number is shown.
Phone side: I launch the application and on the bottom left I choose PS4 connection, but my PS4 is not found.

Any hint?
Thanks.

Zoe

Yup. I'm not doing anything obvious wrong from what I can tell. It should work, it just doesn't. It finds the PS4 fine, but it fails at the "powering on" stage.

Edit: Ok, bizarrely the PS4 powers on successfully when connecting via internet and not locally. However, the connection fails after that, so the PS4 is on, but I still can't play.
Are you trying a second time after it turns on? Sometimes it times out because it takes too long for it to power up, but then if you try to connect a second time it will work now that you don't have to wait for that.

Jhn

Are you trying a second time after it turns on? Sometimes it times out because it takes too long for it to power up, but then if you try to connect a second time it will work now that you don't have to wait for that.

I've been spamming it for a good 10 minutes at a time without more success. As I said, If I enable local connection on the PS4, it seemingly detects the console, but does not turn on. If I disable local connection, the PS4 actually turns on, but the vita is still stuck on "Searching the internet", and then times out.

noomi

Anyone get decent performance doing a remote connection while the ps4 is connected through wifi?

Went to work the other day with my vita, and while it did connect to my ps4 after a few minutes, it was slow, unresponsive, and i had frequent disconnects.

Sadlty I am not able to get a wired connection to my ps4 at the moment, going to try homeplugs soon to see if it makes a difference.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Anyone get decent performance doing a remote connection while the ps4 is connected through wifi?

Went to work the other day with my vita, and while it did connect to my ps4 after a few minutes, it was slow, unresponsive, and i had frequent disconnects.

Sadlty I am not able to get a wired connection to my ps4 at the moment, going to try homeplugs soon to see if it makes a difference.

Pretty sure most people don't. Perhaps it would work well with a Wireless N router though.

Lan_97

The Vita app really needs the option to choose direct connect or to use the current wifi network instead of disconnecting and doing a fresh search. I have multiple wifi access points and the Vita will always prioritize direct connect even if the signal strength is poor or choose a suboptimal access point. In order to guarantee that I connect to a secondary access point I have to walk to a section of the home that only sees that access point.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The Vita app really needs the option to choose direct connect or to use the current wifi network instead of disconnecting and doing a fresh search. I have multiple wifi access points and the Vita will always prioritize direct connect even if the signal strength is poor or choose a suboptimal access point. In order to guarantee that I connect to a secondary access point I have to walk to a section of the home that only sees that access point.

Exactly what I want. In my case I find it isn't prioritising direct connect which is quicker and connecting to my router instead which is slower.

driver116

I played briefly the other day after switching direct connect on (it's off by default) and it was a lagfest. Will turn it off and see if that makes a difference. It's funny they call that option direct connect when it connects via the router whereas PS4 - Vita direct is that option turned off :/

Also, not being able to switch modes when in remote play is a bit ridiculous.

noomi

Pretty sure most people don't. Perhaps it would work well with a Wireless N router though.

This is what I was thinking as well, I do have a wireless N router, but the ps4 doesn't do wireless N, right?

Either way, I'll just have to wait for my homeplugs to come in and hope they do better.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I played briefly the other day after switching direct connect on (it's off by default) and it was a lagfest. Will turn it off and see if that makes a difference. It's funny they call that option direct connect when it connects via the router whereas PS4 - Vita direct is that option turned off :/

Also, not being able to switch modes when in remote play is a bit ridiculous.

Wait what? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

They need to allow switching PS4 accounts while logged in through Remote Play. It can display other accounts just fine if you connect a controller while using Remote Play, but the Vita's buttons only work for the account that is on the Vita.

This is what I was thinking as well, I do have a wireless N router, but the ps4 doesnt do wireless N, right?

It does. Perhaps there you need to tweak some settings on your router? I have no idea as I'm still running on G.

simonski

I noticed yesterday that my PS4 hadn't recieved any updates while on standby, which is presumably because of the same reason why my vita won't switch it on over the internet (outside of my home network). Looks like I need a new router.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I noticed yesterday that my PS4 hadn't recieved any updates while on standby, which is presumably because of the same reason why my vita won't switch it on over the internet (outside of my home network). Looks like I need a new router.

You definitely sure that you have the power save settings set to allow the PS4 to connect to the internet while in standby?

simonski

You definitely sure that you have the power save settings set to allow the PS4 to connect to the internet while in standby?

Most definitely. I think I've detailed my experiences earlier in the thread but basically my RP story is-

Direct connection - no problem. Flawless.

Over the internet (but still on the home network) - no problem, perhaps slightly laggier as is to be expected.

Over the internet but outside of my home network - the PS4 comes out of standby, but doesn't beep. It's like a limbo state. Fans make a little noise. 30 seconds later the vita says it's unable to connect and the PS4 goes back to standby

Zoe

Wait what? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

It's not. I'm able to confirm how I'm connecting when at home because the PS4 is hooked up to a hub. If Direct Connect is off, the hub will light up with activity. If it's on, no activity.

So.. .for Remote play to work.. does your PS4 have to be on? I saw where a guy said that he flew to Minnesota and was sitting on a friends couch over 1k miles away and was playing AC 4.

Oni Jazar

So.. .for Remote play to work.. does your PS4 have to be on? I saw where a guy said that he flew to Minnesota and was sitting on a friends couch over 1k miles away and was playing AC 4.

You can turn it on from suspend, but that "wake up" setting has to be enabled on the PS4.

I can't get it to work from the internet. Works fine via wifi or direct at home but at work It gets to "Checking connection environment" and then "Could not connect to the PS4 system" :(

simonski

Oddly my PS4 does turn on over the internet, but just sits there asking me to press my PS button, while the vita continues its search, to no avail.

lucius

So I have the box in options checked to connect directly during Remote Play, so if I go away and want to try to connect through the internet there is no way to do that unless you uncheck that box on the PS4 first before you leave home?

Remote play has been working great for me connecting directly, if you can stream HD no problems your connection will be good enough, if not you won't see as good results which is pretty much what should be expected, actually I never thought AC4 would work so well. For me AC4 plays overall better on Remote play than any of the console verisions did of AC3.

Ulumsk

Got it set up last night and I was seriously crestfallen when remoteplay just ran like garbage for no apparent reason when connecitng directly. I then decided to do what I had planned to do for ages anyway and that was setting up a wireless bridge in the basement with a spare router for my TV setup. Now when I connect the PS4 with ethernet to the bridge repeater RemotePlay works flawlessly, hooray! Now I just need a long ethernet cable so I can place the PS4 somewhere it covers the entire house in remoteplay goodness.

I tried experimenting a little as well and put the PS4 in my car and used the Vita as the display and it worked as well as my WiiU. PS4 is a portable games console!
As long as it is connected to something with power and wheels.

BigDug13

One thing that I love is that Remote Play does not interfere with your Vita game state. Whenever I switch between my Vita version of Dragon's Crown to PS4 remote play and back, the Dragon's Crown game is right where I left it, instead of regular Vita games that force you to shut down one game for the other.

suedester

Banned
Oddly my PS4 does turn on over the internet, but just sits there asking me to press my PS button, while the vita continues its search, to no avail.

Mine does that, although sometimes when i try to connect again it will then log in and work. Not sure how consistently it will work though as i only tried it once as a proof of concept. Not had much other luck connecting over the internet, although with admittedly poor wifi speeds.

Zoe

So I have the box in options checked to connect directly during Remote Play, so if I go away and want to try to connect through the internet there is no way to do that unless you uncheck that box on the PS4 first before you leave home?

No, that setting does not affect using internet connections.

Top Bottom