• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Peterthumpa

Just upgraded my upload speed from 2 to 3 MB and that made one hell of a difference to make NFS Rivals actually playable via Internet. RP is really amazing, wouldn't even believe that it worked this good before trying it for myself.

curb

Banned
My remote play experience varies depending on the time of day. I've never been able to remotely wake up my PS4 from work, but if I leave the PS4 on and connect from work, it stays on for a few seconds before disconnecting.

Overall a cool feature that I still use a lot at home, but it looks like playing from anywhere is too tough due to varying wifi settings.

I've only been able to wake my PS4 from sleep via Remote Play once regardless of connection method and I have the proper options selected in the setup.

People's experience with RP seems to be all over the map.

I've only been able to wake my PS4 from sleep via Remote Play once regardless of connection method and I have the proper options selected in the setup.

People's experience with RP seems to be all over the map.

Yes it certainly does although I would say it suggests the hardware seems to be there for it to work, the only issues seem to be network and software related

I imagine the software end of things (turning on your PS4 will become more stable over time) but network issues will persist

Think I might buy a new router to try it when I get my vita

FlipCup

Neo Member
I have been able to use RP when near my PS4 downstairs, however RP is very laggy and almost unuseable upstairs in a different room. My router PS4 is hard wired through Ethernet into my router. I was thinking of purchasing the WiFi Repeater or something similar to make the signal stronger in my upstairs room. Has anyone used anything like this?

Similar to: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-One-button-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386726465&sr=1-1

Powerline adapter wifi extenders are a better bet

Something like these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046SQ8VW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edgeward

Well i can RP from across the house but not from downstaris. And when i lose connection it also loses the router but this time i was at least able to connect manually. Same floor RP works. Direct is much preferred for me. But wireless is good too even on my 2mb upload.

Steel

Banned
I actually completed an entire game of BF 4 with remote play. In vehicles, the sticks work fine since the sensitivity of the vehicles is naturally low. On foot(after my first tank got blown up), I got a couple of kills, but that's mostly because I had the drop on them. Aiming as infantry with the vita is.... Unfortunate, but possible(I should probably have turned the stick sensitivity all the way down in hind-sight). Overall, finished the game with 10 kills 8 deaths and about the 4th highest score due to objectives. So not bad, considering.

Edit:

Also, I was wondering, is there some way to get party chat to work while remote playing? When you go into RP it closes the vita party app and the PS4 party chat doesn't recognize the vita's built-in mic or any mic that gets connected to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the PS4 keep the orange light always while in standby? I can't connect remotely and was going to ask my wife to see if the orange light is on, but I think after a while it switches off?

could connect a few days ago from a public wifi hotspot, but cant' today. Pretty sure I left it in standby yesterday because I was going to test it today from my office.

JCX

Thanks. Has anyone had experience with this item? Or something similar.

I bought one of those specifically to improve my remote play connection (I used a repeater before), and it definitely seemed to stabilize remote play at home even when the direct connection option is unchecked. Did not significantly improve remote play from another wifi network though.

Anyone else been thinking that with DS4 support coming to PSVTV next year it might also come to PSV next year?

Imagine remote play with a DS4 from where ever, just have a little stand for the PSV

Yeah you don't really need it wired for remote play if u getting upload speeds of 40mbs and download at 50 right?
I had a cable because my wifi sucked, but then I switched the security to WPA2 and I'm getting 50/50 now. which is what my internet plan offers

edit: just tried with my iphone as a hotspot(unchecked option to connect directly to vita) in my house and it worked!
niceee!

I'm curious if the stream is even stable 30fps.

I played some knack over remote play and then uploaded a video of it, when I watched it on Facebook it seemed smoother.

Decided to lay in bed and play warframe with a buddy while chatting on the vitas party chat. Zero lag really smooth experience I even liked the custom controls warframe uses. Just blows me away

VanWinkle

I played some knack over remote play and then uploaded a video of it, when I watched it on Facebook it seemed smoother.

I feel like it's under 30, too. Although, I don't know, Resogun seems like a pretty solid 30 when I play it.

Iorv3th

Alright I ran into a problem.

I have my PS4 connected to a router that is set up as a switch and my PS4 can not detect it over the internet.

So my connection goes

Fiber Direct to Router > Switch > PS4.

Is there any way that I could get this to work without being directly connected to the router? To many cables to string and not enough ports.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I tried playing Call of Duty using remote play. Worked surprisingly well, but I couldn't get comfortable with the layout. Moving between the sticks and face buttons was weird, and tapping the touchpad for sprint wasn't working well for me.

Of course, that's not exactly the ideal game for the remote-play system, and I'm a Vita newbie; I'm sure one adjusts.

FeiRR

Banned
I noticed a possible bug in PS4 OS with remote play (sorry if already mentioned, I tried search to no results).

I plugged in a wireless keyboard to PS4 for typing messages. PS4 recognizes it correctly and works. (Off-topic: it also recognizes a mouse but doesn't work) Then I wanted to remote play from my Vita and I couldn't log in. When I went to PS4 to check what the problem was, I got a profile logging screen with a message asking who would be using that keyboard. This isn't displayed on Vita and prevents remote connection.

Long story short: you can't have keyboard plugged into your PS4 if you use remote play at the same time, at least I don't know how. I hope they fix it one day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

this might be knack. I had the same experience - seemed a little stuttery, but resogun was fine.

leng jai

Remote play has actually made me realise how sub par the Vita controls are since there's a direct comparison with the DS4. The sticks are nowhere near as good, the right stick is far too close to the face buttons and the back touchpad can easily be pressed by accident.

SnakeNL

So this doesnt work with a Airport Extreme, right ?

I tried everything opened up ports even used the "DMZ" function and i still cant connect.
Anyone has the same problem with the Airport ?

So this doesnt work with a Airport Extreme, right ?

I tried everything opened up ports even used the "DMZ" function and i still cant connect.
Anyone has the same problem with the Airport ?

Are you trying to connect to Remote Play from outside of your house, or inside? I have the newest Airport Extreme and have had no problems connecting to my PS4 via my router in my house (I have direct connect turned off on my PS4 since it tries to connect that way when not in range). I haven't tried connecting over the internet outside my house though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I haven't put anything in the DMZ or forwarded any ports either.

npm0925

I want to maximize my remote play enjoyment in the bedroom (about 30 feet from the PS4) of my apartment (so lots of other wireless signals). I can get about 2/3 wifi bars in a best case scenario. I have a Linksys WRT5GL router running Tomato firmware in my living room that my PS4 is connected to via ethernet cable. What's the single best upgrade I can make? A new router? A wireless repeater? I don't care about playing outside the house. I just want the direct play experience to work in my bedroom.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want to maximize my remote play enjoyment in the bedroom (about 30 feet from the PS4) of my apartment (so lots of other wireless signals). I can get about 2/3 wifi bars in a best case scenario. I have a Linksys WRT5GL router running Tomato firmware in my living room that my PS4 is connected to via ethernet cable. What's the single best upgrade I can make? A new router? A wireless repeater? I don't care about playing outside the house. I just want the direct play experience to work in my bedroom.

Check your router is on the optimal channel - use inSSIDer. Just by moving your router wifi channel can reduce interference a lot

Alternatively, if you can fit an external antenna to the router, or move the router closer to your bedroom

SnakeNL

Are you trying to connect to Remote Play from outside of your house, or inside? I have the newest Airport Extreme and have had no problems connecting to my PS4 via my router in my house (I have direct connect turned off on my PS4 since it tries to connect that way when not in range). I haven't tried connecting over the internet outside my house though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I haven't put anything in the DMZ or forwarded any ports either.

Outside.
Inside works fine :)

goonergaz

Really hope they sort this out so you can use any of the PS4's accounts after the initial log on.

It's possible to do it locally if you connect a DS4 while in Remote Play.

The issue I had was that my son was mid game so I said he could finish it via vita (one of the main reasons for remote play in my household).

But I couldn't figure out how to do it and I've tried the above, it means you can log in but the vita is still controlling the main account?

Is this still the only way:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/How_to_Switch_PSN_Accounts_on_PlayStation_Vita

What a PITB -sort this Sony...it's so near to perfection...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Having some trouble connecting from work (dry run before tryign to connect from my parents over Christmas)

They have guest wifi which redirects me to an 'accept' page, or I've tried my smartphone tethering. Both let me browse to websites using the vita browser, but not connect via remoteplay

Does remoteplay require something special?

edit: got a connection eventually through my phone.

nampad

I like that Ubi actually bothered to have a decent control scheme away from the default, which made it a lot better. I can't play FIFA without manually editing the buttons and then editing them back again when I play on my TV because the run button is on the damn touchpad.

Yes, I just tried Fifa yesterday and I despise EA for their lazyness. Setting a control theme for remote play should have been so easy but now I always have to change the controls myself when I switch between playing on my TV or Vita. They won't give us more than legacy editions on the Vita and now not even good remote play.
I feel so dirty that I bought 3 next gen games from them and Fifa twice.

Zoe

Having some trouble connecting from work (dry run before tryign to connect from my parents over Christmas)

They have guest wifi which redirects me to an 'accept' page, or I've tried my smartphone tethering. Both let me browse to websites using the vita browser, but not connect via remoteplay

Does remoteplay require something special?

edit: got a connection eventually through my phone.

They could be throttling connections to known gaming services.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The issue I had was that my son was mid game so I said he could finish it via vita (one of the main reasons for remote play in my household).

But I couldn't figure out how to do it and I've tried the above, it means you can log in but the vita is still controlling the main account?

Is this still the only way:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/How_to_Switch_PSN_Accounts_on_PlayStation_Vita

What a PITB -sort this Sony...it's so near to perfection...

If you use a DS4 then you can use any account in Remote Play but the Vita will just become a screen, the buttons only work for the Vita's account.

Man, remote play with Shadowfall is terrible. Erratic, stuttery framerate, and just unnecessary lag. Its quite jarring because BF4 is damn near perfect via direct connect as is Lego Marvel.
Wonder if it has anything to do with its unlocked framerate?

bobot

Neo Member
Man, remote play with Shadowfall is terrible. Erratic, stuttery framerate, and just unnecessary lag. Its quite jarring because BF4 is damn near perfect via direct connect as is Lego Marvel.

I'm having zero issues with shadowfalls remote play. Unless I'm too far away that is

Total opposite of what I get with KZ in bed. Occasional little grey box and a few wobbles, but 90% steady and definitely playable/winnable.

Top Bottom