• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Ops |OT| PC lesser race finally joins in the battle against oppression

ArjanN

Narpas Sword0 said:
I hate when games make achievements in single player only.

Boo this man.gif

Multiplayer achievements suck balls. Especially for smaller games where the community is dead after a month or two and there's no way to get them anymore. They also can ruin online games because people ignore the actual objectives to go chase after achievements.

Just started Mission 3. Dear god this game is pure arcade bliss :D

At first I was like "this feels linear" but then I realized I can jump off cliffs and drive through houses hahaha.

I salute you Avalanche for giving us a pure mindless fun old school style arcade shooter :D

I would love to see them make a M.A.S.K or even GI Joe game that plays like this. M.A.S.K would be epic, especially if you can transform from car to jet on the fly (depending on who you choose).

I'm liking this a lot. It's a bit hard on normal though when not leveled up.
And I don't really like being rushed by the timer.

Man, this game is flat out nuts. I ended up finishing it all in one sitting with a friend (I love that dynamic splitscreen effect). It was already crazy enough with just the two of us...I can only imagine what it's like with 4 people. I'll have to check that out some time.

The final level was a bit of a letdown though...the game really isn't built for maneuvering around in tight corridors, IMO. Final boss was a pain, too. Just barely managed to scrape by on that one.

aku:jiki

Rewrite said:
Exactly. Even in the final stage where you get bombarded with a lot of enemies, you still have to wait until the platform moves for the next wave to appear and it takes too long for that to happen that you'll lose your combo streak anyway. I just don't see how it's possible to do it solo. I haven't tried hardcore mode yet, but maybe it's a little different in that mode? From all the levels that I've played...there is literally no area or part where you can chain that amount on Normal difficulty.
I got it now, the answer is simple: play hardcore! The streak counter is much longer so you do have time to reach the next squad there. I was pulling 15-20 streaks constantly on level 2, so 50x is just a matter of finding the right sequence of squads. You can proabably get it on the last level elevator now.

The overall ranks are far higher too, so I'm willing to bet that you'll get an Alien rank when you get a 50x streak.

Plus, hardcore mode is harder but it really isn't that bad with a high-level character. :D

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I had to start the game on normal difficulty again because you can't level up in the easy difficulty... bah. It's actually less difficult now if you know what you're doing, so I'll probably finish the game today in one marathon session.

Atruvius

I started with Roxy, air strike is just awesome. I'm at mission 6 or 7 and I've been havin' a blast. Game looks gorgeous, runs smoothly and plays perfectly. This is probably the best downloadable game I have bought off the PSN.

Finaika

Enco said:
Yikes.

Think I'll give this a miss. Not a huge fan of top down games anyway.
Not really.

I took about half an hour per level on Mission 1 & 2, but I did take my own sweet time.

Rewrite said:
^ Thanks a lot dude. Will attempt it on hardcore difficulty.
No problem! Just to confirm, I did succeed in scoring an Alien rank on Hardcore and the 50x is definitely pretty much only doable in HC mode. Haven't gotten that one yet, but the beginning of stage 6 has serious potential for it.

I scored the Alien rank on mission 3 with 8 million points, a 1.2 million streak bonus and zero deaths. The zero deaths is the most important part, it seems, as my high score is closer to 9 million with 2 million streak bonus but that run was only an "insane" rank.

Was hoping to be first to 200 but that guy who's on top of every leaderboard already has it. :(

I would really like to understand the randomness with which the game rewards you with trophies. When I reached level 45 with Roxy I got the trophy for doing a 50x combo. Now I've beaten hardcore and I got the trophy for reaching level 45 with a character. Now how the hell am I supposed to get the hardcore trophy? :lol

Enco said:
Yikes.

Think I'll give this a miss. Not a huge fan of top down games anyway.

It's not as big of a deal as you might think. I've already played the first level 3 times now with 3 of the 4 cars, and I haven't even finished the campaign yet, so I think it has a good deal of replayability.

swoon

ArjanN said:
Boo this man.gif

Multiplayer achievements suck balls. Especially for smaller games where the community is dead after a month or two and there's no way to get them anymore. They also can ruin online games because people ignore the actual objectives to go chase after achievements.

it's really annoying that you can't get the trophies in co-op. i'm against multi only trophies, but single player only trophies in a co-op game are just as bad. i mean really?

Gowans

I should not like this game.

Sick of top down twin stick shooters
I had to grind a level three times
It crashed on me finishing a level

But its just too much fun, I can't put it down.

ArjanN said:
Boo this man.gif

Key word out of that is Single player only.

multiplayer achievements suck, but in a game like this, where I only plan to play it coop, it would be nice to be able to earn those achievements.

I'm playing this on 360 and having a blast but the framerate takes a hit now and then ( co-op ) and I'm getting some audiobugs. Sometimes it sounds like the audio freezes.
Anyone witnessed that too?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Steve McQueen said:
I'm playing this on 360 and having a blast but the framerate takes a hit now and then ( co-op ) and I'm getting some audiobugs. Sometimes it sounds like the audio freezes.
Anyone witnessed that too?
Audio freezes, yes. Didn't encounter anything else; runs fine on the 360.

Firebrand

GMG's current 20% voucher (WORLD-ATWAR-20PEC) seems to be working for Renegade Ops, making a single copy $10 (with $5 in credit back if you have a referral link).

Meisadragon said:
Audio freezes, yes. Didn't encounter anything else; runs fine on the 360.

Mmmm...weird. Gonna try a reinstall. Framerate in co-op is disturbing ( maybe dynamic splitscreen has something to do with it )

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
aku:jiki said:
No problem! Just to confirm, I did succeed in scoring an Alien rank on Hardcore and the 50x is definitely pretty much only doable in HC mode. Haven't gotten that one yet, but the beginning of stage 6 has serious potential for it.

I scored the Alien rank on mission 3 with 8 million points, a 1.2 million streak bonus and zero deaths. The zero deaths is the most important part, it seems, as my high score is closer to 9 million with 2 million streak bonus but that run was only an "insane" rank.

Was hoping to be first to 200 but that guy who's on top of every leaderboard already has it. :(
You are so right. You can chain combos like crazy in Hardcore difficulty. I only played the first level (didn't beat it because I died haha), but now I can see it is totally possible to do it!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Did I mention how great this game is?

Because it is SO DAMN GREAT.

Downloadable game of the year, tied with Bloodrayne anyways.

wouwie

This game is really fun and addictive. Glad i bought it. I'm not good at the game though so i'm only on mission 5 so far. Switched from Armand to Roxy and it seems slightly easier with her special skill (the air strike).

Everytime i play the game, i keep thinking it would be awesome if Avalanche made a top-down racer (like Super Cars on the Amiga) with this engine. I mean, everything is practically there already for this to happen.

BeeDog

This game is awesome fun. I figured the arcade/twin-stick shooter approach to it would become repetitive fast, but it's simply a joy blasting shit up. The new types of enemies that are constantly introduced also help a lot.

JonCha

Demo was awesome and I'm super tempted to get it. I played it on Hardcore, which wasn't crushing but definitely difficult.

Amagon

I'm in love with this game. Feels just like playing Jungle Strike back in the 90s. Nostalgia!!!! I'm just happy I bought it for the 360 and not the PS3. Controls feel right for it on the 360 controller.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ok, I need some tips for chapter 9 (normal diff).

That lift section when you encounter waves of enemies, it's getting on my nerves. Any ideas what to do or what loadout should I use? I am using Diz with EMP.

Meisadragon said:
Ok, I need some tips for chapter 9 (normal diff).

That lift section when you encounter waves of enemies, it's getting on my nerves. Any ideas what to do or what loadout should I use? I am using Diz with EMP.
Circle the platform constantly, shoot tanks in the ass. Have rockets for the latter. That's really it. Same strategy for the boss afterwards; dodge him and shoot helis if you need life.

(This strategy applies to basically every twinstick ever made.)

Icarus

Enjoying it a ton. Had a hard crash at the end of mission 2 that forced a reboot (and a loss of about 30 mins of play though). Could have used a bit more QA it would seem.

I'm on X360 btw.

Top Bottom