• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Ops |OT| PC lesser race finally joins in the battle against oppression

eshwaaz

I'm playing on 360 and really enjoying it, but the microstuttering is pretty bad. It's a shame, as it hurts the otherwise fantastic presentation. It's impressive that the best explosions in recent memory are in a small-ish downloadable game.

loved the demo. after i finish a handful of my PSN games i'll grab this.

this REALLY makes me think that a Desert Strike type game could work on modern consoles. as much as remakes this gen have been a love/hate affair, i'd really like to see a DS (as in Desert Strike, not the handheld) remake in an engine like this. it's got a similar FOV and they could modify the controls to be aim with right stick - R1/R2/L2 to fire the 3 weapon types. L1 or something to drop the ladder.

OMG IM SO HOT FOR THIS RIGHT NOW.

lunchtoast

Great game been enjoying it but damn it has a lot of bugs. Seems like every other game I try to play online it freezes. My roommate was experiencing glitches for his characters where they wouldn't level up or receive upgrades, or his upgrades would get erased.

Every time I exit the game back to xmb it freezes and my PS3 beeps and reboots. There should also be a way to kick players. Too many times everyone would be ready and an play is still on "waiting..." A way to re spawn would be nice too. I've gotten stuck before and had to quit.

Other than that it's a fun game, but fix your shit.

Anyone else been experiencing any problems? PS3 here.

Finaika

lunchtoast said:
Great game been enjoying it but damn it has a lot of bugs. Seems like every other game I try to play online it freezes. My roommate was experiencing glitches for his characters where they wouldn't level up or receive upgrades, or his upgrades would get erased.

Every time I exit the game back to xmb it freezes and my PS3 beeps and reboots. There should also be a way to kick players. Too many times everyone would be ready and an play is still on "waiting..." A way to re spawn would be nice too. I've gotten stuck before and had to quit.

Yeah its quite buggy.

eshwaaz

It's been driving me crazy trying to place the voice of the General, as it sounds so familiar. I think it's the same actor who voiced the main character in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, but it's been a long time.

lunchtoast said:

Yes, add some trophy glitches and a weird menu bug and you pretty much have my experience with the game.

Finished it. A couple of challenging moments, but never on the point of frustrating. Got the trophy glitch lol and only had it freeze on me once just then.

Really nice graphically. Story, name and characters as generic as they come but I can forgive because the gameplay is fun and enjoyable once you get a hang of the vehicles controls.

Love taking down the tanks by revealing it's weak backside and then shielding up readying for it's cannon to hit me but rebound right back at it, destroying it. Glorious!

JonCha

Mission 2 done on Hardcore! Co-op is the best way to play imo, especially two player where you can split the tasks.

SP is solid. I had no microstutter, audio freezes in SP.
MP is a different story however. I think MP is causing the problems.
Great game though.

I did zero research on this game and really had no idea what it was about. Downloaded the demo and had the time of my life, reup'd my PS+ and got this game for the sale price.

Now I miss Just Cause 2 =(

Jamesways

Beat it last night with Diz and that last level was not the easiest. Took me several tries with some trial and error on upgrades.

The ending was very fitting.

LOVE THIS GAME!

BigAT said:
Alright, I'm going to try to get this going. I'm putting together a 4 pack of Renegade Ops with the hope it will be out soon (tomorrow?). Please let me know if you're interested, the discount for doing a 4 pack is absurd as it's a 50% sale essentially.

Edit: Full up.

Unfortunately since I get dinged for fees by PayPal, it will be $8.03 per person that joins up. Unless someone that doesn't get charged fees wants to host, which I would gladly encourage.

I may be interested, depending on when this game comes out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BigAT said:
Alright, I'm going to try to get this going. I'm putting together a 4 pack of Renegade Ops with the hope it will be out soon (tomorrow?). Please let me know if you're interested, the discount for doing a 4 pack is absurd as it's a 50% sale essentially.

Edit: Full up.

Unfortunately since I get dinged for fees by PayPal, it will be $8.03 per person that joins up. Unless someone that doesn't get charged fees wants to host, which I would gladly encourage.
People can send as gift. Paypal balance preferred.
I'm in the clear for fees so I can host if need be.

BigAT

Hazaro said:
People can send as gift. Paypal balance preferred.
I'm in the clear for fees so I can host if need be.

Hazaro
BigAT

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nostalgia~4ever said:
got a 8.5 review on IGN

Hmmm...

The particularly awful dialogue and voice acting will attempt to stymie your enjoyment of Renegade Ops. Orders barked at you by your commanding officer are the kind of needlessly macho drivel that makes you feel dumber for having heard it. Luckily, the fun gameplay withstands the aural onslaught.

SCREW YOU IGN! What the hell is wrong with that reviewer?

Salsa

Seriously. Its like they dont get what they're going for at all, they think they take it seriously or something.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't had any issues with the game (PS3) aside from the 50 combo trophy that glitched for me and unlocked itself when I reached maximum level.

Now that I remember..something hilarious happened to me. I was playing the first level in hardcore difficulty and one of the tanks killed me. Here's the kicker though...I respawned under the tank and it sent my car flying thousands of miles up into the air. At one point I thought I would never stop going up, but in a matter of seconds after thinking that, I dropped all the way down to my death! :lol :lol :lol

It looked so funny. I wish I had recorded it.

eshwaaz said:
I'm playing on 360 and really enjoying it, but the microstuttering is pretty bad. It's a shame, as it hurts the otherwise fantastic presentation. It's impressive that the best explosions in recent memory are in a small-ish downloadable game.
When are you seeing "micro stuttering"? I played through the first chapter on 360 and haven't seen anything weird.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BigAT said:
I actually filled up the 4 pack and bought it already, so you can take me off the list.
Well you suck >:[

Starting a 4 pack

Hazaro
______
______
______

Send as Paypal Gift from Paypal balance preferred.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Downloaded the demo, holy balls it's taking a long time to install!

I'm hoping for a good Desert Strike/Smash TV mash-up!

How long is the game anyway?

Salsa

Meisadragon said:
Well, that complaint is valid. The dialogue is super cheesy.

that's a plus

reviewer is complaining about saying its your usual macho crap.. of course it is, does he have no idea what they are trying to do with this game?

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
that's a plus

reviewer is complaining about saying its your usual macho crap.. of course it is, does he have no idea what they are trying to do with this game?
Watched the quicklook and I loved the dialogue. It is super cheesy, but it fits the game pretty well - it is action flick / over the top cheesy, which is the best cheesy.

Cheesy.

aku:jiki

Damn it, still chasing that elusive 50x chain! I think level 2 is the best bet but you have to plan your path perfectly and know every corner of the map to pull it off... Starting to get annoyed with this part of the game. I want to shoot shit, not draw elaborate maps! :(

Meisadragon said:
Well, that complaint is valid. The dialogue is super cheesy.
The point is that the game is entirely ironic - it's a pretty damn obvious parody of 80's action movies. How the reviewer (and you, no offense) missed that is beyond me. Personally, I think this one's a fairly tired parody that's been done to death, but that's another discussion.

LOL at "needlessly macho drivel." Your review is needlessly pretentious, IGN dude!

Glad to hear everyone's having so much fun with this; not so glad to hear about the bugs. Been checking Steam every day and it's still just listed as coming soon. The day it drops, I'll be right there. Game looked incredible on the Giant Bomb Quick Looks.

BruiserBear said:
When are you seeing "micro stuttering"? I played through the first chapter on 360 and haven't seen anything weird.

My game randomly freezes for a second and makes odd sound. At first it annoyed me but now I just laugh, my friends heard it once and dubbed it the "terminator sound". Happens a number of times per level. Also co op suffers from some serious stuttering when you move away from each other. This may have to do with the dynamic splitscreen style I am using but I don't want to change it....it is a really cool way to have splitscreen setup.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
PC version goes up this friday.

also lol @ complaints of VA. he totally missed the point.

It's like all the people complaining about that other avalanche game's VA.
You'd have to be all kinds of thick not to realise that it is intentional (and that it works)

Why link IGN though, I mean ever.

Mollymauk

Really loving the game, but I crashed at the end of mission 2. Tried it again and crashed in the same spot. Fuuuu.

It saved my experience and my progression, but not my scores. So I'll have an empty hole on my leader board. Sigh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any impressions/expectations for the PC version? Not sure whether to hold off or just get the PS3 version. eg 1080p vs 720p, 360 pad support. local split screen etc..

eshwaaz

Snkfanatic said:
My game randomly freezes for a second and makes odd sound. At first it annoyed me but now I just laugh, my friends heard it once and dubbed it the "terminator sound". Happens a number of times per level.
Same for me, except it continues to annoy me!

Weenerz

Banned
These guys are dropping the ball, at least give us a release date. Makes me hesitate supporting them on PC in the future.

TimmiT

Those asking about the PC version, here's an explanation from a preview by Rock Paper Shotgun before the game was released:
the PC build is arriving a couple of weeks after the console versions. I’m informed this for genuine technical reasons, due to the small team, not skullduggery, and that SEGA/Avalanche are determined to do things right – the PC version will have as-yet-mysterious additional features as well as pumped-up graphics
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/just-cos-renegade-ops-preview/
SEGA didn't do a very good job informing people of this. :/

Top Bottom