• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Ops |OT| PC lesser race finally joins in the battle against oppression

LQX

Already bought on steam but so tempted to also get it for 360 for achievements and easier coop. Been replying the hell out of the demo. I love games like this.

For those that really like this also check Gatlin Gears.

GeoramA

Just the got the 50x Damage Streak Trophy without even trying. I just killed the 4 tanks at the beginning of mission 3 really fast and boom: trophy. Weird.

duffyside said:
So, is anyone actually playing someone other than Roxy? And, if so... WHY!?
Beat the game with Armand and now I'm doing my hardcore run with him. His shield abilty comes in handy against the homing rockets that COMPLETELY RAPES you of your health.

Just wish he was a little faster.

schick85

The 50k Combo trophy has got to be glitched. I got it right after getting the Daily Grind trophy and I wasn't even on a kill streak or anything.

aku:jiki

Jamesways said:
I'm using Gunnar since he's so similar to the old Jackal jeep.
You will probably regret that choice if you plan on doing Hardcore. Standing still with your turret while multiple tanks shoot at you is terrible...

schick85 said:
The 50k Combo trophy has got to be glitched. I got it right after getting the Daily Grind trophy and I wasn't even on a kill streak or anything.
Aw, too bad the achievements on 360 appear to be rock solid. I would've loved to get the 50x for free. :(

Edgeward

I use Diz as well. EMP is nice on the tanks and enemies in general, renders them defenseless as you blast away at them.

Although I will admit my decision was solely based on her looking like the Baroness.

jhawk6

Just completed this. Excellent game it's just so much fun. I really wish the primary objectives were not timed though. I found myself rushing a lot to the point where I was completely driving through and skipping encounters.

legbone

wouwie said:
This game is really fun and addictive. Glad i bought it. I'm not good at the game though so i'm only on mission 5 so far. Switched from Armand to Roxy and it seems slightly easier with her special skill (the air strike).

Everytime i play the game, i keep thinking it would be awesome if Avalanche made a top-down racer (like Super Cars on the Amiga) with this engine. I mean, everything is practically there already for this to happen.

i hadn't thought of that, but you are spot on. a remake of super sprint or even better, stocker, would be glorious on this engine. i love the feel of the driving model.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
schick85 said:
The exact same thing happened to me.

I'm loving the hell out of this game, but I'm also pretty tired of the realistic physics by now. They really should've skipped over those, and above all, they should've just glued the car to the ground. When you're playing casually and just upgrading your character on normal, it's not a problem, but once you go hardcore and try for higher scores and ranks... Man, am I ever tired of losing an awesome 35 streak because I hit a tiny log that was barely visible but which threw my car into a fit of furious Katamari cosplay... :(

Edit: Just realized that maybe this is only a big problem with Roxy... Too late to level up Armand or Diz now!

jhawk6 said:
Just completed this. Excellent game it's just so much fun. I really wish the primary objectives were not timed though. I found myself rushing a lot to the point where I was completely driving through and skipping encounters.
Just keep in mind that only 2 levels really work like that, the first one and one of the african ones. The rest of the levels are far more linear and you hardly ever see the timer then.

duffyside said:
So, is anyone actually playing someone other than Roxy? And, if so... WHY!?
My friend and I both picked her when we co-op'd the game. It's a bloody beautiful thing laying down one air strike after another. :)

GeoramA said:
Just the got the 50x Damage Streak Trophy without even trying. I just killed the 4 tanks at the beginning of mission 3 really fast and boom: trophy. Weird.

Beat the game with Armand and now I'm doing my hardcore run with him. His shield abilty comes in handy against the homing rockets that COMPLETELY RAPES you of your health.

Out of curiosity, how long does his shield stay active?

MushroomSamba said:
Out of curiosity, how long does his shield stay active?
I don't know, but I do know that it doesn't really work like that. The shields go up immediately and you can't shoot when they're up, so rather than pull the shield up and turtle down, you're supposed to just hit it quickly when you notice a missile coming right at you or whatever.

Gunnar's ability should've been just as fast, imo. The fact that it needs to "set the turret up" before you can shoot really kills him as a viable character.

So I can play this on co op over internet on the pc version through the whole campaign? It says competitive on the steam page and I never know that means you are shooting each other in a shitty versus mode with a different name or whether you can play the whole campaign and you just have separate scores.

EDIT: Nevermind, finally got to that part of the quick look...

Just finished the campagin on normal with Armand. The ending comes out of nowhere.

I played the first mission as Gunnar, and his ability is awful.

Ended up buying this on the 360. I have been having a blast playing with some friends, the co op splitscreen is fantastic. Especially if you turn the dynamic splitscreen option on. May even double dip on steam when it goes on sale to play online and get the better graphics.

Jamesways

aku:jiki said:
You will probably regret that choice if you plan on doing Hardcore. Standing still with your turret while multiple tanks shoot at you is terrible...

Aw, too bad the achievements on 360 appear to be rock solid. I would've loved to get the 50x for free. :(

Man, you aren't kidding about Gunnar. It's getting really tough already just on normal.

eshwaaz

Between this and Just Cause 2, Avalanche are really proving themselves to be extremely talented developers. Just Cause 3 announcement soon, please!

Gowans

I had to grind mission 3, it took me 5 times but it's done ;)

Omg!!! I didn't realise I had to equip my upgrades!!!! Argggggggggggg that's why!

Psy-Phi

eshwaaz said:
Between this and Just Cause 2, Avalanche are really proving themselves to be extremely talented developers. Just Cause 3 announcement soon, please!
I'll take another new IP.

I think Just Cause would be better left until the next generation of consoles come, or PC exclusive, but that wouldn't happen.

Actually, I just want to play this game on PC, forget wishful thinking of unannounced titles. Pre-ordered the 4 pack for me and my friends, our bodies are ready.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to get this, but it sounds like its a pretty great game. I really like this type of game, and the demo was great. Reminds me of the old Amiga game, SWIV.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Bought the four-pack on Steam for my boys and I. Can't wait to install and blow shit up.

Still no release date though? And it's supposed to be 'late September?' That kinda has me worried, they better not push it back into next month. :(

Davidion said:
Wait...Jackal?

Are there any other 4-packs on steam in play? Anyone? Anyone?

I just tried to buy a 4 pack an hour ago but my bank + sofort are being douchebags and bugging out on me (apparently a very common problem with my bank and sofort lately) so the payment didn't go through.

Can't be arsed waiting for the slow bank transfer to upload to paypal (shitty fucking bank).

Beh.
I'll try again in a bit if i cba since it seems to be a hit and miss problem, if it works I'll let you know.

Ot: just tried the demo on ps3 since the steam version is taking forever, wow I was not ready for how much fun this is.
Just good old fashioned no frills shoot em up gameplay, very very good.

Jamesways

wastedyears said:
I've been trying to decide whether or not to get this, but it sounds like its a pretty great game. I really like this type of game, and the demo was great. Reminds me of the old Amiga game, SWIV.

I usually don't buy any arcade games on xbla (save for Limbo and Braid), but this game is fantastic.
Brings me back to being a kid playing Jackal.

Which, by the way, looking at youtube videos, it really hasn't aged well. Nostalgia glasses.

sw1tch

Great game, so fun.Anyway, I bought the ps3 version and my highscore doesn't save after I beat a mission, anyone with the same problem?

Elixist

I'm downloading this shit tonite! Been on blackout since i seen first gameplay and I'm pretty excite to play some split screen. PS3 version good? I'd prefer to grab it on that than 360.

Edgeward

360 has micro-stutters while PS3 is solid, is the impressions I read. I can say the PS3 presents no problems graphically, I've had friends get freezes after completing a mission online though and a trophy is glitched.

Elixist

Edgeward said:
360 has micro-stutters while PS3 is solid, is the impressions I read. I can say the PS3 presents no problems graphically, I've had friends get freezes after completing a mission online though and a trophy is glitched.

thank you much for info, i couldve downloaded demos for both, but rather just ask a gaffer

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Edgeward said:
Didn't notice any microstutter on the 360 SP demo. Might get the PC version anyway though.

I don't know about the 360 version, but online play is completely busted on PSN. Constant freezes, crashes, weird score glitches...out of the 5 games I've played, there's been at least one problem in each of them.

The other folks online sort of suck too...I set it on hardcore thinking that it'd be manageable with four of us, but they all die before we're even halfway through a level and I have to complete the entire thing on my own. Unless they patch it, I think I might as well just stick to local coop with people I know.

Daigoro

i finally checked out the demo for this earlier today. i love it as much as i thought i would. felt really good and looks amazing.

i will be buying asap. ive dropped so much cash in the arcade in the past few weeks... wish i had saved some points for this. fucking stealth release. annoying shit.

SapientWolf said:
Didn't notice any microstutter on the 360 SP demo. Might get the PC version anyway though.

i didnt notice any micro stuttering either. there was one point where it sounded like it was going to crash and i got an audio buzzing glitch for a brief moment, but then it was all back to normal.

i was getting weird stuttering with the Bastion demo when i tried it last month though, and havet heard about anyone having problems with the game itself. maybe something to do with certain XBl demos or something.

anyways no micro stutter for me on the 360 version of this game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just finished it. How awesome was that ending? Bwahahah!

Can't wait to play it again with some new characters.

chubigans said:
Just finished it. How awesome was that ending? Bwahahah!

Can't wait to play it again with some new characters.
Fuck that ending, I was so excited then the game taketh away.
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'm waiting for the steam release too so the wait really sucks.

Bought Saturday morning, finished by Saturday evening. SO addictive.

Already started another run with a second character, but thinking I'll probably go back through with my original character soon so I can do a run for Hardcore difficulty and go for the max level trophy too.

Awesome, awesome game though. Avalanche really showing off now.

Those kill combos are hard to keep running, think the highest I've gotten is about x12 now. Though I'm guessing things get more hectic in hardcore too. Going to start some co-op with a mate tonight, so we'll probably give it a go then.

BlueScrote said:
Just finished the campagin on normal with Armand. The ending comes out of nowhere.
really? shit was obvious. still though, the final line(s) of dialogue got a laugh out of me. so cheesy.

GeoramA said:
is there a speed difference between vehicles?

Really enjoying this. Lots of fun. Only niggle is the handling could be better. You kinda get used to it but it's troublesome at times.

Also wish environments/buildings could be more destructive. Shooting them just really makes them crumble.

BTW what's the top level for your character? I'm on 34 now heading onto mission 4 after going back and replaying missions a few times. Playing as the guy with armour. Having bullets/missiles rebound back at the enemies and blowing them up is fun :D

I just thought this was a throwaway PSN title with generic comic book characters and a generic title.

But after reading this thread i just had to try out the demo and then buy it :D Thanks, would have missed it otherwise! It reminds me of Silkworm and SWIV too.

duckroll

WHERE IS GAME ON STEAM ARGH!

cXzAv.jpg

glaurung

Been playing this game on PSN, it's a damn fine piece of action. Too bad very few of my friends have the game on their machines, this baby just begs to be played as co-op and on hardcore mode.

I hope we get some nice additions in terms of new cars and levels as DLC.

Coen

Loving this game on PSN and I'm sure I'll double dip when the christmas Steam sales hit. It did remind me how bad I want a new Blast Corps 'tough. Something about the weight and the mobility of the vehicles remind me of that game.

Top Bottom