• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

The fourth time something hits the news is always the wowest time.

Whoops, didn't notice the new thread. Been busy.

I can't see how keeping their Kickstarter running despite these offers makes the whole ordeal seem double-dealing at all.
Did anyone say it was? At the very least they got some funding offers out of the Kickstarter. I just hope they're venture capitalists and not a traditional publisher.

They're actually on track to surpass Day 1. Wow.

I didn't think voice actors could have more of an impact than announcing PC/Mac ports, but that just goes to show what I know.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kind of hard to believe this was the "thing" they needed but hey, whatever works!

AwShucks

I posted before that I would have been really excited if it wasn't for iOS. I now see it's for PC (and Mac) as well and therefore this will be the first Kickstarter I support.

ArjanN

dailypledges.png
, I r

lol, I refreshed and it jumped up 10K

Very soon, Ryan Payton 500.000 : Haters 0

ArjanN

Surprising. There's not as many backers (279 compared to over 700 from the opening and PC announcement), but it looks like these few backers went for the high reward tiers.

Yeah, and that kicktraq image is 11K behind as well. There were probably a bunch of people upgrading to a higher tier also.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Surprising. There's not as many backers (279 compared to over 700 from the opening and PC announcement), but it looks like these few backers went for the high reward tiers.

heh, this is where it becomes... well... it might be within certain party's best interest to start funelling money into the project to get it over the line. Watching the number of 'high-tier backers' go up over the next week could be interesting.

heh, this is where it becomes... well... it might be within certain party's best interest to start funelling money into the project to get it over the line. Watching the number of 'high-tier backers' go up over the next week could be interesting.

The solution would be for those... parties to place many big pledges now, then at the end remove the ones that aren't needed.

ArjanN

C'mon son.

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Someone took the 5k tier. That probably upped the average pledge by a lot. And a big spike after this announcement is not surprising in the least.

pakkit

Banned
I'm putting in my 60 dollars now. I was going to support this project from the beginning but knowing I could take my time...I took my time.

sixghost

You realize if they did what you are implying, they would basically be forcing their company to pay income tax on money they essentially gave to themselves, right? Not to mention the 9% Kickstarter takes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You realize if they did what you are implying, they would basically be forcing their company to pay income tax on money they essentially gave to themselves, right? Not to mention the 9% Kickstarter takes.

If you think Jennifer Hale and David Hayter were big enough draws to bring in more money than a PC/Mac announcement, more the power to you, friend.

numble

No income tax because it would be a business expense that is tax-deductible. Both when they spend the initial amount and after they get 91% back and spend it on business expenses.

The Kickstarter taxes are not that big. Say there is $200k in the pot ($182k after Kickstarter and Amazon's cut). If you want it, you need to cough up $300k, but you'll get 91% back. So it's paying $27,000 for $182,000. Would you pay someone $27k to get $182k back?

ArjanN

It's just the same dumb baseless accusation you see in every kickstarter thread.

It's actually a terrible idea to do that for a number of reasons. For one, if you get caught you get nothing, and ruin your reputation forever. Whereas if the kickstarter fails normally, Ryan could just start over way a goal of 400k and with the PC/Mac version + Hayter/Hale announced from the start would make that easily.

There is literally no reason for them to cheat.

Zen

Banned
If you think Jennifer Hale and David Hayter were big enough draws to bring in more money than a PC/Mac announcement, more the power to you, friend.

It's def a combination of these 2 things. The Hayter Hale announcement wouldn't have had the impact were it not for the additional platforms. Don't underestimate the fans surrounding these 2 voice actors.

I would donate if I wasn't broke. I'd rather see them able to keep their IP and work how they want to.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's just the same dumb baseless accusation you see in every kickstarter thread.

look, I'm not saying THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE DOING, but a gigantic spike (it looks about 100% larger than the PC/Mac spike) with fewer total new backers than other smaller spikes definitely smells bad. Baseless? No.

I've finally gotten on board.
Not really for Hale/Hayter but because the Hayter news made me click a thread and look more into the game, which in turn got me interested enough to get onboard.

ArjanN

look, I'm not saying THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE DOING, but a gigantic spike (it looks about 100% larger than the PC/Mac spike) with fewer total new backers than other smaller spikes definitely smells bad. Baseless? No.

No you weren't saying it, you were just passive-aggressively implying it.

Do you have any proof? No. So it's baseless.

Like I said someone took one of the $5000 pledges that gets their face in the game and integrated in the fiction, so that raised the average pledge level for today substantially.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
No you weren't saying it, you were just passive-aggressively implying it.

Do you have any proof? No. So it's baseless.

Like I said someone took one of the $5000 pledges that gets their face in the game and integrated in the fiction, so that raised the average pledge level for today substantially.

Only one 5000 dollar pledge, when the previous spike was 22,000 and this one is 52,000? The day before was about 6000.

So yeah, excuse me if I don't throw out the possibility that many are probably thinking.

Haunted

hey now let's all calm down here

Money is money. As long as it's not the company itself backing, it's all within the rules.

You do realize the maximum you can pledge with one account is $10k, right?

ArjanN

Only one 5000 dollar pledge, when the previous spike was 22,000 and this one is 52,000? The day before was about 6000.

So yeah, excuse me if I don't throw out the possibility that many are probably thinking.

Please read more carefully.
The $5000 pledge explains the rise of the AVERAGE pledge today.

The Hayter/hale announcement means you get the attention of both MGS and Mass Effect fans. So that explains the rest of the spike quite easily IMO.

And pledging to yourself doesn't even make sense for the reasons I already gave in my previous post.

Please read more carefully.
The $5000 pledge explains the rise of the AVERAGE pledge today.

The Hayter/hale announcement means you get the attention of both MGS and Mass Effect fans. So that explains the rest of the spike quite easily IMO.

And pledging to yourself doesn't even make sense for the reasons I already gave in my previous post.

It's an interesting theory. There certainly would be nothing stopping them from kicking in the rest so they don't lose it all.

However, that's a pretty steep price they pay Kickstarter to access their own money via that loop.

ArjanN

It's an interesting theory. There certainly would be nothing stopping them from kicking in the rest so they don't lose it all. However, that's a pretty steep price they pay Kickstarter to access their own money via that loop.

Except the fact it's against the rules and if you'd get caught you'd lose all the money and your reputation.

It would make much more sense to just run the same kickstarter again with 300K or 400K as the goal than to secretly try to donate 100k or 200k to this one yourself.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So wait, Payton pretty much says this game is getting made Kickstarter or not, and people still want to support this KS for some odd reason?

It feels so shady...

Putting money in this pot doesn't ensure the game gets made, putting money in doesn't ensure you're getting a better game.. so what's the point?

aeolist

Banned
So wait, Payton pretty much says this game is getting made Kickstarter or not, and people still want to support this KS for some odd reason?

It feels so shady...

Putting money in this pot doesn't ensure the game gets made, putting money in doesn't ensure you're getting a better game.. so what's the point?

Maybe people think the reward tiers are worthwhile?

Akia

It feels so shady...

The cheapest tier on Kickstarter for a copy will be cheaper than the Day 1 price. People pledging for higher level tiers are doing so for the rewards.

It feels so shady...

The Kickstarter succeeding means they get to keep creative control. That's a plus for everyone.

Top Bottom