• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

daegan

hodapp-whut.png

Hope that crow is delicious.

Should be noted I really don't have much against Hodapp. He's an ass for gloating about Republique stalling, but he's also been quite good humoured in all of this. And in the end, his influence meant jack shit, because Republique has met its goal.

What would it matter if I did work there?

Goldmund

well, we have those already from bigger games so no biggie.
The video games industry is a melting pot of the worst story tellers in the world. I can't stop groaning and my eyes are constantly spinning, it's true, but I rarely blame the voice actors.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And here comes the back peddling.

2203947-shitfarterholol.jpg
I like how he seems to think that adding another platform somehow means that the project has "substantially changed course". It's the same damn game and the iOS version is coming at least 6 months ahead, based on their projections.

daegan

I like how he seems to think that adding another platform somehow means that the project has "substantially changed course". It's the same damn game and the iOS version is coming at least 6 months ahead, based on their projections.

NO GAME HAS EVER GOTTEN PORTED BEFORE WITHOUT IT BEING A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME HOW COULD YOU THINK THIS

I also like how GAFers are way more excited about "sticking it to Hodapp" than they are about the game.

I don't think Hodapp loses because you gave $100 to some project out of spite.

skip

Congrats to them, but I think it´s wrong of people to up their pledge just to make them reach the goal. If you want to support it, support it, but find a reasonable level of pledge and stick with that.

No one should feel pressured to pay more just because the project doesn´t seem to reach their goal. That will just lead to dissapointments.

it's their own money. they are the sole judges of that money's value.

it's their own money. they are the sole judges of that money's value.

Yes, yes they are. Expect to see a lot of disappointment down the line.

People are always most excited about a game when it's still a pure fantasy pie in the sky that will fulfill all their dreams.

mclem

NO GAME HAS EVER GOTTEN PORTED BEFORE WITHOUT IT BEING A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME HOW COULD YOU THINK THIS

To be fair to him (and I must highlight the fact that I don't particularly want to!), there was some indication that they were planning to leverage iOS-specific factors in the iOS version, and were looking into adapting those into a more PC-specific design for the PC version. I *do* think the port will be a different game in a few respects - although still the same game at heart.

sixghost

People are always most excited about a game when it's still a pure fantasy pie in the sky that will fulfill all their dreams.

And now we've completed the Kickstarter cycle.
-Game Funded
-"Anyone could make a bunch of money on Kickstarter!"
-"Man people are going to be so disappointed based on these unrealistic expectations that I'm assuming they have."

This Kickstarter is probably the best example there has ever been that a poorly thought out pitch will just about bury you. Go look at the funding trends, until they got their shit together and improved the pitch, the game was getting killed.

People don't expect games to be perfect just because they received Kickstarter money.

dark10x

The game exists and is playable (the press have had hands on time). Unlike most Kickstarters, this was simply a fantasy in the heads of the creators. It's a real game.

Your argument could apply to many other Kickstarters, but NOT this one.

And now we've completed the Kickstarter cycle.
-Game Funded
-"Anyone could make a bunch of money on Kickstarter!"
-"Man people are going to be so disappointed based on these unrealistic expectations that I'm assuming they have."

This Kickstarter is probably the best example there has ever been that a poorly thought out pitch will just about bury you.

If anything, this game is the best example that you barely have to plan out anything. Change platforms mid-stream! Talk some big name voice actors into joining your project 7 days before you're supposed to hit targets! Go on obnoxious twitter campaigns to panhandle that last 50K!

Ugh.

If anything, this game is the best example that you barely have to plan out anything. Change platforms mid-stream! Talk some big name voice actors into joining your project 7 days before you're supposed to hit targets! Go on obnoxious twitter campaigns to panhandle that last 50K!

Ugh.

So which Touch Arcade editor are you?

The game exists and is playable (the press have had hands on time). Unlike most Kickstarters, this was simply a fantasy in the heads of the creators. It's a real game.

Pfff a lot of 'playable' games still get canceled.
It's always good to be realistic and level headed.

But today is the day to celebrate.

dark10x

Ugh.

Factually incorrect.

They did NOT change platforms, they added platforms.

More importantly, and the thing you keep glossing over, THIS GAME EXISTS. It's real, it's playable and people have had hands on.

Pfff a lot of 'playable' games still get canceled.
It's always good to be realistic and level headed.
Often the fault of publishers and/or lack of funding. That's not really an issue here.

Wiktor

And here comes the back peddling.

2203947-shitfarterholol.jpg
Lol...this is glorious...he's either backpedalling and desperately trying to avoid ownage or he's admiting that in his opinion iOS gamers don't give a crap about high quality games on their platform :D

Jhriad

Glad to see they'll make it. I've been checking in the past few days and I was getting worried. Best of luck to the team and I look forward to playing my copy. :)

Ugh.

debbie-downer.jpg

cvxfreak

Heh. When I played Republique in December, it was on a MacBook Pro. :)

Now that it's funded, I look forward to working with Ryan and crew and getting that RE influence in there wherever possible.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Ugh.

They planned out everything. They never changed platform, they added a platform. Also, getting voice actors doesn't happen day one.

Relax dude. I've already had too much salt today.

Glad it's finally funded, been worried about this one. Started with $10.84 contribution, but increased it to $60.84 when Hayter was announced. The iPhone case looks sweet, but no thanks. Now if that same design was an iPad case, then yes fucking please.

mclem

Looks like the next target's in sight; 10000 backers any... second...

NOW!

Next target: $510k, the point where no single backer can screw over the project.

(Next after that, I'd say $520k, because of the two 10k backers. Then $550k, to cover fees)

sixghost

Ugh.

Except that even while doing all that, they barely fucking made it. If they launched strong with all that stuff, they would have reached their goal a couple weeks ago.

mclem

Heh. When I played Republique in December, it was on a MacBook Pro. :)

Now that it's funded, I look forward to working with Ryan and crew and getting that RE influence in there wherever possible.

I have to ask, since I mentioned it in passing earlier when you weren't around: Are you involved partially because you *really* know about static third-person cameras in action games?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
wow, they made it! congrats to everyone as Camouflaj

I'm not saying it was the PC version that did it but... it was the PC version.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Didn't see this coming

good on you guys. The developers and the donaters alike I guess.

Hopefully this will be a pleasant surprise to see on the APP store in a few years

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't contribute, but I'm stickin' around for the saltiness anyways.
It still baffles how people intentionally want things to fail.

I can understand people wanting certain things to fail if it directly influences them or sets a new precedence for something they care about.

But in this case, there's really zero chance that the successful funding of this game affects any uninterested party at all.

zroid

Banned
Heh: http://www.gamesradar.com/republique-kickstarter-saved-gamesradar/

With 48 hours left to go in the fundraising drive, Republique had netted only $337,000 in contributions from their $500,000 goal. So we decided to help them out a little bit and promote the fund with a news story. But we did not know our own strength.

Though donations were coming in at a trickle, they skyrocketed after our news piece went up. The drive soared higher and higher, slowly but surely racking up thousands of dollars every hour. And with just six hours to go, the team finally bested their mark.

Some obviously tongue-in-cheek love :)

Top Bottom