• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

From that same thread

okUWqiV.png

"made me nauseous" lmao no it fucking didn't you twat.

But he said it LITERALLY made him nauseous...it must be true!

"Being Born!"

Seriously, I put that before even reading the replies. Let that pity party commence.

C9aj1gV.jpg

T1VScnH.jpg

ZGYEPlJ.jpg

Ymir

wClqnRX.png

Now they'll all try and 1up each other with the worst fictional childhoods.
Lol “rotten luck”, admits to purposefully sabotaging relationships and said the other day how he enjoys touching people. Can’t imagine why no one would want to be around you, must just be that rotten fucking luck.

Has walrus thrown his sob story into the mix yet? Can’t be trying to be the biggest victim of he’s not playing.

Last edited:
wClqnRX.png

Now they'll all try and 1up each other with the worst fictional childhoods.

John, if you’re reading, let me tell you something, if someone actively wants to get out of your life(that you claim to ruin), then you’re probably just an insufferable cunt who doesn’t have basic social skills.

How about working on that instead of spending 22 hours of your day on a gaming wannabe forum with people that are probably bringing you down as a social being? Because that place is full of people that have no fucking clue on how to be normal. How about that John? Uh?

Reee is just a fucking pity party. That forum should be a subject of study for psychologists.

Green Saber

John, if you’re reading, let me tell you something, if someone actively wants to get out of your life(that you claim to ruin), then you’re probably just an insufferable cunt who doesn’t have basic social skills.

How about working on that instead of spending 22 hours of your day on a gaming wannabe forum with people that are probably bringing you down as a social being? Because that place is full of people that have no fucking clue on how to be normal. How about that John? Uh?

Reee is just a fucking pity party. That forum should be a subject of study for psychologists.
Not a more true thing has been said about that place, seriously there are some very odd people over there, I wonder how many of them even step foot outside in the real world and I mean before the pandemic, they seem so ill-equipped to deal with even some of the most basic things that life can throw at you.

Not a more true thing has been said about that place, seriously there are some very odd people over there, I wonder how many of them even step foot outside in the real world and I mean before the pandemic, they seem so ill-equipped to deal with even some of the most basic things that life can throw at you.

Looking back, I realize how much my habits and views were skewed by staying on Era a lot of the time. I do have social interactions but a very high percentage of my time on the Internet was spent on Era. Few months away from it and I already feel so much better about myself. It's crazy how much of a downer that place is, nearly every thread is full off posts so bad that they just suck out the will to discuss, yet I didn't want to miss out and kept on browsing and posting, albeit in decreasing amounts in the last year. It's not a place that's good for mental health, and while my stay in Era happened to be around a time in my life that thing went really well (for reasons unrelated to the website), I still realize in hindsight how it was pissing me off.

teezzy

Banned
Looking back, I realize how much my habits and views were skewed by staying on Era a lot of the time. I do have social interactions but a very high percentage of my time on the Internet was spent on Era. Few months away from it and I already feel so much better about myself. It's crazy how much of a downer that place is, nearly every thread is full off posts so bad that they just suck out the will to discuss, yet I didn't want to miss out and kept on browsing and posting, albeit in decreasing amounts in the last year. It's not a place that's good for mental health, and while my stay in Era happened to be around a time in my life that thing went really well (for reasons unrelated to the website), I still realize in hindsight how it was pissing me off.

They brainwash ya there, even if it's unintentionally by some. There's an absolute concept of "wrong think" on Era and if you speak out of turn on any subject, you're exiled from the pack. Spend enough time there, and you start parroting a lot of what you read there IRL. Era had me so obsessed with women's rights and fearful of getting #MeToo'd that I absolutely blew my shot with a few women I probably would've scored very well with had I only not had all that nonsense in my head. That place is full of weirdos, and they'll turn you into one too. I'm so glad I'm removed from that community now. I'm still left leaning on plenty of subjects, but I'm not one to REEEEE ever again. I had to learn the hard way.

It's so dangerous because at the end of the day, you're like "I just wanted to talk about video games dude," and even that is warped into 'offensive' somehow. HOW DARE YOU NOT READ A POLITICAL MESSAGE INTO EVERYTHING

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Some of the most absolutely miserable people I've ever seen on the internet post all day on Era. I already started ignoring numerous posters who go into every thread and shit it up with some kind of "humanity is fucked" mantra or forcing some kind of crusade into every topic. So many posters have post histories that are basically combative and cantankerous post histories about everything.

Like I really don't understand what enjoyment they get out of posting like that all the time?

teezzy

Banned
Some of the most absolutely miserable people I've ever seen on the internet post all day on Era. I already started ignoring numerous posters who go into every thread and shit it up with some kind of "humanity is fucked" mantra or forcing some kind of crusade into every topic. So many posters have post histories that are basically combative and cantankerous post histories about everything.

Like I really don't understand what enjoyment they get out of posting like that all the time?

The people like that don't leave the house much.

I stopped posting and lurking on the actual site long ago, but the disparity between Era and the three of their related Discords I'm on are vast. Every so often there's a member who is super "Era-brained", but they tend to get ignored by the Discord communities when they go on their rantings. For the the most part though, you'd be shocked the discussions that are had there that'd immediately result in a ban on Era. Plenty of CDPR hype and nobody gives a flying frick about whatever transgressions CDPR have been accused of. Lots of banter about hot women too. They've largely separated themselves from the site and became their own thing.

I'm likely the most right leaning person on all three Discords, but I'll engage in most political discussions there as earnestly as I can without outing myself as a leper. I find it's more important to get people to question their viewpoints more than it is for me to convince them of my own. At the end of the day, GAF is home though. I love the community here more than all three of those Discord servers combined. I'm allowed to be myself here 100%. Sometimes I can't even feel that way around friends and family IRL.

Last edited:

Magik85

"Being Born!"

Seriously, I put that before even reading the replies. Let that pity party commence.

C9aj1gV.jpg

T1VScnH.jpg

ZGYEPlJ.jpg

You guys can always fix that mistake :messenger_sunglasses:

Saruhashi

Banned

Of course. It's supposed to be a gaming forum after all. Yet you have to talk about gaming in a very specific and narrow way and any kind of fun you might have must also take place within set parameters.

I can't imagine why people stay there when at any moment discussion about a game could break out into harassment and a round of bans.

Of course. It's supposed to be a gaming forum after all. Yet you have to talk about gaming in a very specific and narrow way and any kind of fun you might have must also take place within set parameters.

I can't imagine why people stay there when at any moment discussion about a game could break out into harassment and a round of bans.

Wall of text incoming, but I can tell you why I joined and stayed. I know for a fact this is the experience of a lot of people as I know several users (or ex-users) in my situation.

Personally, I just joined Gaf months prior to the schism, and while I never nuked my Gaf account (seen no reason to), I moved where the communities I was in did and never really needed to look back, considering the post numbers. As a rather left-leaning person myself, the existence of such a website made a lot of sense for me, too: a gaming forum where discussion isn't led by prepubescent kids spouting offensive shit and low-level console warring stuff sounded good to me. Not saying Gaf was that, but the vast majority of the Internet is exactly that. Plus, on a psychological level, it was cool to be there for a hot new forum from day one instead of having to slowly fit into a decade plus existing community.

In the first weeks I discussed with some staff members about changes I'd like to see, and they seemed receptive. I've made a lot of threads, participated in tons of discussions and OTs, did Secret Santa and giveaways, and so on. But as time went by, discussions became more streamlined, suggestions were now starting to get ignored, all metacommentary was heavily discouraged and punished, staff started responding unless you knew them on Discord (which I joined fairly late). On top of that, most of the better staff members left, and some of the most prominent mods and admins remaining were insufferable folks who'd get away with rather offensive and terrible posts, only to be defended by the others. When a mod posts an islamophobic post or a "lol but Epic Store is only a storefront", things normal users regularly get banned for, and said staff member gets defended by the others, you realize something's terribly off.

So I slowly started staying out of threads that were trouble, where you get piled on for the wrong opinion or even the wrong taste, and I realized that my massive post count (I think it was a 40 posts per day average at one point) was slowly decreasing. I still believed the place was not lost, and I kept contacting staff, reporting what shouldn't be happening on the forum, openly discussing issues of the forum on the forum itself. They ignored me once, twice, 25 times. I got more frustrated and started criticizing mods more heavily, even on Discords, something a mod eventually leaked to admins when they stealth-changed my 1 month ban for criticizing mods into a permaban justified by that and that I'm apparently transphobic for posting an anti-transphobe copypasta 2 years earlier in a shitposting thread, regardless of my hundreds/thousands of other posts showing very clearly where I stand.

I still believe that Era was great when it started, and that such a place has a reason to exist. A lot of gaming communities are not welcoming to anyone who isn't toxic, let alone a woman or a minority. But Era managed to become a place where diversity isn't celebrated or welcomed, as they only allow anybody to have a single opinion and view on the world. Even if you're from an ethnic minority, a gay person, a migrant, you have to think and like the things the US-based staff of the website considers the absolute truth. As if racism, equality, wages, etc. can be discussed with the same guidelines if you come from the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Norway, UK, South Africa, Morocco, Ghana, Japan, China, South Korea, Australia.

And it's not even about enforcing very liberal views: a good chunk of the staff happily spouts right-leaning stuff because they can, others can't. Not to mention the mods who literally insult the forum members and openly mock them on the Discords and the fact they spend half of their posting complaining about how they don't get paid. It's not a job and it's not mandatory, there's the door if they think it's degrading and tiring. But they know they're treated as VIPs in there and they can get away with trash tier posts and banning who they not like. They love the clout. The basis of the website is long gone, it's about staff needing to mantain their status without others questioning them, and deciding in advance what can be discussed and what can't is their selected way of enforcing this level of control.

My permaban was definitely coming, had it not been given I probably would have written a long post where I effectively flip off the staff for good and get myself kicked out. Because I reported a toxic community for the 15th time to no answer, because I contacted staff to no answer, because all the suggestions and good I ever did on the website had no lasting effect. And yet it was the users like me that kept being painted in the wrong, that kept getting banned for merely speaking up against the moderation team telling us to "contact them" which never goes anywhere.

I was initially bummed and angry that they permabanned me, but in hindsight it's a good thing, I enjoy making fun of the increasingly terrible level of discussion that's been going down since I was forced to leave. The smoking Series X thread, the recent CDPR threads and some of the election night posting have been some of the lowest moments in the site's already questionable reputation, so it's fun to see them literally destroy themselves to things we warned them about and that we got banned for. I'm happy a lot of the decent folks from the better days of Era are now posting here, I've been missing the interactions with them.

Era is visibly losing steam if you look at the amount of active users and threads created compared to a year or two ago, and the website fucking deserves it. A community where staff wants to dictate their every opinion as fact and are uninterested in listening to suggestions can only ever go this way, as they slowly chased away all good insiders, all good developers, all good regular posters and all decent staff members. Nearly every remaining site VIP is part of the problem. It was hard to leave all that behind initially for all the OTs and better parts of the community I was involved with, but by now all the good communities moved to alternative forums or Discords, so the rest of the site can keep its steady yet inevitable decline.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yui's Empire Yui's Empire Reset was never going to be the Promised Land. It was founded on a heap of lies and is nothing more than a cash grab for the perpetually absent owner. A few initial months of good will from the formative Utopian idealism, largely on the back of scapegoating someone for all of the community's perceived problems up to that point, isn't capable of producing positive long-term outcomes on its own. Competence, putting in the work, and effectively drawing in the right people makes for a good community. I see nothing but the opposite of those attributes over there.

Glad you're feeling better since leaving, at any rate.

Saruhashi

Banned
Wall of text incoming, but I can tell you why I joined and stayed. I know for a fact this is the experience of a lot of people as I know several users (or ex-users) in my situation.

Personally, I just joined Gaf months prior to the schism, and while I never nuked my Gaf account (seen no reason to), I moved where the communities I was in did and never really needed to look back, considering the post numbers. As a rather left-leaning person myself, the existence of such a website made a lot of sense for me, too: a gaming forum where discussion isn't led by prepubescent kids spouting offensive shit and low-level console warring stuff sounded good to me. Not saying Gaf was that, but the vast majority of the Internet is exactly that. Plus, on a psychological level, it was cool to be there for a hot new forum from day one instead of having to slowly fit into a decade plus existing community.

In the first weeks I discussed with some staff members about changes I'd like to see, and they seemed receptive. I've made a lot of threads, participated in tons of discussions and OTs, did Secret Santa and giveaways, and so on. But as time went by, discussions became more streamlined, suggestions were now starting to get ignored, all metacommentary was heavily discouraged and punished, staff started responding unless you knew them on Discord (which I joined fairly late). On top of that, most of the better staff members left, and some of the most prominent mods and admins remaining were insufferable folks who'd get away with rather offensive and terrible posts, only to be defended by the others. When a mod posts an islamophobic post or a "lol but Epic Store is only a storefront", things normal users regularly get banned for, and said staff member gets defended by the others, you realize something's terribly off.

So I slowly started staying out of threads that were trouble, where you get piled on for the wrong opinion or even the wrong taste, and I realized that my massive post count (I think it was a 40 posts per day average at one point) was slowly decreasing. I still believed the place was not lost, and I kept contacting staff, reporting what shouldn't be happening on the forum, openly discussing issues of the forum on the forum itself. They ignored me once, twice, 25 times. I got more frustrated and started criticizing mods more heavily, even on Discords, something a mod eventually leaked to admins when they stealth-changed my 1 month ban for criticizing mods into a permaban justified by that and that I'm apparently transphobic for posting an anti-transphobe copypasta 2 years earlier in a shitposting thread, regardless of my hundreds/thousands of other posts showing very clearly where I stand.

I still believe that Era was great when it started, and that such a place has a reason to exist. A lot of gaming communities are not welcoming to anyone who isn't toxic, let alone a woman or a minority. But Era managed to become a place where diversity isn't celebrated or welcomed, as they only allow anybody to have a single opinion and view on the world. Even if you're from an ethnic minority, a gay person, a migrant, you have to think and like the things the US-based staff of the website considers the absolute truth. As if racism, equality, wages, etc. can be discussed with the same guidelines if you come from the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Norway, UK, South Africa, Morocco, Ghana, Japan, China, South Korea, Australia.

And it's not even about enforcing very liberal views: a good chunk of the staff happily spouts right-leaning stuff because they can, others can't. Not to mention the mods who literally insult the forum members and openly mock them on the Discords and the fact they spend half of their posting complaining about how they don't get paid. It's not a job and it's not mandatory, there's the door if they think it's degrading and tiring. But they know they're treated as VIPs in there and they can get away with trash tier posts and banning who they not like. They love the clout. The basis of the website is long gone, it's about staff needing to mantain their status without others questioning them, and deciding in advance what can be discussed and what can't is their selected way of enforcing this level of control.

My permaban was definitely coming, had it not been given I probably would have written a long post where I effectively flip off the staff for good and get myself kicked out. Because I reported a toxic community for the 15th time to no answer, because I contacted staff to no answer, because all the suggestions and good I ever did on the website had no lasting effect. And yet it was the users like me that kept being painted in the wrong, that kept getting banned for merely speaking up against the moderation team telling us to "contact them" which never goes anywhere.

I was initially bummed and angry that they permabanned me, but in hindsight it's a good thing, I enjoy making fun of the increasingly terrible level of discussion that's been going down since I was forced to leave. The smoking Series X thread, the recent CDPR threads and some of the election night posting have been some of the lowest moments in the site's already questionable reputation, so it's fun to see them literally destroy themselves to things we warned them about and that we got banned for. I'm happy a lot of the decent folks from the better days of Era are now posting here, I've been missing the interactions with them.

Era is visibly losing steam if you look at the amount of active users and threads created compared to a year or two ago, and the website fucking deserves it. A community where staff wants to dictate their every opinion as fact and are uninterested in listening to suggestions can only ever go this way, as they slowly chased away all good insiders, all good developers, all good regular posters and all decent staff members. Nearly every remaining site VIP is part of the problem. It was hard to leave all that behind initially for all the OTs and better parts of the community I was involved with, but by now all the good communities moved to alternative forums or Discords, so the rest of the site can keep its steady yet inevitable decline.

Such a great post. Very insightful.

I do think they tend to be very USA-centric but a lot of the Internet is like that these days.

The thing that I always found frustrating was that certain ideas are just not able to be challenged there.

In my actual life I am considered a "lefty" by friends and family. Atheist, pro choice, pro same sex marriage etc etc. On most issues I'd be on the left. I am very secure in my beliefs and so I don't need to "deplatform" people who don't feel the same way. I hear them out and disagree. Easy.

HOWEVER, I'm not just going to be told what I can think or what I can say. If I think CDPR haven't done much wrong or Kingdom Come Deliverance was not made by Nazis or I am fine with THQ Nordic issuing an apology for the 8chan thing and moving on then I should be able to say so. If I have probing questions about issues then I want to be able to ask them and not be told to basically shut up and let the mob have their way.

Thats a big problem with them because they just can't allow posters to give an opinion that they think is somehow dangerous without issuing a ban.

It really, really, disturbs me that they seem to have the ear of the videogame industry. Its always disappointing to see some insider posting there or to see the lads from Gamexplain or Digital Foundry kissing ass on the forum. Always makes me wonder what things would look like in 10 years if publishers and developers are pandering to that mob.

Last edited:

thefool

(some) Americans are exactly what burgers mock about pajeets on boards. They take control and think everything is about them. Don't be offended by this post :messenger_beaming:

I do understand why many feel like they don't have their own space and actually want to talk about anglo shit with their own tho. Maybe we are the intruders in several communities.

I think gaf compromise putting politics in a different section is great and filters a lot of bullshit (even if 99% of it is more burger stuff). One of the reasons I stopped using era was seeing frequent threads about something in bumfuck alabama or some shit.

nush

the perpetually absent owner.

He's done that before as well, I'm not going to be able to find the link now but I did read a post from someone that was an admin of a small forum Cerium used to run who said he just vanished and only occasionally popped up with an instruction for a change. Like he wasn't even there at all despite being the owner.

on Era Cerium ran away as soon as the trans community that forum panders to turned on the mods.

cormack12

Gold Member
Waiting for the era thread/brigade - of course it was transphobia.....

Yaniv was “tentatively accepted” to the pageant but the business had a formal policy stating only genetic females, or transgender women who had fully transitioned, were allowed to be contestants, the Justice Centre said.

When Yaniv was “reminded” of the policy, she filed a complaint alleging the pageant company engaged in discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression and sex.

dWpz08.jpg

nush

dWpz08.jpg

The whole world doesn't react like the emporors new clothes and they know it. Some of these trans insert themselves into situations knowing they will be rejected so they can get attention becuse of "Transphobia". It would be like if I tried to enter Mr Universe or The Worlds strongest man and getting rejected because... oh wait, I'm a cis white male so there's no discrimination.

Go and make a trans beauty pageant then.

Senua

Gold Member

ivan.k

dWpz08.jpg

If you are fully transitioned then yes, you are trans. If you are just a man in a dress and call himself a woman, bi or other shit then you are retarded and deserve everything that happens to you

Last edited:

Ymir

So... apparently you can't invest in the stock market if you're an environmentalist? What the fuck are these abstract rules they make up that have nothing to do with anything?

zxNwEht.png

Pidull

Yui's Empire Yui's Empire I don't blame you for leaving and following the community, I myself followed the community because that was the unfortunate choice most of the major contributors took. The difference for me is that I thought it was highly suspect that a brand new site with tons of features was 100% up and running within a couple of days of the implosion, and the entire reason for cancelling GAF was such an extreme reaction.

Of course, I had lurked on GAF without an account for years prior (unlike yourself it seems), and I had observed the slow destruction of it first-hand. I knew what kind of users were pushing for ERA to be a utopian community and their toxicity was the reason I never made an account at ERA. I continued to visit GAF regularly with the hopes of seeing it come back.

At first, prospects were grim. Basically no one remained, and all the news I once came for was gone in an instant. I recall how it felt like an eternity until EviLore EviLore commented on the whole situation too, even though it was probably less than a handful of days from when shit hit the fan.

The dogpiling that occurs in basically every thread on ERA today was the response to Evilore's statement, and those who tried to defend him were also attacked. No one should be surprised that ERA has devolved into its current state based on what happened then, claims of more "open" moderation don't matter when there's only one "correct" way of thinking on a subject.

I remember being really happy when Evilore announced all the changes that were going to come in the aftermath of the great schism. He accepted accountability that he was too hands off in the management of the site, he laid out a clear vision for what GAF needed to focus on being, and most importantly he implemented it and he stuck to it for years. Unlike ERA's founding principles, he understood that the freedom to be able to openly discuss individual opinions mattered, and that moderation is there to protect from harassment, not to control the direction of discussion.

From that point on, GAF has been on a clear upward trajectory, and with the elections this year cranking up wrongthink rhetoric at an alarming rate, it's comforting to me that at the same time GAF's user base has exploded. Knowing that there are so many others recognizing that something is deeply wrong with how most online communities are being moderated is a massive relief.

Tangent: I came to GAF because Kotaku basically took all of its news from the forums, and I loved how up to date Kotaku was on gaming news (articles up within a couple hours of new news). Odd how Kotaku doesn't even seem to post any news anymore, I miss GAF > Kotaku > GAF threads.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cancel “society must improve” guy he sounds pike
So... apparently you can't invest in the stock market if you're an environmentalist? What the fuck are these abstract rules they make up that have nothing to do with anything?

zxNwEht.png
lol these fucking death cultists have a bigger apocalypse fixation than any evangelical i have ever met.

i mean if you believe that money will end humankind why aren't you burning your "extra income" in a massive pile in the street. you fuckin phony? how long was he hoarding this money for his own selfish reasons before he remembered that he believes in this silly fantasy.

like "yeah im going to bitch about sustainability while hoarding money personally" wow way to go dude, and now you are asking strangers for directions? these aren't activists with convictions, they are privileged imbeciles with holes in their pockets. the Holy Roman Empire would sell a way to wash away your sins with Indulgences, the modern church of corporate wokeness is apparently offering the same deal! "spend your money right and your guilt shall be lifted, and you will save the world!"

i love how you really believe all of humankind will end unless you personally spend your money correctly. like holy shit corporations have brainwashed these morons, Green New Deal has done a number on these mongoloids. yes the world will end unless we give money to the right people. (coincidentally the same people who have supposedly doomed the world and all of humankind, but don't think about that!)

the capitalists have fucking won and none of these useful idiots even realize it. even with this bullshit environmentalist-apocalyptic fantasy, they think they can just buy their way out of that. no personal lifestyle changes needed. just give the money to the right person. but also money is the root of all evil and investing will doom mankind. like holy shit, none of this makes any sense.

Last edited:
As a rather left-leaning person myself

Nobody's perfect. {insert evilore/Obama.jpg} - :messenger_winking_tongue:

A simple lesson I learned a long time ago. If you want to live longer and be happier, don't discuss Religion and Politics with strangers on the internet. There is a 99% chance you will not sway a person to your line of thinking. The 1% you can change you really would not want on your team in the first place.

TVexperto

Yui's Empire Yui's Empire I don't blame you for leaving and following the community, I myself followed the community because that was the unfortunate choice most of the major contributors took. The difference for me is that I thought it was highly suspect that a brand new site with tons of features was 100% up and running within a couple of days of the implosion, and the entire reason for cancelling GAF was such an extreme reaction.

Of course, I had lurked on GAF without an account for years prior (unlike yourself it seems), and I had observed the slow destruction of it first-hand. I knew what kind of users were pushing for ERA to be a utopian community and their toxicity was the reason I never made an account at ERA. I continued to visit GAF regularly with the hopes of seeing it come back.

At first, prospects were grim. Basically no one remained, and all the news I once came for was gone in an instant. I recall how it felt like an eternity until EviLore commented on the whole situation too, even though it was probably less than a handful of days from when shit hit the fan.

The dogpiling that occurs in basically every thread on ERA today was the response to Evilore's statement, and those who tried to defend him were also attacked. No one should be surprised that ERA has devolved into its current state based on what happened then, claims of more "open" moderation don't matter when there's only one "correct" way of thinking on a subject.

I remember being really happy when Evilore announced all the changes that were going to come in the aftermath of the great schism. He accepted accountability that he was too hands off in the management of the site, he laid out a clear vision for what GAF needed to focus on being, and most importantly he implemented it and he stuck to it for years. Unlike ERA's founding principles, he understood that the freedom to be able to openly discuss individual opinions mattered, and that moderation is there to protect from harassment, not to control the direction of discussion.

From that point on, GAF has been on a clear upward trajectory, and with the elections this year cranking up wrongthink rhetoric at an alarming rate, it's comforting to me that at the same time GAF's user base has exploded. Knowing that there are so many others recognizing that something is deeply wrong with how most online communities are being moderated is a massive relief.

Tangent: I came to GAF because Kotaku basically took all of its news from the forums, and I loved how up to date Kotaku was on gaming news (articles up within a couple hours of new news). Odd how Kotaku doesn't even seem to post any news anymore, I miss GAF > Kotaku > GAF threads.
You wrote out excactly what I thought. Great post.
Im happy GAF is still alive and kicking, I didnt know about EvilLores statement, happy to see GAF being better tha never. Do you have a link to that statement?

also can someone post this on on ERA pls? (found on reddit)

cle4sf9c70261.jpg

Pidull

You wrote out excactly what I thought. Great post.
Im happy GAF is still alive and kicking, I didnt know about EvilLores statement, happy to see GAF being better tha never. Do you have a link to that statement?
Sorry, I don't, not even sure if it still exists.

It's just nice to see a better GAF, the site is feeling more and more like how it felt from 2007-2015 IMO.

TVexperto

Lets see how long it will stay up.. "new news new thread"

Senua

Gold Member

Thread seems to be chugging along fine to me

walking_time_bomb_md_wm.gif

TriSuit666

Banned

Once you realise that in the long run Internet forums don’t matter, it becomes the easiest thing in the world to walk away from them.

And it's already derailed. Took longer than I anticipated, Era be slacking.

teezzy

Banned
I was actually able to enjoy a lengthy discussion with a full blown socialist on an Era Discord last night about capitalism vs. socialism, and the BLM movement. We both sorta just explored one another's viewpoints as respectfully as possible and agreed to disagree. We both agreed that had that discussion been held on a site like Era itself it wouldve resulted in a shit storm, and we both appreciated just sitting down and discussing such differing viewpoints. Then we shot shit about our media interests we had in common. Funny how that can work.

Senua

Gold Member
I was actually able to enjoy a lengthy discussion with a full blown socialist on an Era Discord last night about capitalism vs. socialism, and the BLM movement. We both sorta just explored one another's viewpoints as respectfully as possible and agreed to disagree. We both agreed that had that discussion been held on a site like Era itself it wouldve resulted in a shit storm, and we both appreciated just sitting down and discussing such differing viewpoints. Then we shot shit about our media interests we had in common. Funny how that can work.
LividConsciousCondor-size_restricted.gif

Ymir

Holy shit they nuked the entire thread, link doesn't even work anymore. lol

teezzy

Banned
Were you under the impression that it couldn't work before that? I'll happily engage with anyone I don't agree with on certain topics and I couldn't understand the thought process of not trying to engage, again and again.

No, I was being cheeky lol.

Still, impressive for an Era related Discord, given the reputation of the community. Ultimately the general consensus we'd reached was that a lot of those ideas seem nice but I kept bringing home the point that human beings are too flawed and don't all just magically get along and maintain productivity like that. It's against our nature. They even admitted that in a lot of their social circles where they'd attempted whatever sorta commune stuffz that there was always someone who was a dickhead and took advantage of the situation, etc. I was also able to admit that I'm too self-centered and misanthropic to ever be on board with something like that, and I'm not alone in that belief.

The individual I discussed with noted that they had an entire bookshelf full of leftist political literature, and that if they were ever to be 100% earnest about their views, they'd likely be permed from Era. I found that interesting, so I started the discussion from there. Very well-read individual, tbh. I appreciated their input. Not just the typical person who claims to be down with that ideology because it's become fashionable, like a few people I know IRL have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom