• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Teknoman

The skills system is poorly implemented. The first time it comes into play you are already about 2 hours in. Then you only see the skills page after each chapter, these are huge so its not like RE4 or RE5 where you are constantly upgrading. Plus like many said its best to just focus on three of them.

That awesome constant sense of growing as a character is gone in this game. Managing your guns was a pretty big part of both RE4/5 and this skills system is an extremely poor substitute. I think it will work great in Mercs, but it probably should have stayed there.

I think character growth satisfaction will come from mastering the evasive action system more than anything else in 6. Really is like playing an RE cutscene at times.

Jawmuncher

Yeah the 3's and 4's I've seen are downright fucking ludicrous. This is a decent and enjoyable game. While the issues could impair someone or their desire to prevail, once you do get the game down to a T, it's a fucking blast and one of the most enjoyable things I've played in a while.

It is a very loose game and I somewhat get what Capcom were trying to accomplish in order to distinguish itself (which it has, for good or bad) from the rest of the games. However, they need to tighten the reigns for RE7 and give the game more time in the oven when it's needed.

Despite Capcom being a rather laughable company nowadays, I think they might learn from RE6 for the future, FOR the better.

Completely agree.
They seemed to throw a lower score at it just so they could stir up some controversy.

Teknoman

Yeah the 3's and 4's I've seen are downright fucking ludicrous. This is a decent and enjoyable game. While the issues could impair someone or their desire to prevail, once you do get the game down to a T, it's a fucking blast and one of the most enjoyable things I've played in a while.

It is a very loose game and I somewhat get what Capcom were trying to accomplish in order to distinguish itself (which it has, for good or bad) from the rest of the games. However, they need to tighten the reigns for RE7 and give the game more time in the oven when it's needed.

Despite Capcom being a rather laughable company nowadays, I think they might learn from RE6 for the future, FOR the better.

Well to be honest, none of their games...even last gen were without fault. Its just...I guess no one else was really trying anything different, so Capcom was the only place to go. I could go back and find flaws in the Onimusha series, God Hand, Maximo, or even Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe. But regardless, they were all fun to play, and offered a pretty cool experience to those that tried to master whatever unique gameplay they offered.

gconsole

That's why I said in the review thread that this game is the victim of journalist ego. This game is a very least, fun. The problem the reviewer raise are tiny compare to the size what it has offer. Surely it might not deserve to be the sequel to one of the best game of all time RE4. But it's an enjoyable game. If people can mindlessly shoot zombie in Left for Dead and have fun then why not this game. I have no idea, and seriously lost faith in all those review.

And I'm not saying this because I'm the fan of the game. I'm not trying to find the reason to enjoy it. It's fun because it's fun. Don't know what people nowadays want.

*Hate QTE though lol.

Feindflug

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I'm gonna do a marathon tonight.

BTW guys what camera and aiming settings are you using? lowering sensitivity for the camera is recommended? I played the demo quite a few times but didn't experiment that much with these settings.

Also if anyone could summarize all the new additions and moves it would've been really helpful - things like dodge, quick shot, quick item combine e.t.c. will be a cool addition to the OP I think...maybe Sectus, News Bot or Dusk can help us. :)

Teknoman

I cant lie...I like qtes sometimes, but I do think some are too hard to complete on pro difficulty. They take too many rapid movements (rotating the stick, etc.) to actually match the bar. Now the normal push button QTE? I'm fine with.

EDIT: I'm finding a combo of classic and new controls work best. Classic attack controls paired with new aiming & laser sight for me. What use is Leon's knife again?

Carbonox

Regarding sensitivity, camera, etc. I've been keeping them at default. Would it be recommended to switch it up and are there better settings to switch to?

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I'm gonna do a marathon tonight.

BTW guys what camera and aiming settings are you using? lowering sensitivity for the camera is recommended? I played the demo quite a few times but didn't experiment that much with these settings.

Also if anyone could summarize all the new additions and moves it would've been really helpful - things like dodge, quick shot, quick item combine e.t.c. will be a cool addition to the OP I think...maybe Sectus, News Bot of Dusk can help us. :)

I use Camera: 4, Aiming: 6. I've seen a bunch of players recommend camera speed less than 5, aiming speed more than 5.

I suggested the same thing regarding a moves list in the OT back in the demo thread. Players who don't roll, slide, quick shot, etc... are going to have a horrible time with the game. Here's a quick list:

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim while sprinting - Slide (Will stun enemies. Can slide into cover and keep Aim held down to stay in cover)
-Slide+left stick down - 180 slide
-Sprint+Melee - dash attack
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick. Can simply duck if not holding a direction. Can cancel duck into a dodge)
-Hold Heal and reload - Reload pill container
-(Jake's Hand to Hand) Hold Aim until target is acquired, then mash Melee - Three hit combo
-(Knives only) While aiming, left stick down+Melee - Stab attack
-Y/Triangle while aiming certain weapons - Select fire mode
*Can quick shot with knives and grenades
*Stagger system still in effect. Headshot a humanoid enemy to stagger them, then perform a contextual melee (front or back) for massive damage.

I might have forgotten some but it's a start.

Jawmuncher

I use Camera: 4, Aiming: 6. Though the general consensus seems to be camera speed<5, aiming speed>5.

I suggested the same thing regarding a moves list in the OT back in the demo thread. Players who don't roll, slide, quick shot, etc... are going to have a horrible time with the game. Here's a quick list:

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim while sprinting - Slide (Will stun enemies. Can slide into cover and keep Aim held down to stay in cover)
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick)
-(Jake's Hand to Hand) Hold Aim until target is acquired, then mash Melee - Three hit combo
-(Knives only) While aiming, left stick down+Melee - Stab attack*Can quick shot with knives

As in aim down or press L3 didnt know about this.

I use Camera: 4, Aiming: 6. I've seen a bunch of players recommend camera speed less than 5, aiming speed more than 5.

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick)
*Can quick shot with knives

Damn it. Finished the whole game without knowing some of this shit. LOL. Also never knew about the herb shortcut.

Feindflug

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
*Can quick shot with knives

Thanks a lot! ^_^

Signed up for RE.net before playing the game and just tried entering my verification code and got this error message:

Error Failed to connect to (X0002) XBoxLive. I hope the procedure again at a later time.

Anyone else been getting the same error?

Also might be worth noting that you can quick shot with grenades too.

For 360 players - You may occasionally try to dodge quickly by pressing both LT and A at the same time, resulting in a duck instead of a roll if LT isn't fully pressed when you hit A. When this happens, just press A a second time to cancel out of the roll into a dodge.

Sojgat

Starting to feel that the horizontal resetting of the dash camera is really adding to the motion sickness, the one option not available is to set it to vertical only (y'know like every other game). Damn it Capcom.

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick. Can simply duck if not holding a direction. Can cancel duck into a dodge)
*Stagger system still in effect. Headshot a humanoid enemy to stagger them, then perform a contextual melee (front or back) for massive damage.

Many thanks for this list, I wasn't aware you could do stuff like the 180 slide (and I can think of many times when I needed it) so its handy to know it is in there.

Sojgat

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot

I would also add that the knives are really useful:

-Leon - Lt +A + left or right on the stick gives a sidestep/dodge which really helps with countering

-Chris - Lt + A + back does a multi quick slash with the blade

-There are also directional attacks rather then just the default slash when holding Lt and pressing Rt + back or forward at the same time

There really should be a hotswap command for the Melee weapons, controls are so complicated there might actually be one and I don't know about it

Edit: it's fixed now, but I wrote something wrong

The camera is so bad that I literally feel nauseous playing it. How much more thought do I need to put into it than that?

Maybe that...

1. You can reduce the sensitivity

2. Most other people don't have that problem with it

3. The camera making YOU nauseous doesn't make it the worst game of the year

IDK, that would be a start

Sojgat

This is a frontrunner for worst game of 2012. What was Capcom thinking?

I totally understand this point of view, I basically gave a hate speech on it when I first started the game, but its' so good once you know all the combat tricks. It's an acquired taste and Capcom have made so many little mind blowing mistakes with it, but it is in no way as bad as it seems at first. The camera is the biggest problem and needs to be addressed as soon as possible by the devs.

Other thing is the QTE's, for the grapple ones ignore the prompts, just wiggle both sticks and hammer A as soon as an enemy jumps you, meter will be half full by the time the prompt comes up.

That's why I said in the review thread that this game is the victim of journalist ego. This game is a very least, fun. The problem the reviewer raise are tiny compare to the size what it has offer. Surely it might not deserve to be the sequel to one of the best game of all time RE4. But it's an enjoyable game. If people can mindlessly shoot zombie in Left for Dead and have fun then why not this game. I have no idea, and seriously lost faith in all those review.

And I'm not saying this because I'm the fan of the game. I'm not trying to find the reason to enjoy it. It's fun because it's fun. Don't know what people nowadays want.

*Hate QTE though lol.

What? The size of the game does not excuse issues some people might have with it, that notion is ridiculous. No game should get points for throwing everything at the wall. And if you've read all the criticism and your argument boils down to "why can't people just enjoy shooting zombies mindlessly like L4D," I think you've missed something.

It's mind boggling that people complain about the 7-10 scale, then complain when anything lower than 7 is used.

Sojgat

This is just plain incorrect. I've been playing as Chris and I can see everything just fine...

He is correct, and you are wrong, Chris's camera is different than the others for all but one chapter of his campaign. It's way too close in all the others.

Leon's, and Jake's cameras zoom out to the same FOV for some of their chapters. It seems totally random, or a matter of which devs were fine tuning the various areas and chapters.

He is correct, and you are wrong, Chris's camera is different than the others for all but one chapter of his campaign. It's way too close in all the others.

Leon's, and Jake's cameras zoom out to the same FOV for some of their chapters. It seems totally random, or a matter of which devs were fine tuning the various areas and chapters.

I haven't noticed any kind of difference from the recent past Resident Evil games. And more to the point, the camera has always been an element of either frustration or dramatic tension since the first.

I totally understand this point of view, I basically gave a hate speech on it when I first started the game, but its' so good once you know all the combat tricks. It's an acquired taste and Capcom have made so many little mind blowing mistakes with it, but it is in no way as bad as it seems at first. The camera is the biggest problem and needs to be addressed as soon as possible by the devs.

Other thing is the QTE's, for the grapple ones ignore the prompts, just wiggle both sticks and hammer A as soon as an enemy jumps you, meter will be half full by the time the prompt comes up.

I'm glad some people were able to learn to like it, but I don't think I can till they fix the camera. If I play it again I'll try that trick for the QTEs, thanks for the tip.

Carbonox

Definitely not the worst game of 2012. That goes to Ninja Gaiden 3. Arguably the worst game I've ever played. Shit, Resident Evil 6 does the
T.Rex boss fight
better! :p

I'm wrong? I can't see things while playing as Chris? Um, no, I CAN see.

Sojgat

I'm wrong? I can't see things while playing as Chris? Um, no, I CAN see.

No you can see because Chris's camera is different to the others, except in his 2nd chapter. It cuts off at his mid thighs, and has greater horizontal FOV. You can see because the camera in the section you're playing is better. If you have no problem with it throughout the entire game that's your personal taste. Camera changes, that's my point.

gconsole

What? The size of the game does not excuse issues some people might have with it, that notion is ridiculous. No game should get points for throwing everything at the wall. And if you've read all the criticism and your argument boils down to "why can't people just enjoy shooting zombies mindlessly like L4D," I think you've missed something.

It's mind boggling that people complain about the 7-10 scale, then complain when anything lower than 7 is used.

Have you play the game?

And i not trying to make the excuse for the game. There are million things i dont like about this game and i truly hope the director get fire. But the game is fun enough to not deserve 3/10. That is radiculous dude.

No you can see because Chris's camera is different to the others, except in his 2nd chapter. It cuts off at his mid thighs, and has greater horizontal FOV. You can see because the camera in the section you're playing is better. If you have no problem with it throughout the entire game that's your personl taste. Camera changes, that's my point.

Nobody ever said anything about Chris's camera changing. The fact is I have played Chris's campaign up to chapter 4 and I have never had a problem with the camera being "too zoomed in" or Chris being in the way of anything or anything like that. I can see what I want to see, when I want to see it, without problems. This has nothing to do with anyone's personal preference about anything.

The game gives me the capability to see what I want to see when I want to see it and I am able to utilize it.

As far as my preferences are concerned, yeah, this game's camera could be a lot better... however, if anyone is ever unable to see what they want to see in the game (not counting gameplay interrupting cutscenes or camera pans, or the blurring while in cover) they must be playing the game wrong

Just started playing this morning. This game is, until now, nowhere as bad as some reviewers want it to be. It may not be a great as RESI 2 and 4, but come on....3/10 is just a cry for attention

Sojgat

Nobody ever said anything about Chris's camera changing. The fact is I have played Chris's campaign up to chapter 4 and I have never had a problem with the camera being "too zoomed in" or Chris being in the way of anything or anything like that. I can see what I want to see, when I want to see it, without problems. This has nothing to do with anyone's personal preference about anything.

The game gives me the capability to see what I want to see when I want to see it and I am able to utilize it.

As far as my preferences are concerned, yeah, this game's camera could be a lot better... however, if anyone is ever unable to see what they want to see in the game (not counting gameplay interrupting cutscenes or camera pans, or the blurring while in cover) they must be playing the game wrong

Are you being serious, because I honestly can't tell, it's making more people motion sick than any other game I've heard of in recent times. In many people's opinion the camera is too close in a lot of areas, I'm not criticising your ability to see or play the game.

amar212

I am not sure if I am the only one, but my copy did not come with an instruction manual. In case you need one there is one available on capcom's site:

http://static.capcom.com/manuals/re6/RE6_PS3_DMNL_EN.pdf

That is one mean and extremely nasty manual.

Design is beyond any comment. How can such visual mess be greenlighted in 2012? Game with such budget and scope/complexity to come with such chaos as something player should comprehend upon?

This is really beyond every standard of either usability (more important) or design (slightly less important). It looks like fan-made manual where fan is profound only in basic design skills and has limited applications on his disposal.

I am taking this as an challenge. I will invest some time over the next weekend and take an effort to redesign this manual in comprehensive way, with inclusion of all control-schemes discovered through this thread and to make it coherent, visually appealing and informative.

This is beyond my imagination, really.

That is one mean and extremely nasty manual.

Design is beyond any comment. How can such visual mess be greenlighted in 2012? Game with such budget and scope/complexity to come with such chaos as something player should comprehend upon?

This is really beyond every standard of either usability (more important) or design (slightly less important). It looks like fan-made manual where fan is profound only in basic design skills and has limited applications on his disposal.

I am taking this as an challenge. I will invest some time over the next weekend and take an effort to redesign this manual in comprehensive way, with inclusion of all control-schemes discovered through this thread and to make it coherent, visually appealing and informative.

This is beyond my imagination, really.

Right on, I hope you make something good.

Top Bottom