• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Three chapters down in Leon's campaign and I'm really loving it. I really started feeling the campaign around the time Leon and Helena emerged from the Subway after feeling quite cynical about the goings on during the starting portions of Chapter 1.

Enjoying it a lot more than most of Jake's campaign.

The gameplay has some issues, like cutting away unnecessarily to show you something mid-combat, for instance, and the melee stomp isn't always reliable (though I find it only results in a standard melee occasionally), but aside from that this stuff doesn't feel too far off from a great Resident Evil.

Very pleasantly surprised after coming away from Jake's campaign feeling like it was somewhat average.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I want to click that so much.

Are you being serious, because I honestly can't tell, it's making more people motion sick than any other game I've heard of in recent times. In many people's opinion the camera is too close in a lot of areas, I'm not criticising your ability to see or play the game.

I just tried Googling this, and from the results that weren't this thread it boils down to a couple people on Gamefaqs and Gamespot.

The people having this issue have my sympathy but I'm not finding this any different from how the camera was in 4 or 5.

Do the skills / weapons carry over between characters every time you save, or just when you beat a campaign? I'm debating between going Jake -> Chris -> Leon or going chapter by chapter in timeline order. If shared stuff only carries over from a beaten game, then that would pretty much make my choice for me.

How does the Split Screen Co-op work between console versions? I assume you can sign-in to XBL with both GTs and earn achievements for both players as you play, but can you do the same for the PS3 version? Also, does it make a save file for both players when you save, or just for P1?

Can anyone answer these for me?

Since no one answered these, I can partially do so after getting it for 360.

Shared stuff: Skills seem to be universal. Any skill points you get go into a cumulative pool that you can spend at the shop for skills. From the main menu / in-between chapters you can buy skills and edit which 3 skills you have equip. I've here there are character exclusive skills, but I haven't seen any yet (only played a few hours however, so they may pop up later). When I saw how this worked, I decided to just go ahead and follow the timeline order from the OP.

For Split Screen Co-op: I went with the 360 version because I couldn't get any responses to my question, here or elsewhere, and thus didn't know how the PS3 version handles things. I wanted to get it on PS3 for online (I can't afford Live), but I've played too many PS3 co-op games where P2 couldn't sign into a profile to keep their own save or earn trophies, so I didn't want to chance it. Things work perfectly fine for split screen on the 360 version.

P2 signs into their GT and then has to select their save location before starting each split screen session. The game will keep separate saves for each person, while registering any achievements earned for both of you.

Note: Skill points picked up are shared between both players, but any ammo dropped is not. Therefore, it could become harder due to a bigger need to manage ammo even more than you normally would. For weapons, so far, it seems that they will appear for both players so that you don't have to fight over who gets it.

Are you being serious, because I honestly can't tell, it's making more people motion sick than any other game I've heard of in recent times. In many people's opinion the camera is too close in a lot of areas, I'm not criticising your ability to see or play the game.
I believe half life wins the round by a wide margin.

pa22word

Rented the game from Rebox. The aiming controls were so bad I had to quit back to the dashboard, boot up Duke Nukem 3D, and see if it's the game and not my not-once-used controller I've had laying around for the past few months.

I needed a new wired controller anyways >.>

edit: Does anyone know if they ever released a wired version of the new dpad style 360 pad?

Chris is mostly mediocre room clearing and constant mildly diverting action, a fantastic chapter 4 for some reason, and then a so-so chapter at the end.

And play Piers.
I loved the ending cutscene of Chapter 2
where piers drags Chris out and Chris looked dead tired from the time he was beaten by those monsters. I loved the the look of the characters, the sad music in the cutscene and the fact that it continues to playback in the background even when reading end of chapter summary
. SPOILER CHAPTER 2 CHRIS CAMPAIGN WALKTRHOUGH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULtoavLbWg&feature=plcp @ 1:06:00 - It was simply AMAZING.

I can't copy the URL at that time for some reason.

Sojgat

I just tried Googling this, and from the results that weren't this thread it boils down to a couple people on Gamefaqs and Gamespot.

The people having this issue have my sympathy but I'm not finding this any different from how the camera was in 4 or 5.

Try googling "RE6 bad camera" or "RE6 FOV", but don't expect to hear about it on the nightly news, probably just some video game forums. Plenty of people have no trouble with the camera at all, I'm not inventing this problem however. If you find it no different, doesn't change the fact that it is. RE5 for example has almost 3 times the amount of vertical space visible above Chris's head, this is part of what can disorientate some people, and in general you will find very few TPS games which make such a design choice.

That's why I said in the review thread that this game is the victim of journalist ego. This game is a very least, fun. The problem the reviewer raise are tiny compare to the size what it has offer. Surely it might not deserve to be the sequel to one of the best game of all time RE4. But it's an enjoyable game. If people can mindlessly shoot zombie in Left for Dead and have fun then why not this game. I have no idea, and seriously lost faith in all those review.

And I'm not saying this because I'm the fan of the game. I'm not trying to find the reason to enjoy it. It's fun because it's fun. Don't know what people nowadays want.

*Hate QTE though lol.

What about the people that think Left for Dead is a really lame game too?

Bumhead

Banned
Really enjoying this game so far. Playing the Leon campaign and the section right after the demo sequence is right up there for me amongst the series' highlights, and is much more memorable and iconic Resident Evil than anything from RE5. And I say that as someone who enjoyed 5 and played through it several times.

I expect the game to have highs and lows but if I enjoy the highs as much as I have this Leon campaign so far then this is going to be a very good Resident Evil game for me. Very intrigued by where the story is going too.

Im happy. And I didn't expect to be after initially raging about the demo.

pa22word

Not since 4, my friend.

Try not since RE1. I can't think of a single moment since the first game I've ever been uneasy about my supplies. RE2 throws ammo at you constantly, RE3 does as well (and gives you options to make your own ammo LOL), etc.

They've all been glorified action games. It just took 'till RE4 for the mechanics to catch up to the design.

Nemesis_

Spill. Who did you get? Some of the monsters in this game are so revolting that I feel sorry for any player who get molested by them.

First game I was a good old fashioned zombie. I knew where the player had to go to complete their objective so I just waited, crawled and then POUNCED. It was glorious.

The second was a J'avo with a machete - I did the weird martial arts display, knocked a Sherry down and impaled her on the ground. I felt so bad ;_;

So fun

MarkusRJR

So apparently my brother got the game and he tells me it's absolute shit. We have really similar taste in games (apart from him liking MMO's and me hating them) so If I play it I'll probably hate it too. I assumed that from the demo but to have my suspicions confirmed is kind of depressing. Will wait for Revelations sequel or RE7.

Carbonox

Now I get the fucked up order of Chris's chapters. Chapter 1 = 'modern day', Chapter 2 = flashback to why Chris is loopy, Chapter 3 = back to the 'modern day'. I guess the subsequent chapters continue on.

Anyway, now I'm starting to feel the pinch of scarce ammo.

Jawmuncher

Now I get the fucked up order of Chris's chapters. Chapter 1 = 'modern day', Chapter 2 = flashback to why Chris is loopy, Chapter 3 = back to the 'modern day'. I guess the subsequent chapters continue on.

Anyway, now I'm starting to feel the pinch of scarce ammo.

I wonder if they'll patch that?
Since that seems to be a common complaint.

Just finished
Ada’s campaign.
Man, can she be anymore of a badass? I love her so much!

And she is so
the hero of this game. Taking out Carla and Simmons! By the way the Carla boss fight was really cool and visually pretty awesome. Dat transformation cut-scene....so good!

Replicant

First game I was a good old fashioned zombie. I knew where the player had to go to complete their objective so I just waited, crawled and then POUNCED. It was glorious.

The second was a J'avo with a machete - I did the weird martial arts display, knocked a Sherry down and impaled her on the ground. I felt so bad ;_;

So fun

Nothing better than dropping a Whopper on Leon then proceed to choke him. Still want some tongue action courtesy of Lepotitsa though.

Carbonox

I wonder if they'll patch that?
Since that seems to be a common complaint.

I'm starting to slowly build up my ammo again in Chapter 3, though I'm using the skill that allows you more items from enemy kills. I'd highly recommend this alongside 'J'avo Killer', allowing you save/acquire more ammo during Chris's campaign.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What a strange game this is turning out to be.

I'll be honest, I hated the demo, but after coming to grips with the surprisingly nuanced controls I'm having a blast. I used the Mercs mode as training, basically, to learn all of the potential options one might have while playing.

Once you begin to aggressively use the systems they provide the fun increases dramatically. Finding ways to tackle enemies becomes addictive and much more interesting than the typical pop-up targets you get in most shooters these days.

This is so much better than I would have expected based on reception.

That's not to say things couldn't have been improved, however. The camera definitely is a bit too narrow and could use a wider FOV. Enemies don't react as well to bullets as I would like and the performance isn't great.

Still, I'm finding this to be a far more interesting game than many other recent shooters.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Still, I'm finding this to be a far more interesting game than many other recent shooters.
I feel like this isn't much of an endorsement considering how uninteresting the shooter genre has become. Game's technical aspects have impressed me...lighting is impressive.

I was going to follow the route posted in here but I just realized that I don't know how. I saw last night that when you go to Chapter Select it said something about all previous data will be lost. Does this mean I can't leave one campaign for another?

Also.... What's up with it not saving when you play with a friend? I joined a friends game that was at the start of the game. Played with him for a few hours and when I went to log back in to finish.... Boom. The game was back at beginning on my play through.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this isn't much of an endorsement considering how uninteresting the shooter genre has become. Game's technical aspects have impressed me...lighting is impressive.

Maybe that's his point; this game is technically a shooter, but is not like the majority of uninteresting shooters out there.

Anyway I am enjoying this game but the FOV and ammo are really the only two things that are bugging me. I enjoy playing my games in the dark but damn if this game's FOV doesn't give me a headache. I have to turn the lights in my room on or I can't play the game for more than 10 minutes. And the ammo is essentially a misguided way to add "suspense" to the campaign, but when the game isn't really scary all it does is add frustration when the game throws enemies at you.

Still, I am enjoying the encounter design, and some of the monsters are really well created. Those enemies you face in Chris' Chapter 2 are pretty gruesome and fun to fight (if you have ammo...otherwise they're super annoying).

Edit: Speaking of skills, I currently have increased drops/increased defense/steady aim set up. What do you guys suggest as skills for the campaign? I'm playing the chronological order so I'm jumping between characters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Indeed.

All I can say is that I'm having a great time and can't wait to get back to playing it later today. I haven't felt that urge in a while.

I also think it looks absolutely outstanding.

One odd thing about the performance I'm finding is that the framerate seems to dip in unexpected areas. Some of the close quarters, less visually striking areas have trouble holding 30 fps while the more complex areas seem to do a great job.

When you first exit the subway tunnels as Leon, for instance, you're presented with a gorgeous city street with great lighting, lots of explosions, and plenty of enemies. It just looks fantastic yet it has no problems holding 30 fps most of the time. It's very consistent and smooth.

That ugly courtyard on campus, however, struggled to hold a smooth framerate.

I didn't notice any significant use of dynamic lighting or a large mob of enemies there either. It didn't seem to make sense.

I did have the chance to try out the first 20 minutes of both versions, however, before deciding. I went with PS3.

The performance profile seems to be virtually identical to the most recent demo. The PS3 version drops a touch lower in the busiest sections (such as that courtyard) but is more steady during other moments. The 360 version often skips and stutters very slightly during moments when the framerate should otherwise be a locked 30. It sometimes feels as if it is de-synchronized with the display or something. Very weird. Both versions slow down in the same exact areas as well.

I'm surprised at how close the two versions are overall, however. Despite these weird little performance issues, the two versions LOOK nearly identical. There are very subtle differences between them and I suspect analyzing them more closing would reveal other small modifications, but from a brief 20 minute session with each version and comparing them side by side they really deliver the same visual quality.

If only they could have totally smoothed out the framerate. :\

Ken

Finished Chris campaign.

Story Spoilers:
Pretty good, I enjoyed the story more than Leon's campaign. Poor Piers. Nothing too annoying gameplay-wise; the vehicle stuff was...not the best but it was an okay break for the normal game play. I think it was this campaign that gets compared to CoD and GoW a lot? For some reason, it never felt too much like either aside from the slow-motion stuff. Still felt like RE5 to me.

Some really cool chapters in it with hunting the invisible snake as your teammates get caught one by one and navigating the lower decks of the carrier really stood out; the latter made me want to find my copy of RE: Revelations. Oddly enough these parts seemed spookier than anything from Leon's campaign. The enemy variety was also good.

The final BOW "escape" stuff got a little annoying with how the checkpoint restarts you all the way back at the start. Also, ammo got pretty scarce for me at the final fight as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish it with 0 ammo in a lot of weapons.

The Chris in this campaign seems far better a character than the Chris from RE5.

Pretty fun game and I'm starting to feel a little more confident about my purchase. Might do Jake's campaign tomorrow.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can any uk gaffer check if the 360/PS3 version contains italian language?
Thanks

I checked on my USA version and it has the option to install the Italian language, so I imagine the PAL version should also have that option. FWIW here are the available languages on disc 2:

Italian
French
German
Spanish

Nemesis_

I was going to follow the route posted in here but I just realized that I don't know how. I saw last night that when you go to Chapter Select it said something about all previous data will be lost. Does this mean I can't leave one campaign for another?

When you finish a chapter, instead of pressing Start to proceed, I just pressed Back/Select to quit out and choose my next chapter.

I had no issues. I am not sure what your concern is though, so I might not have actually had the problem >_>

richi_one

I checked on my USA version and it has the option to install the Italian language, so I imagine the PAL version should also have that option. FWIW here are the available languages on disc 2:

Italian
French
German
Spanish

Thank you, I looked at some unboxings of the uk version and disc 2 content seems the same.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you, I looked at some unboxings of the uk version and disc 2 content seems the same.

I have the urge to do my second playthrough on German just to see if it becomes more entertaining. I also feel like playing it on French, which I speak, but not fluently. Then I can make the claim that RE6 is an educational game.

Sojgat

That is one mean and extremely nasty manual.

Design is beyond any comment. How can such visual mess be greenlighted in 2012? Game with such budget and scope/complexity to come with such chaos as something player should comprehend upon?

This is really beyond every standard of either usability (more important) or design (slightly less important). It looks like fan-made manual where fan is profound only in basic design skills and has limited applications on his disposal.

I am taking this as an challenge. I will invest some time over the next weekend and take an effort to redesign this manual in comprehensive way, with inclusion of all control-schemes discovered through this thread and to make it coherent, visually appealing and informative.

This is beyond my imagination, really.

This sounds great, fantastic idea, thank you. I just read through the capcom manual, it contains a pretty limited amount of useful info. It needs a detailed moves list, hell the in-game menu needs one, almost as much as a fighting game does.

I haven't noticed any kind of difference from the recent past Resident Evil games. And more to the point, the camera has always been an element of either frustration or dramatic tension since the first.

You should check past games, because definetly FOV is worse and camera is way more zoom in. Except in some chapters or sections.

Is a dreadful camera.

fernoca

Game's awesome so far!
Though, guess I'll play it a few times like RE5. Heck, I'm already playing it..twice. Since I'm playing by myself, then I have to repeat the same chapters with a friend online. XD

Top Bottom