• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

You can quick mix herbs? o_O

Naturally, the menu defaults to herbs first I believe so I would just know that and memorise the button inputs to mix them while moving on-the-fly.

There is an easier way?

That is the easiest way for me. When you have a red and green herb just do Triangle, Square, Square, X, X. Feels like an oldschool cheat code. lol

Quick mixed herbs on PS3: R2 + square at the same time. R2 on its own will just use the herb.

That I did not know, makes things a little easier.

Dartastic

Are you fucking kidding me? I progress until I see a typewriter, quit, start the game back up as an online game and it kicks me to the start of the chapter??!?!? WTF.

Nemesis_

I assume the prelude is just
Leon's unreliable narration or his version of how things unfolded around that time where he was the big hero, rescuing an injured Helena
when the truth is not even that close to that.

Also, I can't believe people missed out how the control works. Whenever there's a load screen, they have the button config shown from time to time. They also have hints pages on the loading screen.

Quick mixed herbs on PS3: R2 + square at the same time. R2 on its own will just use the herb.

Dude, never popped up for me and I have been reading my load screens feverishly =/

That is the easiest way for me. When you have a red and green herb just do Triangle, Square, Square, X, X. Feels like an oldschool cheat code. lol

That I did not know, makes things a little easier.

Yeah, especially on-the-fly you feel like some SUPER BAD-ASS CHEMIST

lol

Replicant

Are you fucking kidding me? I progress until I see a typewriter, quit, start the game back up as an online game and it kicks me to the start of the chapter??!?!? WTF.

When you play online, it has to create a session, and the only way to do that is for the game to start you at the beginning of the Chapter.

Dude, never popped up for me and I have been reading my load screens feverishly =/

I think you can see one fairly early in the game like when you started your first campaign post the prelude. The demo also shows it a couple of time.

cvxfreak

Finally got the game and it breaks my heart to say that RE6 has got to be the least polished game in the series, ever... well, outside of Operation Raccoon City, of course.

Over the years, there have been many complaints about how restrictive RE games can be, but RE6 suffers from the exact opposite problem: there's too much freedom, and in my view it doesn't come together well. It's difficult, at least early on, to be very deliberate in your attack strategy. I feel like I'm just mashing away at the melee hoping something good comes out of it. I can get used to this, but it's not as appealing to me as RE4 and RE5.

I replayed RE5 yesterday, and while its setting and premise aren't the best out there, at least its gameplay worked in the context of the scale the game was going for. Enemies were aggressive in the later part of the game, but the system allows decently skilled players to deal with them accordingly.

Nemesis_

Finally got the game and it breaks my heart to say that RE6 has got to be the least polished game in the series, ever... well, outside of Operation Raccoon City, of course.

Over the years, there have been many complaints about how restrictive RE games can be, but RE6 suffers from the exact opposite problem: there's too much freedom, and in my view it doesn't come together well. It's difficult, at least early on, to be very deliberate in your attack strategy. I feel like I'm just mashing away at the melee hoping something good comes out of it. I can get used to this, but it's not as appealing to me as RE4 and RE5.

I replayed RE5 yesterday, and while its setting and premise aren't the best out there, at least its gameplay worked in the context of the scale the game was going for. Enemies were aggressive in the later part of the game, but the system allows decently skilled players to deal with them accordingly.

What's your approach in terms of play order?

Replicant

What strategy? There's not much strategy required in this game. It's pretty repetitive actually. I find that 99% this method works: shoot once in the head or leg if enemy is far away then run towards it and press R1 to melee. If enemy drop to floor, R1 again to head smash. If enemy is too close, quick shot then R1 to melee again. If you run out of stamina, roll out aside and find a hiding place to recover stamina or use the tablet.

In a rumble situation, Quick shot + R1, Quick shot + R1, repeat and rinse.

Nemesis_

I did my professional run first.

It didn't feel TOO HARD but it was a challenge.

Definitely not as hard as RE5 Professional, although still waiting to unlock this mythical No Hope Left mode to give that a try :)P)

What strategy? There's not much strategy required in this game. It's pretty repetitive actually. I find that 99% this method works: shoot once in the head or leg if enemy is far away then run towards it and press R1 to melee. If enemy drop to floor, R1 again to head smash. If enemy is too close, quick shot then R1 to melee again. If you run out of stamina, roll out aside and find a hiding place to recover stamina or use the tablet.

Yeah thats pretty much what I do.

cvxfreak

What strategy? There's no much strategy required in this game. It's pretty repetitive actually. I find that 99% this method works: shoot once in the head or leg if enemy is far away then run towards it and press R1 to melee. If enemy drop to floor, R1 again to head smash. If enemy is too close, quick shot then R1 to melee again. If you run out of stamina, roll out aside and find a hiding place to recover stamina or use the tablet.

Like I said, it could be because I'm still early in Leon's chapter, but there's a sense of unpredictability to the combat, and I don't feel it works in the game's favor. It wasn't like RE5, where fans virtually mastered their combat strategy using the demo for that game.

Sometimes the zombies lunge at you. Other times, you're hit with a thrown weapon. It's chaotic.

Hopefully I figure out a good plan of attack and can maintain control of the game the way I do with RE4 and RE5. I need to give this more time. My preference is to do what you said though.

Riposte

I did my professional run first.

It didn't feel TOO HARD but it was a challenge.

Definitely not as hard as RE5 Professional, although still waiting to unlock this mythical No Hope Left mode to give that a try :)P)

How is enemy gunfire?

EDIT: No Hope Left, eh? First I've heard of it.

So yeah Field Medic makes solo professional a cakewalk 90% of the time. Beat Chris' campaign tonight and there were maybe 5 or 6 rough spots in the whole thing. It's super busted.

How is enemy gunfire?

EDIT: No Hope Left, eh? First I've heard of it.

Guns will drain your health very quickly but it's not one bullet = one bar of health or anything. Dodging is also effective.

It is absolutely fascinating going through the positive reviews and seeing how polarizing Chris and Leon's sections are. Some people love Chris and shite all over Leon and others its the complete opposite. I can't remember a game ever having such a split identity that you have that kind of effect.

big_z

It just came out today son, damn.

yeah i know but i havent opened my copy. if i can get at least $35 as a trade in i'll play the game now then trade it and use the money towards asscreed 3. this way i only lose $5 and canplay the game now instead of wating 5 months for it to hit $20

I tried Agent Hunt just now and about an 45 minutes later I have to say its a pretty fun mode. Sadly many times you will be thrown into someones game who is almost done with the section you are in, ending your game before you can even do anything. But if you get a player that is at the start of the section, well you can hound them for quite a while.

The controls are sloppy on purpose, trying to move as a monster is very hard. Attacks are very slow to perform so you really have to time you attacks well. For the most part you will die a lot.

So far I can only do Leon's levels, some levels are terrible for it but there is one that is perfect, allows for great hunting. You can be all sorts of monsters, my favorite being the dogs. The best match was me against a Helena that had me chasing her all over the the level. I had such close moments where I would chase her down as a dog and just miss a bite. This chase went on and on, then another player joined as Leon so it got much harder. I think they had it on normal or easier cause I hit her a ton of times and she would not go down.

I did successfully kill a few agents, so satisfying to do a scream as those screaming dudes, then have a horde take down the agent while you slowly make your way for the kill. I think the mode is pretty neat and it must be excellent on the flip side as an agent being invaded. i know I made that Helena's game far more interesting.

Replicant

Like I said, it could be because I'm still early in Leon's chapter, but there's a sense of unpredictability to the combat, and I don't feel it works in the game's favor. It wasn't like RE5, where fans virtually mastered their combat strategy using the demo for that game.

Sometimes the zombies lunge at you. Other times, you're hit with a thrown weapon. It's chaotic.

Only on Leon's campaign, IIRC, which I kind of hate tbh because you have to know where and when they come from first to be able to avoid them. The other two campaign rarely gives you annoying gotcha (including stupid car crashes) though.

Also, use defense skill. If you do, the so-called grab won't cost you much in comparison to if you don't have it.

I did successfully kill a few agents, so satisfying to do a scream as those screaming dudes, then have a horde take down the agent while you slowly make your way for the kill. I think the mode is pretty neat and it must be excellent on the flip side as an agent being invaded. i know I made that Helena's game far more interesting.

Yup, Agent Hunt is fun mode. I killed a Helena using the Shrieker, spat acid on both Leon and Helena using Raskpalanje, and grindraped and subsequently killed a Leon using the Whopper. :D

Wish I'd get Lepotitsa one of these days. Can't wait to
shove my tongue down someone's throat

Some general impressions of the Chris campaign. I played on Professional.

-This is a game where I don't mind some of the encounter design being a but uneven. The mechanics are so fun that, with few exceptions, even subpar encounter design is satisfying to me.

-I don't understand the boss design philosophy.
The helicopters are, simply put, fucking assholes and the last boss requiring melee to the cocoon is a pretty obscure solution. Not enough ammo for him either. I'm not knocking requiring experimentation but it's a bitch to get to that part and he's only in the cocoon for a very short time.

-Only annoying QTE was the stick spinny one that ends the mid-boss fight in chapter 2. But it was total cake when I used my palm.

-Vehicle sequences were uninteresting but unoffensive. It's hard for me to hate on them when they're so short and easy to complete.

-Camera doesn't work too well in interior fights. I was fine with it otherwise. Still too close but I can manage.

-Hardly used cover at all. On Professional. I don't always use cover, but when I do, I slide into it.

Lucent

yeah i know but i havent opened my copy. if i can get at least $35 as a trade in i'll play the game now then trade it and use the money towards asscreed 3. this way i only lose $5 and canplay the game now instead of wating 5 months for it to hit $20

Borderlands is currently going for $20 at Best Buy, but you actually get $40 because of the 100% promo bonus. Could be the same for RE6.

gconsole

Just played the first 2 chapters of Leon's campaign, which took me just over 4 hours. I guess I am just going to have to be one of the outcasts on this one because I absolutely love it. It feels like a mix of RE4/RE5 to me, but with better controls. Slam me all you want, but that is my take. The only things I find offensive are the vehicle quick time events and the stick wiggling QTE, but the rest feel like they are there to keep you on your toes and I don't mind them.

Don't care what anyone says, there is plenty of tension, running out of ammo and being mobbed by zombies and other mutations that will fuck you up fast if you are not careful. Plenty of times when you think you are in the clear, more come from behind you and have you running and methodically taking them out just like I had to in previous games. It is here that it still very much feels like RE. Not to mention in the long boss battles with the expected well designed monstrosities that can end you in a hurry.

Let me see, it has a great presentation, the camera feels much better than it did in the demo, the voice acting is spot on and for RE standards (cheesy as that may be) the story actually has me interested. There are also many nice touches effect-wise, such as when zombies get electrocuted they catch on fire and you can see their flesh burning off as they shuffle towards you. All sorts of great little touches like this.

Anyway, unless something drastic changes I'll love this in it's own way, yet as much as I do RE4 and RE5 for their own reasons. But so far I am actually enjoying this more than RE5. I just feel it's a better game in every way. It may sound like hyperbole, but I don't give a shit. So far, it is one of the more underrated games I can recall playing. Is it perfect? No, but it damn sure does not deserve some of the scores it received, in my opinion. I respect those who feel it does, but I just can't see it yet.

Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy this game a hell lot more than RE5.

Ken

So played a few hours of Chris campaign after beating Leon's campaign.

I don't think the game is THAT bad to say it's complete garbage; it's actually quite fun. Sure there are some constant annoyances that I would have expected a big company like Capcom to have nailed down especially with this being the third reiteration on RE4's formula but it's still a playable game. Think the 7~8 review scores it's getting will be what I will end up agreeing with when I finish the rest of the game; the super low 3~4 scores just seem to be written in blind rage.

Will there be better games out this month? Probably. Does RE6 have some really terrible ideas in it? Definitely. Regardless, I'm still having fun so I don't think RE6 is a game that's absolutely rubbish and should be avoided completely as some reviewers seem to suggest. Maybe my tune will change by the time I finish everything and get some Mercenaries in but we'll see.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
so far so good... gotta sleep though.

started with Leon.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Wow, people were not kidding about the quick time events. I don't think I've every played a game with so many.

I LOL'd at that first glimpse of a potted herb in the back of the humvee in the prologue. Yeah, I know the herbs are traditional for the series, but it just looks so comical, like they stopped by a garden supply center on their way to the zombie outbreak.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm nowhere near as good as Sectus, but I have bought
Blue Pirate
Leon. Seems the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-gMowhYqI

Expected, but still. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvlSbx4HNo

Here's a run I just did in the Catacombs map. Only the third time playing, but I'm starting to get a good combat flow going. Started strong and really messed up when some later enemies popped up. I also forgot to buy skills the entire time I've been playing...oops.

Teknoman

Dont forget you can duck. Saved me many times once I remembered about it. Also mastering quick rolling is extremely helpful in all situations.

Game locked up after quitting a co-op session...hope my file is ok. Also Leon's scenario has been pretty fun so far. Only up to chapter 2, and while it doesnt have too many jump scares that actually work, the atmosphere is really nice. Water effects are great too. Seems odd to see an RE game with so many zombie variants, but they all share that Resident Evil / Biohazard trademark strangeness, so I dont mind.

Kinda tired of seeing fat zombie guy in every game though.

EDIT: If the game keeps going like this, I can see myself playing SP as well with the lone wolf skill many times to come. So far its making any of the under 7 reviews just seem off. Also anyone getting a God Hand vibe from all the different dodge mechanics?

Dacon

Banned
I am really enjoying this game a great deal.

I honestly dont get a lot of the complaints, after a bit of tweaking the controls have worked just fine for me, and the combat has been a hell of a lot of fun. I'm about 4 hours into Leon's campaign and while the prelude was balls the campaign itself has been fun.

Mercs especially has been a real fucking riot.

JoeFenix

I just marathon"d Leon's campaign on Professional with a random dude and man.... What a weird game!

It definitely tries to do to much and it's absolutely NOWHERE NEAR as polished as RE5 but I ended up having a smile on my face by the end of it.

It's misguided and stupid, sometimes really badly designed but the bosses and scenarios got ridiculous by the end and I loved it.

By all accounts I should be disgusted by this game but I can't seem to hate it, I genuinely had fun with it and wouldn't even mind going through it again. I think playing it co-op is a must though, the co-op is more fun than it was in RE5 imo.

This is one of the most surreal feeling games I've played in a LONG time, it just feels like it's from some weird alternate reality. I couldn't give a score to this but I did enjoy the hell out of it, especially the last bosses.

The fact that this was only 1 of the 4 campaigns is absolutely ridiculous, the amount of content in this game is stupid honestly. That's not necessarily a good thing but it's definitely interesting.

I wish ALOT of things were different about this game but it's not anywhere near as bad as some reviews have said. Watching that Giantbomb quicklook was really sad, they just didn't understand how to play the game at all. I can see why it got 3's and 4's if people tried to play it like that but the game even with all its lack of polish is still much better than that.

Off to bed, gonna have some WEIRD dreams for sure haha!

Lucent

That's why it's so awesome!

LOL!

Also, I'm going to be playing this in the chronological order. I started with Chris and man, his first stage was fun imo. Especially the part after the Dragon's Dogma demo level. I was playing as Piers and I was messing some J'avo up! I really like his weapons. Having a sniper rifle on hand when you need to pick something off or end something quickly with a quick shot from it is handy. I really didn't get so much of a Call of Duty vibe from it. It felt MUCH better than that to me. It was a rush the way I was doing it. I was surprised though to see that I was running out of herbs and ammo even though I was using melee quite a bit.

Clocked in Chris' first chapter at just under 58 minutes. I hope his other chapters are longer and that at least a couple of them are even more fun. I think doing them in chronological order is gonna make it epic. And I see no problems with the graphics so far. The lighting is amazing.

Well, I'm off to bed. I'll play this more during the weekend. And I'll be able to rest well knowing that RE6 is pretty awesome so far.

Teknoman

You really have to call on survival horror skills in professional mode. Man those things hit hard.

Is it set to where two players can co-op in the same game, yet be set to different difficulties?

AlexBasch

Aight, time to stop, I started with the Leon campaign and will finish it before moving to the others. Had to stop at
the meeting with Sherry and Jake against the Ustanak in China.

Don't want to, but have to work in a few hours, haha. Amazing game so far.

Dartastic

I'm excited to go back and read those really low reviews. It will be really interesting to see why they hate this game so much, and why they hate certain mechanics in general. Fun.

Teknoman

Unless this has some drastic downturn later in Leon's scenario, or Chris & Jake just fall apart from the start, I seriously cant see someone rating this any lower than a 7.

Unless this has some drastic downturn later in Leon's scenario, or Chris & Jake just fall apart from the start, I seriously cant see someone rating this any lower than a 7.

IMO Chris' is pretty solid overall. Not too many lows outside of a few bosses. Quality of encounter design varies a bit but if you like the mechanics, there are a ton of fun fights to be had. Not too much stop and pop required outside of the odd counter-sniping section. Vehicle sections aren't mechanically interesting but their concepts are pretty insane and they're not frustrating.

Teknoman

I will say, the only thing I wish is that the camera was pulled back a little, much like everyone else. Also, the cars early on, while surprising...never managed to get close to killing me. Probably because I stopped dead in my tracks after seeing come barreling towards me.

Really nice sense of speed on all dangerous vehicles though. Screechers tick me off though, because they are annoying to deal with...and remind me of something from Silent Hill Homecoming.

LOL!

Also, I'm going to be playing this in the chronological order. I started with Chris and man, his first stage was fun imo. Especially the part after the Dragon's Dogma demo level. I was playing as Piers and I was messing some J'avo up! I really like his weapons. Having a sniper rifle on hand when you need to pick something off or end something quickly with a quick shot from it is handy. I really didn't get so much of a Call of Duty vibe from it. It felt MUCH better than that to me. It was a rush the way I was doing it. I was surprised though to see that I was running out of herbs and ammo even though I was using melee quite a bit.

Clocked in Chris' first chapter at just under 58 minutes. I hope his other chapters are longer and that at least a couple of them are even more fun. I think doing them in chronological order is gonna make it epic. And I see no problems with the graphics so far. The lighting is amazing.

Well, I'm off to bed. I'll play this more during the weekend. And I'll be able to rest well knowing that RE6 is pretty awesome so far.

I really enjoyed his first stage as well, I was surprised as I didn't like the bit all that much from the DD demo but maybe because I have a better feel for the melee and other moves at your disposal it made the game way more fun? The one thing that I have been liking a lot so far is the enemy transformations on the J'avo - seeing them grow wings, turn into spider creatures or get those really long grabby arms adds nice variety to the enemies I've been fighting so far. Hopefully there are many more to come later in the game.

So I'm playing the Chris campaign with a friend and he is playing Piers. We're at the end of Chapter 3....

The driving section. We've failed this like a hundred times and have been doing it for over an hour. It seems as though my friend is incapable of driving properly. What the hell is he doing wrong? The game won't let me switch to Piers so I can try

edit:
It seems like we stop moving every time he hits the boost...

So I'm playing the Chris campaign with a friend and he is playing Piers. We're at the end of Chapter 3....

The driving section. We've failed this like a hundred times and have been doing it for over an hour. It seems as though my friend is incapable of driving properly. What the hell is he doing wrong? The game won't let me switch to Piers so I can try

It's really as simple as not hitting the walls and having the gunner destroy the enemy vehicles. I didn't find the controls difficult to use at all. Not sure if you can even lose the person you're chasing but if so, remember that the driver can press A/X to Turbo.

Saw your edit: Tell him to keep the accelerate button pressed at all times, even while Turboing.

It's really as simple as not hitting the walls and having the gunner destroy the enemy vehicles. I didn't find the controls difficult to use at all. Not sure if you can even lose the person you're chasing but if so, remember that the driver can press A/X to Turbo

Yeah, that's why we're losing. We can't keep up with her. I haven't even seen any enemies to shoot at yet....

Nemesis_

That sounds really odd, I've only ever done that part solo so maybe the AI is doing something for me instead?

Easily the worst part of the game I reckon

Carbonox

Yeah the 3's and 4's I've seen are downright fucking ludicrous. This is a decent and enjoyable game. While the issues could impair someone or their desire to prevail, once you do get the game down to a T, it's a fucking blast and one of the most enjoyable things I've played in a while.

It is a very loose game and I somewhat get what Capcom were trying to accomplish in order to distinguish itself (which it has, for good or bad) from the rest of the games. However, they need to tighten the reigns for RE7 and give the game more time in the oven when it's needed.

Despite Capcom being a rather laughable company nowadays, I think they might learn from RE6 for the future, FOR the better.

Top Bottom