• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

One complaint I have is that the game takes your ps3 language as the dub, and you cannot change it. This forces me to have my ps3 set as english.

Carbonox

I know this doesn't seem like a spoiler to you, but honestly this kind of thing annoys me. I'm not very far into the game so I would appreciate it if people didn't make offhand remarks that refer to parts of the game I haven't played yet.

I figured it was vague enough but I've spoilered it to be safe.

Some people in this thread compared the combat in this game to Vanquish? I mean...wow

While shorter there's no doubt that Vanquish is a more polished game, with tighter controls, camera and combat. But both games has something in common in the sense they require a good grasp of their mechanics to fully enjoy the game.

Seriously, playing RE6 like it was RE5 or without using the evade movements or other more advanced moves would have been such a pain, that I can only pity the people that did it play it like that.

Nemesis_

Some people in this thread compared the combat in this game to Vanquish? I mean...wow

Have you even played it? The third person mechanics are actually quite similar (besides, of course, the whole boost thing and slow down time thing).

The influences are definitely there.

Sojgat

I have, and I've also said it's way more clunky and the camera is awful. However once you know most of the tricks you can do some crazy shit, you'll barely get grappled and you'll destroy most enemies (unlocking skills helps too, really they're an awful design choice). This doesn't remove the constant set piece and cutscene interruptions, or excuse the other weird design decisions, but the similarities are there. The big problem is lack of explanation for all the systems, and the fact that nothing is forcing you not to play it like RE4 and 5, except the frustration and lack of enjoyment.

The game isn't survival horror in any typical way, but I think the intent is for the player always to be on edge. You have to react really quickly in many situations to avoid getting hit, and always be aware of your surroundings (and somtimes the game makes that hard). In RE5 the best option might be to back away, pick your shots carefully, shoot a guy in the Knee, and maybe sometimes Melee them when they get too close. In RE6 you always have to be ready to counter or dodge, and the best option is often to run at an enemy and stun them, then keep following up with more melee attacks, or spin them around with quick shots or aimied shots to the arm, and suplex them or use a contextual weapon kill. You slide around to get behind enemies constantly, and crowd control is very important, nothing gives you a break and can seem cheap, even on normal difficulty.

There are many things I hate about RE6, the combat isn't one of them (my opinion on this has evolved over time).

Sectus

This thread is, like, the grand example for why you shouldn't have a game avatar and then expect your impressions to have much weight regarding said game.
You're saying that but the post above you has a RE name, a RE avatar, and he's saying something negative about it. I don't think being a fan of the series automatically makes one's opinion invalid.

Alastor

Hopefully some of these complaints (like too narrow FOV) will be adressed in the PC version, by Capcom or (more likely) by modders.

jmdajr

So I bravely picked up my copy and started playing. First real problem I encountered was that I couldn't see crap. Despite what the game recommends, I really had to turn up the brightness. Outside of that yeah the game does feel, kind of weird. I'm barely an hour in but so far it's way better than that Operation Racoon City crap. Sure seems like the next step up from RE5 gameplay, but the 3 walking speeds take getting used to. Analog slight walk, then walk super fast, and then TURBO RUN. We'll see how this goes. Staying positive here for the most part. I like kicking the crap out of Zombies. Been very amused with some of the attacks.

Prine

Banned
Id happily say RE6 gunplay is far more fun and satisfying than Vanquish. One of the many things that turned off Vanquish was the guns - they felt harmless and light.

todahawk

I am loving this so far...

I'm not very far in but same here. Early impressions are that I love the atmosphere... getting used to the gun mechanics and overall feel too.

It is a bit dark and that doesn't really bother me except for when I can't see where I'm going and occasionally get stuck trying to move. I like the darkness and how it really obscures zedheads as they come shambling out of the darkness. I like the darkness more than I did the 'daylight' of RE5.

I'm playing through the Leon campaign first and when you go into 'aim' view (as in the demo) he takes up a fair amount of the screen. That's taking a little bit to get used to.

edit:
I started my first run on Veteran and was surprised to see Professional as an option by default. What difficulty is everyone starting on?

edit2:
I love the melee foot stomp they borrowed from Dead Space.

jmdajr

I'o.

It is a bit dark and that doesn't really bother me except for when I can't see where I'm going and occasionally get stuck trying to move. I like the darkness and how it really obscures zedheads as they come shambling out of the darkness. I like the darkness more than I did the 'daylight' of RE5.

How dark is the game really supposed to be? My first initial setting I swear I couldn't see ANYTHING.

You're saying that but the post above you has a RE name, a RE avatar, and he's saying something negative about it. I don't think being a fan of the series automatically makes one's opinion invalid.

Yeah, not a fan of generalizations like that. I'm not saying that Rez is completely wrong as "fans" tend to pick "fan avatars" (like me) but I wouldn't like to think that my opinion is invalid because I'm wearing a related avatar from the product in question.

Nemesis_

There is an unlockable difficulty, it's called No Hope

It's DLC, not unlockable. At least, I'm very certain it's not unlockable.

Wow, really? If it's free, that's ok I guess, but charging for this would be ridiculous.

I have completed the game on Professional. I have yet to unlock or access No Hope mode, if it even exists.

I don't think it's unlockable - I have a feeling it's going to be some form of DLC further down the track.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not very far in but same here. Early impressions are that I love the atmosphere... getting used to the gun mechanics and overall feel too.

I'm playing through the Leon campaign first and when you go into 'aim' view (as in the demo) he takes up a fair amount of the screen. That's taking a little bit to get used to.

edit:
I started my first run on Veteran and was surprised to see Professional as an option by default. What difficulty is everyone starting on?

I'm playing normal. I always start on normal... if the game seems too easy then I will bump it up, but I've had a few close calls. Actually throughout most of the chapter I just played, I was protecting the last two blocks of health I had for what seemed like forever. But I haven't even come close to running low on ammo. They just shower ammo on you, even for the shotgun. Or remote bombs, these dang things are everywhere. I've had 4-5 throughout Chapter 1. I do use melee quite a bit and conserve ammo, but I've been killing pretty much everything and still not running low. I think enemies drop too much ammo. Maybe that's just normal though.

My sole complaint so far is that the shotgun blast doesn't cancel their zeddy leap attack... my handgun shoots them out of midair, but the close range shotgun blast gets shrugged off, and I get chewed on. This seems like an oversight.

Otherwise... no complaints. Game is awesome as hell. It;s dark, but after DD, and considering the setting, I love the "too dark to see" sometimes. Adds tension.

Controls are a little wonky in tight quarters, but there are ways to circumvent a lot of the jank, which I'm trying to get used to again.

I started on veteran for my first playthrough and I'm finding it to be somewhat challenging with limited frustration. I feel like had I started on an easier difficulty, that the game would be a bit too easy.

jmdajr

Ok I'm asking a lot of things, sorry. I pre-ordered at BestBuy and was supposed to get some free DLC. I saw nothing in the packaging though. Am I supposed to get a code or something?

Nemesis_

Are there any references to extra episodes as DLC? To my understanding the game fully concludes on a note where there is still more to the events to come.

I don't recall any being found in the demo leak / mine.

There is a post-game ending (which is after all four campaigns) that seems to be set in some kind of
middle-eastern
country, but I don't know if that would be a good place to set DLC.

I would much rather they continue the "episodic" campaign thing and maybe do some side-story DLC.

I'm honestly feeling like I am done with
Jake.....
and would prefer something slightly fresh.

Evolved1

I started on veteran for my first playthrough and I'm finding it to be somewhat challenging with limited frustration. I feel like had I started on an easier difficulty, that the game would be a bit too easy.

On normal it seems pretty easy but has moments of concentrated challenge... you can mess up and put yourself in a bad place for a while. Not having any health for a long ass chapter and taking heavy damage from grasp attacks makes it dicey enough for me. If ammo was a little more scarce this would feel pretty good. Not too hard, not too easy.

Besides, I'm generally more interested in the story first time through. Normal difficulty mitigates the risk of obnoxious difficulty spikes that can frustrate progress. RE games I will play a million times on all the difficulties, eventually, but so far this seems like a pretty decent challenge w/o being frustrating. We'll see it if hold up.

Nice thing about RE is that you can bump up the difficulty pretty much any time.

Same. I died quite a few times in some of the chapters but I liked it that way, since the game checkpoints eliminates every possibility of frustration.

Foffy

Banned
I don't recall any being found in the demo leak / mine.

There is a post-game ending (which is after all four campaigns) that seems to be set in some kind of
middle-eastern
country, but I don't know if that would be a good place to set DLC.

I would much rather they continue the "episodic" campaign thing and maybe do some side-story DLC.

I'm honestly feeling like I am done with
Jake.....
and would prefer something slightly fresh.

I see, but doesn't the game
introduce The Family? Isn't that now the newest evil faction to the series, or is that group introduced AND eliminated in the game?

I also have a minor question. In regards to the recommended order of playing RE6, how exactly do you know when you've cleared a chapter? Are you given an indicator of going back to the main menu after each chapter, or is this one of those games that have you have to quit at the start of a new chapter to return to the main menu to pick the chapter suggested to continue from there?

Evolved1

So... does RE.net take a long-ass time to update or something?

introduce The Family? Isn't that now the newest evil faction to the series, or is that group introduced AND eliminated in the game.

I also have a minor question. In regards to the recommended order of playing RE6, how exactly do you know when you've cleared a chapter? Are you given an indicator of going back to the main menu after each chapter, or is this one of those games that have you have to quit at the start of a new chapter to return to the main menu to pick the chapter suggested to continue from there?

You get graded at the end of each chapter, and have the option to quit to main menu.

Nemesis_

introduce The Family? Isn't that now the newest evil faction to the series, or is that group introduced AND eliminated in the game.

Yeah, you're right. I don't know where it could go from here. I hope it doesn't get TOO RIDICULOUS though.

So... does RE.net take a long-ass time to update or something?

It's definitely not instant. It only uploads at a results screen though, so hit one and your stats should propagate within the next few hours.

The one thing this game really could have benefited from is a manual.

After opening it up and seeing a Disc 2 I was upset to not see any clarification as to what it was in the non-existent manual.

Not to mention the disc flap in my case was broken, causing the real game to fall to the floor!

Tain

Beat Leon's campaign in co-op on professional last night. This is, at the very least, a pretty good game. Looking forward to playing more tonight.

News Bot

Banned
In the process of uploading all of the game's files and cutscenes. I have all of Leon's and Ada's files done, with the majority of Chris and Jake's. Only a handful more to go, will be all done tomorrow. You can find the files here. I have already spotted many localization mistakes (the Plaga being referred to as a virus, the fabricated "Operation: Bacillus Terminate" being used in place of the Sterilization Operation and so on), so translations will be done as soon as I get my hands on the Japanese text. Hopefully a little bit more clarity can be gained that way, like every other game in the series.

As for the cutscenes, I am currently uploading all of them in HD. Almost finished Leon's. You can find them on ProjectUmbrellaTV, and they have a specific playlist.

Can't stress it enough, spoilers.

Is RE6 like RE5 where if you complete a chapter, you can go back with all your upgrades and change difficulties (which essentially makes Pro a lot easier)?

Gbraga

Man can't wait to get back from work. Time goes by so slowly...

What do you mean? It doesn't save your progress if you join a game or if you host it?
There is a co-op bug, if you want your game to save as a Pro walkthrough, you must start a Pro single player game first. If you have your difficulty set to Normal and you join a Pro game, you will play on pro, but the game will register that you beat the chapter on Normal.

I hope they fix it soon enough.

jorgeton

Man can't wait to get back from work. Time goes by so slowly...

There is a co-op bug, if you want your game to save as a Pro walkthrough, you must start a Pro single player game first. If you have your difficulty set to Normal and you join a Pro game, you will play on pro, but the game will register that you beat the chapter on Normal.

I hope they fix it soon enough.

Thanks. Phew. I was worried for a second there.

Phenomic

So when I finish a Chapter I should get a medallion next to the name of the character like the Prelude correct? I just finished Jakes scenario and it didn't give me one. So I looked into the Chapters and it's telling me I never beat Chapter 2 (I've done chapter 2 with Jake twice now)

I assume I think all three filled out to get Ada's stuff? I do have New Game + though now.

Top Bottom