• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

You see, while I agree that it's not necessary, I don't think it's a gameplay problem, which is what I was talking about.

DMC3 and 4 absolutely don't require you to learn all the indepth gameplay, you don't need to use jump cancelling even once in order to beat the game, that doesn't make it any less fantastic that the gameplay allows you to do it.

EDIT: And no, I am not saying this game's mechanics are as good as DMC, before people start pointing fingers at me.

I agree that it would be crazy to require you to exhibit every possible mechanic that the game provides you with but at least force me to employ some of them. Unfortunately I am just not the kind of gamer that is going to push the control scheme if I don't need to and there are to many situations that I can just revert to a lazy play-style.

Carbonox

Just had to pop in and say that the narrative conceit of Leon's first 2 chapters is complete and absolute garbage. I'm speaking of course of
Helena's refusal to tell you what's going on because "you wouldn't believe her." What is there, in the RE universe, that would be too far out there for Leon Fucking Kennedy to believe?

Haha yeah even Leon was getting impatient, which no doubt mirrored many a gamer (including me) where that was concerned.

def sim

Just had to pop in and say that the narrative conceit of Leon's first 2 chapters is complete and absolute garbage. I'm speaking of course of
Helena's refusal to tell you what's going on because "you wouldn't believe her." What is there, in the RE universe, that would be too far out there for Leon Fucking Kennedy to believe?

It boils down to, "it's a videogame." It's just really blatant about serving its purpose in this instance.

Gbraga

I agree that it would be crazy to require you to exhibit every possible mechanic that the game provides you with but at least force me to employ some of them. Unfortunately I am just not the kind of gamer that is going to push the control scheme if I don't need to and there are to many situations that I can just revert to a lazy play-style.

Which would be already partialy solved if the Prelude was some kind of tutorial about the game's mechanics instead of a QTE-fest. Make the played slide under something during the prelude as the only way to proceed instead of doing a QTE to move on, I don't know, anything does a better job at introducing the game's mechanics than a QTE-fest.

News Bot

Banned
There is so much just completely unnecessary shit in this game and you can tell the overall quality suffers for it. Jake's entire campaign has like two genuinely great segments, both involving Ustanak, that could have just been put into Leon or Chris' campaigns. Then you could cut Jake out entirely and lose absolutely nothing, and probably save all of the expense it took to create those disastrous vehicle sequences of his.

Helena is a pointless character too. Should have been Sherry with Leon. Although I like Helena, she literally has no reason to even be there. The reasoning that was actually given was horseshit (like a lot of the plot), for this reason:
Simmons, the National Security Advisor, should have been able to send the alert that would have gave him the opening to kill Benford. There was no need for the elaborate scheme and kidnapping.

Shotaro Suga should generally stop writing for the series. His stories (Degeneration, Damnation, Darkside Chronicles, 6) are the absolute worst in the series, which is quite a feat since the actual standard of storytelling in the series isn't exactly high, but at least the other writers would provide explanations for things and not just throw them in and then not say a word about what they are or where they came from. The dialogue may be much better in 6, but that is more because of Just Cause Productions.

Bloating the game with garbage killed any chance it had. Moving the release date forward also did it no favors, and neither did the "lets imitate every other game" mantra. What originality BH6 has, it lost integrity over since focus was put on dramatic and massive set-pieces rather than solid gameplay.

I liked Leon and Chris' campaign but I'm not too keen on Jake's so far. Replaying that one Chris sequence from Jake's perspective sucked and that
snowstorm
shit was miserable. I stopped after completing the
snow mobile
sequence. I hope it gets better soon.

Dartastic

I liked Leon and Chris' campaign but I'm not too keen on Jake's so far. Replaying that one Chris sequence from Jake's perspective sucked and that
snowstorm
shit was miserable. I stopped after completing the
snow mobile
sequence. I hope it gets better soon.
Yeah. I just did that too. That
snowstorm part was so unbearable mostly because of the snipers... they made that shit SO IRRITATING. UGH. I wonder how you're going to like the next part? You have to sneak and shit. I didn't find it that bad.

JoeFenix

Just finished Chris chapter 3 and it was BY FAR the worst chapter I've played so far. Just complete junk from the god damn chopper fight to the chase sequence and capping it off with that diarrhea jeep section.

That was truly wretched, no doubt about it!

Just finished Chris chapter 3 and it was BY FAR the worst chapter I've played so far. Just complete junk from the god damn chopper fight to the chase sequence and capping it off with that diarrhea jeep section.

But it's followed up by FAR the best chapter in the campaign

RE6 is a weird mix of highs and lows.

Neiteio

This game will baffle GAF for years as we reflect on it and think, "What the HELL were they thinking." It will also continue to baffle in how despite its many flaws, it paradoxically manages to be fun and addictive in an odd, abusive sort of way (literally, the strobe-light explosions give me headaches, yet I played straight from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. the other night).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Spoiler tags. Use them people. Just because it's gameplay doesn't mean it's not a spoiler.

Chris chapter 3 is a huge improvement, Loved the boss battle against
the giant invisible snake. Its creepy to be moving slowly down a hallway then see a glint of the snake and realize it is right in front of you.

One thing that is bothering me, I have no ammo, I have literally brought a knife to a gunfight cause I have zero ammo at times. Capcom if you want us to shoot everything that moves then we want ammo. If you want to create a tense scary game then we want less ammo. Don't mix the two up.

Chinner

Banned

you have the wrong attitude. the game has a learning curve by dark souls. think of it like that and you will appreciate the game more.

masterkajo

Maybe it has been answered already but I have a problem. I want to play coop on professional with a friend but only the one hosting will have the game be on professional. When I hosted he got credit for completing the chapter on Normal mode and when he hosted I got credit for playing the chapter on Amateur mode. Is there a way for us both to play on professional mode? Thx.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it has been answered already but I have a problem. I want to play coop on professional with a friend but only the one hosting will have the game be on professional. When I hosted he got credit for completing the chapter on Normal mode and when he hosted I got credit for playing the chapter on Amateur mode. Is there a way for us both to play on professional mode? Thx.

You have to start a single player game on Professional. Apparently the game is glitched such that it gives the non-host credit for the difficulty he has the single player campaign on.

antitrop

Wait, let me get this straight.

If you leave the game in the middle of a chapter and come back later you will always start at the beginning of the chapter!?

WHAT. THE. FUCK. I just lost like 45 minutes of progress because I figured you could fucking save in the middle of a chapter like any normal fucking game.

Each chapter is like an hour and a fucking half. This is bullshit. Fuck this game and everyone who was involved in making it, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Which would be already partialy solved if the Prelude was some kind of tutorial about the game's mechanics instead of a QTE-fest. Make the played slide under something during the prelude as the only way to proceed instead of doing a QTE to move on, I don't know, anything does a better job at introducing the game's mechanics than a QTE-fest.

Yeah that would definitely help. It is really a puzzling omission I really can't wrap my head around it.

If you leave the game in the middle of a chapter and come back later you will always start at the beginning of the chapter!?

WHAT. THE. FUCK. I just lost like 45 minutes of progress because I figured you could fucking save in the middle of a chapter like any normal fucking game.

Each chapter is like an hour and a fucking half. This is bullshit. Fuck this game and everyone who was involved in making it, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

How funny the reason I started Vanquish up again is the same thing happened to me this morning.

I still don't get this system very well either.

I think the game saves at every "checkpoint". If you quit the game, try to come back from the Continue option, not from the Select Chapter option. Maybe it will work this way? Haven't tried it yet.

antitrop

I still don't get this system very well either. I think the game saves at every "checkpoint". If you quit the game, try to come back from the Continue prompt, not from the Select Chapter prompt. Maybe it will work this way? Haven't tried it yet.
I did select Continue.

Right back at the beginning. I was like halfway through Leon's Chapter 1, then I left the game to go to class. Come back and bam, he's shooting the president again.

Fuck this game.

Afrocious

But honestly, I think this game truly shines in Mercenaries mode. Perhaps it's because you're in an open area free to kill enemies however you want.

With that said, does anyone else get the occassional 180 degree turn hiccup? Where your character turns around but the camera stays so that the character is looking toward the player. Here's a link to a vid of myself doing it in the middle of my first Merc run.

It only saves your progress when it says "saving" not at checkpoints. I know, it makes no sense.

Not in my case. I got to the
part in Leon ch 1 where you rescue the cop and the couple at the gas station
and it said saving. I turned it off and came back a few hours later to restart
coming out of the subway station
. I had to redo a ton of crap again and just stuck it out until the end of the chapter. :/

Edit: I actually think the save states are tied to the loading screens.

Should've read the post below before editing. -_- but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's that.

Not quite. If you get a checkpoint after a loading screen you can continue from there after quitting. Any other checkpoints(not counting those after completing a chapter) won't count though.

What's the point of the guy and his daughter at the beginning of Leon's campaign.

This game is bullshit.

Dude no offense but what the point of your post? This sort of thing happens all the time in games. Just random characters you run into that's progressing the game play scenario.

antitrop

You're supposed to feel complex emotions and totally not see it as a complete chore when revisiting the chapter!
No it's amateur bullshit writing. In order to have complex emotions for the death of a character they must first be developed and give you a reason to care about their existence.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Damn they are stingy as hell with the health... haha.

This game is so good...

I'm doing this Leon shit right now. Who thought it was a good idea to open the first 20 minutes with this shit. Slowly walking around following NPCs
KuGsj.gif

If you get hit with a loading screen before a checkpoint, you can continue from there after quitting a session.

So basically, don't quit mid-game until you get a checkpoint immediately after a loading screen.

Since he decided to just continue bitching and not bother to thank you for your response, I'll thank you instead. Thanks man - good to have this info for my next session.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I still don't get this system very well either.

I think the game saves at every "checkpoint". If you quit the game, try to come back from the Continue option, not from the Select Chapter option. Maybe it will work this way? Haven't tried it yet.

This is the way RE has been since RE5. The checkpoints are your progress in any particular run through a chapter. They aren't saving your progress so much as your equipment/bonuses/stats. You can continually restart from a checkpoint during a chapter, but you cannot turn off the game and come back later. Chapters are made to be done in one sitting.

It's good and bad. Depends.

Chinner

Banned
I'm doing this Leon shit right now. Who thought it was a good idea to open the first 20 minutes with this shit. Slowly walking around following NPCs
KuGsj.gif

wow sorry if yo ucant get over the learning curve. think of the game like dark souls and you'll appreciate re6 way more.

antitrop

This is the way RE has been since RE5. The checkpoints are your progress in any particular run through a chapter. They aren't saving your progress so much as your equipment/bonuses/stats. You can continually restart from a checkpoint during a chapter, but you cannot turn off the game and come back later. Chapters are made to be done in one sitting.

It's good and bad. Depends.
There's absolutely nothing good about that, at all.

d0c_zaius

I think if they stressed the quick shot mechanic in the tutorial, people would have way less trouble with average encounters. It helps maximize ammo use too.

wow sorry if yo ucant get over the learning curve. think of the game like dark souls and you'll appreciate re6 way more.

are you trolling? being forced to walk slowly has nothing to do with a "learning curve". Pick another canned response from your defense list.

Top Bottom