• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Okay, I'm now in the extra content menu and "The Mercenaries" is greyed out and it says "Unlocked after all campaigns have been completed"

Soooo errrrr, what?
Uhh, what? That's not right at all.

Definitely not true here. I jumped into Mercs directly after playing maybe 20 minutes of Leon's campaign.

Shane is taking RE6 to the heart.

shane_hatefield.gif

I find it interesting he didn't throw Giantbomb under the bus for being grossly uninformed and terrible players in that quicklook. Can hardly blame him though.

for those who have finished all 3 campaigns, would you recommend playing each campaign individually or switch between all 3 and play them chronologically?

I'm following Dusk Golems order, makes sense so far. When I noticed it wanted to move directly to Chris/Jake 3rd chapter, I exited and began where the order said I should be. I'm going to be starting Leon's 2nd chapter soon.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada
Campaign

dark10x

I find it interesting he didn't throw Giantbomb under the bus for being grossly uninformed and terrible players in that quicklook. Can hardly blame him though.
Well, I actually tend to think it was more of a Brad issue. Jeff at least seemed to be questioning some of Brad's comments and lack of skills.

The game demands a lot from the player and doesn't provide a lot of information in return. I can see how it would be frustrating to some and there's no doubt that Brad had a poor time with the game but I DO think he's being a little unfair with some criticisms.

Haven't got the game or anything but I've been watching Leons story through Youtube for a bit, until I get the game myself. And I gotta say, the graphics are fantastic!

There's one cutscene right near the beginning with Helena and Leon, where he asks her
"How do you feel?" and she replies "I think I'm gonna be okay...thank you."

Then she looks up at Leon, and DAT ANIMATION! She looks so believable. RE5 had the same quality too.

You can see it here at 7:45.

Danny 117

Might buy it this weekend. Will I be able to unlock the ridiculously overpowered hand cannons and the other weapons (w/ infinite ammo) in this instalment?

Well, I actually tend to think it was more of a Brad issue. Jeff at least seemed to be questioning some of Brad's comments and lack of skills.

The game demands a lot from the player and doesn't provide a lot of information in return. I can see how it would be frustrating to some and there's no doubt that Brad had a poor time with the game but I DO think he's being a little unfair with some criticisms.

Yeah, I agree, mostly a Brad issue. Which sucks, cuz I think he's a cool guy, but his inability to figure out the controls after dozens of hours with them is baffling to me.

Might buy it this weekend. Will I be able to unlock the ridiculously overpowered hand cannons and the other weapons (w/ infinite ammo) in this instalment?

I'm curious about this too. I know you can upgrade
skills ala RE Mercenaries 3D, on 3DS
, but I'd like to know about unlockable weapons ^_^

def sim

I actually thought a lot of the set pieces were REALLY well done. Not Uncharted 2 quality or anything but certainly well above average. They are able to do a lot of incredible things in engine.

Set pieces are entertaining the first time and less so in subsequent playthroughs. I expect better if they're going to put one in. One particular example:
Leon's campaign, drive through on the humvee
looked bad and it's nearly not a stretch to say it's something that could have came from a new EDF game. The set piece is reminiscent of Modern Warfare's intro, but much less effective at conveying the message it's trying to jam into our heads. The poor animations, vehicle physics, and what it is trying to show us made me think "I'm driving through a budget game" instead of "this place is fucked." At least, not in the way they meant.

Regarding the presentation, one quote from the review thread had it spot on for me:

Good. If they're going to make a generic on rails setpiece and QTE driven shooter then at least give it to the people who can do it right.

(Western devs)

They have excelled and set a standard for set pieces and scripted events this generation. I'm sure some of you guys are fine with the ones in RE6, but it could, or should, be better.

It's just a bummer to see this kind of quality from Resident Evil.

for those who have finished all 3 campaigns, would you recommend playing each campaign individually or switch between all 3 and play them chronologically?

The story isn't hard to follow as is presented, there's no need to play chronologically.

I'm having a weird time with this game. Im loving the good parts, and I'm laughing my ass off at the bad parts. In Jakes chapter 2 I had a blast with the
snowmobile sequence in the avalanche
because it's so fucking dumb and terrible. The game is almost like an inverted deadly premonition in that way.

Teknoman

Jesus.

Will wait for PC sale. It will be 1/4th the price by Christmas-time.

No way is it complete and utter crap.

Its very much the Dragon's Dogma/God Hand of the RE series in that once you get used to the unique gameplay mechanics (and no, unique does not mean clunky in this case) the game is very fun. Honestly this game is more fun to play solo than RE5 managed to be.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Shane is taking RE6 to the heart.

shane_hatefield.gif

Apparently they're going to talk about RE6 on this week's Invisible Walls, so that should be an interesting conversation.

It's funny to because Geoff Keighley is telling people "buyer beware" since RE6's metascore is 69, which is the opposite message Shane is giving. Geoff hasn't played it yet though.

Curufinwe

I posted this elsewhere already, but as well as the usual super skilled videos on youtube from expert Mercenaries players, there are American gaming journalists outside of Giant Bomb who have released gameplay videos which show RE 6 in a much different light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVc_FJOG78

So I don't think the Giant Bomb Quick Look where they refuse to use basic gameplay mechanisms like jumping back or quick shots is hard to argue against at all.

dark10x

Yeah, I agree, mostly a Brad issue. Which sucks, cuz I think he's a cool guy, but his inability to figure out the controls after dozens of hours with them is baffling to me.
Yeah, he generally seems to struggle with this kind of thing even in modern games which hold your hand throughout. So, when faced with a game which fails to offer ANY sort of aid, it's clear that he simply isn't up to the task.

Most people reviewing these games have deadlines to worry about and RE6 is definitely a game that is going to stand in the way of that deadline.

The controls are complex and nuanced but the game fails to explain them to you instead relying on player experimentation. It's kind of old school in that sense, but for those used to modern games, it's a kick to the head. On top of that, failing to make full use of the controls can result in a LOT of deaths in this case and increase frustration. When you're facing mobs of enemies without understanding the best way to approach the scenario while dying constantly I could see the frustration build. On top of THAT the game is long as hell.

When you couple a lengthy, difficult to learn game with a moderately high level of difficulty (for some) and a review deadline I could see some serious frustration resulting from that.

Knowing Brad's history I can very easily see how he could get find this game infuriating and his opinion is not invalid. There is no doubt that, for a certain subset of gamers, RE6 is going to be a frustrating game that isn't any fun to play. That doesn't mean there is something rewarding in there for those that learn how to play.

The story isn't hard to follow as is presented, there's no need to play chronologically.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. Since some people feel so strongly about playing chronologically I thought the story was hard to follow or there were some gaps that where avoided by playing chronologically!

Yeah, he generally seems to struggle with this kind of thing even in modern games which hold your hand throughout. So, when faced with a game which fails to offer ANY sort of aid, it's clear that he simply isn't up to the task.

Most people reviewing these games have deadlines to worry about and RE6 is definitely a game that is going to stand in the way of that deadline.

The controls are complex and nuanced but the game fails to explain them to you instead relying on player experimentation. It's kind of old school in that sense, but for those used to modern games, it's a kick to the head. On top of that, failing to make full use of the controls can result in a LOT of deaths in this case and increase frustration. When you're facing mobs of enemies without understanding the best way to approach the scenario while dying constantly I could see the frustration build. On top of THAT the game is long as hell.

When you couple a lengthy, difficult to learn game with a moderately high level of difficulty (for some) and a review deadline I could see some serious frustration resulting from that.

Knowing Brad's history I can very easily see how he could get find this game infuriating and his opinion is not invalid. There is no doubt that, for a certain subset of gamers, RE6 is going to be a frustrating game that isn't any fun to play. That doesn't mean there is something rewarding in there for those that learn how to play.

Yeah, to be fair, I spent 3-4 hours in the demo goofing around and figuring out everything I could do. When I started the game and fought the first J'avo I was rolling and jumping out of the way of their swings and it was awesome, but if you didn't know that, the game (bizzarely) doesn't teach the dodge stuff in the tutorial. So I could understand that for a little while. Not for the 20+ hours where they discovered a "useless" dodge during I love mondays. Oh Brad.

def sim

I'm having a weird time with this game. Im loving the good parts, and I'm laughing my ass off at the bad parts. In Jakes chapter 2 I had a blast with the
snowmobile sequence in the avalanche
because it's so fucking dumb and terrible. The game is almost like an inverted deadly premonition in that way.

It's such a crap fight, but a lot of fun struggling through that stupidity with a friend. A day or so ago, someone here asked if you can tech roll out of the knockdown to prevent sliding down the slope. The answer is no!

I was praying that the metacritic score would tell Capcom that they need to return the series back to its roots, but this game will probably move over 5 million copies so you can expect the next game to be even worse.

Gbraga

You know, I have nothing against people not getting into the game's mechanics, not everyone wants to mess around for minutes just to figure out the controls, not everyone is into in-depth combat systems and stuff like that, that's perfectly fine. I just really don't get why you would bash on a game's gameplay if you don't even understand it.

Being too hard to figure out (although I disagree it is, but I have some experience with combat and fighting games) is a problem, that's for sure. You can bash on Capcom for using the Prelude for stupid QTEs instead of teaching the player or bash on the game for not providing you enough information about the gameplay mechanics, no problem, but please don't bash on something you don't understand, it sounds stupid.

This has probably been asked before, but how indicative is the demo version of the final product (I played the 360 version)? I played through the Leon demo campaign today and while it wasn't spectacular and looked kind of lackluster in parts, I thought it was solid and pretty fun.

dark10x

Yeah, to be fair, I spent 3-4 hours in the demo goofing around and figuring out everything I could do. When I started the game and fought the first J'avo I was rolling and jumping out of the way of their swings and it was awesome, but if you didn't know that, the game (bizzarely) doesn't teach the dodge stuff in the tutorial. So I could understand that for a little while. Not for the 20+ hours where they discovered a "useless" dodge during I love mondays. Oh Brad.
Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting that you could just intuitively pick up the game and know how to play but Brad never came to grips with the game. I spent time learning it as well via the demo as well and the game really rewards you for doing so. Simply understanding the full potential of the controls completely changes the way the game plays.

Domstercool

This has probably been asked before, but how indicative is the demo version of the final product (I played the 360 version)? I played through the Leon demo campaign today and while it wasn't spectacular and looked kind of lackluster in parts, I thought it was solid and pretty fun.

I felt the demo ended when that first chapter started to get good. That chapter nearly took me 2 hours to finish. :O

DangerStepp

I didn't mean that RE5 is crap, I liked it a lot although nowhere near RE4. I just used RE5 as an example since the general consensus is that it's the worst in the mainline series.
Either way, I still agree with you about RE5; I didn't like it very much.

No way is it complete and utter crap.

Yeah just ignore every other comment of people who say they are enjoying the game and focus on the most dramatically negative assessment of the game.

I'm personally enjoying the game, although it isn't without its flaws, some of which are large hurdles to overcome (FOV for instance). I think all the negative reviews helped temper my expectations as I went into RE6 expecting a disaster, but it is actually extremely enjoyable.

Edit: Also, I do not understand people who say the game isn't polished. There are no glitches, graphics are great, and the presentation and cutscenes are superb. This game may have problems, but polish and presentation is not one of them.
Me getting it at a reduced price has nothing to do with the game's quality.

It's just inevitable that it will happen on PC some time soon after it's released. It happens with any PC game.

Also, that's when my co-op buddy will be getting it.

Easy, TIGERS!!!

Totally agree. Great post!

Sectus

Okay, I'm now in the extra content menu and "The Mercenaries" is greyed out and it says "Unlocked after all campaigns have been completed"

Soooo errrrr, what?

I guess that must be a really rare bug. That's supposed to be unlocked right away.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting that you could just intuitively pick up the game and know how to play but Brad never came to grips with the game. I spent time learning it as well via the demo as well and the game really rewards you for doing so. Simply understanding the full potential of the controls completely changes the way the game plays.

Not to mention that Brad was completely unaware that the control layout map shows up during loading screens.

def sim

Not to mention that Brad was completely unaware that the control layout map shows up during loading screens.

Does it? Loading times are so fast that I cannot read any of them and have yet to glimpse the control layout seen in the demo.

That said, the loading screen is not where that should be anyway.

dark10x

Actually, is this really true?

In the demo, yes, it appeared between every scene, but that hasn't yet happened in the final game (which is a good thing as it would hurt the presentation, I feel).

It's not difficult to figure out without a controller map, however.

It's such a crap fight, but a lot of fun struggling through that stupidity with a friend. A day or so ago, someone here asked if you can tech roll out of the knockdown to prevent sliding down the slope. The answer is no!

I actually liked that sequence quite a bit. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the
escape from the avalanche

does anyone have any hints for dealing with the dogs? the ones in chapter two take too many shots to put down, especially the dog who steals the key. it almost feels like it's invincible. it survived multiple shotgun blasts and a incendiary grenade. what gives?

ironcreed

Banned
does anyone have any hints for dealing with the dogs? the ones in chapter two take too many shots to put down, especially the dog who steals the key. it almost feels like it's invincible. it survived multiple shotgun blasts and a incendiary grenade. what gives?

Dodge to the side when they leap at you, turn around and blast them with the shotgun. Works for me.

Dodge to the side when they leap at you, turn around and blast them with the shotgun. Works for me.

thank you. regarding the dog with the key, can you only kill it at a specific point? because it's survived a number of shotgun blasts and kept on going like nothing happened.

Teknoman

Either way, I still agree with you about RE5; I didn't like it very much.

Me getting it at a reduced price has nothing to do with the game's quality.

It's just inevitable that it will happen on PC some time soon after it's released. It happens with any PC game.

Also, that's when my co-op buddy will be getting it.

Easy, TIGERS!!!

Oh, of course. I did the same thing with Darksiders 1 and Batman. Just used your reply since it was a reply to the guy saying the majority of the game was crap.

Actually, is this really true?

In the demo, yes, it appeared between every scene, but that hasn't yet happened in the final game (which is a good thing as it would hurt the presentation, I feel).

It's not difficult to figure out without a controller map, however.

Hmmm. Good question. I remember it in the demo but haven't come accross it in the final game. I'm very early in though.

Patrick Klepek mentioned it during the Quick Look and Brad seemed oblivious. Maybe it isn't there. If that is the case, Capcom should have at least provided a map in the leaflet that came in the NA copy of the game.

You're right though, it's not difficult to figure out - especially after 20+ hours. Plus, a little Google goes a long way!

ironcreed

Banned
thank you. regarding the dog with the key, can you only kill it at a specific point? because it's survived a number of shotgun blasts and kept on going like nothing happened.

You just have to keep pursuing him until he is dead. Should not take long. Before the other dogs leap, just be wary of how they jump to the side as well. When you get their timing down, they are not so annoying.

Gbraga

quick shots should work like a charm

Excellent post

tumblr_lzk36cjo6I1qgne6io1_500.gif

Teknoman

Its that dog.

Sectus

More info about all the DLC modes from game files. I'll not spoiler tag this as there's no story spoilers here.

These are descriptions for each mode:
- Defeat as many creatures as possible within the time limit.

- Pull off as many combos as you can! The higher the number, the more enemies that appear on your opponent's stage.

- Be the last one to survive this horrific mode. Play alone or on a team.

- Take down your human foes as the powerful creature Ustanak before they take you down.

- Compete in a battle of agents versus creatures. Protect all the civilians before the enemy devours them.

First one is obviously mercenaries. I guess the second one is onslaught because it doesn't sound similar to any of the modes which Capcom has already talked about (the 3 xbox exclusive modes).

Teknoman

thank you both.

re4 callback?

It would be nice if that was the case :p Was just saying that since it actually got a jump out of my friend during co-op, and I just blurted out "Hey, it's that dog" by reflex.

But yeah, ground shots really do help alot more than usual, and I think it has to reach a specific point in the area before it can be killed.

Hmmm. Good question. I remember it in the demo but haven't come accross it in the final game. I'm very early in though.

Patrick Klepek mentioned it during the Quick Look and Brad seemed oblivious. Maybe it isn't there. If that is the case, Capcom should have at least provided a map in the leaflet that came in the NA copy of the game.

You're right though, it's not difficult to figure out - especially after 20+ hours. Plus, a little Google goes a long way!

Honestly it shouldnt take that long. I thought everyone experimented with controls/weapons whenever they start any game...but I guess not.

EDIT: Xbox exclusive modes?

Sojgat

Holy shit, playing through Leon's campaign still so bad waiting for the damn Ai in chapter 3.
Helena fight/set piece
still the worst, even though I knew what was happening this time. How do people like this campaign best? Oh well, worst is over now.

More notes, Capcom make a brief period of invincibility after the Ai revives you please. So much better in co-op, your friend knows not to do it when there's 3 zombies standing over you.

Oh, and.. poor Brad...

Edit: Mercs was def unlocked for me after doing the prologue, and like 20 minutes of Leon's first chapter (360).

I got a question. Leons second chapter. The part where your split up from Helena. Right before you get back to the meeting point there is one little section with a door and it looks like there is a circle above it. The camera changes and it would seem like something would happen here, but never does. Anyone got any ideas?

Sojgat

I got a question. Leons second chapter. The part where your split up from Helena. Right before you get back to the meeting point there is one little section with a door and it looks like there is a circle above it. The camera changes and it would seem like something would happen here, but never does. Anyone got any ideas?

be more specific.

You know, I have nothing against people not getting into the game's mechanics, not everyone wants to mess around for minutes just to figure out the controls, not everyone is into in-depth combat systems and stuff like that, that's perfectly fine. I just really don't get why you would bash on a game's gameplay if you don't even understand it.

Being too hard to figure out (although I disagree it is, but I have some experience with combat and fighting games) is a problem, that's for sure. You can bash on Capcom for using the Prelude for stupid QTEs instead of teaching the player or bash on the game for not providing you enough information about the gameplay mechanics, no problem, but please don't bash on something you don't understand, it sounds stupid.

I have the controls down pat (ill be honest it took a while). That still doesn't change how mediocre the fights are because the enemies are just not good. Can I do a sweet dive roll and face behind me to drop a couple Guys? Yep. Does it look bad ass? Yep. Is it necessary? Nope. You can cheese almost every encounter with some quick shots+melee.

Sectus

Anyone else shocked and upset when the demo used a clipped version of this as the XMB backdrop...
319.jpg

I would like to see a high res version of this too. If someone's got direct access to the files on the RE6 PS3 demo (I guess you'd need a modded PS3 for this), there should be a 1920x1080 png file called PIC1.PNG.

Top Bottom