• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Grisby

I think I'm nearing the end of Leon's campaign. I've had a fun time. There are a few too many instances of one hit qte deaths and respawning enemies though.

I'm excited to get to Chris's part. Team Chris and all that.

MarkusRJR

Just got a chance to play Leon's campaign for 2-3 hours using my brother's copy of RE6. I feel like I'm about to throw up. I got extreme motion sickness for some reason. I don't think it was worth it either as the game just isn't fun. The graphics look nice at the very least. :/

ironcreed

Banned
I got a question. Leons second chapter. The part where your split up from Helena. Right before you get back to the meeting point there is one little section with a door and it looks like there is a circle above it. The camera changes and it would seem like something would happen here, but never does. Anyone got any ideas?

Saw that last night as well and never found the emblem you need to access the door. Met back up with Helena and went to the Cathedral. I suppose it is a secret area that we will just have to go back to and try to figure out.

ciD_Vain

I got a question. Leons second chapter. The part where your split up from Helena. Right before you get back to the meeting point there is one little section with a door and it looks like there is a circle above it. The camera changes and it would seem like something would happen here, but never does. Anyone got any ideas?

I was wondering the same thing. Leon says something like "great, i'm gonna need another key"

def sim

Saw that last night as well and never found the emblem you need to access the door. Met back up with Helena and went to the Cathedral. I suppose it is a secret area that we will just have to go back to and try to figure out.

If you two are talking about what I think you are, it's a door that will be explained once you finish all campaigns.

Though the slot for the emblem is on the door, not above it.

ironcreed

Banned
I have the controls down pat (ill be honest it took a while). That still doesn't change how mediocre the fights are because the enemies are just not good. Can I do a sweet dive roll and face behind me to drop a couple Guys? Yep. Does it look bad ass? Yep. Is it necessary? Nope. You can cheese almost every encounter with some quick shots+melee.

Not with armored foes and bosses. Even trying it with those with scream and spit attacks presents danger.

Just doing what Capcom should have - print and keep in your PS3 box. ;)

RE6%2520Controls%2520PS3.jpg

Teknoman

Not with armored foes and bosses. Even trying it with those with scream and spit attacks presents danger.

Yeah those military zombies shambling around are pretty tough.

EDIT: I think the game controls much better with a mix of new aiming controls and classic attack controls.

Afrocious

Was the door locked? Cause I found a locked door there and never went back to see if it opened after I ran back to Helena.

Riposte

Just doing what Capcom should have - print and keep in your PS3 box. ;)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ShGl12kgTdQ/UGyJf9mhGbI/AAAAAAAACVU/VqoWzqdJWqA/s640/RE6%2520Controls%2520PS3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

And on the flip side should have been a collection of those loading tips.

Anyone else having trouble with RE.net? I link my PSN account and it seems to stick for a while before it asks me to do it again. My stats won't upload :(

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah those military zombies shambling around are pretty tough.

The corpses that have armor on their bodies and heads as well. Then there are enemies with sneaky ass ranged attacks, such as spitting poison, throwing things, screaming. The mechanics they give you are required in these cases, unless you want to get hammered repeatedly.

Teknoman

The corpses that have armor on their bodies and heads as well. Then there are enemies with sneaky ass ranged attacks, such as spitting poison, throwing things, screaming. The mechanics they give you are required in these cases, unless you want to get hammered repeatedly.

Do Bloodshot
those "evolved" zombies
have some sort of armored ribcage? Because when shooting in the chest, I heard ricochet effects.

ironcreed

Banned
Do Bloodshot
those "evolved" zombies
have some sort of armored ribcage? Because when shooting in the chest, I heard ricochet effects.

Not sure on that, but I am curious. I know the ribcage kind of moves around and is exposed. Though I generally just try to blast them in the head and avoid trying to get jumped on by them. They do a ton of damage.

destrudo

About the Giantbomb quicklook.

From playing the game and reading a lot of complaints I've come to realize that this game is very oddly designed. There's a lot of mechanics available, but the game doesn't give a good explanation about how to use them and in what situations.

When I first played the game I spent a lot of time experimenting and actually had a lot of fun learning how everything works and how to play as efficiently as possible. It reminded me of old school games in that way. But a lot of players won't bother trying to understand how to use everything effectively and will instead just use what's immediately available. And in their defense it seems like you can actually get through most of the game without even having to use the cover system, the counters, or the dodging mechanics. With a certain skill set you can even avoid the need for melee attacks as well.

That being said, when they were complaining in the quick look about how the dodge was useless and how the zombies grabbed you too easily, it just seemed like they weren't really taking the time to understand all the mechanics. If you had asked me how I felt a couple hours in I might agree with him, but now that I spent a lot of time experimenting, situations like zombies jumping at me or grabbing me on the ground are really easy to avoid. It seems like a lot of people are echoing their complaints, so I'm starting to think it's coming from people who aren't putting in the time to understand the games idiosyncrasies. The game itself has so many other problems as well, it may also be that they just don't consider it worth the time.

I also wanted to say about zombies grabbing you too easily on the ground; I actually like that! Zombies should be just as dangerous on the ground as they are standing up. Whenever you get close to one there should be a risk you're going to get hurt. I also like that the J'avo don't have that problem, which makes fighting them feel a bit different.

I am two chapters into Chris and I am not liking it like I did Leon's. What a strange twist cause Chris' demo was my favorite. Its just too much shooting at enemies that shoot you. Gone is the up close and personal feel of Leon's campaign. The zombies had very better variety than Chris', even though enemies mutate they all still have guns so the strategy is still the same. There was one area in chapter 2 that is pretty large, largest I have seen in a RE game but the flow of what you are supposed to do is kind of messy. I have heard Chris' gets much better at the end which is the opposite of Leon so we shall see.

george_us

No way is it complete and utter crap.

Its very much the Dragon's Dogma/God Hand of the RE series.
I have to strongly disagree here. Dragon's Dogma and God Hand are mechanically sound games despite their quirky design while RE6 isn't. The lack of feedback when shooting enemies (which is extremely odd since Capcom is arguably the best in the business when dealing with player feedback) as well as the weird hitbox/collision detection plus the awful camera honestly makes this game crap imo. There's a lack of precision in the core mechanics that just makes the entire thing feel sloppy as hell which is strange since Capcom games almost always have very precise mechanics despite quirky design choices.

News Bot

Banned
I have to strongly disagree here. Dragon's Dogma and God Hand are mechanically sound games despite their quirky design while RE6 isn't. The lack of feedback when shooting enemies (which is extremely odd since Capcom is arguably the best in the business when dealing with player feedback) as well as the weird hitbox/collision detection plus the awful camera honestly makes this game crap imo. There's a lack of precision in the core mechanics that just makes the entire thing feel sloppy as hell which is strange since Capcom games almost always have very precise mechanics despite quirky design choices.

It actually really feels a lot like Outbreak in that regard, which suffered from similar issues overall. Probably connected to the fact that they had the same director.

jorgeton

Have you played God Hand recently? That game has awful camera and hit detection. At least RE6 lets you adjust the camera with the right stick.

Gbraga

I have the controls down pat (ill be honest it took a while). That still doesn't change how mediocre the fights are because the enemies are just not good. Can I do a sweet dive roll and face behind me to drop a couple Guys? Yep. Does it look bad ass? Yep. Is it necessary? Nope. You can cheese almost every encounter with some quick shots+melee.

You see, while I agree that it's not necessary, I don't think it's a gameplay problem, which is what I was talking about.

DMC3 and 4 absolutely don't require you to learn all the indepth gameplay, you don't need to use jump cancelling even once in order to beat the game, that doesn't make it any less fantastic that the gameplay allows you to do it.

EDIT: And no, I am not saying this game's mechanics are as good as DMC, before people start pointing fingers at me.

loving the game so far.

only complaint is... (i may have a problem putting it into words. haha)

i feel like the game so far (leon chapter 3. catacombs) has too much gameplay and too little/short cutscenes. i feel so disconnected with the characters and the story.

uncharted had a good balance of this. mgs4... had a bad one. haha.

anyone getting the same feeling?

RedAssedApe

Banned
loving the game so far.

i feel like the game so far (leon chapter 3. catacombs) has too much gameplay and too little/short cutscenes. i feel so disconnected with the characters and the story.

Someone complaining about not enough cutscenes. That's a new one. :D

This has probably been asked before, but how indicative is the demo version of the final product (I played the 360 version)? I played through the Leon demo campaign today and while it wasn't spectacular and looked kind of lackluster in parts, I thought it was solid and pretty fun.

The demo actually cuts out scenes and locations. Leon doesn't actually begin his scenario like the demo. I thought the demo was really different from how the chapter begins and plays out. The game is way better. Think of the demo as a spoiler edited post, if you will.

Carbonox

loving the game so far.

I'm with you where Leon's story is concerned. There's a bit more interest and cutscenes with Chris's one though. Yet to play Jake's.

-Amon-

Anyone else shocked and upset when the demo used a clipped version of this as the XMB backdrop...

...but you found the final game uses a clipped version of this?:

The prior was also a full frame image, where the final image has black area on top and bottom...

OH THE HORROR THE HORROR !!!!

Apocalypse_Now_2lp.gif

Please.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just had to pop in and say that the narrative conceit of Leon's first 2 chapters is complete and absolute garbage. I'm speaking of course of
Helena's refusal to tell you what's going on because "you wouldn't believe her." What is there, in the RE universe, that would be too far out there for Leon Fucking Kennedy to believe?

-Amon-

Yes, but i'm not expecting much storytelling skills from Capcom so i can bear with that.

Top Bottom