• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Just finished Leon's Campaign.

Overall I was not impressed. Still 3 more campaigns left to go but I've enjoyed Resident Evil 5 more than this so far. The J'avo enemies were more fun, the pacing was better, and the environments were more interesting. Not saying I didn't enjoy moments of it, but really started to wear me down.

I definitely see where most of the hate came from in these boss fights. They ran away with the button mashing elements from RE4/5 and just made it worse. Too many segments of the same final boss guy over and over again.

Also a friend got stuck on the rope climbing segment after I got farther ahead of him. He had to press X/A repeatedly and kept getting knocked down. Not sure what happened, but it was frustrating for a good 15mins.

For anyone who expects an answer to what the C-Virus is and how it was created, don't. Because there isn't one in the game. The reason being that a lot of the files in the game are missing quite a lot of their text. You can find the full ones on residentevil.net

The C-Virus origins in particular are here. Obviously, spoilers.

Are all the files on residentevil.net or just the ones you've unlocked?

Press RT/R1 when an enemy is about to attack, you have to time it right.

It's explained in the man...

They show it to you in the tutor...

It's in one of the loading screens?

haha now I feel like a scrub, lol never notice it honesty. In mercs, I normally just do a quick headshot and melee straight up.

Spazznid

I was checking my dogtag crap and found a few nice titles. One was for completing RE5, and one was for playing 50 hours....

I did a double-take.
WHAT!?
I've been playing for 50 FREAKING HOURS!?

I'm not even done, yet!

Dafuq.

Nutter

Was playing Co-op with a friend (chapter 2) and when we got to the boss fight we had a disconnect, making us each fight the boss by ourselves, but once done we didn't get the achievement. Has this happened to anyone else?

Was playing Co-op with a friend (chapter 2) and when we got to the boss fight we had a disconnect, making us each fight the boss by ourselves, but once done we didn't get the achievement. Has this happened to anyone else?

Well something similar. We got disconnected, then he rejoined. He lost the shotgun he picked up and most his medals. :( and the game doesn't show him having completed that chapter for some reason.

Spazznid

a friend DC'ed after we got near the en of Jake chapter 4, and when I finished it with another random player who joined after my friend left, I still got the Trophy.

As long as you started from the beginning and played strait through, it should give you the achievement.

Nutter

Well something similar. We got disconnected, then he rejoined. He lost the shotgun he picked up and most his medals. :( and the game doesn't show him having completed that chapter for some reason.

Yup pretty much the same here. If I attempt to load the game by chapters, it doesn't even show that I completed Chapter 2, however I can continue and it takes me to Ch 3.

Only had time to make a start last night and did Leon C1. Man it took 2 hours is this the average time it takes to do a chapter? Games going to keep me busy for a long time.

Also PS3 version has been solid so far. Lots of alpha effects and the frame rate doesn't totally crap out. Graphics, especially the cutscenes and lighting look great. Makes the wait for the PC version harder.

Yeah for sure. Capcom made some pretty damn good strides from RE5

Kudos

Spazznid

Only had time to make a start last night and did Leon C1. Man it took 2 hours is this the average time it takes to do a chapter? Games going to keep me busy for a long time.

short answer: Yes

Long answer: Most are around an Hour and a Half, but I just did Jake's Chapter 4 in only 58 minutes...

I actually like it, but RE5 was much better for short gameplay sessions. You had better have at least an hour or two if you're going to go into campaign.

anyone? =(

First page of this here Thread.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

You can start either campaign, except for
ADA's
and you can quit after each chapter.
Just remember to do your skills.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
anyone? =(

In the OP, though of course I know what it is. XD;

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

And you can do it in this order. The only chapter you have to do first is the prelude, which is essentially an interactive cutscene. To do the order, just select Chris's campaign and play the first two chapters. When you reach the second chapter rank screen, instead of continuing go back to the menu, select chapter select and choose Jake 1. Same process for the rest of it, whenever you finish the chapter just back out to the menu and select the next chapter via Chapter select.

short answer: Yes

Long answer: Most are around an Hour and a Half, but I just did Jake's Chapter 4 in only 58 minutes...

I actually like it, but RE5 was much better for short gameplay sessions. You had better have at least an hour or two if you're going to go into campaign.

Good to know. Thanks buddy.

Dusk Golem

The game shipped really well(4.5m) despite the reviews!

Remember that shipping =/= sales.

However, I think it is doing pretty well. As I said, the midnight launch I went to with my friend was absolutely packed and this was a rather out of the way store in my town, with several other places having midnight launches as well (I can only imagine how the most packed stores in the most popular areas were packed). I've been hearing people say the following day there were literally lines going out of stores just to pick-up/buy the game.

However, it took a while for Resident Evil 5 to get to 5.8 million console sales, and I expect that the 4.5 million copies won't sell out to soon. I do expect that the game will have probably sold 2-3 million copies before November 3rd, though.

Spazznid

Remember that shipping =/= sales.

However, I think it is doing pretty well. As I said, the midnight launch I went to with my friend was absolutely packed and this was a rather out of the way store in my town, with several other places having midnight launches as well (I can only imagine how the most packed stores in the most popular areas were packed). I've been hearing people say the following day there were literally lines going out of stores just to pick-up/buy the game.

However, it took a while for Resident Evil 5 to get to 5.8 million console sales, and I expect that the 4.5 million copies won't sell out to soon. I do expect that the game will have probably sold 2-3 million copies before November 3rd, though.

It's funny, Didn't RE1,2, and 3 only get around 2-3 million sales each?

RE is doing fine.

In the OP, though of course I know what it is. XD;

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

And you can do it in this order. The only chapter you have to do first is the prelude, which is essentially an interactive cutscene. To do the order, just select Chris's campaign and play the first two chapters. When you reach the second chapter rank screen, instead of continuing go back to the menu, select chapter select and choose Jake 1. Same process for the rest of it, whenever you finish the chapter just back out to the menu and select the next chapter via Chapter select.

bless you sir

Dusk Golem

It's funny, Didn't RE1,2, and 3 only get around 2-3 million sales each?

RE is doing fine.

Well the brand name has grown substantially ever since Resident Evil 4 and (though people may dislike them) the live-action movies. I think as more word-of-mouth gets out that the game is not nearly as shitty as some are making it out to be, more copies will be pushed. This game has been advertised pretty well, is one of the first 'big' games to come out this Holiday season, and has come out shortly after the newest RE film (which also did really well in the box office).

I'm not sure if it's going to reach the 7-8 million copies Capcom is hoping for, but it will sell well it seems regardless.

Ramirez

I noticed you didn't have it unlocked, I got it however...

Karma for the BL2 world achievement!

Also, I'm only 2 chapters cleared in Leon's campaign, but I do not see how anyone could give this game a 3 or 4, unless the other 2 campaigns are horrible...

Carbonox

I'm actually enjoying Jake's campaign quite a bit. A nice change of pace and it's addictive dashing around and melee'ing fools.

Gave Agent Hunt a go a couple of times but it takes a while to get used to due to the slow nature of the enemies you control. I can see it being incredibly fun once you get the hang of it though.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I feel like a lot of the RE6 hate comes from the lack of survival horror and from the game going mainstream. I mean it feels like RE5 with better controls. I'm honestly amazed by some of the reviews.

That aside, started Jake's campaign today. So fun just punching people. He's also my favorite mercenary character as of right now. So far I feel Chris's campaign was the best story wise.
Although I didn't like Piers I was pretty sad when he sacrificed himself like that.
Leon's story was ok but his obsession with Ada can get a bit tiring. Though Chris wasn't any better.

Carbonox

I feel like a lot of the RE6 hate comes from the lack of survival horror and from the game going mainstream. I mean it feels like RE5 with better controls. I'm honestly amazed by some of the reviews.

That aside, started Jake's campaign today. So fun just punching people. He's also my favorite mercenary character as of right now. So far I feel Chris's campaign was the best story wise.
Although I didn't like Piers I was pretty sad when he sacrificed himself like that.
Leon's story was ok but his obsession with Ada can get a bit tiring. Though Chris wasn't any better.

If you mean controller set up (despite its initial complexity), then sure but if you mean how the game controls and feels compared with RE5, then I disagree. RE5 is a solid game (despite me having many grievances with it) and controls brilliantly. It feels locked down and tight. Now if we got that pasted in to RE6 but with move and shoot and the other mechanics, I bet you that would have solved so many problems with people's complaints.

Plus I like that you can feel Chris/Sheva when you're running around. You feel their weight and it adds to the comfort of your control over them. None of that in RE6 for me.

Jawmuncher

If you mean controller set up (despite its initial complexity), then sure but if you mean how the game controls and feels compared with RE5, then I disagree. RE5 is a solid game (despite me having many grievances with it) and controls brilliantly. It feels locked down and tight. Now if we got that pasted in to RE6 but with move and shoot and the other mechanics, I bet you that would have solved so many problems with people's complaints.

Plus I like that you can feel Chris/Sheva when you're running around. You feel their weight and it adds to the comfort of your control over them. None of that in RE6 for me.

Definetly the biggst thing that I noticed playing the demos.

Definetly the biggst thing that I noticed playing the demos.

button = run thing is something I've never been particularly attached to (and have flat out hated in Rockstar games). Always felt like a hold over from prior gens and am glad it's absent here. You can make characters still feel weighty without have to hold a mandatory input. See Gears and Binary Domain

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah for sure. Capcom made some pretty damn good strides from RE5

Kudos
Well, yes and no.

They brought the PS3 version up to parity with the 360 version BUT neither version runs that well. They both slowdown all the time.

So while it runs smoother than RE5 on PS3 it runs much worse than RE5 did on 360.

Haven't played enough to think anything about the game, but man it is dark as fuck, and of course the game doesn't have a "reset brightness to default" feature, so I don't even know how to bring it back to what they set the standard at. Great.

nOoblet16

button = run thing is something I've never been particularly attached to (and have flat out hated in Rockstar games). Always felt like a hold over from prior gens and am glad it's absent here. You can make characters still feel weighty without have to hold a mandatory input. See Gears and Binary Domain

Eh? You've got to hold the A button (X in case of PS3) to run in Gears and RE6 both, it was exactly the same in RE5; ie. push analogue stick forward and press A to run.
You are not required to push the analogue forward in Gears though.

Produce

Completed all campaigns on Normal today in about 22 hours. In terms of most enjoyment, the campaigns for me rate: Ada > Chris = Leon > Jake.

I grew to enjoy the game for the clusterfuck that it is, but definitely not worth paying full price for.

And I can't use RE.net as it is being ass-pummeled apparently. How am I meant to unlock my sexy Helena costume now Capcom? ;(

Feindflug

Haven't played enough to think anything about the game, but man it is dark as fuck, and of course the game doesn't have a "reset brightness to default" feature, so I don't even know how to bring it back to what they set the standard at. Great.

Standard setting for brightness is 20 IIRC.

As far as brightness levels go I had problems on my set with the demo which was weird since I don't have problems with other games but I played the Prologue earlier and it was much better in the retail version (360).

Well, yes and no.

They brought the PS3 version up to parity with the 360 version BUT neither version runs that well. They both slowdown all the time.

So while it runs smoother than RE5 on PS3 it runs much worse than RE5 did on 360.

errr, Re5 on ps3 had a visual quality downgrade from 360, but it ran pretty smooth.

Top Bottom