• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Flib

Was so-so on the demo, but the mixed impressions all over made more interested in checking out this mess of a game.

I've only played through Leon's first chapter so far, and while there are some just absolutely baffling decisions, it's strangely addictive and enjoyable.

The end of that first chapter has so many small rooms with some nasty enemies, does anyone have any tips for keeping control in tight spaces? I ended up just spamming grenades or waiting to die and restart with full health. Just seems like the shotgun isn't great at keeping zombies away from you.

Game seems better when you are in open spaces (partially because in the dark corridors you literally can't see shit).

They get pretty dang stingy with herbs... even on normal they are hard to come by.

Good to know, I was smashing boxes like crazy.

It's not the kind of thing I normally mind or even notice, because video games, but if I'm already annoyed by some previous bullshit, it really stands out.

Just so I'm not only saying negative things, there is something about the core combat that I really like, and there have been several combat scenarios that I thought were cool and interesting. There's just so much in between that isn't worthwhile.

And while I understand and have become fairly adept at the controls, there's still something that feels bad about the way the character and camera move through the environment (especially narrower areas) that is grating on me on a subconscious level, I think.

Yeah, I noticed Chris has this really janky walk, like he's stumbling through everything. Doesn't affect gameplay to much, it's just odd.

Was so-so on the demo, but the mixed impressions all over made more interested in checking out this mess of a game.

I've only played through Leon's first chapter so far, and while there are some just absolutely baffling decisions, it's strangely addictive and enjoyable.

The end of that first chapter has so many small rooms with some nasty enemies, does anyone have any tips for keeping control in tight spaces? I ended up just spamming grenades or waiting to die and restart with full health. Just seems like the shotgun isn't great at keeping zombies away from you.

Game seems better when you are in open spaces (partially because in the dark corridors you literally can't see shit).
Quickshot + melee.

Lucent

For some reason I felt like going knife only with Leon last night and ended up messing with the melee attacks. I like that coming up behind a Zed let Leon perform a brutal insta-kill. First time I did one i involuntarily slipped out a big 'FUCK YEAH'. Too much fun.

I love the addition of viable melee for times when ammo is scarce. Even when I stocked back up on ammo I stuck with knife/melee i was having so much fun.

At first I was like "what's a zed?" And then I remembered what that guy on Shaun of the Dead said. lol.

Also, did anybody figure out you gotta tap L2+R2 to taunt in mercenaries?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Go for the headshot and the melee. Or two shots to the leg (which will drop the zombie) and a melee. Or a shot to the shoulder (which will spin the zombie around) and a melee. See the pattern here? Melee is your best friend.

Just tried the demo briefly, and did the Jake section for a few minutes.

Is the camera that close in the actual game? I found it fairly disorientating and extremely detrimental to general gameplay.

Sojgat

There are skills unlocks that help, Breakout helps and it's cheap (especially good with Leon's campaign). Use quick shots (tap LT/L1 and RT/R1 at the same time) to stun enemies and then melee them, shooting in the head or arm will spin them, and open them up as well. You can counter by hitting RT/R1 right when an enemy is about to attack/hit you. Slide and roll out of the way of enemies, you can drop remote bombs when you do this (you have to equip them first) to clear out big groups.

I use Camera: 4, Aiming: 6. I've seen a bunch of players recommend camera speed less than 5, aiming speed more than 5.

I suggested the same thing regarding a moves list in the OT back in the demo thread. Players who don't roll, slide, quick shot, etc... are going to have a horrible time with the game. Here's a quick list:

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot
-Aim while sprinting - Slide (Will stun enemies. Can slide into cover and keep Aim held down to stay in cover)
-Slide+left stick down - 180 slide
-Sprint+Melee - dash attack
-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick. Can simply duck if not holding a direction. Can cancel duck into a dodge)
-Hold Heal and reload - Reload pill container
-(Jake's Hand to Hand) Hold Aim until target is acquired, then mash Melee - Three hit combo
-(Knives only) While aiming, left stick down+Melee - Stab attack
-Y/Triangle while aiming certain weapons - Select fire mode
*Can quick shot with knives and grenades
*Stagger system still in effect. Headshot a humanoid enemy to stagger them, then perform a contextual melee (front or back) for massive damage.

I might have forgotten some but it's a start.

Sojgat

Just tried the demo briefly, and did the Jake section for a few minutes.

Is the camera that close in the actual game? I found it fairly disorientating and extremely detrimental to general gameplay.

Chris has a slightly more zoomed out camera, and it changes for the other campaigns at times. When you're dashing the camera also zooms out , you should be dashing a lot, I found it helps.

marrec

Banned
I was able to play about 2 hours last night with my SO.

The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth is that unskippable un Co-Opable Prelude. It's only 5-10 minutes, but as someone who came into it with the plan of playing it couch co-op from the beginning it was a big bummer having to do that shit before we could get to the real game.

After that it was great.

2scoops

Man, Capcom just teasing with some of these fixed camera angles.

Yep! Seen a few, and I have to say its a nice touch.

I would also like to say, I'm really liking this game. I definitely feel I got my monies worth. Plus I got a sweet steel case!

Moze

Banned
is anyone else having disc drive noise problems on the ps3? i got a new ps3 (cech 3000) the noise that is coming from the drive is extremely annoying, it literally never stops. i never had this problem with my old slim

the noise im talking about is the loading noise...it sounds somewhat like a printer

im guessing it has something to do with this model. does the super slim have this problem?

I put in about 4 chapters worth of Leon's campaign last night. This game is awesome so far, I am really enjoying it. The graphics are much better than my demo experience, for some reason it looked really flat and the lighting was ugly in the demo. I'd say it is one of the best looking games on consoles.

The controls and camera took a lot of getting used to but after messing with the settings I've found a sweet spot with Camera 4 and Aim 5, using laser sight of course. I use quick shots first to stun enemies, followed up w melee and when stamina is out I switch to shotgun or another power weapon while it regenerates. I watched Brad's Quicklook and my god is he terrible. I hope people aren't actually playing the game that way. I have to roll and run around constantly to dodge attacks. Standing still and aiming gets you destroyed, especially in tight spaces. The risk/reward of using quick shots and melee but losing stamina has been a really cool gameplay mechanic. The action is frantic at it's peak, yet Leon's campaign has had some really awesome/scary locations with no action and it had me nervous last night in the dark. I love how this game makes me run away from enemies rather than fight; there is this constant sense of being pursued. I also love how varied the environments have been and there hasn't been a single section where I've been like "Damn I wish this would end."

On the negative side, the story has been incoherent so far. Everything is implied, nothing is fleshed out and it bugs me. I finally met up with two characters from one of the other campaigns (and holy smokes that was awesome), but that was the only time I actually felt anything beyond indifference for the characters. Also, there are some really cheap things about this game that have caused instances of intense frustration. Why the FUCK can't I shoot zombies on the ground before they "activate" - seriously fuck that, it's like a guaranteed loss of health unless I preemptively dodge past them, which breaks the experience for me. There are also times when you are killed instantly with no warning (fucking EMT truck, god damn you), and there are a few quick-time events that are just bullshit. The game also has a tough learning curve and makes no attempt to explain fundamental mechanics about how to play it. If you try to play like RE5 (or RE4 I assume) it will end poorly. The cover mechanic is complete shit - I don't use it at all so I imagine I will hate Chris' campaign.

With all things considered, this has been the best gaming purchase for me in a long time. I bought the RE6 Anthology for PS3 which came with RE1 through RE6, and I've gotten at least $60 worth from Leon's campaign so far. The enemies are varied and extremely dangerous, and they keep me running for my life. I love the environments/graphics and the pacing kept me playing way longer than I intended last night. The controls - after a painful learning process - are actually pretty great, though I am dreading Chris' faux-Gears campaign. I strongly recommend people give this game a chance for themselves.

Seik

Banned
Oh yeah, got the game yesterday and did the first chapters with Leon and Chris.
I suck real bad, I died at least 3 times on each. =_=

What the fuck with these reviews, I mean, I know it have some issues, but its no reason to slap anything below 5.0 on this. Its far from being that much of a mess.

Carbonox

is anyone else having disc drive noise problems on the ps3? i got a new ps3 (cech 3000) the noise that is coming from the drive is extremely annoying, it literally never stops. i never had this problem with my old slim

the noise im talking about is the loading noise...it sounds somewhat like a printer

im guessing it has something to do with this model. does the super slim have this problem?

I experienced that too. I have a PS3 slim and haven't encountered the issue with any other games but with RE6 it sounds like a printer.

Moze

Banned
I experienced that too. I have a PS3 slim and haven't encountered the issue with any other games but with RE6 it sounds like a printer.

i see. this is the first game iv played on the new system so i wasn't sure whether it was normal or not. im used to the noise during loading screens but i dont expect to hear the noise constantly while im actually playing the game.

its actually hard to just ignore

Mitsurux

From the OP:

Players can consolidate their favourite three skills into a "set" which can then be equipped by the player.
These "sets" can also be unlocked throughout the game, allowing the player to switch between up to eight different sets of skills during gameplay.
This means, essentially, players could take with them up to 24 different skills into one game at any one time.

How are/when are new "Sets" (blank) unlocked (soiler tag if needed)... and how do you switich between them mid game? (have no access to the on-line guide at work).

Mit-

Did they improve the camera from the public demo? The character seems to be a bit smaller. It looks like they matched it to Resident Evil 4 (the retail camera reminds me of that RE6 demo/RE4 comparison picture someone posted here a long time ago).

Does this game REALLY only have 3 Mercenaries maps (that's all I saw listed in the guide), plus 3 retailer preorder exclusive Mercenaries maps? Even with all 6 of those, that's only SIX maps. That sucks ass. I know RE5 had more than that.

Character count doesn't seem that bad, although I miss no classic costumes (like a Leon RPD outfit). IIRC, isn't there some preorder Mercenaries character pack from somewhere that has RPD Leon? I haven't seen any mention in the OP but I swear I saw RPD Leon somewhere for a preorder pack.

From the OP:

Players can consolidate their favourite three skills into a "set" which can then be equipped by the player.
These "sets" can also be unlocked throughout the game, allowing the player to switch between up to eight different sets of skills during gameplay.
This means, essentially, players could take with them up to 24 different skills into one game at any one time.

How are/when are new "Sets" (blank) unlocked (soiler tag if needed)... and how do you switich between them mid game? (have no access to the on-line guide at work).

You need to complete one campaign

JoeFenix

Just finished Jake's chapter 2 and it was the most ugly, badly designed, unfinished looking, awful garbage I've played in a LONG time.

This game is so inconsistent, it goes from genuinely fun if a bit janky to plain disgustingly bad. There's so much wrong here that it's not even funny.

Hopefuly Jake's campaign gets more tolerable soon or I'm done. This game loves to put you through badly scripted insta fail scenarios, atleast on professional you just sometimes die for no fucking reason on those things.

This game was DEFINITELY pushed out the door WAY to early, needed atleast 6 more months and alot of the fat removed. If only they had focused on the action part and made interesting scenarios based around that....

Oh well, I'm glad I rented this turd sandwich instead of buying it! This shit was bad enough to overpower all the good points, even the jeep section felt more polished.... how much lower can the lows get?

Currently playing through dusk golems chronological order, and I gotta say, I'm really liking all the homage bits all over the game. Slight spoilers for the easter eggs I've found so far.

Chris 1 - Not a whole lot here, honestly.

Chris 2 -
The City Hall foyer is a clear combination of the Spencer Mansion and the RE2 police station main hall. It even has a serpent medallion behind the stairs where the door to Lisas lair would be.

Jake 1 -
When Sherry falls down into the sewer with Jake, he asks her if she lost something, and she brushes him off as a callback to her RE2 pendant.

Jake 2 -
A cabin fight (RE4) followed by a mine that looks strikingly similar to the machine/ice room from the Code Veronica antarctic base (CVX) and pressure doors with the biggest fattest bright red valve handle possible (Various). You even use a drill to escape but are stopped by the female antagonist and are captured! (CVX)

Leon 1 -
Isn't the director of this game the same guy who directed Outbreak? Because this entire chapter is Outbreak in microcosm running backwards. University to Subway to running battle from the ground floor of a building all the way to the roof, even including a bunch of shitty "other" survivors that may or may not make it.

Please lemme know if I missed any.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game was DEFINITELY pushed out the door WAY to early, needed atleast 6 more months and alot of the fat removed. If only they had focused on the action part and made interesting scenarios based around that....

Oh well, I'm glad I rented this turd sandwich instead of buying it! This shit was bad enough to overpower all the good points, even the jeep section felt more polished.... how much lower can the lows get?

The game feels like nobody was there to say, even once, "is this the right way to do this?"
I honestly don't know if more time would have helped. It might have been a failure of leadership and vision, as well as the challenge of integrating such a huge dev team.

JoeFenix

The game feels like nobody was there to say, even once, "is this the right way to do this?"
I honestly don't know if more time would have helped. It might have been a failure of leadership and vision, as well as the challenge of integrating such a huge dev team.

I could personally tolerate some of the bad gameplay scenarios if the game was ATLEAST polished and looked nice. That's the least you expect from a RE game, I'm willing to overlook some flaws but this is just visual diarrhea honestly.

Framerate issues, horrible textures, badly lit environments, lack of cohesion (middle of a blizzard and the trees don't even move). Just amateur hour all around, camera zooming in on random shit while you're fighting in that cabin, throwing off your aim...

This game has some incredibly fun action mechanics which makes me want to like it but this is the final straw. I'll try to push through but if it doesn't get better then I'm bailing out.

Curufinwe

I feel like if they employed a good consulting firm six months ago and used their feedback to make some pretty basic changes, they could have easily bumped the average review score up 15 points.

RedSwirl

I'm at Chapter 3 Leon. Lemme guess:
there's some freemasonry shit going on with the Simmons family as one of the main houses or something, and it's gonna turn out that Spencer was another one. Maybe even Ashford.
How close am I?

Framerate issues, horrible textures, badly lit environments, lack of cohesion (middle of a blizzard and the trees don't even move). Just amateur hour all around, camera zooming in on random shit while you're fighting in that cabin, throwing off your aim...

So... PC version then?

Carbonox

I'm at Chapter 3 Leon. Lemme guess:
there's some freemasonry shit going on with the Simmons family as one of the main houses or something, and it's gonna turn out that Spencer was another one. Maybe even Ashford.
How close am I?

I honestly have no fucking clue. I don't recall seeing/watching/hearing a single explanation behind any of that. :lol There better be more in the files.

Carbonox

Is there a list of serpent medallions yet btw? I'm sure I already missed some.

I haven't actively searched one out yet but I do have the LE guide coming soon which no doubt has the list. Are the files solely connected to the medallions? Or can you get files other ways? Bit confusing.

Trigger

I'm starting to understand the complaints. Some of Jake's first chapter has been a pain in the ass because of how poorly the camera can be.

Random question: Does the weapon I have change based on who I'm playing in a campaign? I decided to play as Sherry in this chapter. Would playing as Jake change that? Sorry if it's been asked already.

nOoblet16

Also I think there's a mistake in the game's command system.
"Call" actually makes your character say "Follow me"
And "Follow" makes your character ask the other to "Fall back"

Anyone noticed this ?

This is a +, Right?

I don't see how this can be a negative...

Ofcourse !

Carbonox

Also I think there's a mistake in the game's command system.
"Call" actually makes your character say "Follow me"
And "Follow" makes your character ask the other to "Fall back"

Anyone noticed this ?

Ofcourse !

Yeah, I've been getting confused and thinking I've been pushing the wrong commands but sure enough, I'm pushing the right ones but the character says the complete opposite. :lol

gconsole

I fully blame the director. He's the one who can say yes or no. Somehow he said yes all the way...

Mit-

Did they improve the camera from the public demo? The character seems to be a bit smaller. It looks like they matched it to Resident Evil 4 (the retail camera reminds me of that RE6 demo/RE4 comparison picture someone posted here a long time ago).

Does this game REALLY only have 3 Mercenaries maps (that's all I saw listed in the guide), plus 3 retailer preorder exclusive Mercenaries maps? Even with all 6 of those, that's only SIX maps. That sucks ass. I know RE5 had more than that.

Character count doesn't seem that bad, although I miss no classic costumes (like a Leon RPD outfit). IIRC, isn't there some preorder Mercenaries character pack from somewhere that has RPD Leon? I haven't seen any mention in the OP but I swear I saw RPD Leon somewhere for a preorder pack.

Wow just saw that Retro Mercenaries character packs. Looks atrocious. The blocky models for the classic characters aren't even the same ones. They made NEW blocky models. Ugh. I wish they didn't take that incredibly lazy route and made REAL renders of the characters in their classic outfits. Now we likely won't see any real classic outfits in future DLC. Probably more stupid goofy shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I fully blame the director. He's the one who can say yes or no. Somehow he said yes all the way...

Yeah, I'd say it's a game that feels like nobody made any real choices about what to include. Every idea they had, they shoved in there. Including a 40 second long sequence where you alternate pressing R1 and L1 to climb a rope. It's just the most pathetic way to interact with a videogame imaginable.

And no, it's not the same thing as Heavy Rain. Lots of people didn't like it, but at least every interaction felt like it was considered in some way. "Does this make the player feel the way we want them to?" I don't think that question was asked in RE6's development.

I feel like if they employed a good consulting firm six months ago and used their feedback to make some pretty basic changes, they could have easily bumped the average review score up 15 points.

I'm not sure if you're being glib since you're talking about the review score as the measure of success and not the gameplay itself, but I agree.

I have a laundry list of minor criticisms about the Leon campaign that could easily have been addressed.

Carbonox

I think the task was too big for him, especially given his past experience. Give him a smaller scale title to direct, not one of the most anticipated titles of the year, in a series where mainline titles are held to an enormous standard usually.

This should have gone to someone else more senior and experienced with the series. The director for RE6 only did the Outbreak games AFAIK. That's fucking shoddy proof of competence.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1618179/

Dunno how accurate it is but look at that. Who made the decision to bring this guy in to make some of the most important design decisions for the game?

Top Bottom