• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Pein

Banned
I really miss weapon selection and upgrades. I find this game so bland, fuck all the qte's and fuck that rope in Leon's campaign.

Also the game is so damn dark on my plasma, even with max brightness its hard to seen enemies sometimes.

Z3M0G

fixed

Actually the official manual is on the website.Click me!

This stuff is kind of cool, not sure how valuable and "strategic" the use it would be in this game though...

Attacking Instructions (Setting tags)
"Press and hold the L1/LT button, aim at an enemy, and press the Circle/B button to tag that enemy. Your partner will attack any tagged enemies first. (Press and hold the L1/LT button, move the cursor off of the tagged enemy, and press the Circle/B button to untag that enemy)"

I just played Mercenaries until 3:35 a.m.... and I normally go to bed at 11:00 p.m. lol... it will be a fun day at work.

I'm having a blast with the game. I unlocked all the alternate costumes in Mercs, even Schoolgirl Sherry and Pimp -?- Jake (I played all their campaign on Amateur, skipping all cutscenes and running like crazy from checkpoint to checkpoint, only fighting when obligatory).

Mercenaries is so much better than RE5. Yes, the Africa level in RE5 is better than the City level in RE6 mercenaries, but the gameplay is so improved, it just works. I was playing with a random, scoring S all over the place, Mercenaries rounds stops when you hit 200,000+ points.

Now I have 190,000 skill points to burn, and I want to spend them on skills to create a kickass character for Professional mode. Any tips on how to spend them? I haven't bought any of those skills yet.

Welp, aside from some problems with those QTEs where you have to hold and release the triggers and the game's habit of interrupting with too many cut-aways/cutscenes I really, really enjoyed Leon's campaign.

There's a great game somewhere in here, it's a shame there's a whole bunch of crap and fat that gets in the way of it.

Got Chris's campaign left to go, hope it's okay.

x-Lundz-x

In the OP, though of course I know what it is. XD;

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

And you can do it in this order. The only chapter you have to do first is the prelude, which is essentially an interactive cutscene. To do the order, just select Chris's campaign and play the first two chapters. When you reach the second chapter rank screen, instead of continuing go back to the menu, select chapter select and choose Jake 1. Same process for the rest of it, whenever you finish the chapter just back out to the menu and select the next chapter via Chapter select.

I am starting the game tonight with a buddy of mine. So GAF in your opinion, should we play the game 1 campaign at a time (Leon --> Chris --> Jake) or play in the order listed in the quote? It's like the developers are doing a Pulp Fiction like timeline with this game or something. I'm just curious what you guys think would be the better way to experience the story.

Nemesis_

I am starting the game tonight with a buddy of mine. So GAF in your opinion, should we play the game 1 campaign at a time (Leon --> Chris --> Jake) or play in the order listed in the quote? It's like the developers are doing a Pulp Fiction like timeline with this game or something. I'm just curious what you guys think would be the better way to experience the story.

If you are in the business of experiencing the story - play them in order. Not by campaign, but rather by chapter.

ironcreed

Banned
Staring Leon chapter 4 now, chapter 3 was awful, the start of chapter 4 it's like wow. So far the game it's awesome, minor complaing here and there, but nothing that breaks the game for me.

Pretty much how I am seeing it. There have been a couple of really low points, but on the grand scale it's been great so far. A bad segment here or there is not enough to make me hate the entire game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
"Oh no this door is barred on the other side. Maybe I should reach through the 8 inch gaps in the bars that are literally an inch above the wooden plank holding the door shut..."

Your game assets should support your narrative, dipshits.

"No, I'd rather run around this cut and paste maze with respawning enemies for a while. If only I could step over or around a chicken crate, this would be a snap."

You hold my hand the whole way through a campaign of mostly complicated-looking linear corridors with an objective marker on the screen. Then you want me to work through a maze with no distinguishing characteristics anywhere.

The invisible walls gripe is hardly unique to RE6, but they're really inviting that criticism here. Normally games don't annoy me enough to crack that one out.

Nemesis_

How much of a divergence would it be to swap Chris 5 and Leon 5?

They both end with rather grand endgames, though I personally feel Leon's is a bit longer and substantial and thus feels more like a classic Resident Evil ending.

I would end with Leon's personally (but Chris' as a final ending would also be fine too)

Spazznid

Been playing by the timeline and although not ALL of it is perfect, I like it this way.

It creates more tension as all three campaigns approach a cliffhanger at once.

Adr1an

Question here. We have two ps3's in our house one in my room and my brothers room could we both play through the story together so we both have a full screen.

Spazznid

"Oh no this door is barred on the other side. Maybe I should reach through the 8 inch gaps in the bars that are literally an inch above the wooden plank holding the door shut..."

Your game assets should support your narrative, dipshits.

"No, I'd rather run around this cut and paste maze with respawning enemies for a while. If only I could step over or around a chicken crate, this would be a snap."

You hold my hand the whole way through a campaign of mostly complicated-looking linear corridors with an objective marker on the screen. Then you want me to work through a maze with no distinguishing characteristics anywhere.

The invisible walls gripe is hardly unique to RE6, but they're really inviting that criticism here. Normally games don't annoy me enough to crack that one out.

lol

Yeah, some of the assets are rediculous.
We've been lifting each other over 9-foot walls, bot oh no, a 6-foot door is in our way with nothing stopping us from climbing over it.

I love the cheesiness of it, though.

Question here. We have two ps3's in our house one in my room and my brothers room could we both play through the story together so we both have a full screen.

Did you buy digital?
If you had digital, you could both download it off of your profile that purchased it.
If you got a physical copy, then you'd need either another physical copy or a digital copy to run it on both systems.

Carbonox

After I finish all of the campaigns on normal, I'll go to Veteran next, rather than jumping to Pro. I want to gradually get through and improve my play without too much frustration. Additionally, I'll also play as the other character in each one that I didn't play as, plus will go through the game chronologically this time, rather than by campaign.

Will shake it up a bit, I think as I've been going through currently campaign-by-campaign.

After finishing Chris's campaign last night.. It's fun, but damn if there aren't some baffling decisions outside the actual gameplay (menus, saving etc). As far as playing it goes, the camera was mostly manageable but it's definitely a little rough in places (chapter 3, for example), clipping through objects and stuff. I'm not keen on how skills work and I miss inventory 'management'. I'm actually a big fan of the new dodging mechanics; they give you a greater degree of control, insofar as Resi games go. They definitely take some getting used to as you're the one who has to avoids attacks 100% of the time, as opposed the QTE dodges from RE4-5.

Really not sure about these COD-ification comments regarding Chris, either. I mean, you fought projectile enemies in both RE4 and 5, and I seem to recall some of them wearing military regalia - it was never about just shooting Ganados/Majini with sticks and torches. If it's purely a 'tone' thing, I'm really not sure what people expected from a BSAA 'task force'..

Did you buy digital?
If you had digital, you could both download it off of your profile that purchased it.
If you got a physical copy, then you'd need either another physical copy or a digital copy to run it on both systems.

I got the digital version as well and was thinking of giving this a shot with the Mrs.

Replicant

They both end with rather grand endgames, though I personally feel Leon's is a bit longer and substantial and thus feels more like a classic Resident Evil ending.

I would end with Leon's personally (but Chris' as a final ending would also be fine too)

I would end it with Chris since I feel it's more specific and special to Chris himself whereas Leon's ending is just you know, concluding the story rather than his own arc. But I guess it depends also on what kind of boss you want to fight in the end. If you want the difficult boss as the last enemy, do Leon's last. Chris' last boss is so dead easy I want to kiss whoever created it. Probably the easiest boss fight that each 3 characters have to face. Leon's boss makes me want to punch someone's face.

Riposte

I would end it with Chris since I feel it's more specific and special to Chris himself whereas Leon's ending is just you know, concluding the story rather than his own arc. But I guess it depends also on what kind of boss you want to fight in the end. If you want the difficult boss as the last enemy, do Leon's last. Chris' last boss is so dead easy I want to kiss whoever created it. Probably the easiest boss fight that each 3 characters have to face. Leon's boss makes me want to punch someone's face.

That's not reassuring on any count. I just want the most spectacular ending, to make a good show for the person I'm playing with. Which chapter is the best finale?

Spazznid

So, the digital version of the game does not have that pesky 24-hour lock DRM that Capcom used in Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Final Fight? Is it confirmed?

Oh, I have no idea about DRM...
I got physical... I was just speaking in general terms, if there's DRM, then I don't know.

Also my RE.net isn't updating.

Played over 50 hours and it says 0.

Curufinwe

This stuff is kind of cool, not sure how valuable and "strategic" the use it would be in this game though...

"Press and hold the L1/LT button, aim at an enemy, and press the Circle/B button to tag that enemy. Your partner will attack any tagged enemies first. (Press and hold the L1/LT button, move the cursor off of the tagged enemy, and press the Circle/B button to untag that enemy)"

Huh, so stamina is really called the "Physical Combat Gauge (PC Gauge)".

These Skills tips seem pretty useful, but making steadier aim something you have to unlock and buy was a TERRIBLE decision.

http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/page-45.html

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
apart from the one boss I didn't like and frustration with a single QTE... i don't have a complaint. this game has been fantastic. can't put it down.

i like it even more than RE5.

also... camera and controls are second nature. i actually enjoy the ass-close camera now.

Huh, so stamina is really called the "Physical Combat Gauge (PC Gauge)".

These Skills tips seem pretty useful, but making steadier aim something you have to unlock and buy was a TERRIBLE decision.

http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/page-45.html

The sway/shake isn't even that bad. It's just RE4/5 aim. Down the scope is a little rough... but I don't snipe. When I do, it's still manageable.

Replicant

That's not reassuring on any count. I just want the most spectacular ending, to make a good show for the person I'm playing with. Which chapter is the best finale?

Well, if you want the most bang for your money then you should go with Leon's chapter as the last one. It's definitely the one that feels like you're doing everything to save the world. It's the one with the main enemy and it's also the one where the enemy delivers the "No Hope Left" slogan that RE6 throw around.

I just like Chris' last boss because it's easy and his ending feels more emotional to me. :p

I really like this game. I mean there are frustrating parts but overall, I enjoyed this game more than RE4 and RE5, both of which have the most god-damn boring settings and enemies type. The settings and enemies in this one are so varied that I never get bored exploring the game. I can't wait for my steelbooks to arrive now.

Sectus

I just realized something new about the combat system. Everybody's are aware of the basic 2-hit melee combo which lets you do a more powerful melee afterwards. If you have your back turned to the enemy when you do a basic melee, you'll do a different melee with very different properties. For Leon and other male characters, you'll hit the enemy with the elbow which stuns the enemy in a way which lets you do a very powerful melee right afterwards. And this works for both zombies and j'avo. For Helena and other females, you'll do a powerful kick which always knocks down the enemy. Not as good as the elbow, but still pretty darn useful.

Those are the same things. You can turn herbs into pill. In fact, you should do that instead of eating the herbs directly because that's not cost-effective (since you only get 1 pill out of 1 herb). 1 green herb + 1 red herb = 6 pills. 2 green herbs = 3 pills.

I meant it more as there was one set of herbs at the beginning, that I turned into pills. Then there were no herbs for the rest of chapter 1, so I was out of pills at the last 2 or 3 checkpoints.

Evolved1

I meant it more as there was one set of herbs at the beginning, that I turned into pills. Then there were no herbs for the rest of chapter 1, so I was out of pills at the last 2 or 3 checkpoints.

They get pretty dang stingy with herbs... even on normal they are hard to come by.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
lol

Yeah, some of the assets are rediculous.
We've been lifting each other over 9-foot walls, bot oh no, a 6-foot door is in our way with nothing stopping us from climbing over it.

I love the cheesiness of it, though.

It's not the kind of thing I normally mind or even notice, because video games, but if I'm already annoyed by some previous bullshit, it really stands out.

Just so I'm not only saying negative things, there is something about the core combat that I really like, and there have been several combat scenarios that I thought were cool and interesting. There's just so much in between that isn't worthwhile.

And while I understand and have become fairly adept at the controls, there's still something that feels bad about the way the character and camera move through the environment (especially narrower areas) that is grating on me on a subconscious level, I think.

Adr1an

Did you buy digital?

Well we have one physical now so we probably buy another. So me and brother can both play online through 1 router and our respective accounts would earn trophies?

Evolved1

It's not the kind of thing I normally mind or even notice, because video games, but if I'm already annoyed by some previous bullshit, it really stands out.

Just so I'm not only saying negative things, there is something about the core combat that I really like, and there have been several combat scenarios that I thought were cool and interesting. There's just so much in between that isn't worthwhile.

And while I understand and have become fairly adept at the controls, there's still something that feels bad about the way the character and camera move through the environment (especially narrower areas) that is grating on me on a subconscious level, I think.

This bothered me for a while. Did eventually go away though... about halfway through Chris' campaign and I felt like I'd mastered it.

This game can be incredibly janky. It can also control perfectly... after it clicks. Whether or not that is good design, to put it behind a barrier of hours of playtime, I don't know. I just know that getting ready to finish Chris, and I have this shit down now. Even in tight dark quarters.

It's imo all about getting a feel for how the character adjusts to light vs heavy inputs, and knowing when to steer with the camera or center it with player's direction. It's cumbersome, at first, but I think becomes second nature after some time.

edit: also... 90° turn... really great. don't know if everyone knows this even exists.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep. This is one of the major things that continues to annoy me. The way the camera lurches along with every step makes the framerate seem lower than it might actually be at any one point. The character movement isn't as smooth or weighty as it should be either.

Are you kidding me?!!?!? You have no idea how many times I wanted Piers to snipe someone for me.

todahawk

I just realized something new about the combat system. Everybody's are aware of the basic 2-hit melee combo which lets you do a more powerful melee afterwards. If you have your back turned to the enemy when you do a basic melee, you'll do a different melee with very different properties. For Leon and other male characters, you'll hit the enemy with the elbow which stuns the enemy in a way which lets you do a very powerful melee right afterwards. And this works for both zombies and j'avo. For Helena and other females, you'll do a powerful kick which always knocks down the enemy. Not as good as the elbow, but still pretty darn useful.

For some reason I felt like going knife only with Leon last night and ended up messing with the melee attacks. I like that coming up behind a Zed let Leon perform a brutal insta-kill. First time I did one i involuntarily slipped out a big 'FUCK YEAH'. Too much fun.

I love the addition of viable melee for times when ammo is scarce. Even when I stocked back up on ammo I stuck with knife/melee i was having so much fun.

Riposte

Are you kidding me?!!?!? You have no idea how many times I wanted Piers to snipe someone for me.

Yeah, this is what I did in the demo against that annoying as machine gun turret. I couldn't really say if he succeeded though now that I think about it. Once I get the game I'm to experiment with it whenever I'm not playing co-op.

Evolved1

Yeah... I posted about this in the demo thread. Easiest way to set up Chris' falcon punch.

Run up to an enemy, turn away from them, press R1, profit with the follow up...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yep. This is one of the major things that continues to annoy me. The way the camera lurches along with every step makes the framerate seem lower than it might actually be at any one point. The character movement isn't as smooth or weighty as it should be either.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the framerate, too. It exacerbates the issue for sure. Just turning the camera from side to side annoys my eyes. Doesn't make it a bad game but it prevents me from enjoying it much on an aesthetic level.

Starting my PSN copy tonight

Who's campaign do I run first GAF?

This is how ive been doing it

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada
Campaign

^ thanks DuskGolem for that play though order

Sojgat

Has anybody got any footage of stylish/expert play in Mercenaries? I've been looking for something to demonstrate the mechanics, all the vids I've looked at, people are playing rather safe.

Top Bottom