• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Verendus

Banned
Not exactly. Not only did POTUS die on his watch.... Leon killed him.

Leon Kingslayer.
Of course Leon killed him. We need to have a new President. Lackey does as he needs to so that the rightful one, aka Chris Goddamn Redfield, can take his place,

Eidan

You're overthinking it, having a baseless attachment to a character is the whole point... if you like Chris.

No I understand it perfectly. I like Sheva, and am upset that she will likely never appear outside of RE5. But Sheva is Claire, who was Jill, who is Helena and Sherry.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't aware other people didn't like her as well. Was it the voice actor? I can't stand her voice in the game. The voice actress is talented, but she changed Jill's entire character and demeanor to me. And she still just sounds like Fujiko.

The wetsuits? I was more than down with those. #datass

I haven't played the game, but was she really that bad? I know that they Lara Crofted her, but is there anything else you didn't like about her?

It was the face, man. The face. They took this:

Resident_Evil___Jill_And_Chris_by_tonywonyrony.jpg

And turned it into this:

1949197-e03026e13f139ae4dffc816ff26dd031.jpg

W...why??

Mit-

They made her look like Laura Croft Underaider and changed the really great RE5 voice actor.

REmake/RE5 Jill is the best Jill. I can't recall the voicework from Remake... but the VA only had a couple lines in Lost in Nightmare but they were really well done.

Is her face really that different? The comparisons I've seen all use really bad screenshots from before Revelations came out. From what I've seen while playing the game, she's got the same round nose. Her eyes do look less creepy now, though.

I just hate her voice. Her personality seems to have changed along with it. It's so bland. She sounds like a narrator whenever she's talking.

Apath

Degeneration was okay... nothing special. Worth watching maybe once, but Capcom really needs to step up their CG skills.
Is CVX any good? I'd rather get the PS3 version, but if Code Veronica is good it would be stupid to pass it up over minor platform preferences.

Second thought on Wesker coming back.

Alex was watching the events of RE5 from afar. When Wesker gets rockets to the face at the end one of his arms blows off to the land. Alex retrieves this, cuts off his own arm and attaches Albert's. Albert then takes control of Alex via arm implant.

theDeeDubs

Sven:
"Yes. In fact, it should be available on PSN for download day of launch on the North American PSN Store. There's one remaining hurdle that could change that date slightly, but 10/2 is the target. Extra effort was made to make that happen for folks like yourself. Thanks."

Since we're this close and they haven't officialy delayed it yet, I take it we'll get it day one then!

Source:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...1/29372769/resident-evil-6-psndigital-release

Woot. Good news. Thanks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is CVX any good? I'd rather get the PS3 version, but if Code Veronica is good it would be stupid to pass it up over minor platform preferences.

It's good but it's also on PSN/XBLA for $10 if you really want to play it.

Late, but in case you really want to know...

A trope is a writing/literary convention that's easiest to compare to a stereotype (though stereotype usually carries a negative connotation while a trope is neutral). Things like the types of characters that appear in a particular kind of story or how a plot arc is expected to unfold can be categorized by tropes. Tropes are essentially a way to give name to the patterns that repeatedly surface in storytelling.

Regarding the subtitle for this thread, it implies that RE has long since jumped the shark and is left with little identity because it's riddled with familiar tropes--so many tropes, in fact, that there are no more left to draw from. It plays on the RE6 "no hope left" advertising, yes.

Thanks your definition was better and easier to understand then Websters. hahaha

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's fascinating to watch the game series (and its supporting films) move closer and closer to being like the film series. I fully expect Alice to premiere at some point.

Speaking of movie stuff making it into the games... I couldn't help but laugh when Red Queen showed up in Umbrella Chronicles.

Alfredo

I don't understand why Capcom keeps changing voice actors.
Was Claire at least voiced by Alyson Court in ORC? Because that would make her the only character whose voice hasn't changed even though she appeared in several games and a movie.

Yeah, at least according to IMDB, Alyson Court still voiced Claire in Operation Raccoon City.

I don't understand why Capcom keeps changing voice actors, either. Ada had the same voice actress until OCR, and they changed Leon's voice AGAIN. What's the dealio?

It's fascinating to watch the game series (and its supporting films) move closer and closer to being like the film series. I fully expect Alice to premiere at some point.

"Reintroducing Alice Wesker. We're not sure what happened but there must have been some translation error in the past having english speakers think it was Alex."

They'll just retcon it like that.

Teknoman

I've only played CV on PS2.

I did download the RE Chronicles HD Selection off PSN though. Really great stuff for those looking for a quick run through RE0-3 in a way.

Well as long as its better than the Dreamcast version. I'll probably take that question to the Code Veronica thread though.

Having played the 6 demo multiple times, I really dont see whats wrong with the camera aside from needing to be pulled back abit. Also I hope they fixed the brightness in the PS3 retail.

Yeah, at least according to IMDB, Alyson Court still voiced Claire in Operation Raccoon City.

I don't understand why Capcom keeps changing voice actors, either. Ada had the same voice actress until OCR, and they changed Leon's voice AGAIN. What's the dealio?

I think they just switch who does Voice Over Direction and where it's done a lot.

Related to VO work Capcom used to use a program that basically allowed a word to be pasted in from an earlier recording...which is why RE1 and I think RE2 would always have those bizarre dialogue pauses, one of the voice actors said it wasn't bad reading, but that. lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've only played CV on PS2.

I did download the RE Chronicles HD Selection off PSN though. Really great stuff for those looking for a quick run through RE0-3 in a way.

I haven't played them... I might buy 'em this week since I have Move. But the little bit I watched, they really seemed to have added some production value. The voice acting and dialog is certainly improved from what I saw, and not too many liberties taken (but I only watched a short bit) though Leon and Claire stick together instead of split up at the RE2 opening. So I don't know if it goes far off the tracks.

PowderedToast

This sums up my thoughts on all of the Resident Evil protagonists. Leon vs. Chris is a false choice, because they're the same damn character. Saying you prefer one over the other just reveals which fantasy male aesthetic you enjoy looking at more, pretty boy or military He-Man.

pretty boy!

♥♥flop fringe 4eva♥♥

Sojgat

It could never get that bad, I've seen Retribution, it makes the game's storyline seem like Shakespeare. Damnation also has well choreographed action sequences, while the live action films seem to be purposefully trying to look as awful as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWAM2ihwq0&feature=player_detailpage#t=62s

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I haven't played them... I might buy 'em this week since I have Move. But the little bit I watched, they really seemed to have added some production value. The voice acting and dialog is certainly improved from what I saw, and not too many liberties taken (but I only watched a short bit) though Leon and Claire stick together instead of split up at the RE2 opening. So I don't know if it goes far off the tracks.

The nice thing is, you can play it without the Move controller.

Mr_Zombie

Ada was voiced by someone else in UC. I think it was related to Capcom hiring non-union actors at the time. At least that's how I remember Sally Cahil's explanation of her absence from UC.

On the other hands, sometimes changes are for the better. I still remember the outrage when Douglas replaced Waugh in REUC. And then he became the superior Wesker in RE5 :lol.

Different but fine, at least it's still RE5 Jill

Funfact: the only difference between pre-Wesker Jill and post-Wesker Jill is the hair color. As opposed to what the file in RE5 says, her skin color is the same.

For appearances, Sherry was also in The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City.

Leon was also in Operation Raccoon City.

I don't see how, she was basically just the result of affirmative action.

Her having ties to Chris and being able to go hand-to-hand with Wesker isn't enough? Wasn't she a part of our introduction to the BSAA?

theDeeDubs

I already have my physical copy paid off, but good news for those who want to go that route. I love that Sony is starting to do this more.

I used to be one of those "from my cold dead hands" kinda guy in regards to physical copies, but PS+ has converted me. It's just so convenient.

Team Jake.

Evolved1

It could never get that bad, I've seen Retribution, it makes the game's storyline seem like Shakespeare. Damnation also has well choreographed action sequences, while the live action films seem to be purposefully trying to look as awful as possible.

That's what I don't get... even if you were one of those who thinks the RE narrative is "insipid garbage" at least the action is pretty damn cool. For example the Wesker fights were awesome as hell. That would have been unarguably cool to see translated to the big screen. Even the average big Hollywood action sequences are usually worse than what you see in games like RE and MGS. And yet they don't use them? At least that part?

The way the previous RE movie wasted the Wesker fight... the way they translated that was soooo awful. So, imo they fail even as action movies. Because the action sucks and they can't even match videogame source material.

Eidan

I don't see how, she was basically just the result of affirmative action.

Affirmative action? What?

It's hilarious seeing the fourth film attempt to completely recreate one of the fight sequences between Wesker and Chris/Sheva. How the movie could look so much cheaper than the game is beyond comprehension.

That said, I still don't recall such a heavy emphasis on over-the-top action in the series until the Resident Evil films began. Since then the games have descended further down the rabbit hole, with BSAA training making someone the equivalent of Neo.

News Bot

Banned
That said, I still don't recall such a heavy emphasis on over-the-top action in the series until the Resident Evil films began. Since then the games have descended further down the rabbit hole, with BSAA training making someone the equivalent of Neo.

CODE:Veronica had not one, but two superhumans (Wesker and Alexia). That's where Alice came from to begin with.

The games only really started getting over-the-top with the protagonists with 4, thanks to Mikami and Gondoh.

Mr_Zombie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MNzy2eV7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRUO2VEpUM

That shit started even before movies.
Blame Matrix.

At least BSAA are trained soldiers. How can you explain Claire's gun-fu abilities, though? Or her outrunning a helicopter?

Sojgat

It still had some over the top stuff, but it has gotten worse since the films. I blame Capcom wanting the series to be like COD and Gears of War for it more though.

Code Veronica Intro

Edit: Beaten soundly.

News Bot

Banned
Technically, the series slant towards action began with 2. Both in terms of gameplay and story.

The ultimate goal of Birkin was to create a new superhuman race with the G-Virus (sound familiar?). Wesker was originally infected with a variant strain of it before they pseudo-retconned it with an experimental strain of Progenitor in 5. t-Veronica was similar, but the host could also transform and revert back to human form at will.

They were about to go full-retard with it in 4 before Mikami convinced the team to scrap it (and it became Devil May Cry). If it had gone through, you would have had superhuman G-Virus infected Spencer (who would have died), Vergil (who would have died), Dante, Wesker and possibly Sherry.

Evolved1

News Bot

Banned
It's silly... but Claire supposedly gained her firearms training from her brother, Chris.

Outrunning a helicopter? Well Chis is a heli pilot... and um... I uh... got nothin'.

I do find it amusing that people say how John Woo it is because a similar scene appeared in Mission Impossible 2... but CODE:Veronica pre-dated MI2 quite a bit.

Eidan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRUO2VEpUM

That shit started even before movies.
Blame Matrix.

At least BSAA are trained soldiers. How can you explain Claire's gun-fu abilities, though? Or her outrunning a helicopter?

Hm, I don't remember the elaborate fight scene between Chris and Wesker when I played. Was that added in different versions?

But yeah, the point is made. I still feel that the games and the movies are slowly becoming one. I eagerly anticipate playing Mercenaries as Michelle Rodriguez.

Evolved1

I do find it amusing that people say how John Woo it is because a similar scene appeared in Mission Impossible 2... but CODE:Veronica pre-dated MI2 quite a bit.

I might be wrong... there's probably some dev interview or something that contradicts this... but I've always had the impression they wanted to do action from the start. They just couldn't. Limitation of the medium at the time. They injected it in wherever they could though. With boss fights and things. And in cinematics.

I watch the RE3 opening and think to myself... these folks want to make an action game bad.

Hm, I don't remember the elaborate fight scene between Chris and Wesker when I played. Was that added in different versions?

But yeah, the point is made. I still feel that the games and the movies are slowly becoming one. I eagerly anticipate playing Mercenaries as Michelle Rodriguez.

Please do not says things like this... it upsets me.

News Bot

Banned

You'll be waiting quite a while. The games add small references to the movies (lasers, Red Queen, zombie neck snapping with thighs, etc), but that's about it. They've already stated they think they should remain otherwise completely separate. Hopefully, anyway.

I might be wrong... there's probably some dev interview or something that contradicts this... but I've always had the impression they wanted to do action. They just couldn't. Limitation of the medium at the time. They injected in wherever they could though. With boss fights and things. And in cinematics.

I watch the RE3 opening and think to myself... these folks want to make an action game bad.

That's actually true. Koabyashi stated some time ago that they had wanted to do more action for years.

Top Bottom