• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

SkylineRKR

Hm, I don't remember the elaborate fight scene between Chris and Wesker when I played. Was that added in different versions?

But yeah, the point is made. I still feel that the games and the movies are slowly becoming one. I eagerly anticipate playing Mercenaries as Michelle Rodriguez.

CVX, so any version that was released after the western DC one from 2000. There are some other extra Wesker scenes in it as well.

Alec

To those who said they never want to see Revelations Jill again...get ready for RE: Revelations Unveiled Edition.

Levito

Banned
You guys will have a far less stressful day if you don't try to rationalize Resident Evil's lore/story, it's a complete and total mess with more plot holes than something written by Michael Bay.

Affirmative action? What?.

When the first gameplay of RE5 came out, everyone was up in arms calling it racist, because Chris was white and the Manjini were black. The next time we saw gameplay, Sheva was added, along with plenty of other ethnicities to suplex.

EDIT: Also Resident Evil Code Veronica came out in the wake of The Matrix, when EVERYONE was obsessed with it. That's when the insane over the top action came into the picture.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You guys will have a far less stressful day if you don't try to rationalize Resident Evil's lore/story, it's a complete and total mess with more plot holes than something written by Michael Bay.

It's not stressful. It's fun.

Mr_Zombie

10... 9... 8...
*here comes News Bot*

When the first gameplay of RE5 came out, everyone was up in arms calling it racist, because Chris was white and the Manjini were black. The next time we saw gameplay, Sheva was added, along with plenty of other ethnicities to suplex.

Images from earlier versions of RE5 show that Sheva was in the game even back when the game was still a single player one. She was still Chris' partner in the journey (although she wasn't from BSAA), but as a NPC rather than playable character.

Eidan

Well that wouldn't be affirmative action per se. Besides, I always got the impression that they would have partnered Chris with someone from the region, especially since the game was built around a partner system. Unless you think the entire thing was built just to appease Western critics.

Evolved1

Well that wouldn't be affirmative action per se. Besides, I always got the impression that they would have partnered Chris with someone from the region, especially since the game was built around a partner system. Unless you think the entire thing was built just to appease Western critics.

It was originally going to be Jill... afaik.

Apath

I've only played CV on PS2.

I did download the RE Chronicles HD Selection off PSN though. Really great stuff for those looking for a quick run through RE0-3 in a way.
Wait.. I thought the RE1-3 codes included with the PS3 version are just the PS1 games. They're actually HD versions? Guess I'm going with the PS3 edition then =p

Eidan

It was originally going to be Jill... afaik.

They were originally planning on having Chris and Jill shoot, curb stomp, and fire bomb their way through African neighborhoods? Ha, yeah, that probably wouldn't have been a smart decision.

Evolved1

They were originally planning on having Chris and Jill shoot, curb stomp, and fire bomb their way through African neighborhoods? Ha, yeah, that probably wouldn't have been a smart decision.

I don't recall where I read that... so I could be wrong.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Second thought on Wesker coming back.

Alex was watching the events of RE5 from afar. When Wesker gets rockets to the face at the end one of his arms blows off to the land. Alex retrieves this, cuts off his own arm and attaches Albert's. Albert then takes control of Alex via arm implant.

MGS4-Liquid-Ocelot-MGS2-468x.jpg

"It's been a while, brother!"

Beth Cyra

Filthy Leonistas!

Leon is the main character of the game, and the poster boy. The team made his game to be what alot of people wanted after 5 while Chirs became action.

People perfering Leon's section isn't going to be even remotely rare so you might as well get use to that.

Leon is the main character of the game, and the poster boy. The team made his game to be what alot of people wanted after 5 while Chirs became action.

People perfering Leon's section isn't going to be even remotely rare so you might as well get use to that.

Judging from the demo, and from the fact that Chris sucks ass as a character. It's pretty obvious why people would prefer Leon's campaign.

Evolved1

Again... and I will refer to one of EricB's earlier posts to illustrate the point:

Leon runs away from boulders. Chris falcon punches them.

And my own point:

Leon's job was security detail to the President. POTUS died on his watch... by Leon's own hand.

Chris' job was to save Jill and stop Wesker. He accomplished both, while keeping Sheva alive.

Maybe Chris should have been guarding the President... might still be alive.

Beth Cyra

Again... and I will refer to one of EricB's earlier posts to illustrate the point:

Leon runs away from boulders. Chris falcon punches them.

And my own point:

Leon's job was security detail to the President. POTUS died on his watch... by Leon's own hand.

Chris' job was to save Jill and stop Wesker. He accomplished both, while keeping Sheva alive.

Maybe Chris should have been guarding the President... might still be alive.

I like Both Chris and Leon and while I much prefer Chris I have no desire to argue with people like Bionic who want to scream that Chris is a bad character and yet Leon is some how good.

The point is Leon is very popular (as is Chris so let it go people) and the lead as well as having the Gothic Horror style, regardless of love for either Leon is going to be the most popular character when it comes to RE6.

Levito

Banned
Images from earlier versions of RE5 show that Sheva was in the game even back when the game was still a single player one. She was still Chris' partner in the journey (although she wasn't from BSAA), but as a NPC rather than playable character.

Never heard this before, link?

Got any specific examples?

Resident evil 2 and many of the events surrounding it, here's one example:

There's a file in RE2 and states that there was a road block/barricade(s) surrounding Raccoon City to keep people from going in, but was being overrun and was abandoned. You see one of these very barricade(s) being set up in Resident Evil Outbreak.

However, in Resident Evil: Degeneration, there's a scene were the films villain, Curtis Miller, is trying to get get back into Raccoon City to get to his family in a flashback, but low and behold there's an armed barricade stopping him. Capcom can never decide if the city had road blocks/barricades around it or not.

That's not even the bad part though, in RE2 Leon and Claire just waltz into town having no idea what's happened to the city. Leon is enough of a goody-good to show up to town IN UNIFORM AND ARMED before ever even setting foot in the police department he works for, but he wont call or communicate with his superiors/co-workers before hand? How could be possibly have no idea what was going on when it was national news? What happened to Raccoon City didn't happen overnight either, so his lack of communication just seems more and more unlikely and stupid. Think about when 9/11 happened, the entire world immediately knew about it. Something on the scale of Raccoon City would not go unnoticed by many people, let alone a goddamn police officer moving to the same city. Claire could maybe get a pass about not knowing about what was going on in the city being a dumb college kid and all, but I highly doubt it.

Also, Leon's not even on duty yet either, he's never even been to the damn city before, isn't the police department supposed to be the ones to give him his uniform and gun? The idea that a police officer could show up in the city he's about to work for and have no idea of the fucking shitstorm going on is laughable.

Admittedly that's far more detail than I should have bother to go into in this thread, but it's always annoyed me. That said it's also far from Resident Evil's biggest problems in terms of story/plot/characters. How about that virtually every RE character is just an archetype and nothing more?

So when is a PC version coming?

My PS3 wont fully start up and keeps flasing red. Which I take is the RFLOD....is there any way to fix that at home or do I have to pay more than its worth to service?

News Bot

Banned
Resident evil 2 and many of the events surrounding it, here's one example:

There's a file in RE2 and states that there was a road block/barricade(s) surrounding Raccoon City to keep people from going in, but was being overrun and was abandoned. You see one of these very barricade(s) being set up in Resident Evil Outbreak.

However, in Resident Evil: Degeneration, there's a scene were the films villain, Curtis Miller, is trying to get get back into Raccoon City to get to his family in a flashback, but low and behold there's an armed barricade stopping him. Capcom can never decide if the city had road blocks/barricades around it or not.

That's not even the bad part though, in RE2 Leon and Claire just waltz into town having no idea what's happened to the city. Leon is enough of a goody-good to show up to town IN UNIFORM AND ARMED before ever even setting foot in the police department he works for, but he wont call or communicate with his superiors/co-workers before hand? How could be possibly have no idea what was going on when it was national news? What happened to Raccoon City didn't happen overnight either, so his lack of communication just seems more and more unlikely and stupid. Think about when 9/11 happened, the entire world immediately knew about it. Something on the scale of Raccoon City would not go unnoticed by many people, let alone a goddamn police officer moving to the same city. Claire could maybe get a pass about not knowing about what was going on in the city being a dumb college kid and all, but I highly doubt it.

Also, Leon's not even on duty yet either, he's never even been to the damn city before, isn't the police department supposed to be the ones to give him his uniform and gun? The idea that a police officer could show up in the city he's about to work for and have no idea of the fucking shitstorm going on is laughable.

Admittedly that's far more detail than I should have bother to go into in this thread, but it's always annoyed me. That said it's also far from Resident Evil's biggest problems in terms of story/plot/characters. How about that virtually every RE character is just an archetype and nothing more?

So... where's the plot hole? http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Yasuhisa-Kawamura-Interview-Project-Umbrella

Q10) Did you have an explanation for how Leon & Claire were able to enter Raccoon City despite the military blockade?

Leon and Claire were fortunate (or perhaps unfortunate) in that they were able to slip by the blockade when the military forces quarantining Raccoon City retreated after facing an attack from the zombies.

Raccoon City is located in an isolated area in the mid-west, and is surrounded by stretches of wasteland with nary a building in sight. Since the majority of the citizens had been confirmed dead, the military decided to quickly back off to prevent any unnecessary casualties.

There are many roads leading into Raccoon City. Leon and Claire took two where the military had bailed from. Miller was at one further away in the mountains.

Raccoon City wasn't widely communicated because the government had tried to keep a lid on it. They claimed it was radioactive waste and cut the city off. Anyone who managed to escape was quarantined and taken into custody. Eventually, they eased restrictions due to facing casualties themselves but it wasn't known to anyone outside the city what exactly happened until very late in the incident.

Leon overslept and was late for his first day on the job. He was wearing his uniform because he was expecting to walk right into duty. His gun isn't R.P.D. issue, it's his personal handgun. He had visited the city before and had met a few of the officers in the police department, namely Kevin Ryman from Outbreak. He knew right where the police department was because he had been there before. He had tried to contact the station while on his way, but got no response because, y'know, everyone was dead and he hadn't heard anything about the city being a hellhole.

The characters in the series aren't really meant to be deep. I don't see why "deep" story-telling is a requirement for enjoyment? I've never really cared.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't even know why we're having this conversation, Chris is so obviously superior to Leon.

Chris:

2wdbnh5.gif

Look at how the camerawork enhances the impact of the melee attack rather than obscuring it into nonsense (even ignoring the edited aspects of the .gif). We didn't even know how good we had it.

On a side note, that footage is from a trailer that may have actually looked better than the final game. Also, does Chris ever push an enemy away and then do a falcon punch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this exact animation was in the final game.

All this RE talk is making want to play RE5 again... And I can because I still own it! WOot.

Beth Cyra

Look at how the camerawork enhances the impact of the melee attack rather than obscuring it into nonsense. We didn't even know how good we had it.

On a side note, that footage is from a trailer that may have actually looked better than the final game. Also, does Chris ever push an enemy away and then do a falcon punch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this exact animation was in the final game.

I don't think it is.

The only time Chris uses the Falcon is when you hit a certain body body part and not from a recovery off of an enemy attack like in that trailer.

Granted the final version was still nice, but it was as good as that original version.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Look at how the camerawork enhances the impact of the melee attack rather than obscuring it into nonsense. We didn't even know how good we had it.

Yeah that was from the reveal trailer, and it will be forever burned into my mind. You could never actually push an enemy away and then follow it up with a falcon punch, but the punch itself was in the game.

And yeah man, the camera work in that game was great. I don't hate the RE6 by any stretch but I did love the camera in RE5.

Top Bottom