• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Blows my mind people like Leon. What a shit character. It was a fucking chore playing him in Re2 and Re4. One of the worst designed and poorly acted character in the history of gaming. I wish Capcom would stop forcing this asshole down our throats.

Bravo on the OT. Super detailed, especially the character bios, Sherry and Ada's in particular. I'll be using Leon and Jake in their stories so I can have my cross hair pointed at Helena's and Sherry's ass all day <3 It would be nice if Jill and Claire at least get a mention in this game. Also hoping for some awesome costumes, free or dlc.

Lucent

I'd honestly rather have Chris become a villain.

How would this make sense? Chris hated Wesker for all the stuff he did and he's still fighting against bio-terrorism. Why? Because someone has to and he cares enough about his fellow soldiers who died under his lead. Wesker never gave a crap about anyone. How could Chris become the enemy? They'd have to brain wash the hell out of him.

Also, to the other guy talking about Jake becoming evil and then Chris cloning Wesker to bring down his son. What the heck?

My brain hurts...

Koyuga

[Clark Gable];42494728 said:
Blows my mind people like Leon. What a shit character. It was a fucking chore playing him in Re2 and Re4. One of the worst designed and poorly acted character in the history of gaming. I wish Capcom would stop forcing this asshole down our throats.

Yeah well at least he has more personality than a sack of bricks. (comparatively, chris has less personality than a sack of bricks)

Mit-

i0z0nRMlSyxoS.gif

If I never see Revelations Jill ever again I will consider myself to have lived a good life.

I wasn't aware other people didn't like her as well. Was it the voice actor? I can't stand her voice in the game. The voice actress is talented, but she changed Jill's entire character and demeanor to me. And she still just sounds like Fujiko.

The wetsuits? I was more than down with those. #datass

How does that demonstrate the quality of the camera? Genuine question, not trying to be an ass. I haven't had any trouble with the camera so I'm wondering what's up.

I didn't even have problems with the camera settings in the early demo. I don't what's wrong with some people.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How would this make sense? Chris hated Wesker for all the stuff he did and he's still fighting against bio-terrorism. Why? Because someone has to and he cares enough about his fellow soldiers who died under his lead. Wesker never gave a crap about anyone. How could Chris become the enemy? They'd have to brain wash the hell out of him.

Also, to the other guy talking about Jake becoming evil and then Chris cloning Wesker to bring down his son. What the heck?

My brain hurts...

Video games.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

That too lol

I wasn't aware other people didn't like her as well. Was it the voice actor? I can't stand her voice in the game. The voice actress is talented, but she changed Jill's entire character and demeanor to me. And she still just sounds like Fujiko.

I don't know, Revelations was the first game that was dubbed in spanish, but DAT ASS!! (yeah I didn't liked her face...)

My brain hurts...

He's so focused on the revenge that loses his mind, Alex Wesker offers him a deal, he'll catch Ada Wong for him is he helps him develop the ultimate virus. Chris accept, but what he did not know is that Alex needs Jill to complete his masterpiece. He finally decides: using his friendship she betrays her and the decision finally destroys his mind and soul making him a bloodthirsty assasin.

I think I was pretty close to Capcom shitty writing.

Eidan

Blows my mind that anyone could be attached to any character in the series. With the exception of Alfred Ashford and Wesker's turn in RE5, none of the characters are particularly memorable or interesting.

Verendus

Banned
I have to wonder who the new series villain will be if there actually is another one. Wesker is a tough act to follow; been there from day zero, keeps coming again and again to piss off the protagonists, is awesome, and wears shades. Maybe RE6 introduces the major villain for the next few games. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised there isn't a major villain introduced.

I can imagine there shall be a day where Wesker will somehow make a return. Only for Chris/Wesker to have another showdown. This time, in the middle of a fire tornado, which is in the middle of Washington D.C. Why there you may ask? Because as President of the United States of America, it would only make sense for Chris to have the final battle at his homeground. Yep, talking long-term here. Maybe RE10.

Mr_Zombie

I have to wonder who the new series villain will be if there actually is another one. Wesker is a tough act to follow; been there from day zero, keeps coming again and again to piss off the protagonists, is awesome, and wears shades.

Was Wesker really the villain of the series? If so, he was a really poor villain, because he hardly achieved anything. He was a villain in RE1 (killed by his own "ultimate failure" :p) and RE5, but that's about it. In other games he was only collecting viruses/parasites, selling out to various companies and once in a while interacted with main characters.

Verendus

Banned
Was Wesker really the villain of the series? If so, he was a really poor villain, because he hardly achieved anything. He was a villain in RE1 (killed by his own "ultimate failure" :p) and RE5, but that's about it. In other games he was only collecting viruses/parasites, selling out to various companies and once in a while interacted with main characters.
I've kind of considered him as such. He's had a significant effect on three of the main leads in the series, and was the only recurring villain. Maybe that's why. Plus, he's awesome.

Leon would roundhouse kick Chris into the stratosphere.
Look, we can all make up things. It doesn't mean that we should.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
&#9763; RESIDENT EVIL 6 &#9763; |OT| Jack (Krauser) Of All Trades, Master (Of Unlocking) Of None

ErikB

Banned
for Chris/Wesker to have another showdown. This time, in the middle of a fire tornado, which is in the middle of Washington D.C. Why there you may ask? Because as President of the United States of America, it would only make sense for Chris to have the final battle at his homeground.

Seems fitting.

ironcreed

Banned
god damn gaf is so negative on this game. Why?

ib1usuY48ryOeN.gif

Seriously, even though I am accustomed to the gameplay and like it, I can clearly see why it will be so polarizing. It feels like RE third person shooting, crossed with a Japanese action game that has an unfriendly camera. That is just going to put some people off. They took a big risk and I can see it hurting the game in reviews, but I still think it will do huge sales-wise and will be loved by many.

Fruitster

I don't care what stupid reason Capcom come up with to do it, but this game needs Wesker. Cloning, magic, whatever - make it happen Capcom. Resi 6 i'm not loving the look of, but the worst of all is that it looks to be taking itself too seriously. Where's the next 'complete global saturation' or boulder punching moment!?

At the very least, Wesker, Jill (Remake and Resi 5 face model Jill please - and the Resi 5 voice actress) and Barry have to be bought back for mercenaries.

Yep, in a series full of childish and one dimensional characters. Leon and Wesker are by far the worst.

Yet shomehow, I actually like Chris, Jill and Sheva.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

They made her look like Laura Croft Underaider and changed the really great RE5 voice actor.

REmake/RE5 Jill is the best Jill. I can't recall the voicework from Remake... but the VA only had a couple lines in Lost in Nightmare but they were really well done.

ironcreed

Banned
Nobody feeling the love for Helena yet? She is new, but seems pretty interesting to me. Not just talking about her looks, either.

Eidan

beard guy

you know

the guy with the beard

This sums up my thoughts on all of the Resident Evil protagonists. Leon vs. Chris is a false choice, because they're the same damn character. Saying you prefer one over the other just reveals which fantasy male aesthetic you enjoy looking at more, pretty boy or military He-Man.

Nobody feeling the love for Helena yet? She is new, but seems pretty interesting to me. Not just talking about her looks, either.

She looks like a very flat one dimensional character, perfect fit for the RE universe...

Actually, I feel like unless I play the game I won't be able to get a proper valoration of the new chracters.

Evolved1

Indeed.

Leon can then take his rightful place, as his lackey. Since he seems to be good at that role.

Not exactly. Not only did POTUS die on his watch.... Leon killed him.

Leon Kingslayer.

Mr_Zombie

They made her look like Laura Croft Underaider and changed the really great RE5 voice actor.

I don't understand why Capcom keeps changing voice actors.
Was Claire at least voiced by Alyson Court in ORC? Because that would make her the only character whose voice hasn't changed even though she appeared in several games and a movie.

ironcreed

Banned
She looks like a very flat one dimensional character, perfect fit for the RE universe...

Actually, I feel like unless I play the game I won't be able to get a proper valoration of the new chracters.

*Shrugs* Playing with her and Leon in the demos made me anxious to see what happens. Not that I am expecting anything Oscar worthy from RE, but the voice acting for her is really well done and I immediately felt engaged and interested.

ErikB

Banned
Saying you prefer one over the other just reveals which fantasy male aesthetic you enjoy looking at more, pretty boy or military He-Man.

Pretty much. Which only makes it all the more hilarious how on Team Chris I am!

Seriously. Fuck that Leon guy.

Sojgat

This sums up my thoughts on all of the Resident Evil protagonists. Leon vs. Chris is a false choice, because they're the same damn character. Saying you prefer one over the other just reveals which fantasy male aesthetic you enjoy looking at more, pretty boy or military He-Man.

You're overthinking it, having a baseless attachment to a character is the whole point... if you like Chris.

branny

WTF does no trope left mean?? a joke on "no hope left?"? Trope?
Late, but in case you really want to know...

A trope is a writing/literary convention that's easiest to compare to a stereotype (though stereotype usually carries a negative connotation while a trope is neutral). Things like the types of characters that appear in a particular kind of story or how a plot arc is expected to unfold can be categorized by tropes. Tropes are essentially a way to give name to the patterns that repeatedly surface in storytelling.

Regarding the subtitle for this thread, it implies that RE has long since jumped the shark and is left with little identity because it's riddled with familiar tropes--so many tropes, in fact, that there are no more left to draw from. It plays on the RE6 "no hope left" advertising, yes.

Evolved1

I was annoyed at first to have two no-names take the place of a Jill or Barry... and while I still find Pierce underwhelming, Helena is an interesting character so far with some straight-up wtf melee moves.

Top Bottom