• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Lucent

Mercenaries are fucked up like RE5 Reunion. Even 149 combo means fail if you play for high scores. Also, respawn is simply awful. Well at least music is awesome and character roster is great. Cleared 3 main campaigns and it's better than RE5 I must say. Need to replay jake again to unlock Ada coz cleared it on another account.

Its definitely not 3/10 or 4.5/10 game. Whoever posted such scores must be shot lol.

Yeah! =D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't get it. Capcom goes out of its way to make their protagonists seem super human, and they decide to throw in a pointless mechanic that makes them trip like uncoordinated 13 year olds in P.E. It's a real head scratcher.

It's not pointless, it's a punishment for not watching where you're going. Look where you're going, or stop trying to run everywhere.

If you're tripping all the time... lol. Stop tripping all the time. You are doing it.

What's with the infinite ammo option? Does it give you unlimited ammo on all weapons or just the basic handgun? Also does it affect trophies / achievements?

I ask because Chris' campaign is really starting to irritate me just 2 chapters in with the scarcity of ammo drops. It's just not fun having to revert to melee constantly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So are the cutscenes realtime or not? They look it (no visible compression artifacts) but they look so damn good and all run flawlessly. Seems almost too impressive to be real time.

ezekial45

Banned
So are the cutscenes realtime or not? They look it (no visible compression artifacts) but they look so damn good and all run flawlessly. Seems almost too impressive to be real time.

No, most of them are pre-rendered. The exceptions are the ones that transition into gameplay.

Neff

There's like two or three in the game that are FMV. All the rest are realtime. At first I wasn't sure about MT Framework 2.0's preference for lighting and effects over poly count and textures, but despite one or two ugly spots, RE6 has sold me on it completely. The game is absolutely gorgeous.

Noi

Holy shit, in the final campaign,
while shooting him with Ada's chopper, Mutated Simmons
is such a god damn bullet sponge on Professional. If you're unlucky enough to get paired up, he takes SO MANY BULLETS.

Tain

ugh, beaten two campaigns on Professional now without realizing I was only getting recorded as beating Normal.

What all unlocks when you beat all campaigns on Professional? I'm hoping its nothing I care about.

Goldenhen

I really enjoyed it as much as RE5. Right now I'm on Ada's campaign my gosh it's so different experience and atmosphere from co-op. I've never felt isolation and constantly worry about being in fear of dying or out of ammo.

Bollocks

ugh, beaten two campaigns on Professional now without realizing I was only getting recorded as beating Normal.

Were you playing coop?
Happened to me as well at first, start a new game with pro, let it save and then join, this way I got my records on pro, dunno why it is that way, probably a bug.

Arklite

Just finished Leon's side through co-op. Game is pretty intense, and Leon's scenario alone has enough content/variety to be an average length game. Crazy that there's still 3 more campaigns to go. Orange Box levels of material in here.

ironcreed

Banned
Just finished Leon's campaign and wanted to chime in while the credits roll. Chapter 5 was pretty damn epic. If you like extremely long boss battles, then you are in for a treat. Oh, I'm calling it now.
Simmons returns in DLC and this will be his final form.

0_61_320_Simmons2.jpg

LOL, on to start Chris's campaign

Astral

Chris's Chapter 2 and Jake's Chapter 1 are simply awful.
That boss battle was terrible. There are enemies everywhere with sniper rifles and shit and they fucking RESPAWN.
It's so annoying. At least the last bit of Chris's chapter was good. Jake's was bad the whole way through. I liked his 2nd chapter though.

AlexBasch

I planted a explosive while in a boss fight, it kept beeping and the camera showed it beeping during a whole cutscene. Looked good.

Spazznid

YES!

Just S ranked twice in split-screen Mercs.

Good news, everyone! If you complete Mercs with a splitscreen partner, you get the unlockables for BOTH characters.

For example, if you get Rank A or better as Leon and Jake, on the China Streets level (I forgot the name), you unlock
Both alternate Costumes and Helena

Does anyone know what unlocks what else in Mercs? Spoiler it, please, but I'd love to know.

I planted a explosive while in a boss fight, it kept beeping and the camera showed it beeping during a whole cutscene. Looked good.

Awesome. RE5 also had some GREAT in-engine cutscenes both on PS3 and PC.

Prine

Banned
That boss battle was terrible. There are enemies everywhere with sniper rifles and shit and they fucking RESPAWN.
It's so annoying. At least the last bit of Chris's chapter was good. Jake's was bad the whole way through. I liked his 2nd chapter though.

Well i disagree, im playing co-op and we're both having an incredible time. The pacing and variety of enemies combined with the array of acrobatics and skills available is making my experience with RE6 extremely enjoyable.

Already superior to RE5 for me, THE GUN PLAY! Wow, nothing like jumping over obstacles like an olympian then falling to the ground sliding and shooting an enemies face off. RE6 is the most fun ive had with an RE game's shooting. There so much attention to detail, they've really fleshed out the amount of ways to dispatch foes. Im loving it so far, its superb.

RedSwirl

Just finished Leon's campaign. I like the credits music.

Overall though, potentially really good gameplay in a mediocre wrapper of bland level design and annoying-as-hell QTEs. It doesn't deserve shit like the 4.5 GameSpot gave it, but it's not great either. Maybe the other three are worse, I dunno.

Leon's campaign alone did feel long enough to constitute a whole current gen game for shooter standards, but probably not Resident Evil standards. Five hours is actually short for an RE when you usually count all scenarios, and people forget that RE4 was around 20 hours (playing through it the first time). That said, I don't feel like I got an incomplete story playing Leon alone. There aren't that many questions left behind All I can really think of are:

1) Why does Chris hate Ada?
2) What was the deal with Ada dying/being "born" inside that cocoon? (we already konw this from pre-release spoilers)
3) What was the president gonna reveal exactly?
4) WHO THE FUCK BUILDS THIS SHIT UNDERNEATH AN AMERICAN TOWN?!

Aside from that, Leon's campaign makes for a fairly "complete" arc. Even the stuff concerning Jake is explained away pretty quickly.

You don't know what this game is until (Jake Chapter 1 spoiler or Chris chapter 2 spoiler):

you turn a building sprinting to see the massive Ogroman throwing a truck towards you. I gameplay dodged it by running and sliding right after it first bounced. Felt VERY epic

Sectus

No manual on 360 either. This is normal. Might as well start shipping stuff in smaller cases if they aren't going to include anything else due to cost savings. :p

You got nothing at all? It's not big, but I did get a manual in my copy. Although it doesn't show anything but the controls.

Sectus

Whoops, posted twice in a row.

No, most of them are pre-rendered. The exceptions are the ones that transition into gameplay.
There's only two pre-rendered cutscenes in the entire game. They are both in Leon chapter 4. Besides that, every single one is real-time rendered.

I felt it was pretty easy and I had zero ammo.
there's a chain gun on one of the side streets that can take out both of them quickly.

Just experienced my first real glitch with the 360 version. There was a zombie falling down from an airvent. All of a sudden mid air it dissapears and it comes crawling out of the airvent again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I've been playing and enjoying myself despite all the obvious flaws and questionable design choices.

Then I got to Jake Chapter 2. Jake's Chapter 2 is the stupidest, and most poorly designed section I've played in recent memory. Holy shit. Every single piece of it. Most parts of it are a visual eyesore, or a plodding nuisance.

Spazznid

Whoop!
RE.net FINALLY updated and I now have 97000 points... Costumes cost 60000....But I don't want any of the ones they are letting me buy.... Bring on the Low Poly models!

So, I've been playing and enjoying myself despite all the obvious flaws and questionable design choices.

Then I got to Jake Chapter 2. This is the stupidest, and most poorly designed section I've played in recent memory. Holy shit.

I enjoyed just about EVERY moment of Jake's story. Chapter 2
The snow area was annoying, but you can just run past almost everything in the snow part and then the Snow mobile part was ok and the sneaking part was awesome, IMO

Noi

Beat the final campaign on Professional, that's a wrap. Outside of the copter shoot-athon, that final story was pretty nice. Though [spoilers]fighting Simmons at the end as Ada[/spoiler] feels kind of like a chore rather than nice since the boss right before that feels more like the final boss of the campaign than it.

Overall though, I rather liked it! There's a few shitty chapters here and there, and I loathe the instant death QTEs, but the core game is a lot of fun. Jake was my favorite to play as because of his exclusive Melee attacks, especially zipping around with Jaguar dash across whole fields.

Need to redo Leon's campaign though. I got hit with the co-op bug, so I only got the trophies for Amateur and Normal. So if anyone wants to do a Professional run for that, I'm game!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I enjoyed just about EVERY moment of Jake's story. Chapter 2
The snow area was annoying, but you can just run past almost everything in the snow part and then the Snow mobile part was ok and the sneaking part was awesome, IMO

I absolutely abhored it.
The snow part was simply awful. I didn't run through everything. I played through it because that's what I assumed the game wanted me to do. And it was terrible. The snowmobile section was a disaster. The sneaking part was alright, but felt really poorly designed overall. And don't even get me started about the final QTE-fest that was the final encounter with Nemesis-part 2. That bulldozer crap was horrible. I didn't even struggle with any of it except for some of the snow area... it just wasn't fun.

I thought Jake's Chapter 1 was alright. I liked Chris' Chapters 1 and 2. I liked Leon's Chapters 1 (half of it anyway) and 2. Jake's Chapter 2 was just utter shit to me. The story was fine and what they were TRYING to accomplish was fine, too. They just failed at it miserably.

Astral

Then I got to Jake Chapter 2. Jake's Chapter 2 is the stupidest, and most poorly designed section I've played in recent memory. Holy shit. Every single piece of it. Most parts of it are a visual eyesore, or a plodding nuisance.

Really? It wasn't that bad. I felt that way about his first chapter except for the
mannequin room.
That was cool. The only thing I didn't like about his Chapter 2 was the stupid
snowmobile part. Hiding from Ustanak was cool and I got to see Sherry get brutally murdered by him because she tells me to distract him AFTER he spots her.

Gbraga

How do I deal with grapples on Leon's campaign? Playing on pro and it takes too much damage. I can't even finish the QTE before I'm in the "dying state"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really? It wasn't that bad. I felt that way about his first chapter except for the
mannequin room.
That was cool. The only thing I didn't like about his Chapter 2 was the stupid
snowmobile part. Hiding from Ustanak was cool and I got to see Sherry get brutally murdered by him because she tells me to distract him AFTER he spots her.

His Chapter 1 was just okay. Chapter 2 was barely tolerable to me. And the one perk that you describe is something that didn't happen for me, so it didn't help my experience. Again, I like the concept of
hiding form the Ustanak
, but I thought it was really poorly done. If I never have to play that section again, I'll be happy.

Man is it a chore playing this game. The ridiculously close camera, sketchy aim reticle and sloppy frame rate just makes playing unfun. I'm a bit into chapter 1 of Leon's campaign and I just don't feel like playing anymore. This is sad.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also, is something up with the brightness setting in this game? I have a decent plasma TV, and I calibrated it, but I feel like I need to turn the brightness all the way up to see anything. It's odd. In Jake's Chapter 2
I literally could hardly see anything in the entire snow section until I maxed out the brightness

Noi

No seriously.
WHO THE FUCK BUILDS THIS SHIT UNDERNEATH AN AMERICAN TOWN?!
Do they ever explain that?

Noooope. "This is Resident Evil and Leon needed some underground ruins", pretty much.

Also, is something up with the brightness setting in this game? I have a decent plasma TV, and I calibrated it, but I feel like I need to turn the brightness all the way up to see anything. It's odd. In Jake's Chapter 2
I literally could hardly see anything in the entire snow section until I maxed out the brightness

Brightness levels are kinda fucked up. During the initial calibration when asking to make it so I couldn't see the 6, I couldn't do it even at the lowest brightness, so I leave it at default. Start up Leon's story, and I can't see shit.

Spazznid

Man is it a chore playing this game. The ridiculously close camera, sketchy aim reticle and sloppy frame rate just makes playing unfun. I'm a bit into chapter 1 of Leon's campaign and I just don't feel like playing anymore. This is sad.

I hope you turned the Crosshairs off....

The crosshairs make it so much more painful to aim.

RedSwirl

Noooope. "This is Resident Evil and Leon needed some underground ruins", pretty much.

They at least explain the mansion and police station in RE1 and 2 respectively. In RE1 (at least the Gamecube remake) they have a whole back story about the architect who built that mansion. RE2 explains the personality that made the police station as fucked up as it was. Nothing in Leon's campaign however explains the
mammoth goddamn catacombs and ancient ruins sitting underneath Anywhere, USA. I should've called bullshit once Helena started mentioning a cathedral. Aren't there like, two in the entire US?! Okay, I get that Capcom doesn't know that shit. Maybe they don't even understand that America's infrastructure is 300-400 years old at most (what's underneath that church looks at least that old). They could at least explain that, I dunno, Columbus or Sir Walter Raleigh or some proto-umbrella dude (Ashford Ancestor?) coming over from Europe in the 1500's built that shit in the earliest colonial days like the runs in Uncharted 1. I dunno, SOMETHING. It's like Capcom just assumed that all places with white people living in them or Christian societies have places like this.

Mr. Fix

The hit detection's off for me for some reason. In the demo, I'd be playing as Leon and I'd go for a headshot then melee, but headshots and some body shots don't even register for me. When I look over at my friend, he manages to pull it off. Wut?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
No seriously.
WHO THE FUCK BUILDS THIS SHIT UNDERNEATH AN AMERICAN TOWN?!
Do they ever explain that?

It's in the files (and the overview of a chapter you get after completing it on RE.NET).

The hit detection's off for me for some reason. In the demo, I'd be playing as Leon and I'd go for a headshot then melee, but headshots and some body shots don't even register for me. When I look over at my friend, he manages to pull it off. Wut?

Are you or him the room host? There's a chance that might be due to server lag.

I patiently waited for the release date and it had finally hit. I was expecting delivery so I waited in my room the whole day whilst browsing the internet as well as admiring said edition pictures on Google images. I heard my bedroom door open. I thought to myself "Who the fuck is that?"... all I saw was a silhouette of a tall man with a really nice hairdo. The figure turned on the light and all was revealed.

To my surprise it was Leon. He was carrying the Tablet cases that came with the premium edition. It was strange because I couldn't see him holding the game case but maybe he had it concealed in his jacket or pockets? He approached me and asked me a simple question: "Are you "Name of Customer"?". I nodded. He threw the tablet cases on the ground. I didn't really care. All I wanted was the jacket and game.

I assumed that the jacket he was wearing was my gift for buying the Premium Edition. He slowly took off the jacket and held it in front of me. "This is yours friend." he said. I grabbed it off him gently and sniffed it. There was that new car smell. I placed it on my bed softly and directed my attention towards him. I could only admire the jacket briefly because of what was in front of me as soon as he took off the jacket. It was his perfectly chiseled body. He stood there, with his back straight in a formal matter. His muscles were glistening in the light. His figure was absolutely outstanding. He told me: "You're not going to regret paying 1300 bucks...".

He grabbed me softly and tossed me onto my bed. I became dazed. He went on top of me and proceeded to do many kinky things. He told me that he wished to globally saturate me completely on my bed. I nodded and we continued. It lasted for hours. When he had finally climaxed, a circle like object popped out of him into the air. He grabbed it in a cool matter and handed it to me. "Here's your Resident Evil 6 game friend." he said. So that's where my game was?

He took himself off of me and got off my bed. He began to walk slowly out of my room. Right before leaving he rotated 180 degrees and snapped his finger at me. "Before I leave, I'd like to hear some words from you." he said. I told him that I enjoyed every second of it and wished for more. "That's great of you to say friend. I appreciate it. But there's something else I want to hear from you." He waved his hair in a sexy manner. It then hit me. I knew exactly what he wanted me to say. "That was 1300 dollars well spent Leon." I told him. He gave me a thumbs up and smiled. "'Name Of Customer', I will be returning to these x y z coordinates arbitrarily to spend more time with you in the future. I trust you don't mind?" I told him that he makes my kokoro go doki doki and gladly nodded at him. A big smile formed on my face.

He left my room in the coolest way possible and shut my door. I thought to myself maybe it's time to play the game but I remembered the jacket on my bed. I grabbed it and sniffed it until the next day. Not only does it have that new car smell... but it also carries the stench of Leon.

Top Bottom