• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

The
rope climbing QTE
near the end of Leon's campaign was easy as hell. Didn't the Cliffhanger opening sequence in MW2 have the same control quirk? Not sure what all the fuss was about.

Noi

Since the site finally decided to update my stats (thought there's still a few messed up stats here and there, here's my RE6 profile. Spoilers and all that. Little less than 26 hours to beat Leon/Chris on Vet, and Jake/Final on Professional.

Funny that it even keeps track of "face up" distance covered, though I thought that bar would be a lot longer than it is.
KuGsj.gif

Whompa

Game is amazing so far. Just got through Chapter 1 with Leon. Loving the new gameplay mechanics. Really want to unlock mercenaries.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How do you unlock the classic
RE2
skins?

No idea yet. There's a theory they may be exclusive to RE.NET contests. There's a mention in an upcoming contest that whoever wins the 'Urban Chaos' Mercenaries high score contest in 1st will win a 'special prize'. I am guessing that these costumes will be given out to winners of RE.NET contests.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
which is pretty hard considering her loadout.

But with a good partner it is more than possible. Me and a friend just did a round of co-op together (I was Helena, she was Sherry), she had the skill for Time+ while I had Limit Breaker (combos over 60 are worth 3x as much points). We didn't get an 150 combo (got up to 128) and with the limit breaker combo, we ended up scoring over 650,000 points (which is almost three times as much as you need for an S-Rank).

Strategy and skill both come into play here.

Nori Chan

I liked sherry's loadout. 2 red herbs? Just find a green herb and do work. Pistol rounds for normal enemies and magnum shots for the high ones.

ironcreed

Banned
The
rope climbing QTE
near the end of Leon's campaign was easy as hell. Didn't the Cliffhanger opening sequence in MW2 have the same control quirk? Not sure what all the fuss was about.

It was horribly designed for sure, though. Why not just let me climb by pushing the left analog stick? But thankfully the boss fight was great. Thought it would never end, and that is the best kind for me.

On another note, I started up Chris's campaign and my impressions of it from the demo are kind of reinforced here. I just played the first chapter and think it is pure shit. The level design is a mess and the AI is dumb as a box of rocks. I swear, at times this game seems amazing and then some real ugliness pops up and brings it down. Don't get me wrong, there is a great game in here, but it could have done with more time in the oven, some better level design and less of the awkward quick time events. Just have to be honest.

I liked sherry's loadout. 2 red herbs? Just find a green herb and do work. Pistol rounds for normal enemies and magnum shots for the high ones.
its not too bad. but I do get into trouble keeping a combo with her, standard Helena and Ada.
Chris is the easiest to keep it going with imo.

The DLC mercs maps >>> the original 3 mercs maps.

The outfits you get for getting an A-Rank or higher as a character and the costume you get off RE.NET with RE Points are both the same basic costume (they even have the same load-out), but they have different colors. For Ada,
the outfit you unlock for getting an A-Rank or better with her is blue while the one you buy off of RE.NET is gold.

Oh, got ya! Thanks for clearing that up.

ironcreed

Banned
Re.net finally linked my account after trying for the past couple of days, but it still is not listing Leon Chapter 5 and Chris Chapter 1. I guess it will take some time to update, but it is still pretty neat how we can unlock all of those items.

Played through Chapter 1 of the Chris campaign, loved it.

So far me and my friend have played that and Chapter 1 for Leon.....and we're loving it.

We really enjoyed playing through 5 together and so far this is blowing that game away imo.

The "action cam" moments in this game are horrible. Especially in
Ch. 5 of Chris' campaign.
. Why am I locked into these horrible camera angles that obscure what I need to see?

see5harp

Really not feeling how little control you have over character movement. It seems like they took queues from other modern third person shooters only I don't feel like execution is anywhere close to something like Uncharted. Camera is so damn close to the character. Part of that is probably a style choice but it really makes the hallways and rooms feel like you are constantly moving through the narrowest spaces. Graphics do look great though. I'm only through maybe an hour of Leon so far.

Xevren

No idea yet. There's a theory they may be exclusive to RE.NET contests. There's a mention in an upcoming contest that whoever wins the 'Urban Chaos' Mercenaries high score contest in 1st will win a 'special prize'. I am guessing that these costumes will be given out to winners of RE.NET contests.

That's so lame if it ends up being true.

Lucent

It was horribly designed for sure, though. Why not just let me climb by pushing the left analog stick? But thankfully the boss fight was great. Thought it would never end, and that is the best kind for me.

On another note, I started up Chris's campaign and my impressions of it from the demo are kind of reinforced here. I just played the first chapter and think it is pure shit. The level design is a mess and the AI is dumb as a box of rocks. I swear, at times this game seems amazing and then some real ugliness pops up and brings it down. Don't get me wrong, there is a great game in here, but it could have done with more time in the oven, some better level design and less of the awkward quick time events. Just have to be honest.

Really? I had a blast playing Chris' first chapter as Piers. Maybe I didn't think about the level design that much. I just figured the place was supposed to look messy and full of random stuff. Felt like I was at a flea market or something. lol.

And I agree about having more time. I don't know why they bumped it up a whole month and a half. Should've left it at November whatever it was. I could've waited if it meant a little more polish and actually being able to implement a few changes.

I wish, though it isn't likely that Capcom would do a character and costume pack or two then just put random costumes from past games on the PSN/XBL for $1.50-2.50 each.
like for Chris (RE5,safari,metal,Rev wetsuit,Rev snow)
Leon (RE4 jacket,RE4 no jacket,gangster)

guess what would make the most sense as an award for Mercenaries
'HUNK'

Dariso

Neo Member
Probably has already been discussed, but any chance they'll patch the blur your whole surroundings thing when you go into cover?.
I mean i simply cannot understand that design choice, thought it was a bug.And damn still can't get used to the cover controls, always messed up and jump over the crate I'm trying to use as cover.
Also interesting how little ammo the game is giving me in the Chris campaign, considering how much shooting there is. Other than that I'm actually having fun with game, although playing splitscreen is always fun in most games.

Lucent

Probably has already been discussed, but any chance they'll patch the blur your whole surroundings thing when you go into cover?.
I mean i simply cannot understand that design choice, thought it was a bug.And damn still can't get used to the cover controls, always messed up and jump over the crate I'm trying to use as cover.
Also interesting how little ammo the game is giving me in the Chris campaign, considering how much shooting there is. Other than that I'm actually having fun with game, although playing splitscreen is always fun in most games.

I can't stand splitscreen in any game. Robs me of seeing everything and having another screen is too distracting for me. lol.

And I just kinda figured they did the blur thing while in cover because when you're hiding behind a box with your back to it you can't see over it unless your eyes are actually over it can you? If your character is peaking out around or over the box, then I could see how it makes no sense.

Spazznid

I'd like to make mention of the fact:

PLAYING COOP WITH A HUMAN INCREASES THE PLAYABILITY OF THIS GAME TEN-FOLD!

The ai, as per usual in RE games is pure crap. While slightly better than 5, IMO (at least I can get past a boss fight in solo) Relying on your AI partner is a terrible mistake. If you are experiencing low ammo, low health, constant dying, and generally not-fun combat, It may be wise to join another player's game, or set up one of your own.

I played chapter's 1-3 of Chris alone and it was miserable. 4 and 5 were glorious, because I had an awesome partner with me.

Noi

I can't stand splitscreen in any game. Robs me of seeing everything and having another screen is too distracting for me. lol.

And I just kinda figured they did the blur thing while in cover because when you're hiding behind a box with your back to it you can't see over it unless your eyes are actually over it can you? If your character is peaking out around or over the box, then I could see how it makes no sense.

That's the thing though, if you use a health pill while in cover, the blur actually goes away. When the animation for the health pill stops, the blur just pops back where it was. It's a bit irritating.

Bought the Jack costume on RE.net, but I didn't know it was Mercs only... and it doesn't have Hand to Hand in it's loadout?! What's even the point?! :(

I'd like to make mention of the fact:

PLAYING COOP WITH A HUMAN INCREASES THE PLAYABILITY OF THIS GAME TEN-FOLD!

The ai, as per usual in RE games is pure crap. While slightly better than 5, IMO (at least I can get past a boss fight in solo) Relying on your AI partner is a terrible mistake. If you are experiencing low ammo, low health, constant dying, and generally not-fun combat, It may be wise to join another player's game, or set up one of your own.

I played chapter's 1-3 of Chris alone and it was miserable. 4 and 5 were glorious, because I had an awesome partner with me.

I can vouch for this. Shitty game desicions aside, I had a good time playing through everything with a friend. Including an obligatory 10 minutes per chapter of just goofing off with how ridiculous the "leap on your back" dodge looks, crawling face-up up staircases and doing janky-ass gestures to each other.

Ken

I'm surprised at all the AI complaints. It's never taken more than 4 seconds for an AI partner to make his way to me for the revive, and they're pretty competent at killing too.

Done with the 3 main scenarios, time for dat Ms.Wong. Serioulsy all those bad reviews are mind boggling. I've had a blast so far and this game has 2 of the best rendered asses I've seen in Helena and Sherry, Bayonetta would be proud.

I'm surprised at all the AI complaints. It's never taken more than 4 seconds for an AI partner to make his way to me for the revive, and they're pretty competent at killing too.
only gave me trouble once or twice in Chris' story.
sooooo much better than Sheva even on Pro.

Yeah, so far they are demonstrably better than Sheva was. I like how you don't have to share ammo or health or anything else that just doesn't work well if it isn't another human playing with you. Can the AI die at all (aside from some boss moments)?

hamchan

I thought the AI was pretty good too. Always came over to revive me, always came over to open doors with me. Helps that they are invulnerable with infinite ammo too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Really? I had a blast playing Chris' first chapter as Piers. Maybe I didn't think about the level design that much. I just figured the place was supposed to look messy and full of random stuff. Felt like I was at a flea market or something. lol.

And I agree about having more time. I don't know why they bumped it up a whole month and a half. Should've left it at November whatever it was. I could've waited if it meant a little more polish and actually being able to implement a few changes.

Capcom probably cares about releasing the game as soon as possible than creating a great game. What Capcom has become versus what they were at the start of this generation is just depressing.

That is certainly not meant to be a sleight against RE6. I haven't played the game yet, and I look forward to playing it with my roommate soon, but you cannot deny that capcom's decisions in the last couple years have been extremely suspect.

Yeah, so far they are demonstrably better than Sheva was. I like how you don't have to share ammo or health or anything else that just doesn't work well if it isn't another human playing with you. Can the AI die at all (aside from some boss moments)?
I don't think so. and unlike Revelations they actually do good damage to a boss.
playing Leon's story as Helena
I was sitting up in the tower with no ammo while AI Leon and Ada fought the boss LOL

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Done with the 3 main scenarios, time for dat Ms.Wong. Serioulsy all those bad reviews are mind boggling. I've had a blast so far and this game has 2 of the best rendered asses I've seen in Helena and Sherry, Bayonetta would be proud.

Ada has the most gratuitous ass shots... it's almost funny.

Noi

Do AI partners revive you with health pills? The few AI-controlled people I've played with always just punch me in the chest. That'd probably the biggest perk to playing on co-op, since it prevents getting up and immediately dying to any attack that hits you.

Do AI partners revive you with health pills? The few AI-controlled people I've played with always just punch me in the chest. That'd probably the biggest perk to playing on co-op, since it prevents getting up and immediately dying to any attack that hits you.

You'll need the Field Medic skill.

Finished chapter 1 with Leon with a buddy on Professional. Was pretty fun...

When I played the demo from Dragon's Dogma, I had issues with the aiming system and camera work. Looks like Capcom addressed as I played through the game just fine.

Jawmuncher

That's so lame if it ends up being true.

Well we already know they can be "acessed" through other means.
If someone really wants them. I have a feeling though that they'll be offered for everyone at some point.

Im more worried about the figurines since no ones seems to know what thats about.
If that achievement is really Get first place 3 times on RE.net challenges than a good majority of us are fucked.

Also was I the only one who kind of liked managing my coop partner in SP on RE5?
I sort of liked it since it gave me the illsuion sometimes that I was playing with someone online. Not to mention so long as you gave her a decent load out and shared ammo, I never ever had an issue with her AI and that was even playing Veteran from the get go.

Dariso

Neo Member
That's the thing though, if you use a health pill while in cover, the blur actually goes away. When the animation for the health pill stops, the blur just pops back where it was. It's a bit irritating.

Interesting, haven't notice this yet. I also thought the reason behind the blur was to add realism, but damn what a stupid choice lol.Probably my biggest gripe with this game so far. Really hope they remove it with a patch.

Nori Chan

Im more worried about the figurines since no ones seems to know what thats about.

Info about the figurines
You get them for shooting the emblems. 4 in each chapter of a person. You have to shoot all 4 of them in a chapter to get a figurine. You also get a figurine if you shoot the first emblem of every chapter and you get the last figurine for getting all the figurines in a story.

Sounds confusing so ask any questions if you need.

olimpia84

Finished chapter 2 on Leon's quest. The
underground Cathedral lab section
is one of the worst designed areas in any action game I've played. It was so damn boring that I was literally yawning every 30 seconds. Not to mention extremely ridiculous and unrealistic but at this point in time I guess 'anything goes' in the RE franchise. Oh, and some of the textures in this game are just plain awful, particularly in said area.

Jawmuncher

Info about the figurines
You get them for shooting the emblems. 4 in each chapter of a person. You have to shoot all 4 of them in a chapter to get a figurine. You also get a figurine if you shoot the first emblem of every chapter and you get the last figurine for getting all the figurines in a story.

Sounds confusing so ask any questions if you need.

Excellent.
Sounds easier than getting them in RE5 since Rank isn't involved.
Not to mention the achievement says you only need 3, so this is good news (Gonna grab them all anyway) so thank you for that info.

Afrocious

Finished chapter 2 on Leon's quest. The
underground Cathedral lab section
is one of the worst designed areas in any action game I've played. It was so damn boring that I was literally yawning every 30 seconds. Not to mention extremely ridiculous and unrealistic but at this point in time I guess 'anything goes' in the RE franchise. Oh, and some of the textures in this game are just plain awful, particularly in said area.

I had no issue with anything in Chapter 2.

Chapter 3 of Leon's campaign was hilarious. I think you're going to hate it if you thought this about Chapter 2.

Nori Chan

Top Bottom