• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The issue isn't that they're difficult. It's, yet again, another boss fight that overstays its welcome and doesn't present a challenge. It's a good conversation break in co-op if you want to look at it in a positive light.

Anyway, shooting at it with a grenade launcher provides no feedback other than gradually catching on fire. No different from conventional bullets; how unsatisfying.

It was during that fight that I realized that the payoff for the last blow on a boss usually comes after the screen fades to black and loads a cutscene. Not the seamless cinematic action that one would hope for in a game so heavily based on cinematic presentation.

I'm in Chris Ch 4. now (already finished Leon) and you're dead on that many, many scenes/encounters go on for at least twice as long as I felt like they should. Some of the more puzzle-y elements are repeated past their breaking point as well. In between the encounters, you have stretches of just walking through hallways while nothing happens, as if the game still had an air of tension or fear. But it doesn't, so you're literally just killing time walking through purposeless geometry. The characters don't even banter.

I don't like to use the word "pacing" because it's imprecise, but if ever a game had a problem with how the exciting moments are distributed, how long they last, and how the downtime functions to complement and enhance the more intense moments, RE6 is it.

It's no surprise that this game is so long, but it's becoming very clear to me where things have been lengthened without adding entertainment value. Sometimes less is definitely more.

Completed Chris campaing!
- Actually I don't feel the armed enemies at all. I think the whole combat has more sense with the close combat enemies...

One good thing I can say about Chris's campaign is that they had the good sense to make most enemies who are out of your physical reach take only a couple shots to take down.

Mit-

I'm really annoyed with some of the environments. Played through the first couple chapters of Chris' campaign. First chapter was a nightmare. I don't think RE4 and 5 contained very many small corridors and hallways. The first chapter of Chris' campaign has you wandering through endless buildings and tight areas. This constricts creativity in killing your enemies, and highlights the worst aspects of the camera in this game. Not to mention constantly taking cover on things accidentally, or screwing up when you actually want to take cover on something.

As soon as the second chapter opened up with a wider, more expansive area, it instantly became more fun.

Ryuuga

Banned
What is it that you look for in a single player shooter, out of curiosity?

I'm trying to understand why it is that people find this game to be a chore.

I've come to expect having an AI partner around all the time as it's become a staple for the series it seems. I personally feel it was the one flaw against anything good Revelations had to offer, but your reliance on them to open doors seems a LOT more prevalent than in past games. You get a chance to wander off the beaten path maybe once or twice (so far) per area but then the next several doors are met with "Hey help me kick this shit down!" ad nauseam. It'd be kind of nice if you had the option of either playing alone or with an AI partner should you choose to, but I understand and have come to accept that the game is built heavily around co-op.

As for the game mechanics themselves, I find myself learning more about the game through this thread because the game itself does a really poor job of teaching you its basic structure. I don't mind learning from my mistakes, but the frustration comes from adapting to new enemies or environments before gaining full understanding of how to approach a standard encounter unscathed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There is something weirdly addicting and fun about agent hunt...

It is brilliant... since RE5 many people get their enjoyment running through the campaigns in co-op over and over, but they can get a little boring and predicable. Introduce human enemies... they are fun to play as and make the game more challenging for the agents. Just really great idea, and works well. It's fun as hell.

Even when I die repeatedly as the attacker... still fun. Can't wait to play more of that. But first, Ada.

Ugh... This game... why does it suffer from frame rate drops? And it was pretty consistent during Leon's Campaign.
Outside the Cemetery before going into the cathedral
and other places. It's such a fucking turn off.

Neiteio

RE6 can only wish to be as polished as 4 was in terms of pacing, scenario design and variety. But the core combat is really fun. I'd say overall is clearly not as fun but still a good game.
I think this is fairly apt, though I would say the variety is as great or greater. It's the pacing that seems a bit uneven, though replaying the "uneven" bits makes them gel better. And there's actually some extensive and atmospheric exploration in places, like the cathedral and cemetery in Leon Chapter 2. (Actually, that whole chapter, which lasted two to three hours long, felt like a new RE4 chapter, right down to the settings and atmosphere)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ugh... This game... why does it suffer from frame rate drops? And it was pretty consistent during Leon's Campaign.
Outside the Cemetery before going into the cathedral
and other places. It's such a fucking turn off.
Which version? They both seem to suffer pretty badly.

They simply pushed the engine a bit too hard this time around.

Neiteio

Framerate drops? Where? I'm on PS3 and have done two chapters for each character so far. I play a lot of PC games so I think I would notice this.

dark10x

Framerate drops? Where? I'm on PS3 and have done two chapters for each character so far. I play a lot of PC games so I think I would notice this.
Are you kidding? The framerate drops all the time. It's not unplayable or anything, but it's definitely not as smooth as it should be.

Neiteio

Are you kidding? The framerate drops all the time. It's not unplayable or anything, but it's definitely not as smooth as it should be.
I'm dead serious -- I haven't noticed any framerate drops. The only real graphical issue I've seen are some muddy textures here and there, such as on the walls in the last room of the Prelude -- that was some serious BioShock PS3 pre-patch shit. But otherwise, the framerate seems smooth, and it even looks like there is some anti-aliasing going on -- the edges are quite smooth.

I'm dead serious -- I haven't noticed any framerate drops. The only real graphical issue I've seen are some muddy textures here and there, such as on the walls in the last room of the Prelude -- that was some serious BioShock PS3 pre-patch shit. But otherwise, the framerate seems smooth, and it even looks like there is some anti-aliasing going on -- the edges on everything is quite smooth.

Just boot up the
Cemetery
chapter for Leon and try it out. It's terrible.

I think this is fairly apt, though I would say the variety is as great or greater. It's the pacing that seems a bit uneven, though replaying the "uneven" bits makes them gel better. And there's actually some extensive and atmospheric exploration in places, like the cathedral and cemetery in Leon Chapter 2. (Actually, that whole chapter, which lasted two to three hours long, felt like a new RE4 chapter, right down to the settings and atmosphere)

I'd say that is maybe why Leon chapter 2 is my favorite right now.

But I can't say is has more variety, beacuse it might have actually more setpieces, but some of them they are repeated over and over. How many times RE4 cabin was repeated in RE6?.

I never felt like I was repeating the same stuff in RE4.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm dead serious -- I haven't noticed any framerate drops. The only real graphical issue I've seen are some muddy textures here and there, such as on the walls in the last room of the Prelude -- that was some serious BioShock PS3 pre-patch shit. But otherwise, the framerate seems smooth, and it even looks like there is some anti-aliasing going on -- the edges are quite smooth.

I don't know if acute drops in the framerate are as much a problem as areas, encounters, and enemy animations that often feel like they are running sub 25-fps for longer periods of time.

But I can't say is has more variety, beacuse it might have actually more setpieces, but some of them they are repeated over and over. How many times RE4 cabin was repeated in RE6?.

I definitely have a hard time giving the game credit for its great variety when it so often feels like you're doing one thing for way too long, or doing the same thing several times in a row.

dark10x

Hmmm...

Only through Leon Chapter 3 thus far but there has been a TON of variety.

Think of all the different places you go through in those first three chapters. It's really quite impressive.

Campus -> Sewers -> Subway -> City Streets -> Shop -> Cemetary -> Cathedral -> Underground Lab -> Ruins -> Underwater section etc.

Each one offers a different type of gameplay and pacing as well.

Evolved1

So... you only get points in mercs if you stay alive to the end, right? We had a really good game/combo going last night but my partner died. :(

Man, that would've unlocked some stuff. Even today I was playing a little bit with randoms and they kept getting killed near the end. Play a long match and lose everything. Kick in the balls. Especially since I was hardly ever touched. My random partners kept running away from me, they get swarmed and killed, and are too far for me to reach them.

Will have to play this is strictly people on the FL I think.

Evolved1

Hmmm...

Think of all the different places you go through in those first three chapters. It's really quite impressive.

Campus -> Sewers -> Subway -> City Streets -> Shop -> Cemetary -> Cathedral -> Underground Lab -> Ruins -> Underwater section etc.

Dark... please have some consideration and spoiler that. I can't believe you would post that. The entire sequence of the main campaign. Not everyone has played it. The game is 2 days old.

Jesus christ.

Evolved1

Does anyone have recommendations as to which skill points that are worth investing in?

imo... it depends on the situation, but I buffed melee and defense (got those both to lvl 2) and I increased my combat gauge.

Pretty good all around strategy.

In Leon's campaign I had break free for a while, and during Chris I had the one where your partner can give you pills during a revive (lvl 1). Those were handy I guess, but the main three (melee, defense, combat gauge) were very effective.

Carbonox

So I'm going through on Veteran now as the opposite characters. I definitely can notice the damage increase from enemies. However, I'm ending up with far more ammo now that I'm more used to the melee system. 200 spare bullets for Helena's handgun with barely any use out of the Hydra/Shotgun either.

Still, I've burned through so many damn green herbs already.

Hmmm...

Yeah, scenario variety is great but take a look to Leon's chapter 1.

You get the same:"survive the enemy wave" setpiece
like 4 times, and 3 times on a row at the end of the chapter.
(spoilered for those that may care about). I mean overall they may be a lot of variety but there's also a lot of repetition.

I never felt that way with RE4 and it was always fresh and imaginative.

dark10x

Dark... please have some consideration and spoiler that. I can't believe you would post that. The entire sequence of the main campaign. Not everyone has played it. The game is 2 days old.

Jesus christ.
Sorry about that. It's just the first two and a half chapters out of Leon's campaign but you're right.

It just seems that most people hate the game so damn much that it hardly matters.

Sojgat

Does anyone have recommendations as to which skill points that are worth investing in?

Firepower - level 3 of this makes weapon damage and feedback feel great.
Lockon - less laser jiggle and better aiming, makes shooting feel much better
Breakout - it's cheap and it's useful in Leon's campaign a lot.
Combat Gauge Boost - expensive, but level 1 is enough to make encounters a lot more fun
Melee - level 3 destroys
Defense- useful but I never use it anymore

Replicant

(spoilered for those that may care about). I mean overall they may be a lot of variety but there's also a lot of repetition.

You got to be joking! If anything RE4 is the King of Repetition. The same villagers Ganados, the same angry farmers and aunts carrying pitchforks, repeat and rinse. Then move on only to find more of the same sets of angry farmers within the same old village sets. Mixed it up with boring-looking trolls and some crazy napoleon midget. RE4 has the least variety when it comes to enemies and enemies encounters.

omonimo

Banned

From the demo & watching the walkthrough, fps on ps3 seems pretty atroucious. Curiously on 360 in some walkthrough seems more fine to the ps3 (not like RE5 360 however) in other terrible. I don't know what gonna happens, maybe a cache problem?

Feindflug

Firepower - level 3 of this makes weapon damage and feedback feel great.
Lockon - less laser jiggle and better aiming, makes shooting feel much better
Breakout - it's cheap and it's useful in Leon's campaign a lot.
Combat Gauge Boost - expensive, but level 1 is enough to make encounters a lot more fun
Melee - level 3 destroys
Defense- useful but I never use it anymore

What exactly is the difference between Lock-on and Rock Steady? I wonder which is better, I guess I'll have to try both and see...for now I use Firepower lv.2, Item Drop Increase and Rock Steady lv.2.

BTW I completed Leon's Campaign yesterday in one sitting and really enjoyed it, Leon's campaign alone is better than RE5 IMO.

Tonight I'll start Chris and I'm really curious for this since the impressions are so mixed on this one...also Mercs is fuckin' awesome! :)

Spazznid

Spoiler with bosses in general...

I can finally understand why bad guys hate the player so much. They kill you and kill you, and you just keep coming back, and every time you do, you're usually stronger and more annoying... Just like the bosses in this game.... FUCK.

Also on the unlockable
Ada
campaign,
Chapter 1, THOSE FREAKING BEE THINGS. I have one clip for my smg, and 4 shot from my shotgun, and I died about 6 times, then I FINALLY killed them, and realize that they'll keep respawning anyways.

jorgeton

Finished Leon's campaign last night, and the best thing about this game so far is def. the variety of set pieces. The game just throws new set piece after new set piece at you. Some are a little iffy, but some are excellent. The game is very hard to put down since you want to see what kind of insanity the game has in store for you.

And Leon's last boss sequence is nuts. It goes from fun, to frustrating, to fun again. I have to give it props for just how off the wall and protracted it is.

Sojgat

What exactly is the difference between Lock-on and Rock Steady? I wonder which is better, I guess I'll have to try both and see...for now I use Firepower lv.2, Item Drop Increase and Rock Steady lv.2.

BTW I completed Leon's Campaign yesterday in one setting and really enjoyed it, Leon's campaign alone is better than RE5 IMO.

Tonight I'll start Chris and I'm really curious for this since the impressions are so mixed on this one...also Mercs is fuckin' awesome! :)

Rock steady reduces the recoil after firing shots, Lock-on steadies your aim before firing and increases accuracy. I put 1 level into Rock steady and didn't feel it added anything.

There are a few ways to farm for skills points if you want to google them.

The major problem I have with Leons campaign is the pacing. There should've been cleaner breaks. As you tend to go through 2 or 3 cycles of slow periods that slowly rise and climax with a horde or 'boss' fight and then the cycle repeats.
I would've liked clean breaks between when you escape the campus and when you roam the city. I also think there should've been another break right after you defeat the fog monster/lisa trevor like creature before entering the underground lab. The last 1/3 of each chapter just felt like it was dragging and I was hoping it would end soon. Not to say there wasn't fun in a lot of the scenarios but going through 3 cycles of the tension rising and climaxing with a horde of enemies/boss fight without any pay off story or gameplay wise starts getting frustrating.

Evolved1

Spoiler with bosses in general...

I can finally understand why bad guys hate the player so much. They kill you and kill you, and you just keep coming back, and every time you do, you're usually stronger and more annoying... Just like the bosses in this game.... FUCK.

Also on the unlockable
Ada
campaign,
Chapter 1, THOSE FREAKING BEE THINGS. I have one clip for my smg, and 4 shot from my shotgun, and I died about 6 times, then I FINALLY killed them, and realize that they'll keep respawning anyways.

No they don't. There is
a limit. And they're easy to kill if you quick shot the bug with an exploding arrow. If you can't do that...and you're low on ammo... try to run to another room and get them to come after you. Hopefully you can isolate them near a doorway and only one or two will come across. When you have just the one (or two but this is pushing it) shoot the swarm to get the bug to expose itself (sometimes it will expose itself without being shot, but rare in my experience) and then MELEE THE BUG!
lol. good luck.

Feindflug

Rock steady reduces the recoil after firing shots, Lock-on steadies your aim before firing and increases accuracy. I put 1 level into Rock steady and didn't feel it added anything.

There are a few ways to farm for skills points if you want to google them.

Thanks for the answer, I'll have to invest some skill points today on the Lock-on skill to check it out.

Already spent about 10hrs on the game after completing Leon's campaign and some mercs matches, this game is huge! :p

Replicant

Fuck
Ada
's puzzle.

Anyone can tell me how to solve the
3 zombies inside a room that will collapse if you jump into it? I need to get into the chest inside that room but everytime I jump into the room, I fall down into the lower floor along with the poor 3 zombies.

Spazznid

No they don't. There is
a limit. And they're easy to kill if you quick shot the bug with an exploding arrow. If you can't do that...and you're low on ammo... try to run to another room and get them to come after you. Hopefully you can isolate them near a doorway and only one or two will come across. When you have just the one (or two but this is pushing it) shoot the swarm to get the bug to expose itself (sometimes it will expose itself without being shot, but rare in my experience) and then MELEE THE BUG!
lol. good luck.

didn't know you could melee them. And quick-shot never seems to work on them for me...

I've been playing on "Professional" setting.

Man this game is a TON OF FUN.

Chris chapter 2 on professional will make you want to punch children.

Nori Chan

Fuck
Ada
's puzzle.

3 zombies inside a room that will collapse if you jump into it? I need to get into the chest inside that room but everytime I jump into the room, I fall down into the lower floor along with the poor 3 zombies.

Try to pin the zombies to the walls with arrows. That way you can access the chest without any other weight.

Kinyou

Short question, can you wear those extra costumes during the campaign and are they displayed during the cutscenes? Because the GT review said that many cutscenes are pre-rendered or something like that, which struck me as odd since RE5 did everything in realtime. However, if you can wear those costumes during the cutscenes it's obviously proof that these aren't pre-rendered.

Carbonox

Fuck
Ada
's puzzle.

You see the
zombie on the wall pinned by arrows? Do the same to the other 3 with your bow as it will pin them to the wall and keep the floor from buckling under the weight.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You got to be joking! If anything RE4 is the King of Repetition. The same villagers Ganados, the same angry farmers and aunts carrying pitchforks, repeat and rinse. Then move on only to find more of the same sets of angry farmers within the same old village sets. Mixed it up with boring-looking trolls and some crazy napoleon midget. RE4 has the least variety when it comes to enemies and enemies encounters.

The enemies aren't as diverse in RE4 in terms of their behavior, but the way they are placed and the environments in which you encounter them make for variation all the way through the game.

Top Bottom